Pikachu, I choose you!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the DPP days, I had tried out Pikachu in a few OU and UU matches and it had done much better than I ever thought it would. It can seriously obliterate many pokemon thanks to its signature item, Light ball. Pikachu reaches 398 special attack with no boosts and a timid nature, which is more special attack than the feared reuniclus all the way in OU. Now, I know what you are going to say- Pikachu is a defensive behemoth! It can take on magikarp and hoppip with ease, taking their powerful tackles like a man! When facing these opponents, Pikachu is unstoppable.

In all seriousness, Pikachu is extremely frail, and is often hard to get in. However Pikachu's good speed and moveset make up for this, though one must still play with caution. This team focuses on using Pikachu as a team player, and has won me many matches. Without further ado, let us get to the team!
Changes will be in red.

Azelf @ Mind Plate
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate
EV spread: 252spatk/4spdef/252speed
Moveset:

Reflect
Stealth Rock
Psychic
Taunt

Azelf hits extremely hard for a little one-pound pixie/thing. Reflect really helps my team with physical hits, and Stealth Rock is for my wearing down the opponent. Psychic, combined with STAB and Mind Plate coming off base 125 special attack is no joke, and hits like a truck. This move completely obliterates many pokemon. Taunt prevents set up of rocks and works well with Azelf's speed. Flamethrower was originally here.. I almost always lead with Azelf, with its blistering base 115 speed.

Yanmega @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Ability: Tinted Lens
EV spread: 4def/252spatk/252speed
Moveset:

Bug Buzz
Air Slash
U-Turn
Hidden Power Ground

A powerful pokemon, even more so with Tinted Lens. I usually just spam bug buzz due to it being my most powerful move and Tinted Lens ignoring 2x resists. This thing is both powerful and underrated, but as of late it as been a little bit meh. Choice Scarf seems to be inhibiting my ability to switch pokemon (due to having to U-Turn on the first turn), but without choice scarf I would have no revenge killer. Ninjask, maybe?

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Naive Nature
Ability: Motor Drive
EV spread: 252atk/80spatk/176speed
Moveset:

Wild Charge
Hidden Power Grass
Ice Punch
Cross Chop

This was mainly deployed to take advantage of Milotic and Yanmega's electric weakness. Its movepool offers amazing coverage. Cross Chop beats the cr@p out of Snorlax and other normal types that dare stand in Electivire's way. The EVs are tailored to outspeed Nidoking and other base 85s. Electivire acts as my second physical attacker, although it doesn't have the raw power the other possesses, its ability along with decent speed make it a great team player.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252hp/4def/252spatk
Moveset:

Scald/Hydro Pump
Recover
Ice Beam
Dragon Tail

Milotic is definitely an integral part of the team. I originally had a specially defensive Milotic, then a fast one, and finally opted for a hard-hitting bulky Milotic. Whenever Hydro Pump screws me over, I switch to scald. Whenever I fell the the need for extra oomph, I use HP. Dragon Tail really helps against set up pokemon, and Ice Beam offers good coverage. Recover is there for obvious reasons, and Lefties is the prefered item for recovery, though life orb is tempting.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
Ability: Guts
EV spread: 4hp/252atk/252speed
Moveset:

Facade
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Crunch

LIKE A BOSS. Everyone has heard that phrase, but not everyone knows that the "Boss" the statement is referring to is Ursaring. With a monstrous base 130 attack and the all-powerful ability Guts, Ursaring hits like a tractor trailer with a rocket engine attached to the back. Swords Dance is icing on the cake. After a Swords Dance, Ursaring can OHKO Regirock and Steelix- a feat very few physical attackers can boast. The given EV spread maximizes attack while also maximizing speed, allowing me to outspeed univested suicune and other base 85s.
Ursaring is such a powerhouse it's not even funny. This thing can single-handedly demolish stall teams and slower, bulkier offensive teams. NOTHING can stand in its way. Anything slower than Ursaring you can say goodbye to, because that Pokemon isn't seeing the light ever again. Even defensive Deoxys-D (252hp/252def bold or impish nature) takes upwards of 85 percent damage from a boosted Facade, those without a bold nature have a 100% chance of being OHKOd with stealth rock, 59% chance without stealth rock. The mighty Shuckle is 2HKOd, but max defense/hp Shuckle with a boosting nature need to have taken stealth rock damage. Speedy switch-ins are also demolished with some prediction, as Ursaring's power forces many switches.

