Plusle (Update)

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alright, so it's Plusle! To be honest, I wasn't too sure how to approach this, since, well, Plusle and Minun are extremely similar. I hope it's alright if I C/P'd most of the skeleton between the two; I'll need to check some stuff, but I may also make some of the sections such as Optional Changes the same except for their names and a couple of other little things (OC for both Plusle and Minun is almost exactly the same, so I might just C/P the section, though I'll have to ask). Also, I would like to request if possible for the same QC members to QC check both of these analysis's, since they're very similar, and from my own testing, you could just interchange Plusle and Minun on the same team and have similar results.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/plusle

Changes:

-Remove CounterSash set. Gimmicky.
-Update Baton Pass set.
-Update Sweeper set.

[Overview]

<p>Plusle comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside Minun. While no one can deny his captivating charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Plusle is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-type Pokemon such as Raichu and Manectric. Still, Plusle's unique combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over his competitors. Plusle might not seem threatening at first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Plusle has accumulated and Baton Passed.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Encore / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Plusle's decent offensive power
and access to Encore to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer that can pose an offensive threat at the same time. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set, while Encore allows Plusle to lock defensive Pokemon, such as Registeel, into a harmless move like Stealth Rock, effectively giving Plusle a free turn to set up. As Plusle is extremely frail, Encore is often very important to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Thunderbolt gives Plusle a reliable attack, which prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and is fairly powerful after a Nasty Plot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple yet effective
: A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other positive base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This gives Plusle a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them, or KO the opposing Pokemon with a Nasty Plot boosted Thunderbolt. 252 Special Attack EVs boost the power of Plusle's Thunderbolt, and allow Plusle to strike the opposing team with strong attacks. While it may seem odd to boost Plusle's Special Attack when Thunderbolt is his only offensive move, the Electric-type boasts respectable mono-coverage in UU, and any opponents that resist Thunderbolt can easily be Baton Passed out of. However, some defensive EVs can be transferred from Special Attack to make it easier for Plusle to obtain a Nasty Plot boost, but so many EVs are required that Plusle becomes pitifully weak, which makes this a lesser option.</p>

<p>Plusle has a couple of other moves that he can use on this set. Agility is always useful to Baton Pass, but Nasty Plot is what makes Plusle unique. You may, however, forgo the use of Thunderbolt in favor of Agility if you wish. Magnet Rise can be an interesting option to Baton Pass, but like Agility, it should only go over Thunderbolt. It should be noted that replacing Thunderbolt with either Agility or Magnet Rise leaves Plusle rendered utterly useless by Taunt, so it isn't recommended. Hidden Power Ice allows Plusle to hit Ground-types he can't hit with Thunderbolt, but there are no moves that you can really replace on this set.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to pass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate recipients are naturally important teammates. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-type Pokemon. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile are all excellent partners, as they benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Plusle and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, Baton Pass recipients may still face problems with the pink blob. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey in one fell swoop. U-turn users, such as Scyther and Swellow, also help weaken the opposing team and scout for any Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Encore
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Plusle is generally outclassed by other Electric-type Pokemon when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Plusle's average Special Attack to
higher levels. Encore allows Plusle to capitalize on support moves with ease, and it's almost a necessity for Plusle to set up, since his overall frailty means that he cannot switch into attacking moves that are even moderately powerful. Thunderbolt is Plusle's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice, as Plusle needs all the power he can get.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Plusle has a couple of other options that he can use with decent results. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to strike Registeel and Steelix for decent damage, while Grass Knot is available to hit Rhyperior and Donphan harder than Hidden Power Ice. However, these attacks have worse overall coverage with Thunderbolt in comparison to Hidden Power Ice. Baton Pass is an option to scout for counters, and possibly Baton Pass a Nasty Plot boost to a partner, but Plusle needs all the coverage he can get
in order to successfully sweep. You can also transfer some Special Attack EVs to HP to make setting up a Nasty Plot somewhat easier.</p>

