Player of the Week 22: The Goomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Favorite Pokemon: Goomy

Most used Pokemon: Sawk

Most known for: Yache Berry Meganium

Disjunction: So tell me, Goomy, why is your name what it is? How did you come to be The Goomy?
The Goomy: Well, when all of the leaks (*gasp*) of XY were coming out, my eyes feasted upon the beautiful blob that is Goomy. When I saw Goomy, it just seemed to fit my personality really well (and it's cute), so I decided to jump on PS and name change from Muddy Rain to The Goomy. :]

Disjunction: What's your favorite pokemon type?
The Goomy: My favorite Pokemon type is easily the grass type. I feel like the variety that the grass type offers in terms of both design, as well as competitively is massive. In addition, the grass type starters are all my favorite, in every generation. So I've always been a grass type fanboy since Bulbasaur.

Disjunction: Do you have a favorite team archetype?
The Goomy: Contrary to popular belief, stall is my favorite team archetype. Although I don't think it's effective in ORAS NU, stall is easily my favorite team archetype to build and play with. There's something really fascinating about trying to build a team that can effectively handle the stresses of the NU tier (the hardest to build in IMO). In late XY I built a cool stall team with AV Steelix that I ended up using in my SPL tryout matches, but I haven't really had an opportunity to use stall since then.

Disjunction: How did you come to competitive battling/smogon?
The Goomy: Back in the day I started watching MTG Xerxes play WiFi battles on his DS. I was amazed by his innovative teambuilds as well as his predictions. Shortly thereafter I decided to get into competitive Pokemon where I played OU. About halfway through BW I transitioned to NU, loved it and made it my main tier.

Disjunction: What is your favorite aspect of competitive battling? (Teambuilding, battling, etc)
The Goomy: Teambuilding. As an engineer, I generally have a fairly analytic mind, and this helps with Pokemon. Before I build new teams, I generally pour over the NU usage statistics (or the replays of opponents in tours) and try to find trends that I can abuse. Sometimes this works out really well (Combusken). It's really fun analyzing and finding new ways to abuse the meta.

Disjunction: What's your favorite element of NU?
The Goomy: I think my favorite thing about NU is the difficulty of teambuilding. In my opinion, NU is the hardest tier to build in because there are so many top threats that MUST be accounted for or your ass will get swept. In addition, teambuilding is unpredictable because basically everything CAN be viable (discounting dumb crap like Metapod). I've been able to run things like Larvesta, Solrock, and even Pikachu effectively.

Disjunction: Which generation of NU did you enjoy the most?
The Goomy: Definitely BW2 post JynxPede. That meta was incredibly fun and balanced, and the focus on hazards was incredible. Had to play really intelligently, and BW is always a teambuilder's dream with access to things like gems, type resist berrys, custap, etc.

Disjunction: If you could make any change to the NU tier list, what would it be?
The Goomy: Skunk pls.

Disjunction: Which NU player(s) do you respect the most? Any shoutouts for your friends?
The Goomy: Uh, this is tough but I'd have to say FLCL. He's been really consistent for a long time and is a good human being.
What are friends?

Disjunction: Do you have any advice for anyone new to NU?
The Goomy: Read. The. Forums. :]

Disjunction: Where are you most active? (Pokemon Showdown, Smogon, IRC...)
The Goomy: PokeShowdown NU room, and getting more active on forums

Disjunction: Do you have any current goals that you want to meet as a player?
The Goomy: I want to be the very best, like no-one ever was! To catch them is my real test. To train them is my cause. I will travel across the lands. Searching far and wide. These Pokemon to understand...the power that's inside! POKEMON! It's you and me. I know it's my destiny. POKEMON, ohhhhh, you're my best friend. In a world we must defend! POKEMON....gotta catch em alllll gotta catch em alllll Pokemon.

Disjunction: Could you give us a sort of mini-RMT of a favorite team of yours to give us an example of your play style?
The Goomy: This is the team I brought vs. Teddeh Week 8 of SPL. It's basically as balanced as balanced can be in NU, and it's actually pretty fat, which is more of my playstyle. The idea of the team is to wear down the opponent with bulky set up sweepers to open the door for my favorite set in NU, CM Barrier Musharna.​
Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Calm Mind

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 224 HP / 8 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Moonlight