And, last but certainly not least.....

PIKACHU!!! @ Light Ball
Hasty Nature
Ability: Lighningrod
EV spread: 4atk/252spatk/252speed
Moveset:

Thunderbolt
Substitute
Grass Knot
Encore/Signal Beam

Aim for the Horn! Pikachu may be frail, but it is no joke offensively. 398 special attack is nothing to scoff at, and when combined with 294 attack and 306 speed, Pikachu is a true powerhouse. Thunderbolt is a staple for any electric type, and Pikachu is no exception. Grass Knot hits ground types hard, but leaves Pikachu walled by grass types. Substitute eases prediction, and gives Pika momentum on the switch- yes, it does cause switches. Encore is very annoying, and Signal Beam offers coverage against grass types.

I hope you enjoyed this RMT- please comment and like! Any suggestions are welcome!

Hey ! I've never played Pikachu, but I'll try to help you ^^

First, big problem : Scarf Flygon. Flygon comes on another poke than Milotic, will he Outrage and kill my Poke ? Will I switch to Milotic to take the hit ? But with those EVs and SR it's a guaranteed 2HKO ... So I'll stay and die ! Shit he did u-turn ...

Since Milotic is also your only defensive line, i'll suggest Gligar over E-Vire. Gligar goes well with Milotic : Gligar takes Electrik moves ans Milotic takes Water/Ice. Moreover, Gligar has access to Toxik + Sub + Roost, which is good with Recover + Dragon Tail from Milotic.

Because you have no spinner, Yamnega will be badly hurt on the switch. If you don't want to keep Flamethrower, try Taunt on Azelf. If it can save you from SR, that will be nice ;)

I have no more time, sorry =/

Sorry for my language and have fun !

Ok for the offensive, I suggested Gligar because I don't like having just one wall but hey, that's my play style ^^

By now you can bring your E-Vire Back.

If you want to keep offensive and have solutions for Flygon, how about considering Defensive Porygon 2 over Usaring. He can take Outrages from Scarf Flygon (Jolly : 22.45 - 26.73%), he has also a nice Special Attack, the BoltBeam combo, Eviolite and a beautiful ability : Trace.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/porygon2

If you make this change, you'll have a lack of Physical attackers. Then you can try Scarf Heracross over Yanmega. The bug type of Yanmega with the physical power of Ursaring all in one.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/heracross

Hope that I helped ! ;)

Thanks for your replies. I tried gligar and found that the stalller was being stalled out. Not enough attack power. for the team, and for me And Heracross- I've tried it many a time, but it hasn't performed as excellently as I would've suspected. I also like Ursaring's coverage an ability to switch moves- and its boosted stab Facade (210 bp). Not to mention its ability to demolish stall. I might replace E-Vire with Porygon2, but that would leave me with a a lack of physical attackers, as you said. Maybe I could try the very pokemon that I'm trying to eliminate- a scarf flygon over yanmega. Well, thanks again for your responses- I'll try these things out!

why arent u using speed boost on yanmega? after a single boost its the same thing as a scarf. you get the option of switching moves too.

yanmega@life orb
timid/modest
4 hp 252 spatk 252 speed
protect
bugg buzz
giga drain
air slash

protect stalls out and gives u a free boost. timid if you want to out speed other yanmega(or tie) or modest for more power. giga drain gives u survivability bugg buzz/air slash for STAB.

