Pokémon GO

How are they supposed to know what's common for you? They're not just thinking about one area. Besides, they're just making more "creepy" Pokemon appear for Halloween, and Drowzee falls into that category to them. It doesn't matter if you don't agree. Cubone could potentially work, but I think it's more sad than it is creepy. Drowzee/Hypno on the other hand have literally been compared to pedophiles. So yeah, making them more common isn't silly at all. Sorry you apparently see them too often but it isn't just about you.

Last edited:
well Niantic made the game, they most have had some say in what is common where, they know full well that Drowzee is common in northern areas, because they made it that way.

so no it isn't just about me, but it isn't just about you either.
there is a better more fair to option available, which links better with the red and blue games.
Roll on Easter and the common exeggutes

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The event should be fun, and I definitely could stand to catch a few Gastly, as they are pretty uncommon where I am. Better yet, the event is quite the stealth xp boost, thanks to how accumulating more candy will make mass evolving even easier.

Naturally, the effective xp bonus will be biggest for the Pidgey, Weedle, and Caterpie families, which already dominate in terms of xp, so I'll use them as my example. Note that for my xp math, I assume no throw bonus on any catch (e.g. flat 100 xp per Pokemon), and a lucky egg boosted 1000 xp per evolve, since by far the most efficient use of lucky eggs is to evolve as much as you can in the 30 minutes after you use one, and to only evolve things when you have the egg bonus active.

Normal state of the world (no candy bonus):

catch 14 pidgey -> 42 candy
Evolve 3 -> 3 pidgeotto, 11 pidgey, 42 - 36 + 3 = 9 candy
transfer 3 pidgeotto + 9 pidgey -> 2 pidgey, 9 + 12 = 21 candy
evolve 1 -> 1 pidgey, 1 pidgeotto, 21 - 12 + 1 = 10 candy
transfer pidgeotto -> 1 pidgey, 11 candy
evolve pidgey -> 1 pidgeotto, 11 - 12 + 1 = 0 candy (assuming you had an extra candy from earlier to "borrow" and then immediately repay)

Net result: 14 pidgeys becomes 5 evolves + 1 leftover pidgeotto. And the final pidgeotto can itself be transferred for a candy if you like.

XP total = (14 * 100) + 5(2 * 500) = 6400.
XP per pidgey = 6400 / 14 = 457. Not bad!

--
Halloween candy bonus in effect:

catch 14 pidgey -> 84 candy
evolve 7 -> 7 pidgeotto, 7 pidgey, 84 - 84 + 7 = 7 candy
transfer 7 pidgeotto + 4 pidgey -> 3 pidgey, 7 + 11*2 = 29 candy
evolve 2 -> 1 pidgey, 2 pidgeotto, 29 - 24 + 2 = 7 candy
transfer 2 pidgeotto ->1 pidgey, 7 + 2*2 = 11 candy
evolve pidgey -> 1 pidgeotto, 11 - 12 + 1 = 0 candy (assuming you had an extra candy from earlier to "borrow" and then immediately repay)

Net result: 14 pidgeys becomes 10 evolves + 1 leftover pidgeotto. And the final pidgeotto can itself be transferred for a (bonus) 2 candy if you like.

XP total = (14 * 100) + 10(2 * 500) = 11,400
XP per pidgey = 11,400 / 14 = 814. Nice!

So if you want some fast exp this weekend, catching and transfering pidgeys will yield an extra big payoff.

--

More generally, though in one sense the game is unbalanced, in another, it really has little practical effect. True, people on the top team in an area can easily get lots of coins each day, while those in a less popular team may be stuck grinding along for 10. But in the end, gym success means very little towards advancement. Besides being able to buy enough lucky eggs for evolution orgies, and perhaps buy a storage upgrade to be able to store enough Pokemon to take full advantage of 30 minutes of frantic evolution, the shop items really are luxuries. Incubators are nice and all, but unless you are going absolutely nuts on them, their xp impact is low. Being on Team Instinct, I hardly ever receive more than 10 coins a day, and have NEVER received more than 20. But I'm doing just fine. I've been able to expand my item and pokemon storage, and have never had trouble affording a lucky egg when it's been time to evolve. Sure, I'm a touch jealous of those people pulling in a stable 40 and 50 coins a day, and I have to ignore fully stocked gyms that are too powerful for me, but this is fine. Relative to the time I play, my advancement isn't that much slower than someone on a more popular team with several Pokemon encased in "safe" gyms. So gym battling, training, coin rewards, etc. seem to me to be something of a red herring, and not worth getting too angry about.

