Perfect Choice [OU RMT]

Warning: fairly long.

Team Overview

(lol jk, Mudkip isn't on the team. He just cheerlead's.)

Hello! Though I spend most of my time here in Smogon on the RMT forums, I haven't posted my own RMT in a long time, and I've never posted a good RMT, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The idea for my team started when I saw Heracross was almost last in the usage statistics for OU! I decided I wanted to create a team with Heracross, because 1) I love Heracross and I realized that I haven't used him enough, and 2) I thought the metagame seemed slightly Hera-weak. But there came a problem. First and most importantly, I've never been that good at creating a team! I find myself making lots of teams and never sticking to one. I'll make an okay team and get some wins, then go on a losing streak and get frustrated, then quit shoddy for a day, come back and make a new team. My second problem was, how was I going to fit Heracross on a team and make him as effective as possible?

The first thing I thought about was how to use Heracross. I really had only used Choice Band in the past, and his low Speed always got the best of him. I have always been hesitant to use a Choice Scarf Heracross because Choice Scarf pokemon often hit like pillows in comparison to their Life Orb/Choice Band/Spec's counterparts. But after really looking at Heracross, I found that Choice Scarf Heracross does not hit lightly at all. His Close Combat hits almost as hard as mixapes, and with much more Speed! Choice Scarf Heracross it was. But then how can I get the most out of him?

I've always had difficulty using Choice Pokemon. Despite their power, I find myself many-a-time in being put into a losing situation from my own Choice pokemon (Scizor locked into BP becoming setup bait for Gyarados, for example). I found that, at least in my own teams, a Choice'd pokemon often became a cockblock in my team from winning, because they would at times stop or change the momentum of the rest of the team. And then I thought (ephiphany), what if I had a team of all choice pokemon? A team where every pokemon was an immediate threat, with no setup required. A team where the pokemon could check each others weaknesses they obtain by having a Choice item, so the Choice item was no longer a hinderance. And that is how I created this team.

Anyway, speach is over, on with the team!

Donphan @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Nature: Impish
~Earthquake
~Ice Shard
~Rapid Spin
~Stealth Rock

Donphan is very important to this team, and he is the only non choice user. Choosing a lead was very difficult, but Donphan fit the role and is able to do everything I want, plus more! I knew I wanted lots of entry hazards on my team, as I would be forcing a lot of switches, so my first choice for a lead was Forretress. However, he has a fire weakness that I didn't want, he didn't have a priority move, and he wasn't a Ground type (I desperately needed a Ground type on this team to help my Thunderwave 'weakness'). Donphan resists fire (so I don't have to rely on Heatran all the time), has Stealth Rock, has Ice Shard, AND has Rapid Spin. Getting rocks off my side of the battlefield is awesome, as it makes my constant switching much easier on me, especially for Salamence, and gives me a great advantage if rocks are down on his side.

I gave Donphan a Lum Berry because I need a pokemon to take sleep's for the team (Donphan takes Thunderwave thanks to his typing, and Heracross takes Burn and Toxic and gets boosted thanks to Guts.) Not only does this help against the not nearly as common but still existant sleep leads, but also against the mid game sleepers like Breloom.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Nature: Naive
~Fire Blast
~Earth Power
~Hidden Power Ice
~Explosion

Despite having played on Shoddy for over a year now, this is my first team with Heatran, and I am very happy with the results. I just didn't like him, but I got over myself and realized that a Scarf Heatran would be awesome for this team, not only in soaking in the Fire attacks directed at Lucario/Heracross, but also at being a powerful check for many pokemon. His typing allows me many switch-ins, a quality I wanted in as many pokemon as possible on this team, due to the teams constant switching nature. Along with his ability to switch into many pokemon, his ability to stop scary threats such as other Heatran, Scizor, Salamence or other Dragons locked into Outrage, and his ability soaking up the Fire attacks that would otherwise threaten my team, Heatran is also strong enough to sweep! That is a trait I wanted everyone (besides Donphan) on the team to be capable of doing. Heatran can also act as my 'oh shit' button and explode on a threat that my team would otherwise have a lot of difficulty with. Some of these threats include, but are not limited to, Calm Mind Cresellia, Kingdra, and Gyarados (though the latter two have to not have DD's or be locked into Outrage).

