Votes: 16 25.4%
  • New Jersey Jets

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Green Bay Packers

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters
Hey, welcome to another one of my RMTs. This is a Pittsburgh Steelers themed team (American Football for those international users). If you don't like the Steelers, you can go to hell. I'm a HUGE fan, and so naturally I had to make a team centered around them. I've usually been an offensive player, but recently I've really wanted to make stall teams. Also, the Steelers have the best Defense in the NFL, so that definitely influenced me. I'm not very good at stall, but the only way to get better is with experience, so I've been trying out different teams. So here it is, the team:

TEAM BUILDING:​
Mmmmkay, so this was going to be a Pittsburgh themed team from the start, seeing that they are in the AFC playoffs and are doing quite well. So even though I wanted this to be a defensive team, just like the Steelers, I needed the spokesperson of the team: Ben Roethlisberger. What pokemon was Ben like? He's huge and can take a hit while delivering one, so probably a bulky offense. Even though Roobushin looks more like Ben, I decided on Metagross, simply because it flies Steelers colors and has better defensive capabilities.

At this point, I needed a pokemon to compliment Ben well, while still keeping a Stallish attitude. This really stumped me. I searched and searched and searched, but I really couldn't find anything I wanted to use. But then I was lurking in the RMT nominations to get some ideas and I came across Team Probat. This team demonstrated how great Crobat complimented Metagross. I decided to take the idea, because Crobat is a great annoyer with bulk that can also handle important threats like Roobushin.

At this point, I had the basic foundation (thanks, Cost). But there was a large 5th Gen Checklist. I started off with one of the most deadly new pokemon: Doryuuzu. I needed a solid Doryuuzu check. I wanted a stall team, so pokemon like Breloom were out of the question. I also didn't want Roobushin and Hitmontop in this spot because they weren't as stallish ad I would have liked. Instead, I came across Gliscor, who is a defensive MONSTER and can be bulky and powerful at the same time.

There were still several threats that could tear through me in a matter of seconds. In fact anything with a strong Ice move and a strong move with neutral damage on Metagross could kill me (aka Starmie). In addition, rain could tear me apart. There's a reason that this guy is used on over 20% of all Wifi teams: it's because he checks a ridiculous number of threats. I wanted to avoid using him, but using Nattorei is both essential and extremely useful.

WOW FIRE WEAKNESS MUCH? I needed something to take strong Fire moves, as well as a few Ice moves (one resistance isn't quite enough). Of course, with Nattorei comes its best partner, who has both a Fire and Ice resistance. I needed a Burungeru.

To be honest, there wasn't much else this team needed in my opinion, just one more pokemon. I had gotten everything on my checklist, all I needed to do was fill a teamslot. So I picked an old bulky offense/defensive cleaner, one that has worked very well for me on past teams. Latias.

I don't want to keep y'all waiting too much longer, so here's the team.​

Mike Wallace @ Black Sludge
Inner Focus
104 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 144 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
WHY DON'T PEOPLE USE PROBAT? IT HAS THE WORD "PRO" IN IT! Seriously, though, Crobat is so good it's not even funny. Crobat's lightning speed makes it a terror on the field and essentially gives it pseudo-priority on Roost and Taunt. Crobat outspeeds all positive nature, max speed base 115 pokemon (Azelf, most notably). The reason it only has 144 Speed EVs is because anything above that is unnecessary. Sure, I speed tie with Aerodactyl and outspeed positive natured scarfed Politoeds, but that's not really important. Taunt shuts down other pokemon and keeps hazards off the field. U-Turn is a fantastic move to take care of sashes and Sturdy and allows Crobat to be a fantastic annoyer later in the game. Brave Bird is the main attacking move of the set, and it is very powerful. It's a base 120 STAB attack coming off of a max attack pokemon. Roost is for healing up damage, as this is a stall team. Because I am so fast, it is also useful for predicting attacks. For example, if I predict a Rock attack, I can use Roost to heal up and take neutral damage. The EVs I chose give Crobat max attack, max necessary speed (mentioned above), a leftovers/black sludge number, and just dumps the rest into defense. The great thing about Crobat is how it just completely stops many popular leads. For example, Hippowdon is taunted, and then just can't do anything. It has to switch out as I U-Turn to an appropriate counter. On leads like Tyranitar, I U-Turn immediately to Metagross, either allowing rocks or taking minimal damage from Stone Edge. Metagross then uses Bullet Punch for the KO. If they are scarfed, I'll know as they outspeed my Crobat, meaning that I set up with pokemon like Nattorei.​

CHANGES:
None.​

Crobat is Mike Wallace because he is simply the fastest out there and the best at its job. Both are lighting fast and get their jobs done well. Both also help Ben Roethlisberger and Metagross accomplish their job.

