Pokémon GO

Sigh... the very second I run out of balls this happens...

Oh well. Found some cubones which were a first for the dex, and was able to hatch a Persian as well. Good haul overall, especially with magikarp spitting out candies like tomorrow on my Buddy list.

I want to be able to catch 127 more Drowzee/Hypnos, so I can get the gold Psychic badge to wait for the time when Mewtwo is around.

This is the breakdown up to now.

Halloween 70
Cubone 19
Marowak 0
Gastly 12
Haunter 3
Gengar 0
Drowzee 24
Hypno 2
Meowth 5
Pidgey 1
Rattata 0
Weedle 1
Jigglypuff 1
Zubat 2
Golbat 0

Tomorrow I'll have a walk around, as I couldn't do it today, and I'll be able to catch more. At home, I got 26 of them in the first day.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I want to be able to catch 127 more Drowzee/Hypnos, so I can get the gold Psychic badge to wait for the time when Mewtwo is around.

This is the breakdown up to now.

Halloween 70
Cubone 19
Marowak 0
Gastly 12
Haunter 3
Gengar 0
Drowzee 24
Hypno 2
Meowth 5
Pidgey 1
Rattata 0
Weedle 1
Jigglypuff 1
Zubat 2
Golbat 0

Tomorrow I'll have a walk around, as I couldn't do it today, and I'll be able to catch more. At home, I got 26 of them in the first day.
I'm surprised you haven't seen more of the halloween Pokemon. I see them countlessly. Even the evolved ones seem much more common. I see multiple Haunters, Hypnos and even Gengar today and yesterday. On that note it was the first time I've seen Hypno and Gengar in the wild.

I'm enjoying all the Gastly + evolutions since I rarely find Gastly, and it'll help me get the Ghost-type medals (got bronze yesterday, and I should definitely get silver by the end of this). I'm also aiming for the gold psychic medal. Good potential point about Mewtwo coming.

Oh well. Found some cubones which were a first for the dex, and was able to hatch a Persian as well. Good haul overall, especially with magikarp spitting out candies like tomorrow on my Buddy list.
I'd recommend using 5km Pokemon for Halloween. Thanks to the quartering of time, you're losing 3.75km per candy bonus with those Pokemon, as opposed to 0.75km per candy. I'm biased though as Lapras is my best battling Pokemon and I'm determined to keep it that way until I get a Snorlax or a strong IV dragon-type. And I never see Lapras in the wild, including on nearby - I only have the one I hatched in an egg.

Sucks about the lack of pokeballs. I've had that happen to me more than once. That's the main reason I usually purchase bag upgrades from the store.

Also, you hatched a Persian?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have lots of Vaporeon. But Lapras is even better than Vaporeon. It's considered one of the three best Pokemon in the game along with Snorlax and Dragonite. It also helps that my Lapras has 13 Atk / 15 Def / 15 HP IVs and Blizzard.

It takes only less than 100 gasses and 120 drows to get these Gold badges. With the help of the mall nearby I should be able to finish that quota. At least Ground can be helped by few things outside the time.

Surely, everyone is aiming to finish these unfinished badges while possible?

yea but, badge wise we got nothing to level fighting on, bar some 2 spawn nests.

got my Muk
Poison Jab and Sludge wave, very happy with that
oh and my poliwrath has battles won 2... that thing is a beast.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Completed my dex yesterday with the hatch of a Lapras! There is no regional where I live so 141 is good enough.

For now my plan is to prepare for Gen 2, get the rest of the medals up to gold, and take over gyms. Are there other alternatives you guys would suggest?

I want a lapras form Hatch :( my 10k hatched into eevee, which is great for candy... but not much else.
I have gone through a load of 2K's today and every single one was fricking weedle. 2 over 90%.. but Beedrill is Useless
5K's did give me Ekans (68%... awful like every ekans hatch :() and Vulpix.. which I had just reached 49 candies for.. putting me on 91.
so one evolved.. ember+ heat wave :D
also hatched an 82% goldeen.. but yea its a Goldeen, a nice pysduck and haunter as catches today as well.
also sticking by the 3 types of spawn.
Nest
Biome
General
Nest and Biome spawns still spawn what they spawned before, during the event. General spawns are the ones that are using Halloween spawns.
Ghost badge complete.. and caught 833 cp haunter in one pokeball... these badges seem to matter more at the top end.