you forgot rattata, and you forget that unlike Beedrill and Butterfree, Raticate and Pidgeot are also competitive.
just so you know, Ghastly has he same catchrate as eevee (32) the other 2 are at 40, Haunter and Gengar are not easy, Golbat is even further back then zubat making it extreamly hard to curveball.
I won't be doing this though, I will be sticking to my method, because it is all about dust, and using candies to power up what I have. (dust is why gyms hold relevance as 1 gym is the same as catching 5 pokemon)

oh and I keep meaning to ask, does this game actually need max potions? given there are only 5 pokemon that go over 200 hp.
incubators are rather pricey to buy A LOT of them, I wouldn't mind having a load more of those to chew through 5-6 eggs at once, means I got more space for possibly 10ks. that would be the only reason to have them.
but on 3 gyms a day, I cant really focus on getting a lot of incubators, especially as I had to spend a load of coins on backpack a expander due the revive droprate being so low ( I actually had it at a level i could manage, where things got used and replaced at a near static level) just to make space without discarding masses of pokeballs.
getting my incubators 150 coins each, means 5 days on 3 gyms per incubator, given it takes me 2-3 days to hatch a 5k egg, its not viable currently, so for me its a save up and buy bulk job.
although that data mine saying you could get them from daily quests is interesting.

in terms of Balance, A lot of EXP to level up fast doesn't mean you can hold a lot of gyms, because a lot of the exp has come from just evolving, so your dust per level is lower, meaning you cant power up as much stuff per level, leaving you weaker.
but again I can see the appeal of mass EXP to get something like Hypno, into 1900+ cp bracket at level 33, putting it on par with higher end stuff for players in mid 20s
what I do find interesting is how Ninatic, more or less get RNG right, this game has a lot of RNG, but the game mechanics allow the player to find methods of adapting to whatever they get thrown at them.

there should be no such thing as a "safe gym" that's the problem with the lack of revives right now, its creating a situation where there are safe gyms. when I see a level 10 gym, I want to go, having that, and take it down. because I know I can.

Last edited:
I don't live in America, I'm Brazilian. I live in a medium sized town 70 km away from São Paulo. The Silph Road nests weren't good here as well, than I rallied people here to go and use it to improve our experience.

Last edited:
whats common in Brazil?
Well, I don't know for the rest of the country, since I stopped talking about Go with most people because of the negativity. But I've been monitoring my 4 home spawns for the past 10 days, since I want to publish a study on the Forest Biome to TSE, and this is the breakdown so far:

hard to tell then, looks like Ekans though.

and it appears Ninatic have listened.... logged in, caught a cubone, there is another on my nearby AND a marowak.
Holy smokes.
and Meowth...
my nearby list is basically the boosted stuff. Ghastly, Meowth Cubone and Marowak
my dragonair also found a candy just for logging in.

Last edited:
hard to tell then, looks like Ekans though.

and it appears Ninatic have listened.... logged in, caught a cubone, there is another on my nearby AND a marowak.
Holy smokes.
and Meowth...
my nearby list is basically the boosted stuff. Ghastly, Meowth Cubone and Marowak
my dragonair also found a candy just for logging in.
Yeah. Instead of making the Pokémon find 4x more candies, they just cut in 4 the amount of steps needed for a candy. My Charmander now gets a candy every .75 km.

And in the 9 spawns since the Halloween thing started, I had two non-Halloween Pokémon, Pidgey and Jigglypuff, 3 Cubones, 2 Drowzees and 2 Gastlies.

why was there no notification of Cubone and Meowth... was this last minute or something?
so far on sightings, Meowth is a so so. nice to see them but not really any use.
2 cubone
1 hypno
1 ghastly
1 haunter
1 Drowzee
1 spearow
1 meowth
oh and a pidgey

more frequent candy seems decent enough I guess but kind of annoying it still shows 5km instead of the new amount, just means I now have to do some maths
got my Nidoqueen... Bite and Sludge wave, so fairly useful.

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Man I'm excited to see cubone, just need to catch 5 of those and i will have a 15/14/14 marowak originating from spain :D

What strategies are you guys going with the buddy system? Knocking out evolutions that you can only get from the buddy system in your immediate area? Picking the mon that would be most difficult for you to complete the pokedex line of and making progress on that? (for me it would be charmeleon and charizard off of 15 charmander candy). Or is it to just focus on powering up your snorlax or lapras (which i have neither of ;_;)?

