Pokémon GO

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This in its entirety is dumb as hell. Why would I bother with this when the rewards are so low? Eggs are much more efficient/faster ways of getting lots of candies for many different things. I guess it helps in the long run with a drip feed of candy's for stronger things, but eggs are still way better for Candys per mile. The only advantage is you know what candy you would be getting :/

Also there is no update yet in the UK :/
It's not meant to be your main way to earn candies, but its nice to help you reach that evolution you needed a few more candies for, or to help you max out that snorlax or lapras you need some more candies for. Its certainly not going to hurt you in any way to have a buddy.

It's not meant to be your main way to earn candies, but its nice to help you reach that evolution you needed a few more candies for, or to help you max out that snorlax or lapras you need some more candies for. Its certainly not going to hurt you in any way to have a buddy.
Considering how little the candy one gets, I think it is a bit negligible. This feature is most likely just made for the Gen 4's walking Pokemon equivalent hype anyway so it is not something that should be expected to do much.

It doesn't hurt anyway.

It doesn't hurt, but I really expect more out of a game that's been out for 2 months and has made so much money. The gameplay of this game consists of walking around to hatch eggs and hoping you find some good Pokemon, or setting shop at a lure, and then taking over gyms. It was pretty fun seeing all of the Pokemon at first, but, that got old pretty fast, especially when there's only 151 Pokemon and Rattata / Pidgey / Weedle are extraordinarily common. These features that seemingly add some layer of complexity to the game are a real slap in the face when they turn out being little more than garbage.

<Rant>

Last edited:
you can sometimes get 2 candy, it wouldn't be an issue if it was more diverse, I have not seen a single firetype spawn around here bar the charmander that spawns every 4-5 hours near my house, for example, its all the same Drowzee, (extremely rare abra and Mr Mime) pidgey Rattata junk, I have to travel a fair few miles to find the nearest nest of note (geodude) even the city spawns are restricted to pidgey, rattata and 4-5 water types, so what then, I go away for a few days and find enough Magnamites and voltorbs to evolve, 2 ponyta... 1 magmar, a few Machop, and sandshrew and Psyducks with IV's above 50% AS WELL AS the water types.
there WAS some realism where i was, water pokemon spawned near the sea, not in land, city i go to has rivers, canals and fountains and they churn out water pokemon whereas where i was you cad your regular crap in the town with those extra things, and arcades on the front also spawned said Magnamites and Voltorbs.
only 1km candy pokemon I actually need to use is Jigglypuff, as i do not have pikachu and Magikarps are fairly common, that its easier to farm something else for candy and just collect the magikarps.
but it will help me get Arcanine and Nidoking, but otherwise the distance for what you get, for me, is not that exciting, I have a Snorlax but it is mid leveled, then what... average day farming candy will mean you can level it once every 3 days.
but if the pokemon you want is crap, there is still no point getting candies.
and god forbid i need more Eevee candy, and dratini candy I need of course.
I did get a funny bug earlier, taking a gym, my vaporeon got Koed just as it used hydropump..... and the pokemon that came in (parasect) used its charge attack instantly.

What Niantic does need to fix is the terrible moveset junk, I hatched a decent poliwag after months of trying, and Poliwrath gets submission and is therefore useless.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What sense does any of this make? Why does certain families get Candy faster than others, shouldn't it be by evolution stage?

Basic Stage of a 3-Stage evolution = 1 km per candy
Mid Evolution or Basic of 2-Stage = 3 hm per candy
Final Evolution = 5 km per candy

Though that said I would also make it that the higher along the evolution the more likely for them to find more candy, so that way there is a reason to have a higher evolution following you.

Also there's apparently an easter egg with the new buddy system. If you have a Pikachu as a buddy on the status screen it'll occasionally jump onto your shoulder's like Ash's Pikachu.

What sense does any of this make? Why does certain families get Candy faster than others, shouldn't it be by evolution stage?

Mid Evolution or Basic of 2-Stage = 3 hm per candy

Though that said I would also make it that the higher along the evolution the more likely for them to find more candy, so that way there is a reason to have a higher evolution following you.

Also there's apparently an easter egg with the new buddy system. If you have a Pikachu as a buddy on the status screen it'll occasionally jump onto your shoulder's like Ash's Pikachu.
It's based on the egg hatching system, 2k eggs= 1k of walking, 5k eggs= 3k of walking and 10k eggs= 5k walking.