Last edited:
I caught my first Gastly, Haunter, Drowzee, and Hypno. Just learned that what I thought was the Weezing silhouette was actually Gastly.

I also hatched 3 2k eggs. 2 Rattatas and a Pidgey.

I also finished my ground badge with all the Cubones.

oh my 2K decent egg run stops at clefairy... back to Weedle AGAIN and Rattata
did hatch yet another Vulpix out of my 5K's though.
caught these as well today.
1329 cp Gengar
1137 cp Marowak
1117 CP Gengar

What can I say, after mass-evolving those ghosts, I'm packing the gold Ghost badge. Now I'm a true occult maniac. Ahyahyahyahya....!
... ahem, at least three perfect Gengars are decent and Ground only needs 8 more, but I have difficulties in completing the Psychic badge....

Yet I want to have this end too. I miss the ordinary times, I need these Clefairies again for the Fairy badge.

I want it to end because these pokemon eat through pokeballs... and curveballs are not registering properly, knocking off the bonus I would otherwise need.
But it can end once i take advantage of a Bulbasaur nest >.>

Just learned that what I thought was the Weezing silhouette was actually Gastly.
I have seen that for a second I briefly hoped for something else when I see something on the radar. Hoped for a Pidgey or female Nidoran when it was a Cubone. Hoped for a Mankey when it was Drowzee. And other things....

Maybe I miss the old times a bit too much.

I want it to end because these pokemon eat through pokeballs... and curveballs are not registering properly, knocking off the bonus I would otherwise need.
But it can end once i take advantage of a Bulbasaur nest >.>
I thought that has been an issue since the game was released? And the catchrate is very weird. I had these mons burst out from Excellent throws for no reason at all.

it has, but in recent weeks its dropping below half the curveballs registering, this event is already heavy on balls due to Cubone being a close pokemon (therefore harder to curveball and hit the circle for) and the catchrate of things like the ghastly line, where my curveballs are not registering.

after a drought of 10ks i got two during the event. hatched the first one.... onix. Well, at least i'm prepared for gen2.
6.5 kms to go on the other 10k, i'm just hoping I get enough time to travel that much distance and I get something good for once :(

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I finally beat my first Gym yesterday, since it was held by only two Pokémon in the CP 800 or so range. I've been playing this game sporadically since release, but live in a semi-urban area where Poké Stops are kilometres apart, there is one Gym within walking distance, and Pokémon spawn rates are pretty low. There are long stretches of road where the "sightings" tab is consistently blank, and near my house I've never seen more than two Pokémon "sighted" at any time.

Frankly, the gameplay design of Pokémon Go outright sucks. Period. It can be fun, but that's despite its design choices rather than because of them. Gyms in particular are a broken mess. You need Pokémon in the ~1000 CP range to take a Gym, and 2000 or so to actually hold it for any length of time. This requirement punishes late adopters, since you need to go through A LOT of grinding to get there, which is particularly difficult if you don't live in a high-activity area. Catching up to actively playing early adopters is nigh impossible, which makes a large part of the game's content practically inaccessible - and this part includes Pokémon battles. The most central mechanic in the whole freaking franchise can't be played until you've grinded (ground?) your way up twenty levels or so. And then some players (looking at you, phalanx) have the gall to complain about "newbies" putting weak Pokémon in Gyms. That's their only option.

It's also pretty bad that you receive Experience as a Trainer, while your Pokémon do not. You have to give them candy to make them stronger, there is no other way. It makes the entire game seem like a particularly convuluted set-up for a Rare Candy glitch, rather than an actual Pokémon game. I'm not playing as a Pokémon Trainer, but as a Pokémon Feeder.

Well, there's the catching mechanic, I suppose, which is actually a bit fun. But they're taking the "Gotta catch 'em all!" aspect a tad too far. "Gotta catch absolutely everything, since that's the only way to progress and training isn't possible". And then you must release 99 % of what you catch. In the rest of the games, you catch Pokémon to bond with them, train them, evolve them and make them stronger. In Go, you catch everything you come across, recycle them for candies, and hoard the candies since powering up your Pokémon doesn't pay off - if you simply wait for a while, you can catch a stronger specimen of the same Pokémon.