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Modest
~Draco Meteor
~Dragon Pulse
~Hydro Pump
~Fire Blast

Ol' Fire and Forget (fire and forget that it took no skill). Most people aren't ready for Specs Mence, as everyone just uses Latias instead. After I bring out Salamence, everyone brings out their typical DD/CB Mence counter expecting a DD or Outrage, only to find that they've lost most of their HP or are OHKO'd from a Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump. Specs Mence breaks holes in the opposing team early in the game, creating better opportunities towards the end of the game for Heracross and Lucario to sweep. Part of what makes Spec's Mence and the last few pokemon on my team so threatening is their unpredicability. I almost always nab at LEAST one kill with Salamence. Salamence is also (kind of) bulky, mostly thanks to resistances, and can switch into a lot of attacks and be mostly unhindered. Without Life Orb, he doesn't take a trumendous amount of damage, and what ends up taking the most of him is Stealth Rock (which I can hopefully remove early game with Donphan.) He fits another great role on this team; he is a great switch-in to many pokemon (intimidate is so useful), he brings an immediate threat to the opposing team, and he has the ability to sweep, though he mostly just makes it easier for everyone else.

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 atk
Nature: Mild
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Ice
~Explosion

Gengar is another unpredictable Pokemon in both move set and appeareance that can deal a lot of damage, and is threatening at any stage in the match. It seems people are just starting to catch on that Gengar has quietly snuck around and has become a large threat again, and a lot of teams are not ready to stop him. Gengar fits great on this team because a) SpecsGar is unpredicable and powerful, b) he is quite fast and can act great as an early game attacker or an end game finisher, and c) he is Ghost type and provides an immunity to Explosion, something I really wanted on this team. Gengar (and Salamence) also provide a much needed Ground immunity that would otherwise harm Lucario and Heatran. He also can block spins, though that situation is not nearly as common. I chose HP Ice over Focus Blast, as I have enough Physical type moves on this team thanks to Hera and Lucario. HP Ice llows me to kill non-Speed boosted Dragons. With HP Ice, I can also switch into a Gliscor out against Hera or Lucario predicting an Earthquake, and KO back with HP Ice (assuming they're not Rock Polish boosted). I choose Explosion over Trick/Focus Blast for the reasons mentioned above, and I'd rather KO a pokemon than make it useless, since there are no set-up pokemon on this team. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt are standard for coverage.

Lucario @ Choice Specs
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Modest
~Aura Sphere
~Vacuum Wave
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Ice

SpecsLuke is a very dangrous and seldom seen pokemon due to SD Luke also being so powerful. However, SpecsLuke takes a lot of teams by surprise and can even 6-0 unprepared teams. The main reason Lucario is on this team is because he works so well with Heracross. Hera and Lucario share a lot of the same counters and initial switch-ins, so one of them weakens the counter for the other. I can generally rely on Lucario to finish sweeping late game if Heracross fails to do so, and vice versa. Vacuum wave is a great move once many pokemon are weakened, and is another awesome priority move I needed on this team. With Vacuum wave I also have a check against pokemon that get set-up, such as Empoleon. Thanks to Choice Specs, I do great damage even to Pokemon that resist it. Aura Sphere and Vacuum wave are really the only moves I use. HP Ice is there if I can predict a Gliscor switch in, or to provide EVEN MORE insurance over Dragons, such as Flygon (Lucario can come in on a Scarfed Flygon locked on outrage and OHKO back with HP Ice). While not 'bulky', Lucario has great resistances which can allow him to switch in and live long enough to attack back. He also only takes 3% damage from Stealth Rock, meaning I have at least one sweeper that can consistently switch in, since Hera, Heatran, and Gengar take decent damage, and Salamence takes great damage from SR.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
~Close Combat
~Megahorn
~Stone Edge
~Night Slash

Why is this guy so low in usage?! Heracross works on this team as both a late game sweeper, a check to several pokemon, and a status absorber (for burn and poison, Donphan takes the other two.) Scarf Heracross can come in after a fainted pokemon and threaten a lot of todays more common pokemon, including (but not limited to), Latias, Celebi, Empoleon, Gyarados, Mamoswine, Non boosted Salamence, Rotom-A, non boosted Suicune, Starmie, Tyranitar, and Zapdos. Not only that, but Heracross can switch into Rotom-A (which IMO is everywhere), Dusknoir, and Blissey, and take their status, and threaten heavy damage or KO's with Night Slash or Close Combat respectively. Without Guts boost, Heracross can tear through weakened teams (usually with Close Combat and quite easily after Ghosts are dead.) With a Guts boost, he threatens KO's on pokemon even in good health, and thanks to his scarf can only be threatened by other Scarf Pokemon or priority moves. As mentioned earlier, he works great along side Lucario, and often the two cannot be stopped. Hera works best late game after Heatran, Salamence, and Gengar have done their job getting rid of Hera's problem pokemon, namely Gliscor, Gengar, and Scizor. Hera also does well against pokemon that other teams save for late game, often nabbing me the win over them, such as pokemon like Tyranitar, Infernape, Gyarados, and Rhyperior (whom I still outspeed even after a Rock Polish).