Ben Roethlisberger @ Expert Belt
Clear Body
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake​

This is kind of an odd Metagross set for multiple reasons.
  • No Meteor Mash​
  • No set up move​
  • No Choice Item​
  • Not mixed attacks​
  • No Stealth Rock​
This is just purely a physical attacker with a Life Orb, one of the simplest sets out there. The absence of Metoer Mash may be kind of odd to some people, but it is essential that Metagross keeps what he has now. I'll explain why each move is vital to Metagross. Bullet Punch picks off weakened leads. The basic idea for the Metagross-Crobat synergy is to U-Turn out and beat them with priority. So leads like Aerodactyl don't stand a chance when they're staring at a huge, angry chunk of metal. Hammer Arm is an odd choice, but Metagross needs it. Metagross has trouble with some walls, but Hammer Arm allows it to take down many as well. Nattorei is 2HKO'd, and it takes care of Blissey and Porygon2. It's also just the only Fighting move my team has. It's super important for taking out sand teams in addition. If TTar won't die from a Bullet Punch, I can always use Hammer Arm for damage. Doryuuzu can't switch in on me, thinking I'll switch out, giving him a chance to Swords Dance. Ice Punch is incredibly important for several reasons. Metagross walls many dragons, especially those locked into Outrage. It's important for me to have an Ice move on my Steel pokemon to handle Dragons. I also outspeed and OHKO Dragonite, making it another favorable lead matchup. Earthquake is purely for coverage, but it is extremely important coverage. It has great coverage with Ice Punch, and without it many pokemon (including the extremely popular Tentacruel) can wall me. Either way, this set has been working for me, even though it is simply a pure attacking set with priority. The EVs are maxed out in Atk for maximum power, obviously, and in HP for maximum survivability.​

CHANGES:
I've considered running a set with Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Hammer Arm, and Stone Edge for the Rock-Fighting coverage combined with strong STAB and priority.

Metagross is Ben Roethlisberger because he is HUGE. He maintains an offensive presence while still being bulky and hard to take down. He also has great synergy with receivers like Wallace/Crobat. Basically, big, bad, bulky, and a bro.

Troy Polamalu @ Toxic Orb​
Poison Heal
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Fling

- Protect​

- Acrobat

- Earthquake
Acrofling Gliscor is a monster on any stall team. Besides having ridiculous defenses, Gliscor also has huge power. Gliscor flings its Toxic Orb on the opponent, poisoning the opponent. Not only does this allow me to stall them out but it means several other things. I can abuse healing with Protect. I can toxic stall the opponent with Protect. Acrobat is now 110 base power (165 with STAB). I can spam Acrobat for damage and hit anything else with Earthquake. I can also scout, stall, and heal all at the same time with Protect. Gliscor is also my answer to a lot of Ground-weak threats such as Doryuuzu and Heatran. Nothing gets past Gliscor. Powerful, but sturdy and just won't die. The EVs are maxed out on HP and Defense for maximum defensive walling capabilities. I need to be able to take repeated hits from several pokemon. Take Doryuuzu for example. It takes one hit to break the balloon, and another to KO it. If my defenses aren't maxed out, I won't be able to take so may pummellings. Many argue that I need more attack, but please remember that this is a stall team, and attacking is not a priority.​

CHANGES:
A more traditional set works too. A regular Toxic-stalling set works, but it isn't as scary as Acrofling Gliscor on both offense and defense.

Gliscor is Troy Polamalu because of its incredible power of defense. Both are aggressive defensively and powerful. Polamaulu is quick and speedy, but also built like a brick house. Same goes for Gliscor. Both are staples of their teams.