IVs are fine, I suppose, they're there in every Pokémon game after all. But what idiot decided to randomize moves? After finally catching a rare Pokémon with good IVs, painstakingly acquiring enough Candy to level it up and evolve it, you can still end up with something borderline useless because it gets the wrong moves - something you only get one shot at. Have fun finding 150 more candies to try again. Getting a good Pokémon only boils down to luck, with several opportunities for the RNG to screw you over. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Still... it's Pokémon. It's fun to go around looking for them, it's fun to throw Poké Balls, and I like the idea of seeking out landmarks to get free items. But the game has multiple, severe downsides, problems in its fundamental design, and is a grind-fest of epic proportions. It has some good ideas, but many very bad ones. I still like playing it, but I can't help seeing all the little things that could have made the game so much better.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Frankly, the gameplay design of Pokémon Go outright sucks. Period. It can be fun, but that's despite its design choices rather than because of them. Gyms in particular are a broken mess. You need Pokémon in the ~1000 CP range to take a Gym, and 2000 or so to actually hold it for any length of time. This requirement punishes late adopters, since you need to go through A LOT of grinding to get there, which is particularly difficult if you don't live in a high-activity area. Catching up to actively playing early adopters is nigh impossible, which makes a large part of the game's content practically inaccessible - and this part includes Pokémon battles. The most central mechanic in the whole freaking franchise can't be played until you've grinded (ground?) your way up twenty levels or so. And then some players (looking at you, phalanx) have the gall to complain about "newbies" putting weak Pokémon in Gyms. That's their only option.
I started on the day it came out in Australia. Up until about 2 months after it came out, I still struggled to hold gyms because there were lots of people who played it more often than me and placed 2000+ Pokemon in gyms. Still possible to claim the weaker gyms, but not to hold

My strategy to claiming gyms was to beat gyms and then claim the bonus. It didn't really matter what I deposited since I was going to lose it. This seems like a strategy that would suit you. I had actually deposited really low CP Pokemon with 21 HP or less back when Pokemon kicked out of gyms came back with 1 HP. That way I only needed a Potion to heal it. It worked best for me, and I'm not sure if it would have actually made a difference to my team holding the gym or not most of the time, though I probably annoyed some fellow Team Mystic players. And it did earn me an animal cruelty comment from one of my uni mates though.

Now that I'm higher level (27), I can hold gyms. The gym makes it harder to level up with each additional level, and the max CP gain drops after level 30. This makes it easier for people to catch up. It definitely made it easier for me. If you keep playing, this should help you too.

IVs are fine, I suppose, they're there in every Pokémon game after all. But what idiot decided to randomize moves? After finally catching a rare Pokémon with good IVs, painstakingly acquiring enough Candy to level it up and evolve it, you can still end up with something borderline useless because it gets the wrong moves - something you only get one shot at. Have fun finding 150 more candies to try again. Getting a good Pokémon only boils down to luck, with several opportunities for the RNG to screw you over. And there's nothing you can do about it.
Yeah this is particularly annoying. Even more so when the STAB boost is the same as a super-effective hit, and some moves are way better than others. Most notably Poliwrath really wants Bubble / Hydro Pump or it's far worse. There is one good thing about a high CP Pokemon with bad moves. When it's defending a gym, people won't know the moves until they actually face it. So likely the moves won't affect the Pokemon's intimidation factor (i.e. deterring people from challenging the gym in the first place).

I caught my Poliwrath at 82% with bubble+Hydro... ones I evolved had the other moves.
more 2K eggs hatch, another rattata 2 spearows and a zubat... this gets so annoying after a while.
as for moves.... Golbat fearow and Kinglers moves are a waste of time, so having those is just pointless, I really hope Niantic do something to allow you to change moves at some point, even if its random again, because things like dragonite which require a hell of a lot of work are ruined, granted when you evovle a decent rare pokemon and get a nice moveset its nice... but when you have snorlax or lapras or Dragonite with rubbish moves... whats the point.

you took my gym strat... I took 5 yesterday and still hold 4.. been needing these extra coins and last 3 days claimed for 4 5 and 5 (lost one just after i claimed :D), pain in the backside having a slowbro with 3-4 powerups to go, above 1900 CP.. and I cant sit in gyms yet due to it probably being there for days, and then I cant finish it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)