I would suggest scald over surf on Milotic. And taunt and life orb for azlef over flamethrower and mind plate. That would allow you to stop set-up of entry hazards. I second the Porygon-2 replacement as Ursaring only adds to the frailness of the team. How does this team fair against Darmantian and Sharpedo?

I agree on running speed boost Yanmega. Tinted Lense is nice but you need power from specs to make it truly viable, without it many pokemon can easily take a 90 base power attack, making you an inneficient revenge killer. Chunx set should be fine, but you may consider running either hidden power ice or fire to get the best hit on Zapdos or Escavalier who currently wall you, while both Rhyperior and Swampert take heavy damage from Bug Buzz. Both can be lured in by Pikachu already anyway.

Speaking of Pikachu, run lightningrod, it gives you a massive damage boost if you should happen to come in on an electric move, and will make people weary to throw out moves like thunder wave and volt switch.

I would also recommend trying out offensive milotic over your spread. Your current spread doesn't really wall many pokemon it needs to anyway, as most special pokemon you'll face can beat down specially defensive milotic anyway. While you lose to pretty much every pokemon that you used to wall physically. Offensive milotic can still come in on a fair amount of pokemon, and start with the ass kicking, it is also very hard to set up on, here's the set...

Milotic@ Life Orb (leftovers can go here if you prefer that)
Timid Nature
Marvel Scale
~Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Hidden Power Electric
~Recover

Life Orb Hydro Pump's power is actually pretty ridiculous in this meta, with rocks you have an 64% chance (factoring accuracy) to OHKO offensive Zapdos , put Raikou's health so low that he can't sub against you, 2hko defensive roserade with HyP->IB, and 2hko Standard Bronzong most of the time. The fact that it's now an unexpected threat makes the power even higher. HP electric is chosen over grass for the super effective hit on empoleon, it's only a 3hko I think, but it prevents you from being completely stone walled. Reflect support from Azelf makes you one tough SOB to take down

Finally I would change Electivire to Scarf Flygon, You retain the electric immunity but gain a now much needed revenge killer for Raikou, who can currently 6-0 this team if he manages to force anything out

Edit: Forgot to say, you get a luvdisc for using Pikachu at all

@chunx93: I'll try out speed boost yanmega while replacing 'vire with flygon so I still retain a revenge kiler. Thanks for the moveset as well!

@Blazebat: I already replaced flamethrower with taunt on Azelf, I just forgot to edit the post... -_- And Azelf is frail enough and the difference in power between a mind plate psychic and a life orb one isnt really that much. So I'm staying with MP for lack of recoil. And Ursaring is staying. It really isn't all that frail, with the spread, it gets 354hp and 186 defense and special defense. Plus it absolutely demolishes stall, and slower bulkier offense. Just a question- have you ever faced an Guts Ursaring in battle? the thing's insane. Milotic also handleds the lack of team bulk.

@casey90: Offensive Milotic definitely sounds awesome! And as for Pikachu and lightningrod, I used static so I could use Focus Punch, which annihilates giant fat things. (A.K.A. Chnasey, Snorlax, and otherr normal types.) However it is hard to get a sub up. If I opt for lighningrod, what do you think would be a suitable replacement for FP?
I've managed to hold my own against raikou, but it is a big threat to the team. I'll try scarf flygon, though I generally suck with scarfers (yanmega being an exception due to tinted lens).

I actually didn't realize Focus Punch was illegal with Lightningrod, my bad. In that case, either keep your set the way it is (which is fine) or switch to a custom set here...

Pikachu@ Light Ball
Lightningrod
Timid Nature
252 Sp. Att. 252 Speed
~Substitute
~Encore
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Ice

Considering That Chansey and Blissey are OU that only leaves Clefable and Snorlax down here in UU for you to contend with. Despite having no defenses to speak of, this version of pikachu can be infuriating to deal with, it can come in on all electric attacks, slower set-up's, and many support moves to hit them with an Encore before setting up a sub or launching power attacks. Snorlax gives you trouble now granted, but this set is far more likely to get a sub up because of the immunity and encore.