James Harrison @ Leftovers​
Water Absorb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic​

- Recover

- Hidden Power [Fire]
Burungeru is part one of my stalling duo. Burungeru is Blissey in the new SkarmBliss combo: BurunNatt. Burungeru is a Specially Defensive beast, taking almost all of the hits with little damage. Burungeru sponges hits all day long while simultaneously spreading poison with Toxic. He then proceeds to stall out the opponent by constantly healing with Recover. If he needs to, he can use either of his attacking moves. Hydro Pump is the obligatory STAB move, yet it is suprisingly powerful. HP Fire is both unique and helpful. One of the most common switch-ins is Nattorei, who thinks that it can set up as I switch out. My team has HUGE problems with Nattorei, so this is more than helpful. It also stops Burungeru from being completely useless in the sun. For example, Urugamosu is often seen on Sun teams. He can tear through much of my team if he sets up properly. Unfortunately Nattorei can't do much due to the Sun weakening Boil Over, but HP Fire can do a decent amount of damage because it is neutral and powered by the Sun. It also hits many Grass pokemon for a ton of damage. Overall, however, Burungeru is an incredible defender that can wall much of the specially based metagame.​

CHANGES:
Ice Beam is also a useful choice, especially for taking out Dragons. I'm thinking about changing this to Tentacruel for Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin support.

James Harrison is one of the scariest, most monster-like defenders in the NFL. Burungeru can be one of the scariest special defenders in the metagame. Both are absolute monsters that simply will not fall. You don't want to faced against either of them if they're defending.

LaMarr Woodley @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
Nattorei is now essential on every single stall team out there; you just can't make an effective team without him. But there's a reason....
IT'S BECAUSE HE'S SO FUCKING GOOD!​
But really, Nattorei is incredible. It can sponge hits from both sides of the spectrum, but particularly well from the physical side. It stops rain teams cold, which is absolutely vital for every team. Nattorei packs an incredible list of resistances and counters an incredible list of offensive pokemon. Nattorei serves both as a utility pokemon and as a defender. Nattorei can set up Stealth Rock which helps shut down fire-type threats like Urugamosu and discourages the opponen'ts switching. Toxic helps Nattorei stall a bit longer and can help take out other stall teams. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are the obligatory STAB moves, and they are both incredibly powerful. Power Whip keeps bulky Waters and rain teams at bay (hahaha, just noticed that pun) and Gyro Ball keeps speedier, frailer sweepers off the field. So basically, Nattorei completes the stalling duo with Burungeru and is just unstoppable.

CHANGES:
What do you think about putting Spikes over Toxic?

LaMarr Woodley is one of my favorite players in the NFL, and Nattorei is one of my favorite pokemon (even though Tesshido looks way cooler). Both are built like brick houses and are monsters on defense. They shut down frailer teams built around offense, but are really just a stop to any offense of any kind. They both fit the "slow but strong" personality too, as both are pretty slow.

Hines Ward @ Life Orb
Levitate​
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Recover

- Surf​

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Dragon Pulse
Latias is a great pokemon in my opinion, and this is the best Latias set out there. Aside from being the bulkier twin, Latias can become even bulkier by healing off any Life Orb damage with Recover. This set is meant to tank through the opponent's team. Dragon Pulse has huge power despite not having the same huge power as Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor isn't really an option on this set, as the Special Attack drops are really detrimental. The two other moves are for coverage mostly. Water and Dragon have great coverage together, and Hidden Power Fire can pick off anything resisting those two moves, most notably Nattorei and other Steel types. Yet these two moves are constantly changing. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are also options, as they can hit pokemon like Skarmory and Burungeru harder, yet that means that Nattorei once again walls me. So there is no simple solution. Yet at the moment, Hidden Power Fire keeps Nattorei away, which is SUPER IMPORTANT for this team. I didn't want a TrickScarf/Specs set mostly because this is a stall team, and I also wanted Latias to function as a late game cleaner of sorts. Generally, this set can tear through the opponent's weakened team better than a Choice set can. I also chose Latias over Latios because of its greater bulk. Latias offers many useful resistances to this team, most notably Fire and Electric, but it also brings in a nasty Ice weakness.​

CHANGES:
I really have no idea what to use for coverage moves, for reasons said above. Also, I've considered Leftovers over a Life Orb, but I like Latias better with a Life Orb for late game cleaning.

Give Hines Ward the ball and he'll make the touchdown. Give Latias a good proper set up and she'll take down the rest of the opponent's team. Both are almost unstoppable to take out. Incredibly fast, and incredibly powerful.

