Pokémon GO

So, I gotta get my level up quickly, because I saw a Blastoise yesterday and I'm only up to Great Balls. Thing escaped, didn't even figure out it's CP.

While walking on the college campus, I see this mobile app everywhere. My real-world self tends to blab about how much they liked Pokémon before it was cool, even though these same passerby have known nothing about Pokémon before Niantic slapped Game Freak's lovely monster designs onto Ingress.

Relevant to the actual game, it seems that Niantic added more glitches without Missingno. during the recent "update patch". It really reminds me of the classic Game Boy games, especially considering that the only Pokémon in the current version of GO are from Kanto.

what glitches did they add? they just have lots of Mechanics and don't explain them.
GPS is always buggy, they re-added the old buggy annoying curveball from the first release. I don't know how they are going to add future stuff, the stats are based of RBY, before spA and spD.
the only annoyance regarding stats is it is stacked towards attack/Bulk rather then speed, stacking the game heavily towards water. while decent CP grass types require a small fortune in candy (Vileplume, Victreebel, Venusaur) Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Jolteon are underpowered, Parasect is low CP. and Machamp, is again, expensive.
only changes they made were to move strength in terms of combat. the game is stacked Heavily towards Snorlax, Lapras, Vaporeon, Gyarados that there is little point trying to mix the gym types up, because they still win.
waiting on the GPS to bug enough to finish off the 10km egg.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've heard that each Pokémon you meet will have the same IVs for everyone, just not the same level (depending on your own level). Is that true? I found a 15/15/14 Eevee recently, tried to call a friend who lives nearby but he wasn't around so we couldn't try...
But at least I got my Hpump Vaporeon :D

Otherwise, worst moment for me was seeing a nearby Lapras, but couldn't find it. I can't wait for a better radar (or actually, just a radar, since the crap we have now is worthless).

I've heard that each Pokémon you meet will have the same IVs for everyone, just not the same level (depending on your own level). Is that true? I found a 15/15/14 Eevee recently, tried to call a friend who lives nearby but he wasn't around so we couldn't try...
But at least I got my Hpump Vaporeon :D

Otherwise, worst moment for me was seeing a nearby Lapras, but couldn't find it. I can't wait for a better radar (or actually, just a radar, since the crap we have now is worthless).
... And here I keep hoping to get both Laplace and near-perfect Hydro Pump Vaporeon I want to name Mizuki and travel with.

How's everyone's luck in 10km eggs? I had two of them after I had never seen it in 3 weeks and all they hatched were a Magmar and a freaking Eevee. The same thing I usually find when doing gym heists around. That Eevee's IV isn't even as good as those I've captured either. Seriously, how did them people get Snorlax and Laplace?! The best luck I ever had was a Kabuto....
:mad: And then evolved 5 Eevees and only one Water Pulse Vaporeon is the good thing... I don't need another one.

Anyway, yes, I heard it was tested and it was true. It seems like a spawned Pokemon already has IV data along with them. It is just the CP range/level which is determined to match individual player's level.

And to me, there's no longer unwanted curveballs; I have superthrows instead. I thought I'm trying to catch Pokemon, not trying Olympics cannonball throw....

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another question: is there a good source for best moves by Pokémon? I used to look on the Pokémon Go Database but I've noticed they are sometimes wrong (for example, they say that Steel Wing is better than Peck for Fearow because they calc the fast attack dps only, but peck yielding 2.5 more energy/use allows a higher use of Drill Run, thus a better overall DPS)
So is there any source out there that takes those in account? I wouldn't mind making a spreadsheet myself (looks like it would take 2 hours at most) but if it's already out there, why would I bother? :D

Oh and do we know the damages a critical hit does? 200%, 150%, other? Sorry if I could just google it, but I'm at work from my phone so I can't access the whole Internet that easily :/

Also last relevant needed info: how long one needs to hold the screen to charge a move? For example hyper beam has a duration of 5 seconds, but I guess that's just the animation and does not take the time "lost" clicking on the screen?

Last edited:
10KM egg hatched into 13/14/13 Electabuzz
GG Gyarados
shame it got thunderbolt and not thunder :(
if you can access the internet, check out trainer tips videos, they cover these sort of things, and researches them.
was explaining curveballs and dodging yesterday.

On another note, has anyone noticed that Pikachu here has the male's sharp tail tip yet Raichu has female's cut tip? I know this is minor, but oh come on, Niantics!

And I heard some people overseas now put eggs on gyms, essentially breaking those gyms. Just... what the heck....

