PO Connection Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crux

Banned deucer.
The purpose of this article is to show people how to connect to Smogon University’s server using Pokémon Online. Any further questions that you may have about setting up this program can be asked in the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread in the Pokémon Online sub-forum.

Installing Pokemon Online

Windows

To begin with, you will need to download the Pokémon Online client, found here.
When you begin to install the file, make sure you do not install it in your C:\\Program Files folder. If you do, you will be forced to run the program as an administrator each time you use it.
Once Pokémon Online is fully installed, simply run the program.

Linux

Running Pokemon Online is a hassle in Linux. It's best if you simply download the Windows version of the client and run it through WINE. If you don't already have WINE installed, open Terminal and run the command:
sudo apt-get install wine

Once that process is done, simply download the Windows client of PO from http://www.pokemon-online.eu/. Once the .exe file is downloaded, right click on it and go to Properties. Click on the Permissions tab and check the box next to "Allow executing file as program." Now close the window and double click on Pokemon-Online-Setup.exe to start the setup process through WINE. Follow the prompts and voila, you now have Pokemon Online on your computer.

Mac

Mac users can run Pokémon through Wine or download the Mac version of Pokémon Online. The Mac version of Pokémon Online can be found in the same place as the Windows version. Simply install it and run it, similar to the Windows version. However, the Mac version of Pokemon Online is known to be quite glitchy, so I would suggest that you follow the guide below and run the program through Wine.
To run Pokémon Online through Wine, download Wine From here.

Click the "download" button, a download message will appear. Save the file and wait until it finishes. Run the program.

After you finish downloading the program, install it.

Now download Pokemon Online's Windows download.

After you finish downloading Pokemon Online, you'll See this Icon -

Double click on the icon, then click "Open", and you'll see this message-

Click "Go" and the install page will appear. Install the program.

After the installation process has finished, go to the place you saved it, and you'll see a folder called "Pokemon Online."

Open the folder.

Click "Pokemon-Online.exe", and the following dialogue box will appear.

As before, click "Go", and you'll be in the main page on the program!

Connecting to the server

When you run Pokémon Online, you will see the interface shown.

Click on Teambuilder, and choose a username. You must do this before connecting to a server. Click Save, and save this file wherever you want.
Now click Go Online, and choose the Smogon University server from the list. Alternatively, enter 74.50.98.226:5080 into the Advanced Connection box and hit Advanced Connection.

Now that you have connected to the server, hit Register, and enter a password of your choice. Be sure to write it down somewhere, as you will need this password whenever you join the Smogon University Server.

Make sure you read the rules and most importantly, have fun!

----------

If you think I need to add anything, please post here. Also any mistakes or changes you think should be made are most welcome.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This doesn't have anything to do with installation necessarily, but I don't recommend the mac version; sometimes during battle, the battle window will disappear, essentially forfeiting the battle. This happened during a tournament match (I would have lost anyways, but imagining if I were about to win an important match and this happened?) Luckily I run Bootcamp so I can use the windows version. I'd stick to demonstrating Wine, and at least a warning about what I said. Other than that, great guide.

I am running PO on a mac, and it Disconnects, A LOT!
I might try running it on wine from now on, thanks guys!
-Griff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)