There you have it, that is my team. Please read it all before you rate/reply! I hope you had as much fun reading this as I did making it.

You wrote that Donphan resists fire which it doesn't.

Anyway, on to the team. I would suggest changing Salamence to mixed Life Orb Salamence if you want to have any way to defeat Blissey. If your Heracross is gone, you're going to have trouble taking her out. Another option would be to replace something with Choice Band Dugtrio, and trap/kill her with that.

You wrote that Donphan resists fire which it doesn't.

Anyway, on to the team. I would suggest changing Salamence to mixed Life Orb Salamence if you want to have any way to defeat Blissey. If your Heracross is gone, you're going to have trouble taking her out. Another option would be to replace something with Choice Band Dugtrio, and trap/kill her with that.
Yeah you're right, I was really tired last night and I missed a few things that I'm now seeing. Dont' know why I thought ground resisted fire :|

Anyway, I thought about Salamence being a mix, but its something I don't want. If I REALLY need to kill Blissey because Heracross dies (though nomrally he gains a boost from her Toxic), I can explode with one of my two exploders and deal some decent damage. I think I'm also going to change Shadow Ball on Lucario to Close Combat. MixMence dies too quickly IMO between LO damage and Stealth Rock, and I'd rather him stay around longer.

5 choice guys?, lol.

well, you lack a special defense guy of any kind (then again what do i know?).
Heatran has enough Sdef and a handy resistance to take any big hits I need. SpecsMence and Specs Latios can deal a lot of damage, but both are Revenge killed by several things on my team.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gengar should have a Choice Scarf, as it helps your Dragon Dance weakness: if it switches in on Dragon Dance from either Gyarados or Salamence it outspeeds and owns them both.

If you do, give Heatran a Choice Specs. Heatran with Choice Specs is amazingly powerful, OHKOing Gyarados with Flash Fire Overheat if stealth rock is in play. Said Gyarados, who is Heatran's #1 counter (usage-wise), is also 2HKOd by Dragon Pulse (you'd be amazed at the amount of Gyara who dont use max speed EVs).

EDIT: You should add Mudkip as the '7th pokemon' with Taunt.

That is a change I thought about a lot. Its a change I will definitely try later, but right now I'm going to keep testing with what I have.

I finally broke 1300 (yay) on Shoddy using this team, I've gained a lot of rating so far. \o/

Hmm..if using Specs Salamence, I think we'd rather put in Latias, who's extra speed helps out greatly, while retaining the same attack Poke. Now due to removing useful Intimidate, I think we should add in a CB Gyarados on this team somewhere. I'd personally add it over Lucario. Gengar is the revenge killer, Heracross the fanboy-obsession, Latias as the special beast, so it only makes sense to add some physicality to the team.

Another direction I think you should take is replace Donphan with Bronzong. While Donphan does RS, I'm thinking it's going to die soon and won't get to RS anyways. It's a horrible lead as well seeing as how Heatran, Infernape, Swampert, Azelf, Aerodactyl (Ice Shard is like a 3hko ffs), and even Metagross has the upperhand. While you don't have to find a lead to counter all of these, using something simply as Metagross or Bronzong improves the team a lot. Especially Bronzong who's ground immunity could come in handy ahem.

since your team is all choice pokemon it is very easy for opponents to set up on you. Currently, LO gyarados can come in after a kill and set up a DD on pretty much all of your pokemon. If runing jolly, it can then OHKO all of your pokemon but heracross...

To HELP fix this I would suggest changing gengar's item to a choice scarf (see two posts above mine). This way he can revenge kill gyarados, salamence and weaken kingdra)with explosion after a DD. The extra speed also allows you to revenge kill SubPetayaEmpoleon, who also manhandles your team apart from lucario.

I wouldn't be too dependent on Donphan. They can get rocks out and then go to, say, dusknoir or spiritomb to block the spin. You will already be at a disadvantage, because Donphan has a hard time beating those guys, and the reason you have a rapid spinner is nullified. Some Spiritomb are rest-talkers, meaning they can come in on Donphan repeatedly, and some Dusknoir carry Ice Punch, wearing down your Donphan. Notably, this team has no form of recovery, so every entry, which are too common on a choice team, takes a toll.
One weakness I see is Crocune (Rest, Sleep Talk, Surf, Roar). Suicune can come in on plenty of moves, roar away your counter (gengar or salamence probably) to something else. Thats already two guys who took damage via entry hazards, and Suicune didn't take a hit yet. You will need something like Draco Meteor or Explosion to take out suicune, and that either cripples salamence, who takes 25% damage upon entry, or leaves one member dead from exploding. My advice? Put trick on Gengar, which cripples such Pokemon and gives him a chance to get recovery through leftovers, which your team really needs.