BY THE WAY.....
...Roethlisberger was never convicted of rape. Even the girl's friends who were with her said that it was consentual. So he's not a rapist.​

Hey, this is a really cool team, and I really like the Steelers theme despite being a Giants fan. I only have one suggestion, and that is CM Roar Latias over your current LO attacker. The reason I'm suggesting this is because currently you have some problems with CM Rankurusu. You can't hit it with spikes damage, you can't poison it with Gliscor or Burungeru, and overall you can't really damage it that much. With CM Roar, you can boost up to +6 alongside it, Roar it out, and then have your opponent staring into the face of a +6/+6 Latias. It also abuses Spikes quite well. The set is:

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 180 HP/60 Def/252 Spd/16 SDef
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Roar

With max speed, you can outrun HP Fire Lati@s and Gengar for the revenge kill. The HP and defense lets you comfortably survive Pursuit from CB Scizor, as well as +2 ExtremeSpeed from Lucario, and the rest is in SDef for taking random Ice Beams better.

Thats all I can suggest, great team and good luck!

btw steelers to win the super bowl!

Why you don't try out Trick + Choice Band Metagross?. It allows you to deal much more easy with Nattorei and Skarmory as well as Forretress and some magnezone making him useless. And also is a great surprise factor.

Another small suggestion is trying out Taunt on Burungeru or Gliscor, it allows you to deal with other stalls teams quite more easy >_>

If Roethlisberger wants a little more survivability, he can run Expert Belt being super effective on 12 types (replace Bullet Punch for more, but I don't think you will). After all, I don't know the Steelers too well, but I believe a general strategy would be to hit a team's weak points.

Edit:Umbreon and Murkrow are both defensive, annoying as hell to take down, and have Steelers colors (just in case you need a replacement).

Could James Harison not be replaced by Tentacruel for Spin+Toxic Spikes support? Tentacruel resists Nattorei's weaknesses while Nattorei does the same. Tentacruel is also equally if not more deadly with Boil Over/Evil Eye.

The Steelers never beat the Ravens. The Ravens beat themselves. And I hate the Steelers and their rapist quarterback and I hope they lose to the Jets next week.

James Harrison is one of the scariest, most monster-like defenders in the NFL. Burungeru can be one of the scariest special defenders in the metagame. Both are absolute monsters that simply will not fall. You don't want to faced against either of them if they're defending.

^James Harrison fell.

Anyways, for your team, I would change Roethlisberger to a Blissey because he is a fat lard... nah just kidding. (He's still a fat lard though)

For real now. I would give Metagross meteor mash somewhere, because he really needs it. I think it ohko's ttar and 2hko's blissey, and you're already fine against Doryuuzu because of Nattorei and Gliscor. The chance of attack boost is good to have too. If you really like having a fighting type move, then I would replace MM for bullet punch, because bullet punch is too weak in my opinion. If you like the priority then take out Hammer arm for MM.

On Burungeru I would either change Boil Over for Surf or trade out Toxic because it seems redundant to have 2 ways of status on 1 pokemon. Burn helps out its poor defenses a lot, so I would take out Toxic and that way you can have both Shadow Ball and HP Fire.

On Latias I would keep HP Fire instead of Roar because a non-scarf genosekuto can pretty much sweep your entire team. Latios takes massive damage from Bug and Ice, Nattorei dies from fire, Burungeru takes heavy damage from electric, Gliscor dies to ice, Crobat dies to ice, and Metagross dies to fire.

Btw even if the Steelers beat the Jets they still going to get destroyed by the Packers.

Tried to rate team. Anything having to do with city of Pittsburgh too much of a gross distract. Sorry!

Switch Metagross for Blissey because Roethlisberger is fat.

But more realistically switch something for meteor mash on metagross and perhaps try spikes on Nato instead of stealth rocks (and get a SR lead) because leech seed causes switches and you don't have enough damage being caused by switches currently.

Bump

@Blazin Kickin Chicken
I actually really like Latias as it is, as a fast and powerful special attacker. I like CM Roar Latias, but I don't like how much set up it requires, and the fact that it only has one attacking move.

@Lick
I like the idea of CB Trick Metagross, but most people expect that (especially if they don't pay attention to the LO damage). Most players tend to switch in a pokemon like Nattorei after I use Bullet Punch, expecting me to switch out, only to be hit by a Hammer Arm. But I like the idea of Taunt on Burungeru (Gliscor doesn't have room for it). What move should it go over? Also, welcome to Smogon.

@Zebstrika
Expert Belt actually could work very well, especially because it allows me to bluff a choice item. It also doesn't waste Metagross's health. I've considered both Murkrow and Umbreon, but neither is quite bulky enough for me.

@jle1076
fuck you, Steelers are probably the best team out there.