<p>Since Plusle is still somewhat offensively weak, even after a Nasty Plot boost, some support is necessary for Plusle to sweep; in particular, entry hazards score Plusle some OHKOes and 2HKOes that he couldn't get otherwise. Omastar is a superb entry hazard supporter that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards. Qwilfish is also a decent option as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before fainting. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Plusle to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, both of which can easily sponge Plusle's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Plusle enjoys both powerful teammates that can tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Plusle or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, and speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Plusle or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily smash through the opposition, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, as well as Scyther, can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that benefit from a Nasty Plot boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey and Clefable. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a similar trapper to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Plusle's offensive prowess is only average, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Plusle can take advantage of entry hazards in various ways such as racking up damage via switches forced by Encore and bringing opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knot from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Plusle is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up, and because Plusle is very frail, this is one of his best opportunities to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from setting up their own hazards with Taunt. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Plusle needs all of his HP intact if he is aiming to sweep. Rapid Spin users, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Plusle. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Plusle can force out and attempt to nab a Nasty Plot boost as it does so.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Plusle's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but he does have a couple of interesting options. Plusle has access to Wish and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Plusle also has access to moves such as Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set; however, Plusle's extremely poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Plusle prefers Nasty Plot since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Plusle can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Plusle could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set with Focus Sash, Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack; Counter can KO physical leads, Encore can lock a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack can finish Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that a gimmick.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with countering Plusle is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Plusleit means you have to prevent Plusle from passing his boosts to something more deadly, or have the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Plusle are bulky phazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Plusle throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Plusle. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Plusle's attacks and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Plusle isn't all that powerful on his own, and most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Plusle. Dugtrio is particularly effective since he can trap Plusle with Arena Trap and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Plusle. Plusle isn't very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, although some prior damage may be necessary. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, as it will easily KO any variant of Plusle after a little residual damage.</p>

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Being kind of picky here, sorry, just mentioning that Ambipom can pass Nasty Plot too (in UU anyways), Minun/Plusle aren't the only ones :P

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
@ Flashrider: Thanks for telling me. The ability parts have been removed.

@ Komodo: Yeah, I should probably mention that. Thanks!

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Sorry for the double post, but bump. This is waiting for verdicts from the two QC members that I contacted, though I may have to contact some other QC members.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
definitely mention priority and anything faster in the counters section and perhaps in AC for both sets, as Plusle is even frailer than Minun. Aside from that, everythink looks great. Nice work.

QC APPROVED 2/2

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Okay, I finished editing Minun's analysis to become more relevant to Plusle, so this should be ready for GP checks. I actually didn't really have to re-write much at all, since even though the first sets are different for Plusle and Minun, the main idea was still there, so I only had to re-write a part of the EV section on that set, and nothing else. Because of this, I think this would only really need a single GP check, but I suppose I'll ask someone about that before jumping to conclusions.

I'm not sure if I'm too late, but I think you should get rid of the offensive NP set. Pluse is completely outclassed if it has no Baton Pass by Raichu, another NU poke whom has 5 points higher in speed AND special attack, who can also go physical. I think it's worth mentioning.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
While Plusle's offensive NP set is outclassed by Raichu, being outclassed by something shouldn't necessarily be a reason not to include a viable set that a Pokemon can use. Plusle, while admittedly not nearly as good as Raichu, can still viably use Nasty Plot to sweep, so there isn't really a reason not to include it. Heck, if we scrapped sets that were outclassed by other Pokemon, many viable NU Pokemon wouldn't have an analysis because their options are completely outclassed by others (see - Wigglytuff). For the record, it also does have a small mention of that in "While Plusle is generally outclassed by other Electric-types when it comes to sweeping...". Thanks for your input though!

No probs ;P I was thinking you could maybe make Discharge an option on the Baton Pass set because it provides a bit more support. Maybe Agility could be a possible BP option as well?