Also ngl although i'm hype about this event, I realized now that it starts at GMT, which means on monday night when I'm out trick-or-treating with my friends and catching mons, the halloween event won't be in effect ;_;

dragonite is my aim, as good a time as any to get those last candies
transferring some junk stuff right now as well, see where we end up.

lol another Marowak on sightings.
although it is tempting to switch it up to Grimer, my new one is 15/13/14 (93.3%) Muk is one of the top gym defenders, and a more unusual type for someone to deal with.
this event is like living in a cubone nest... spawn opposite my house every hour on the :59
cubone every time, 1 more for Marowak

Last edited:
why was there no notification of Cubone and Meowth... was this last minute or something?
so far on sightings, Meowth is a so so. nice to see them but not really any use.
2 cubone
1 hypno
1 ghastly
1 haunter
1 Drowzee
1 spearow
1 meowth
oh and a pidgey

more frequent candy seems decent enough I guess but kind of annoying it still shows 5km instead of the new amount, just means I now have to do some maths
got my Nidoqueen... Bite and Sludge wave, so fairly useful.
If it doesn't show the new amount, you should update the app/close and reopen. Everything has been reduced by 4x. My Charmander buddy has to walk only .75 of a km to get a candy.

Edit: I think they decided at the last moment to include Cubone/Marowak/Meowth and actually reduce Zubat/Golbat, since I have seen only one in my sightings for the past hours.

Man I'm excited to see cubone, just need to catch 5 of those and i will have a 15/14/14 marowak originating from spain :D

What strategies are you guys going with the buddy system? Knocking out evolutions that you can only get from the buddy system in your immediate area? Picking the mon that would be most difficult for you to complete the pokedex line of and making progress on that? (for me it would be charmeleon and charizard off of 15 charmander candy). Or is it to just focus on powering up your snorlax or lapras (which i have neither of ;_;)?

Also ngl although i'm hype about this event, I realized now that it starts at GMT, which means on monday night when I'm out trick-or-treating with my friends and catching mons, the halloween event won't be in effect ;_;
I'm expecting it to go throughout the 1st, ending at the end of November, 1 GMT. It wouldn't make sense for the event not to be running at America's Halloween.

I have neither of those two either. *cries in corner*

I think I'll hope for a Dewgong. I need something to break dragons easily.

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
If it doesn't show the new amount, you should update the app/close and reopen. Everything has been reduced by 4x. My Charmander buddy has to walk only .75 of a km to get a candy.
I'm expecting it to go throughout the 1st, ending at the end of November, 1 GMT. It wouldn't make sense for the event not to be running at America's Halloween.
ah for some reason I interpreted nov 1 as the end date since its the day after halloween, but yeah considering the time stuff, it'd be silly if regions missed out on it during their actually Halloween time because of timezones.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just logged in to tell you "cubone marowak both caught another cubone on the radar omg someone here works at niantic"
Annnnnnddddd... I'm the last one to notice lol

ghastly AND haunter at the same time... I do have concerns that these Halloween things are actually eating up all the spawns to the point these and junk will be the only things available.
gonna have to check this out properly though by going to find some heavy spawn areas.
oh look more dodgy gym stuff, Gym owned by red has seemingly been cleared and filled by red team gengars...

Actually, I find that Drowzees and Gastlys have started to become more common than Pidgeys and Rattatas lol. Very nice since we hardly get those in my area. I get Cubone, Gastly, Zubat and Drowzee for Halloween but why Meowth? It's not particularly frightening.

no idea, but I have seen at least 3 different gengars on sightings today.
I have only every seen 2 wild ones ever.
so yea, a lot of spawns are spurting these out, in the city it isn't too bad, even found a Kabuto, which i just dont see, which is nice.
hatched my 10k into eevee and 3 2ks into useless crap
also a Poliwrath, a few magikarps and 2 dratini around the usual generic staryus/psyducks and poliwags.
oh the Kabuto has 80% IV... superb :D

Last edited:
when is this game going to give a Pidgeot with Hurricane from a high CP pidgey... seriously.. only one I have with good IV's and Hurricane is somewhere near the bottom of my cp list.
found some Dratinis to transfer
got my dragonite
Steel wing
Dragon Claw

superb all that time and effort put in for that... its whether I now go after MORE candy and focus on my 86% IV dratini and try again, or stick to this.

At this point, even seeing a Pidgey is an Arceus' blessing. At least these Gasses can be replacement for them in mass evolving and it is time to be Occult Maniac finishing the Gold Ghost badge, but....

That said, I found a "quite impressive" high-level Slowbro with most optimal defensive set just a little out on my way to campus. Jirachi must've heard my prayers in these darkest times.

well I got my route planned tomorrow, Mankey nest not too far from the city centre.. then not far away is a charmander nest and Pikachu spawn O.o
also someone has marked a Bulbasaur nest, within reachable distance.
oh there is a machop spawn not far from the beaten track in the city either.. could do with a few more of those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)