@Tyrant626
I've never thought of Tentacruel in combination with Nattorei, but it could actually work extremely well. I'd like some more thoughts on this.

@Transparent Opacity
See comment to jle1076.
Also, I've concluded that there's definitely no way to include Metoer Mash. Hammer Arm is too important (it OHKO's TTar and Blissey anyway), and I need priority. But maybe I could replace Ice Punch with Stone Edge and replace EQ with Meteor Mash, because then I get Rock-Fighting coverage with Steel attacks on top of that. Most Dragons will be killed by Stone Edge anyway, so Ice Punch isn't a huge loss. I also definitely need both Boil Over and Toxic on the same set, although I have been thinking about replacing Boil OVer with Hydro Pump, because it can actually hurt quite a bit.

@Jedgi
See comment to jle1076
I've gotten rid of Leech Seed on Nattorei for Toxic, but if I change Burungeru to Tentacruel, I'll switch Leech Seed to Spikes, becuase I'm keepin my current lead.

So, important decisions for future raters:

Tentacruel vs Burungeru
Expert Belt vs Life Orb on Metagross
Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, Hammer Arm, and Stone Edge vs What I have now
Taunt on Burungeru over what move?

One thing that didnt make much sense to me was the gliscor set and hownit has no speed, honeslty that gliscor sey has no good use. Especially since rank can throw your team around. And you also have a huge weakness to sub swords dance randorosu in sandatorm. Its a veryyyyy hard hitter and can one hit ko everytjingnon your team with eq at +2 besides gliscor and it 2hkos glis with stone edge at +2. hope this helped.

I don't think you've ever played against an Acrofling Gliscor. It really doensn't need speed at all, this is really the best set for Gliscor at the moment. Also, Nattorei walls Randorosu pretty well, and definitely isn't OHKO'd by anything Randorosu has. Also, Latias outspeeds and OHKO's, so I really don't see how Randorosu causes issues.

But Rankurusu is a big problem for this team, but that can't be solved by putting speed on Gliscor.

I've played against many of those gliscors, there not to good tbh. Plus a person with a randorosu will have a ttar so there latias, and natt always dies from a +2 lo eq.

Hello sax king, I am rating upon request.

This is a pretty interesting and well-constructed team, but I do believe it has some issues. You seem to have most offensive threats covered well, but two Pokemon that present issues are a Spiking Skarmory, and to a lesser extent Nattorei. You actually do not really have a switch-in to the latter at all as Crobat is 2HKOed by Gyro Ball depending on their choice of EV spread and if you do switch Metagross in, you lose your lure and will have to switch out. While Latias does have Hidden Power [Fire], it will be 2HKOed by the Gyro Ball on the switch-in and cannot OHKO any form of Nattorei with 252 HP. This team is also going to struggle with Rankurusu as you really have no out-and-out way of beating it, other than making sure you can keep ridiculous pressure on it throughout the game so it has no opportunity to set-up. For clarities sake, what you need is a Rankurusu counter and to reduce the amount of opportunities Nattorei and Skarmory can Spike against this team.

To fix the first issue, the pressing weakness to Rankurusu, I think a defensive Vuljiina would work absolutely perfectly over Crobat. Vuljiina is immune to Psychic and Psycho Shock and with its stellar special-defense it will easily be able to stall out Focus Blast on Rankurusu. Not only this, but it can run the exact same moveset as Crobat and as quite similar typing. Vuljiina is also not 2HKOed by Nattorei's Gyro Ball and can Taunt + Brave Bird + Roost stall it out of PP.

Vuljiina @ Leftovers
Calm | Dustproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef
Taunt / Brave Bird / Toxic / Roost

To reduce the amount of opportunities Nattorei, and to a lesser extent Skarmory, have to set up entry-hazards, something you should definitely do is use Taunt over Hidden Power [Fire] on Burungeru. This will prevent Nattorei from setting up any hazards against you, and if you use Will-o-wisp over Toxic, you can actually counter Nattorei. By using 72 SpDef you will also outrun most Skarmory although you may be wary to buff up its speed as you will lose a significant amount of defensive potential.

In my opinion, Gliscor would much prefer Taunt and Ice Fang over Fling and Acrobat, but that is up to you. Nattorei would also like Leech Seed over Toxic as many of its switch-ins [Heatran, Skarmory, Roopushin etc] do not actually mind Toxic and some even enjoy it.

Good team and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)