You could also run a CS set that would run in a similar way to the OU Jolten (aka, using baton pass):

Name: Choiced Rabbit
Nature: Timid / Modest
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Moves
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Grass Knot / Signal Beam
- Baton Pass

Basically plays like a standard specs set, but it can baton pass (aka it's only niche) and act like a scout. Hidden power of choice for Grass types that resist your STAB; The best coverage is Thunderbolt/HP Fire/Grass Knot, which is only resisted by the rare pure Dragon-types and the Uber Dragons. HP Ice ice an option to hit the dragons hard if this is used in UU. I threw signal beam on there to simply hit lanturn harder...I wouldn't use it XD

SilentVerse

Into the New World
That set actually looks pretty decent at a glance. iirc, none of the other Electric-types in UU have access to Baton Pass, so a Choiced set might not be a terrible option. I really didn't consider a Choice set at all when I did this, since it wasn't in the original analysis, and tbh, I thought Plusle and Minun would be mediocre at that role, but since they have Baton Pass to separate themselves from the other Electric-types... maybe it'll be worth it. Unfortunately, it's rather late for it now, but I'll try it out, and if it works, I'll throw it through QC. Thanks!

Well no, that set wouldn't do too well with Minun because of its lower special attack. I suppose Choice Scarf is also an option on that set. If Pluse uses specs, it gets 404 (443 if modest) special attack, so that means it hits nice and hard compared to Minun's fairly crappy 374 (410).

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Well, Minun has 20 points more in both defenses, which allows him to switch into more stuff + survive priority. A loss of 30 Special Attack isn't bad enough to warrant Minun not having a Choice set if Plusle gets one (unless he loses out on some important KOes, but I kind of doubt it considering their Nasty Plot sets have approximately the same difference in power). Regardless, it'll be QC's decision if I decide to throw that set through QC.

GP Check 1/2
Changes
Removals

[Overview]

<p>Plusle comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside Minun. While no one can deny his captivating charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Plusle is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-type Pokemon such as Raichu and Manectric. Still, Plusle's access to the combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over his competitors. Plusle might not seem too threatening at first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Plusle has passed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Plusle's access to Encore and decent offensive power to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer that can pose an offensive threat at the same time. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set, while Encore allows Plusle to lock Pokemon such as Registeel into a harmless move like Stealth Rock, effectively giving Plusle a free turn afterward to set up. Since Plusle is extremely frail
, Encore is often very important to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Thunderbolt gives Plusle a reliable attack, which prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and is fairly powerful after a Nasty Plot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple yet effective. A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other max Speed base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This can be important, as this gives Plusle a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them, or KO the opposing Pokemon with a Nasty Plot boosted Thunderbolt. 252 Special Attack EVs boost the power of Plusle's Thunderbolt, and allow Plusle to strike the opposing team with strong attacks. While it may seem odd to boost Plusle's Special Attack stat when Thunderbolt is his only offensive move, the Electric-type boasts respectable mono-coverage in UU, and any opponents that resist Thunderbolt can easily be Baton Passed out of. However, some defensive EVs can be transferred from Special Attack to make it easier for Plusle to obtain a Nasty Plot boost, but so many EVs are required that Plusle becomes pitifully weak, which makes this a lesser option.
</p>