If you are uncomfortable with scarfers, there's another you can try for that slot...

Hitmontop@ Leftovers (life orb works too)
Adamant Nature
Technician
252 HP 252 Att.
~Fake Out
~Mach Punch
~Close Combat
~Sucker Punch/Stone Edge

This little bastard is a personal favorite of mine, it'll be a little different as a revenge killer but it revenge kills different things for you that even flygon can struggle against, such as Speed Boost Sharpedo who currently is probably enemy number 1. Even if Sharpedo has Aqua Jet, it doesn't do enough to kill you unless you are extremely weakened so be weary, however your Mach Punch OHKO's. Fake Out and Mach punch together form a 150 BP attack against targets neutral to both types, which means you have priority slightly stronger that Jolly Scarf Flygon's EQ, which is saying something. Close Combat is for power, and compliments Pikachu's loss of FP by immediately threatening out Blobs everytime he comes in. Sucker punch vs. Stone edge is an endless debate. Sucker punch helps with a revenge kill of Psychic types, Poison Types, and Flying types. Every Ghost is going to Sub against you anyway. Stone edge though gives you the ability to hit pokemon like Chandelure, Zapdos, and Mismagius on the switch hard.

I have faced ursaring in battle and he was slower then everyone on my team but rhyperior . If you really want to keep him around do, I just see a frail team with one more frail member. To take on physical attackers like darmantian, vicinti, and sharpedo she need more defensive investment then that (if you just want to rely on the reflect no need for more investment). However, I am a fan on resttalk over recover milotic as it gives her the ability to activate marvel scale at will and avoid burns and toxic, but on this team the offensive milotic fits better. If this team gets put on te defensive much it is going to have trouble so may as well max out the offensive prowess of it.

Still needs a counter to scarf flygon.

Alright-
After trying out all of the wonderful suggestions, I eventually winded up with my original team. -_- The movesets are different, however, and that definitely helps. I also tried out Offensive porygon2 in place of E-Vire, but it wasn't reliable enough and made my team too vulnerable to status. Electivire really helps with the serious Raikou problem i was having, as Pikachu is unable to outspeed. I'm thinking of switching back to Static/FP, due to the fact that most electric type moves come from pokemon such as raikou, and so I'm usually outsped and can't really take advantage of Lightningrod.

I have noticed a lack of slower, bulkier offensive teams and stall lately, and Ursaring hasn't been demolishing teams as much as usual. As for a Flygon counter, I was going to use Beartic until I found out it didn't have access to Ice Shard......... Yanmega can take a hit and do some serious damage, and azelf takes around 37% damage provided reflect is up. if anyone has replacement ideas for Ursaring, let me know, because it is very slow. Im thinking swellow is a fine candidate. If I used a scarf, I could destroy flygon, most of my team ends up statused anyways. Swellow also has access to STAB facade and guts, not to mention brave bird. it also destroys shaymin, another threat to the team.

**I've also been having a Crobat issue.

One potential replacement for Ursaring could be Escavalier. He still does tons of physical damage to slow stall teams, and with pursuit can put a dent in flygon. Crobat with all his speed has to be predicted around most of the time, no one in this team can really catch him but crobat dances around most teams.

You could try Swords Dance Weavile, as it has all the coverage and power of Ursaring as well as coming with Ice shard to get rid of the pesky flygon, along with enough speed to sweep even the fastest of teams.

Escavalier is a cool idea, plus it has a better STAB combo (altough the sheer power of Ursaring's facade somewhat migitates this).
Weavile is all too frail, and its low-powered moves can be underwhelming. Ive tried it before, but I believe that either Escavalier or Swellow would be a better fit. I actually haven't tested the team much lately, as the homework load has really been busting my chops. Ill try to test the team as soon as possible, thanks to all who contributed to this RMT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)