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Reversal

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
~~~
As always, I want to thank The Goomy for joining me this week! It was a pleasure getting to see the inner-Goom. Feel free to ask our Player whichever burning questions you have!

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Back in the day I started watching MTG Xerxes play WiFi battles on his DS.
didn't we all start like this? :)
Goomy fren ♥

- When did you realize that you wanted to be involved with engineering?
- How difficult is your program compared to peers / others you know of? Do you have a more challenging / larger workload?
- What's one interesting thing about working at a paper mill that most people wouldn't know about?
- If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?
- Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?
- iplaytennislol, Kiyo's sister, Shofu: Marry/Fuck/Kill
- Would you rather take it in the mouth or from behind?
- Do you stand up to wipe after pooping, or do you stay seated? Do you fold your toilet paper, or do you scrunch it up into a ball?
- Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket or your front pocket? Where do you keep your phone?
- Don't Starve is a great game, wouldn't you agree? :]

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Do you have a youtube channel?
Is user: iplaytennislol ready for SPL 7?
Tom Bus Rhombus. :]

I do have a YT. haha. **Shameless Plug** www.youtube.com/user/IAmTheGoomy

iplaytennislol came out the womb ready.

How Analytic does your mind have to be to be a paper engineer?

Why Muddy Rain?

Why is kiyo always so gullible in TTT?

Cool interview
Pretty damn analytical.

I made a team with Hippo + Politoed in BW. It had a bunch of "abusers" of both weathers like Swampert, Thunder Magnezone. It was pretty bad, but the username was cool. (Even if it sounds like a euphemism for diarrhea)

Not only am I a good liar, but we can also get him off his game by trying to convince him he weighs 400 lbs.

And thanks. :]

didn't we all start like this? :)
Goomy fren ♥

- When did you realize that you wanted to be involved with engineering?
- How difficult is your program compared to peers / others you know of? Do you have a more challenging / larger workload?
- What's one interesting thing about working at a paper mill that most people wouldn't know about?
- If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?
- Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?
- iplaytennislol, Kiyo's sister, Shofu: Marry/Fuck/Kill
- Would you rather take it in the mouth or from behind?
- Do you stand up to wipe after pooping, or do you stay seated? Do you fold your toilet paper, or do you scrunch it up into a ball?
- Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket or your front pocket? Where do you keep your phone?
- Don't Starve is a great game, wouldn't you agree? :]
Xerxes was cool. I never won rock paper scissors though. :[

In highschool I always liked math and science, so engineering seemed like a good option. The two main factors that made me ultimately decide were 1. My love of problem solving and 2. A tour of a paper mill near my home town. It was so cool I just knew I had to pursue it.

According to my university, my degree program is the hardest at the school (ranked in top 10 in the country for it too!). Basically I'm doing two 4 year engineering degrees (Paper Science Engineering and Chemical Engineering) in 4.5 years total, so the work load can be somewhat stressful!

Uh, I don't think people really appreciate the scale of the paper industry. The US is the 2nd largest producer of paper in the world (China tho :[) and the mill I worked at produced anywhere from 2500 to 3000 tons of paper daily.

Babies' tears. Johnson and Johnson collects them from the No-Tear shampoo tests.

adsfjalksdjfhlaksjdfhljkh?

Same order. haha

What is it tho? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Stand, crumple.

Back, Side

Ofc. :S

Cool to get to learn some stuff about you and the fact you added in some comedic elements made it a really enjoyable post to read! Just like to include a few questions that have poured my mind:

1.What other characteristics do you believe the NU tier has that other tiers do not?

2.What is your most memorable match?

3.What is your most used mon?
I think NU has a really large focus on hazards due to the lack of good spinners/defoggers barring Mantine/Claydol (did I just say Claydol is good?)

One time during BW2 I was using Specs Celebi b/c I was a lord, and I crit this man 4 times in a row with leaf storm to win 1-0.

Sawk/Musharna

very happy to read about you fren n_n. I have 2 questions for you.

1) What color was the gameboy you were playing when you came out the womb?
2) On a scale from 1 to happy dino how happy were you when a black chick asked you out?

Top 5 mos cancerous mons in NU
Want shitmonchan in NU?
Opinion on Scraggy

Did you join the NU Scraggy posse? Many people have, including HJAD and myself
Rate me pls
Rate TCW

How viable is your older brother, Sliggoo, in NU?
Did you know I always thought Goomy as a fresh cup of ice cream? How do you feel about that?

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
very happy to read about you fren n_n. I have 2 questions for you.

1) What color was the gameboy you were playing when you came out the womb?
2) On a scale from 1 to happy dino how happy were you when a black chick asked you out?
Red (Go Pack!)
Outrageously happy. :]

How viable do you think is vullaby as a defogger compared to xatu and togetic?
Why do you like blametruth so much :p
Uhhh. Vullaby isn't a bad mon, I feel like it can be pressured pretty easily, it's hard to keep eviolite, and a lot of things in the tier are running coverage for dark types. It's a coon mon tho. :]
He's p sexy ngl.

Top 5 mos cancerous mons in NU
Want shitmonchan in NU?
Opinion on Scraggy

Did you join the NU Scraggy posse? Many people have, including HJAD and myself
Rate me pls
Rate TCW

How viable is your older brother, Sliggoo, in NU?
Did you know I always thought Goomy as a fresh cup of ice cream? How do you feel about that?
Chatot, Chatot, Chatot, Chatot, Cradily
I don't even think it would be good here. "xD"
Scraggy is bad. Use practically any other fighting type please. (ban tyrogue)
No. Hell no. Larvesta for life.
Idek who you are. Sorry.
7.8/10, too much water
It's pretty decent, it's just incredibly passive, which isn't really the best in NU right now.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who asked questions! It was really cool getting to be POTW. :S Goomy out.

Hi there I have one question that I am interested in you exploring, if you don't mind.

If you could change the typing of one existing Pokemon, keeping the move pool, base stats and abilities, what Pokemon would you change and what type would you make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)