This in its entirety is dumb as hell. Why would I bother with this when the rewards are so low? Eggs are much more efficient/faster ways of getting lots of candies for many different things. I guess it helps in the long run with a drip feed of candy's for stronger things, but eggs are still way better for Candys per mile. The only advantage is you know what candy you would be getting :/

Also there is no update yet in the UK :/
Its not a game changing feature and eggs are still the way forward and best way to progress but i guess it only helps for the rare eggs you hatch but fall just short of candy required to evolve a pokemon or for getting the few candy when you want to max out your lapras/snorlax/aerodactyl etc but have no 10k eggs ....and magikarps!
And it is out in the uk ...thats where im from! :D

Buddy system definitely doesn't give enough candy. I get that it's not meant to be your main method, but some pokemon just don't show up anywhere near where I live; e.g I want a Charmeleon, as I haven't found a Charmander since I picked it as my starter, so to get a Charmeleon, I need to walk 66 effing km to get it... that's just not realistic at all

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay if the update is out I'm going to ask the super dumb question: where is the option to do this? I've checked every menu and each Pokemon and I can't see an option for it anywhere...

Will edit when not on mobile

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay if the update is out I'm going to ask the super dumb question: where is the option to do this? I've checked every menu and each Pokemon and I can't see an option for it anywhere...

Will edit when not on mobile
To get the update, I had to look at that "5 updates need your approval" message from Google Play.

To get the buddy, you go to a new sub-menu in the Trainer menu. Press your portrait, then there should be a menu button in the lower right. It says "Buddy". Then you'll just have to pick.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It's on your profile menu (the one where you can access the journal and customize your character).
To get the update, I had to look at that "5 updates need your approval" message from Google Play.

To get the buddy, you go to a new sub-menu in the Trainer menu. Press your portrait, then there should be a menu button in the lower right. It says "Buddy". Then you'll just have to pick.
As it happens, I didn't have the update installed. Either way: This is a stupid place for this option to be. Surely it would have made sense to add an option to the Pokemon itself where you have the Favourite/Appraise/Transfer buttons? Some of the UI Choices are pretty bizarre.

OK, so I know this graph is based on the egg mileage for each one, but it still seems bizarre choices. Just be prepared for ALL THE GYARADOS EVERYWHERE THAT ARE SUPER PUMPED. What's really funny about this is that Onix is pretty much the worst thing in the game and now it takes 5km to get a candy for it too!

you can sometimes get 2 candy, it wouldn't be an issue if it was more diverse, I have not seen a single firetype spawn around here bar the charmander that spawns every 4-5 hours near my house, for example, its all the same Drowzee, (extremely rare abra and Mr Mime) pidgey Rattata junk, I have to travel a fair few miles to find the nearest nest of note (geodude) even the city spawns are restricted to pidgey, rattata and 4-5 water types, so what then, I go away for a few days and find enough Magnamites and voltorbs to evolve, 2 ponyta... 1 magmar, a few Machop, and sandshrew and Psyducks with IV's above 50% AS WELL AS the water types.
there WAS some realism where i was, water pokemon spawned near the sea, not in land, city i go to has rivers, canals and fountains and they churn out water pokemon whereas where i was you cad your regular crap in the town with those extra things, and arcades on the front also spawned said Magnamites and Voltorbs.
only 1km candy pokemon I actually need to use is Jigglypuff, as i do not have pikachu and Magikarps are fairly common, that its easier to farm something else for candy and just collect the magikarps.
but it will help me get Arcanine and Nidoking, but otherwise the distance for what you get, for me, is not that exciting, I have a Snorlax but it is mid leveled, then what... average day farming candy will mean you can level it once every 3 days.
but if the pokemon you want is crap, there is still no point getting candies.
and god forbid i need more Eevee candy, and dratini candy I need of course.
I did get a funny bug earlier, taking a gym, my vaporeon got Koed just as it used hydropump..... and the pokemon that came in (parasect) used its charge attack instantly.

What Niantic does need to fix is the terrible moveset junk, I hatched a decent poliwag after months of trying, and Poliwrath gets submission and is therefore useless.
OH BOY TWO CANDY! On Fire Types: I only have one and it's name is Growlithe and I got it from an egg. I've never seen a wild Fire type around here. They are literally like hens teeth I guess. I've seen some people with Magmar in gyms, but I guess they've traveled to get them? I already have caught over 300+ Water Types, I happen to live on a stream and its basically all I see when I am at home. As it happens, I'm not all that interested in trying to take gyms/battle gyms. Everyone around here has like CP2500+ stuff and most of mine is in the meager 1000~ or so group. No chances there then.

Mid Evolution or Basic of 2-Stage = 3 km per candy

Even this system doesn't work. You should get more candiess for using an evolved mon than a lower form. A more evolved form should be more "adept" at finding candies, and thus increase its drop rate. It also gives you a slight reward for you know... Actually evolving things as opposed to hoarding as many candies as you can, using a Lucky Egg and then mass evolving like 20 things.