<p>Plusle has a couple of other moves that he can use on this set. Agility is always useful to Baton Pass, but Nasty Plot is what makes Plusle unique. You may, however, forgo the use of Thunderbolt in favor of Agility if you wish. Magnet Rise can be an interesting option to Baton Pass, but like Agility, it should only go over Thunderbolt. However, replacing Thunderbolt with either Agility or Magnet Rise leaves Plusle rendered utterly useless by Taunt, so it isn't recommended. Hidden Power Ice would be a great option to hit Ground-types that Plusle can't hit with Thunderbolt, but there is nothing that you can really replace on this set.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate Baton Pass recipients are naturally
important teammates. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-type Pokemon. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile are all excellent partners, as they benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Plusle and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, these Baton Pass recipients might still have a chance to be outstalled by Chansey. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey.
U-turn users such as Scyther and Swellow can also help weaken the opposing team and scout for any Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Plusle is generally outclassed by other Electric-type Pokemon when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Plusle's average Special Attack to a high level. Encore allows Plusle to capitalize on support moves with ease, and it's almost a necessity for Plusle to set up, since Plusle's overall frailty means that he cannot switch into attacking moves that are even moderately powerful
. Thunderbolt is Plusle's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice, as Plusle needs all the power he can get.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Plusle has a couple of other options that he can use with decent results. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to strike Registeel and Steelix for decent damage, while Grass Knot is available to hit Rhyperior and Donphan harder than Hidden Power Ice. However, these attacks have worse overall coverage with Thunderbolt in comparison to Hidden Power Ice. Baton Pass is an option to scout for counters, and possibly Baton Pass a Nasty Plot boost to a partner, but Plusle needs all the coverage he can get
in order to successfully sweep. You can also transfer some Special Attack EVs to HP to make setting up a Nasty Plot somewhat easier.</p>

<p>Since Plusle is still somewhat offensively weak, even after a Nasty
Plot boost, some support is necessary for Plusle to sweep; in particular, entry hazards allow Plusle obtain some OHKOes and 2HKOes that he couldn't get otherwise. Omastar is a superb entry hazard supporter that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards again if necessary. Qwilfish is also a decent option, as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before dying. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Plusle to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, both of which can easily sponge Plusle's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Plusle enjoys both powerful teammates that can either tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Plusle or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, and speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Plusle or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily
smash through the opposition, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, as well as Scyther, can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that benefit from a Nasty Plot boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a similar trapper to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Plusle's offensive prowess is only average, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Plusle can also utilize the entry hazards in various ways such as racking up damage via switches forced by Encore and bringing opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knots from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Plusle is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up, and because Plusle is very frail, this is one of his best opportunities to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from
setting up their hazards. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Plusle needs all of his HP intact if he is aiming to sweep. Rapid Spinners, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Plusle. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Plusle can force out and attempt to nab a Nasty Plot boost as it does so.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Plusle's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but he does have a couple of interesting options. Plusle has access to Wish and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Plusle also has access to moves
such as Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set; however, Plusle's extremely poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Plusle prefers Nasty Plot since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Plusle can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Plusle could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set with Focus Sash, Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack; Counter can KO physical leads, Encore can lock a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack can finish Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that a gimmick.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with
countering Plusle is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Plusleit means you have to prevent Plusle from passing his boosts to something more deadly, or have the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Plusle are bulky phazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Plusle throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Plusle. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Plusle's attacks and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Plusle is isn't really all that powerful on his own, and most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Plusle.
Dugtrio is particularly effective since he can trap Plusle with Arena Trap and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Plusle. Plusle isn't very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, although some prior damage may be necessary. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, as it will easily KO any variant of Plusle after a little residual damage.</p>

Good writeup. I am currently abusing a substance of a mind-altering nature so hopefully I didn't miss too much.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP check 2/2

[Overview]

<p>Plusle comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside Minun. While no one can deny his captivating charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Plusle is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-type Pokemon such as Raichu and Manectric. Still, Plusle's access to the unique combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over his competitors. Plusle might not seem too threatening at first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Plusle has passed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Plusle's access to Encore and decent offensive power and access to Encore to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer that can pose an offensive threat at the same time. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set, while Encore allows Plusle to lock Pokemon such as Registeel into a harmless move like Stealth Rock, effectively giving Plusle a free turn afterward to set up. Since As Plusle is extremely frail
, Encore is often very important to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Thunderbolt gives Plusle a reliable attack, which prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and is fairly powerful after a Nasty Plot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple yet effective:(colon) A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other max Speed positive base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This can be important, as this gives Plusle a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them, or KO the opposing Pokemon with a Nasty Plot boosted Thunderbolt. 252 Special Attack EVs boost the power of Plusle's Thunderbolt, and allow Plusle to strike the opposing team with strong attacks. While it may seem odd to boost Plusle's Special Attack stat when Thunderbolt is his only offensive move, the Electric-type boasts respectable mono-coverage in UU, and any opponents that resist Thunderbolt can easily be Baton Passed out of. However, some defensive EVs can be transferred from Special Attack to make it easier for Plusle to obtain a Nasty Plot boost, but so many EVs are required that Plusle becomes pitifully weak, which makes this a lesser option.
</p>

