Piracy and Illegal Downloads

A lot of the time if I use something pirated, it's for the sole reason that it isn't available off of the internet legally. Either that or it's way too expensive to buy off the internet from whatever obscure location may sell it

Yes they did? When you buy a product you implicitly agree to certain common law rules regarding that product - in this case, rules around intellectual property. You can't walk into a restaurant, order a nice meal, eat it, and then say "hey I never signed a contract that said I would pay for this meal".
Not only that, a lot of the time it is explicitly specified - load up a (non-pirated) DVD and the first minute of your time will be spent being reminded of basic copyright law and penalties for breaking it.
you didn't read the bit that i quoted

-I explicitly tell others not to take copies offered to them without my permission.
-Others take the copies offered to them without my permission
yeah, you actually can't do this. these people never entered into an agreement with you!

Yes, mostly music. I tried to do the "right thing" many years ago, but that quickly ended.

I look at it this way - my friend can buy one CD and then lend that same CD to all of his/her family, friends, coworkers, etc. to stick into their computer and put in their iTunes library or what have you. Technically, he/she can also go through the tedious process of recording all the songs off that CD for free from the radio and then lend the recording to all his friends...and nobody would know about it, ever.
Downloading it off the internet just makes the process much easier, but it's still entirely possible otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)