Buddy system definitely doesn't give enough candy. I get that it's not meant to be your main method, but some pokemon just don't show up anywhere near where I live; e.g I want a Charmeleon, as I haven't found a Charmander since I picked it as my starter, so to get a Charmeleon, I need to walk 66 effing km to get it... that's just not realistic at all
I have this issue but with Growlithe. He's the only fire type I have. Gyms around here appear to be dominated by Exeggutor, there are a few Magmars but they vanish once Vaporeons appear, which means Eggy gets a few more days before another person with a decent Pokemon with a Fire/Ice move appears and takes them down. Cycle of life I guess...

OH BOY TWO CANDY! On Fire Types: I only have one and it's name is Growlithe and I got it from an egg. I've never seen a wild Fire type around here. They are literally like hens teeth I guess. I've seen some people with Magmar in gyms, but I guess they've traveled to get them? I already have caught over 300+ Water Types, I happen to live on a stream and its basically all I see when I am at home. As it happens, I'm not all that interested in trying to take gyms/battle gyms. Everyone around here has like CP2500+ stuff and most of mine is in the meager 1000~ or so group. No chances there then.
Or they GPS Spoof to get them like they do with the Gyarados, Snorlax, Lapras, Dragonites, etc. in their Gyms? The spoofers in here have build up to Lv9 Gyms with 5 Dragonites, 3 Snorlax and an Arcanine. All with 2000+ CP

Where I live, I tend to get a lot of fire types -- especially on hot days. There was once even a Charizard nearby but I didn't have any poke balls. It was mortifying.

Also, this thread has reminded me that Onix looks so cool yet Gamefreak gave it such awful stats… Even in spinoff games it sucks. Pokemon Shuffle and GO.

I have seen magmars spawn in areas nearby, when I have gone past on transport, but out of range of my tracker, when I was away the hotel was a gym, and that spawned a Persian and Magmar while I was there
yes but when Gen 2 comes out, we get Steelix.

If/when Gen 2 does come out, do you guys think everyone should get it, or you should have to unlock it somehow? (Not financially of coourse)

If/when Gen 2 does come out, do you guys think everyone should get it, or you should have to unlock it somehow? (Not financially of coourse)
Unlocking something doesn't make sense for this sort of game since it's just something you play on the go and is supposed to be a similar experience for everyone. Locking off something as significant as 40% of the available Pokémon would be nothing but a detriment.

Unlocking something doesn't make sense for this sort of game since it's just something you play on the go and is supposed to be a similar experience for everyone. Locking off something as significant as 40% of the available Pokémon would be nothing but a detriment.
Just wondering if saying something like: 'you need to have 70 registered pokemon in the pokedex' would actually encourage people to play it more in order to unlock more pokemon... I'm pretty indifferent but from a business standpoint, I can see the benefits of both sides

Just wondering if saying something like: 'you need to have 70 registered pokemon in the pokedex' would actually encourage people to play it more in order to unlock more pokemon... I'm pretty indifferent but from a business standpoint, I can see the benefits of both sides
I could see it as a good idea for Legendaries and maybe Pseudos and other traditionally rare or powerful Pokémon (such as Snorlax or Zoroark), but for most of them it would take away what makes the game special to so many people.

My big problem with the system, besides the overall slow pace of it, is that it doesn't do anything to improve the "economy" of these Pokemon, since the candy that comes in fastest is candy you wouldn't need in normal play anyway, outside maybe a slight trickle in for extra Magikarp Candy.

And this doesn't feel like a "buddy" system since there's no real reason to feel connected to the mon you put in since it doesn't gain and doesn't do much to interact outside the obligatory Pikachu. In Gen 4, the mon walked around, had little interactions (even if they were stock), could find stuff at random (making it this regimented just further deflates any sense of personality), and it increased their friendship.

Maybe if the mons could find things (standard Pokestop fare and its own candy would do) at random, the game just had the adjacent model as an option, the mon itself could gain a little CP, things like that would make this system feel a little more alive. And maybe this is a personal gripe, but I feel like making the candy drops random, while it could have its own issues, incentivizes playing in small bursts. There's something that feels demoralizing when I see exactly how large the distance I have to walk for that little bit is. Making it a bit more of a surprise makes it feel more like a "gift" than a long grind.

it would be better if it found dust as well.
and had 2 pokemon in gym... hit claim.. get rewarded for 1 as one gets removed from a gym in the time between me clicking claim and receiving my reward.
I wouldn't have bothered for 1, would have held off and took another one. such a joke.
caught a 892 cp ivysaur near my house... super

Last edited:
no, just things that keep the game competitive, my Gyarados has been a gym for nearly a week now, I can't do anything with it at all except use it to claim 10 coins and 500 dust, while nice, is not useful at all when I need it to remove Dragonites.
I mean hatched 5KM into a 3rd Diglett, DUGTRIO obtained..... and the thing has no use whatsoever even with the best moveset.
Gengar gets its arse handed to it by lower CP Hypnos....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)