<p>Plusle has a couple of other moves that he can use on this set. Agility is always useful to Baton Pass, but Nasty Plot is what makes Plusle unique. You may, however, forgo the use of Thunderbolt in favor of Agility if you wish. Magnet Rise can be an interesting option to Baton Pass, but like Agility, it should only go over Thunderbolt. However, replacing Thunderbolt with either Agility or Magnet Rise leaves Plusle rendered utterly useless by Taunt, so it isn't recommended. Hidden Power Ice would be a great option to hit Ground-types that allows Plusle to hit Ground-types he can't hit with Thunderbolt, but there is nothing that you can really replace on this set.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to Batonpass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate Baton Pass recipients are naturally important teammates. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-type Pokemon. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile are all excellent partners, as they benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Plusle and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, these Baton Pass recipients might may still have a chance to be outstalled by face problems with Chansey. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey. U-turn users such as Scyther and Swellow can also help weaken the opposing team and scout for any Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Plusle is generally outclassed by other Electric-type Pokemon when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Plusle's average Special Attack to a higher levels. Encore allows Plusle to capitalize on support moves with ease, and it's almost a necessity for Plusle to set up, since Plusle's overall frailty means that he cannot switch into attacking moves that are even moderately powerful
. Thunderbolt is Plusle's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice, as Plusle needs all the power he can get.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Plusle is still somewhat offensively weak, even after a Nasty Plot boost, some support is necessary for Plusle to sweep; in particular, entry hazards allow score Plusle some OHKOes and 2HKOes that he couldn't get otherwise. Omastar is a superb entry hazard supporter that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards again if necessary. Qwilfish is also a decent option, as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before dying. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Plusle to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, both of which can easily sponge Plusle's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Plusle enjoys both powerful teammates that can tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Plusle or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, and speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Plusle or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily smash through the opposition, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, as well as Scyther, can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that benefit from a Nasty Plot boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a similar trapper to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Plusle's offensive prowess is only average, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Plusle can utilize take advantage of entry hazards in various ways such as racking up damage via switches forced by Encore and bringing opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knot from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Plusle is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up, and because Plusle is very frail, this is one of his best opportunities to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from setting up their hazards with Taunt. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Plusle needs all of his HP intact if he is aiming to sweep. Rapid Spinners, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Plusle. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Plusle can force out and attempt to nab a Nasty Plot boost as it does so.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Plusle's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but he does have a couple of interesting options. Plusle has access to Wish and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Plusle also has access to moves such as Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set; however, Plusle's extremely poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Plusle prefers Nasty Plot since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Plusle can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Plusle could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set with Focus Sash, Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack; Counter can KO physical leads, Encore can lock a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack can finish Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that a gimmick.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with countering Plusle is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Plusleit means you have to prevent Plusle from passing his boosts to something more deadly, or have the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Plusle are bulky phazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Plusle throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Plusle. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Plusle's attacks and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Plusle is isn't really all that powerful on his own, and most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Plusle. Dugtrio is particularly effective since he can trap Plusle with Arena Trap and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Plusle. Plusle isn't very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, although some prior damage may be necessary. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, as it will easily KO any variant of Plusle after a little residual damage.</p>

Red is removal
Blue is changes or additions

Just a couple of un-needed words which make sentences sound a bit awkward, but good write up :D

Offical GP checker! Oh yeah! :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)