Phione MS?

Hey guys- I've looked all over the place, but I haven't been able to find a good moveset for Phione anywhere. I've heard it called a 'poor-man's Manaphy', but I'd personally like to try and use it simply because it's uncommon. Does anyone else out there use it or have any good move sets for it?

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It's basically a Manaphy without Heart swap or tail glow, so I'd just use a Manaphy moveset.

Well, a sweeper set wouldn't go too well because it doesn't learn Tail Glow. Some kind of wall, with Calm Mind and Acid Armor maybe? With rain support and Rest it could stick around for a while. And Surf to do damage of some sort so it's not dead weight. I dunno. Someone on Youtube uses a Phione in their battle videos sometimes.

Phione is imo outclassed as a Hydro-rester by Dewgong (although Acid Armor is cool) and has problems hurting things. Energy Ball > Grass Knot in UU where pokemon tend to be lighter (and only Manaphy has Energy Ball), and Phione really doesn't do anything to sturdy non-weak set-up pokemon either.

I mean geez its movepool is comparable to Shaymin's, except it doesn't have a super-buttrape STAB move called Seed Flare.

Well, I managed to breed one with decent IVs... I dunno, does this look even remotely useable?
Nature: Careful
HP- 31
Atk- 26
Def- 10
Sp Atk- 8
S def- 25
Speed- 26

I was thinking of running Waterfall to utilize that attack...maybe.

I just realized that I have the perfect Manaphy for breeding a good Phione. Even though my TRU Manaphy is Serious, it's quadruple-flawless:

31/x/31/31/31/16

I was like "no wai I'll keep this as a trophy" while SRing for a Timid one.

I just realized that I have the perfect Manaphy for breeding a good Phione. Even though my TRU Manaphy is Serious, it's quadruple-flawless:

31/x/31/31/31/16

I was like "no wai I'll keep this as a trophy" while SRing for a Timid one.
Wow! that would make a great Phione! That's a great IV spread!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The odds of quad-flawless are something like 1 in a bajillion. Wow.

Isn't Phione an NFE, and thus... an NFE? Regardless, he'd make an excellent UU guy. Basically use a Manaphy set without Tail Glow.

The odds of quad-flawless are something like 1 in a bajillion. Wow.

Isn't Phione an NFE, and thus... an NFE? Regardless, he'd make an excellent UU guy. Basically use a Manaphy set without Tail Glow.
Phione dosen't evolve into manaphy, so technically it isn't an NFE. But it is basically a downgraded manaphy.

It's very interesting that Gamefreak classified Phione as an "Uber" Pokemon that should not compete in the Battle Tower while it's fighting its fights with plastic straws.

It's very interesting that Gamefreak classified Phione as an "Uber" Pokemon that should not compete in the Battle Tower while it's fighting its fights with plastic straws.
So wait- Phione can't be used in battle tower? That sucks.

-So, should I keep breeding until I get a Phione with better IVs, or should I use the one I listed above?

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hnnn I've used a Manaphy on a Uber team with the following moveset

Manaphy @ Focus Sash
-Rest
-Toxic
-Surf
-Rain Dance

The thing is, you Toxic stuff, then Rest they attack mostly like KOing, but Focus Sash saves you, you Rest again, keep going ad infinitum. Rain Dance was for the turns where you predicted a Groudon switch-in. I guess Phione could do the same thing for a few turns with Rain Dance support on a UU enviroment, but then Dewgong does it better.

In fact, Phione is just a bad Dewgong.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think every Phione should have U-Turn. That's the only thing that makes it unique from other waters. Yeah, Lumineon is the only OTHER water that can learn U-Turn, but it can't really do much.

That leaves you with Phione who is essentially the only water type that can learn U-Turn and use it well. It is incredibly hard to kill if you use a Bulkier Rainresting version with U-Turn and Waterfall, and it actually helps support the team quite a bit by possibly allowing an extra turn for the U-Turn recipient because Phione may be faster than the opponent, therefore not making the switch take a whole turn by in itself, allowing for more rain.

That and U-Turn also helps set it apart from Dewgong. Dewgong doesn't completely outclass Phione, it has many more weaknesses and a stealth rock weak, which Phione does not. Phione can also stay alive much longer thanks to more resistances, and can hit harder thanks to higher attacking stats.

I've used Phione before with moderate success. The big problem, which was already mentioned, it obviously its movepool. Its only good niche is a water type that can learn U-Turn. Use that to your advantage when you're using him.

I don't remember my particular EV spread since I don't use Phione anymore, but I used Waterfall/U-Turn/Rest/Rain Dance.

I think it had enough EVs for 352 HP and then the rest of the EVs distributed mostly into special defense since its weakness (grass/electric) are mostly special, and then enough for about 220 defense.

Yeah, so from my wall of text, basically my message is use U-Turn on all Phione movesets and make it bulky and defensive. :]

Hnnn I've used a Manaphy on a Uber team with the following moveset

Manaphy @ Focus Sash
-Rest
-Toxic
-Surf
-Rain Dance

The thing is, you Toxic stuff, then Rest they attack mostly like KOing, but Focus Sash saves you, you Rest again, keep going ad infinitum. Rain Dance was for the turns where you predicted a Groudon switch-in. I guess Phione could do the same thing for a few turns with Rain Dance support on a UU enviroment, but then Dewgong does it better.

In fact, Phione is just a bad Dewgong.
How exactly does that work? The sash is used up when activated.

I tried to make a tankish Phione once. It failed.

Phione @ Leftovers
Rain Dance
Toxic
Rest
Brine

Brine is there mostly because it was on the Manaphy that bred for it and for a laugh. Silly moron using a one-time only TM on something and putting it on GTS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)