And I heard some people overseas now put eggs on gyms, essentially breaking those gyms. Just... what the heck....
Yeah indeed, eggs can't be taken down nor taken out. Fortunately not a lot of people know how to do this so I hope Niantic hops onto this quickly...

yea read about it, ban hammers for them, given its done with a 3rd party program.
would be fun to put eggs in nearby gyms for a laugh though :( given 1 gym around here is level 5
the weakest thing is a 1261 CP snorlax in there
also 1387 flareon
1535 Gyarados
2018 Vapoeron
2379 Dragonite
cant remove these without nuking it for ages.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I hope they do not, weak Pidgey's breaking out of multiple poke balls is not fun, and adding this would only make it worse.
They could make it so the chance of the Pokémon breaking out was the same regardless. For example, if the Pokémon had a 10% chance to break out when it had three possibilities to escape, then they could have it be a ~7.7% chance with four possibilities. I don't know... Feeling that joy from catching a Pokémon should be after the ball clicks shut, not as it shakes for the third time.

Pidgey and Ratatta are the worst for escaping, great fun catching a CP 900 jynx in a Pokeball with its orange circle.. then struggling to catch a pidgey with a green one right after.
the mechanic ruins the game for me, especially when Ultra balls hardly come out of pokestops, you just end up going through balls for no gain, especially in an area with 3 pokestops with lures you still can't maintain.

yea read about it, ban hammers for them, given its done with a 3rd party program.
would be fun to put eggs in nearby gyms for a laugh though :( given 1 gym around here is level 5
the weakest thing is a 1261 CP snorlax in there
also 1387 flareon
1535 Gyarados
2018 Vapoeron
2379 Dragonite
cant remove these without nuking it for ages.
I saw one in my area (Lv 6 or Lv 7 Gym) with the WEAKEST being 1800+ Gyarados. It also had 2700+ Dragonite and 3000 Snorlax.

Pidgey and Ratatta are the worst for escaping, great fun catching a CP 900 jynx in a Pokeball with its orange circle.. then struggling to catch a pidgey with a green one right after.
the mechanic ruins the game for me, especially when Ultra balls hardly come out of pokestops, you just end up going through balls for no gain, especially in an area with 3 pokestops with lures you still can't maintain.
Agreed. I recently started playing and the escaping mechanic is absolute bullshit, especially for those in semi-rural areas with less access to Pokestops. Why it's even included is beyond me.

By the way, anyone can tell me what the white semi-circle mean? Also, is there a limit to how much Power-Up you can give to a Pokemon (if so, what is it governed by?) ?

Agreed. I recently started playing and the escaping mechanic is absolute bullshit, especially for those in semi-rural areas with less access to Pokestops. Why it's even included is beyond me.
My only guess is that it's meant to present a "challenge" when catching pokemon since you can't fight them. I know a lot of people are advocates for being able to fight the pokemon in this game, but I'm not sure how it'd work out. Considering the way the battle system works in this game, I feel like even when you've stopped attacking the wild pokemon to throw pokeballs at them, they'd probably still try to attack your pokemon and just move around more than they already do.

By the way, anyone can tell me what the white semi-circle mean? Also, is there a limit to how much Power-Up you can give to a Pokemon (if so, what is it governed by?) ?
Assuming you mean the pokemons CP (combat power) bar, thats your pokemons attacking power but also its 'level' if you like since PoGo pokemon dont have the normal 1-100 levels as they do in the main game. it does have limits but these are goverened by your trainer level and can be increased each time you level up as a trainer. As your trainer level increases the wild pokemon you capture will have higher cp to match your level so dont go ploughing all your stardust on your cp100 pokemon you caught at level 7 as you will end up using hundred/thousands of stardust if u want to keep it maxed out all the time and end up catching a stronger one anyways. If though you have your favourite pokemon that you got from an egg, has best possible final evo moveset and you want to keep by your side throughout your journey together then go for it but stardust is a precious commodity that shouldnt be spread to thinly across all your captured pokemon.

My only guess is that it's meant to present a "challenge" when catching pokemon since you can't fight them. I know a lot of people are advocates for being able to fight the pokemon in this game, but I'm not sure how it'd work out. Considering the way the battle system works in this game, I feel like even when you've stopped attacking the wild pokemon to throw pokeballs at them, they'd probably still try to attack your pokemon and just move around more than they already do.
I understand that you're being sarcastic with the use of quotation marks, but I don't see how anyone could objectively think that a dice roll that completely prevents you from catching something could be construed as a challenge. I've had even the likes of Pidgey escape from a curveball, "great!/excellent!" throw and immediately run, which is one of the most annoying things I've ever come across in the game. While I understand the intent is to incorporate some measure of eliminating guaranteed capture, I still think that A) Pokemon breaking out of the ball, and B) semi-limited resources (especially for rural and semi-rural folks) should be the main method of presenting "challenge".

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I understand that you're being sarcastic with the use of quotation marks, but I don't see how anyone could objectively think that a dice roll that completely prevents you from catching something could be construed as a challenge. I've had even the likes of Pidgey escape from a curveball, "great!/excellent!" throw and immediately run, which is one of the most annoying things I've ever come across in the game. While I understand the intent is to incorporate some measure of eliminating guaranteed capture, I still think that A) Pokemon breaking out of the ball, and B) semi-limited resources (especially for rural and semi-rural folks) should be the main method of presenting "challenge".
it's not a pokemon game unless RNG fucks you over

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)