blissey can wall this team with her fat behind, but really any team with people on it using sub or protect can totally exploit x5 choice items
i also cant see this team revenge killing much, its too easy to just run
youre definitely going to want that donphan i cant begin to imagine what kind of switching you have to do =/

because of all this switching i imagine your opponent isnt short of opportunities to set up, and as soon as the first thing dies your team can get swept pretty easily

with donphan gone (if they got any toxic spikes out there will be problems) a salamence with just 1 DD can sweep that entire team with outrage/earthquake
with heracross gone the standard wishbliss can wall to infinity with protect, itll scout out your explosions then thats just epic waste -.- same for anything with substitute or protect

id personally take out lucario and replace it with another physical attacker. its really slow (comparatively)
if it really *has* to be another choice user id use CBzor
with u-turn it solves a lot of trouble that i said about easy scouting, and pursuit closes out running. scizor is also good to have on any team, and superpower can help solve that blissey problem

The biggest threats I'm seeing right now is Blissey and sub attackers. Blissey will be able to constantly switch-in to you. After forcing switches it will be able to paralyze heracross or hit it on the switch with flamethrower due to how common scizor is on most teams. Heracross can't do much if it decides to switch out. Heatran is your next best option but that is just way to prdictable. If it carries protect than heatran is done. Most smart players will see your blissey weakness if heatran is your only option and will most likely let another poke take the explosion instead. Salamence is outclassed by lati as far as specs go so I would suggest choice band. Choice Band mence is a power house and can break holes easily in opposing teams.

Salamence@Choice Band
Jolly
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Outrage

Jolly is chosen over adamant as I prefer to at least tie with max base speed 100 poke. You can take adamant if you feel the extra power is needed in cases such as Swampert and Blissey. Dragon Claw is for scouting your opponents steels early and to prevent trapping. Earthquake hits grounded steels who other wise resist the attack and fire fang hits Skarmory, Forrey, and Scizor. I prefer it to Fire Blast since you don't have to remove any EVs from attack and it is doing just as much damage in most cases. Outrage is going to be for late game. Just hitting random shit hard and getting oppening huge holes in the opponents defenses.

Like mentiones before, you can benefit from scarf Gengar quite a bit but I would prefer a scarf rotom-h. It isn't getting OHKO by Scizor Bullet Punch and is just bulkier overall.

Rotom-h@ Choice Scarf
Timid
4 HP/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spe
-Overheat
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Trick

Overheat gives you a better shot at revenging steels such as Lucario who can give you trouble. Thunderbolt lets you hit Gyarados and also benefits from STAB. Shadow Ball lets you hit Ghosts such as opposing Rotom-a and also gets STAB. Trick will let you cripple walls like Blissey giving you a better chance of beating stall.

The one pokemon I could see being a huge threat to this team on the offensive side is a Machamp. Predicting will be key as you might end up losing your ghost to an unexpected payback. Everything else doesn't like being confused and Salamence is taking SE from Stone Edge. Dynamic Punch is a OHKO against Lucario and Heatran and possibly Heracross. If it has substitue coupled with these three moves, it can be a major problem for this team. Fortunatley, this set is really rare but I still think you should be prepared to face something similar to it. Changing too much would ruin the offensive strategy going on so I would just suggest playing off of resists against him and just trying to kepp him from switching in.

On a side note, the lack of recovers is pretty bad so I would suggest Vaporeon. You can run the specs version, just replace signal beam with wish, or you break your theme and use the standard wish set but I have used the specs variant and it is very powerful and capable of ripping teams appart when played correctly. It also has quite a bit of bulk. You have an Donphan to take elec attacks so typing shouldn't be too much of a problem and it gives you a fire resist. I would probably replace Lucario for it.

Good Luck

Wow, I got a plethora of replies and didn't even see them!

Aeroblacktyl, I realize that Latias is specsmence +1 but I was using him completely for the surprise factor. I will give him a try though.

Bronzong definitely is a better choice than Donphan... I started to realize that while he looks good on paper, he's more
like Donfail. Bronzong doesn't mind T-Wave anyway. I would be willing to try CB Gyara if I change SpecsMence to Latias; I feel like my team would be too weak to SR otherwise.

I tried ScarfGar, and while he is extremely helpful in revenge killing, he doesn't provide as much power. I tried switching his spec's with heatrans scarf, and Heatran just didn't feel as powerful. I might just change Hera to a CB version and then put the scarf on Gengar so I don't have 3 choice users.

Thanks for the rates guys!

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I think keeping scarfGar might be a good idea, as atm it looks like your team is torn to shreads by a standard DD-mence. He can come in on so much of your team especially after a poke has fainted. hydro pump from your spec's mence does under half, with intimidate hera's doing under half, and so does lucarios stab. he the proceeds to sweep your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)