Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like how the Pokemon turns its head at us in response like, "Oh thanks for the praise ^_^"
and then gets ready to battle again.

I wonder if you only start cheering your Pokémon on when you've spent time on them in PokeAmie to build a strong enough bond so the cheering comes with an added meaning.

It's probably been asked before, but do you guys think trainer battles will be optional in this game? I doubt it.
No, that was only a part of the demo so you could decide whether or not you wanted to have the full-blown experience, or blitz straight through to the MEvo fight. They advertised avoiding other trainers on the official website, which implies that, once again, they'll stop you dead in your tracks for a battle if you walk past them.

You guys realize the "cheering" lines were in BW/2 as well, right? Seems more prominent in XY, but if you switched a Pokemon in to a low health enemy in the Gen 5 games, for instance, you say something like "It's almost dead, you should be able to do this!"

I really do like how your Pokemon acknowledges you while still looking focused on the battle, though.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just like how the Pokemon turns its head at us in response like, "Oh thanks for the praise ^_^"
and then gets ready to battle again.
Omg yes I loved that too!! And I also love how the trainers have their little win/loss gestures at the end of each battle! Reminds me of Colosseum/XD! I wonder if we can customize that. That would be incredible!!

Omg yes I loved that too!! And I also love how the trainers have their little win/loss gestures at the end of each battle! Reminds me of Colosseum/XD! I wonder if we can customize that. That would be incredible!!
I would love customizable battle beginners/ending statements/everything the Trainer says, kinda like Battle Revolution. It'd be banned online for sure, but still.

Also, how the hell will Diglett be able to turn its head to look at us

Same goes for Voltorb and co

The turning to you thing is a pokemonamie thing, by the way

Pretty interested in how the less mobile pokemon (honedge comes to mind) do it without looking extremely silly

The turning to you thing is a pokemonamie thing, by the way

Pretty interested in how the less mobile pokemon (honedge comes to mind) do it without looking extremely silly
You could...polish it? I dunno lol
I REALLY don't want to touch Ferroseed :p

You guys realize the "cheering" lines were in BW/2 as well, right? Seems more prominent in XY, but if you switched a Pokemon in to a low health enemy in the Gen 5 games, for instance, you say something like "It's almost dead, you should be able to do this!"
I really do like how your Pokemon acknowledges you while still looking focused on the battle, though.
It's true that there have been different mid-battle phrases based on switching Pokémon out, but those only really applied to battle. It's more prominent in the new games because the phrases are built around winning because you're so close instead of making a point that the opponent has almost fainted. Now it's more of a "Do your best out there, buddy!"
That's what caught my attention, anyway

Also these were our friends, not random trainers
You can't really argue that. In the BW demo, you're forced into a battle with both Bianca and Cheren, who are in-game friends, so allowing for a more personalized experience with the demo was just a choice they made this time around.

Last edited:
The turning to you thing...Pretty interested in how the less mobile pokemon (honedge comes to mind) do it without looking extremely silly
I'm more than sure that "less mobile Pokemon" will have some sort of "thrilled to bits animation :D" or display of confidence as a result of the encouragement to compensate (Honedge whipping its cloth back and forth...oh wait... :confused:)

EDIT: Honedge pumping its cloth "fist"...

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just passing by to remind you guys that Sylveon has 95 Base HP. It had 155 HP at level 50 in some older trailer, and that's only possible with 95 base, unless it had any EVs.

Last edited:
You could...polish it? I dunno lol
I REALLY don't want to touch Ferroseed
LOL
Just passing by to remind you guys that Sylveon has 95 Base HP. It had 155 HP at level 50 in some older trailer, and that's only possible with at most 95 base (and 0 IV); meanwhile, the demo had a lv30 Sylveon with 106 HP, which means it had 31 IV.
So if it has 95 hp then I'm guessing that it will most likely have 110 SPA and 130 SPDef and attack defense and speed stats might be 60-65 stats.But Sylveon used draining kiss in the game show video and it barely did anything but healed a lot of health.Does it recover the amount of damage it deals or just half like giga drain?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
LOL

So if it has 95 hp then I'm guessing that it will most likely have 110 SPA and 130 SPDef and attack defense and speed stats might be 60-65 stats.But Sylveon used draining kiss in the game show video and it barely did anything but healed a lot of health.Does it recover the amount of damage it deals or just half like giga drain?
The beta tester had said it would recover 100% of the damage dealt.

Just passing by to remind you guys that Sylveon has 95 Base HP. It had 155 HP at level 50 in some older trailer, and that's only possible with 95 base, unless it had any EVs.
Oh that's a good point, I thought the shiny one confirmed either 95 or 110 base HP, but wow....that just justifies even more how the hell sylveon survived the life orb, crit, rain hydro pump.

For reference assuming the absolute minimum damage case of -SpAtk Nature, 0 SpAtk IV, 0 SpAtk EV Politoed and Calm sylveon with 95 base HP and 130 base SpDef, all 31 IVs, 252 HP and 252 SpDef investment takes:

0- SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 118-140 (58.41 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

According to the battle log in the previous page, politoed did 50% to damage to Sylveon on the first Hydro Pump. Every other case does significant more damage than this. And this case is extremely unlikely.

There is definitely a battle mechanics change, either crit is nerfed, rain is nerfed, or sylveon's dream world ability, or other possibilities....but it cannot be possible with the current damage calculation formula.

Last edited:
Has anyone realized the use of malamar in doubles with its topsy turvy move which can reverse the SPA drop from moves like Draco meteor,Leaf storm,Overheat,Psycho boost etc?

Has anyone realized the use of malamar in doubles with its topsy turvy move which can reverse the SPA drop from moves like Draco meteor,Leaf storm,Overheat,Psycho boost etc?
A controlled Contrary...that's actually what stood out to me the most, aside from the amazing Power Whip animation (and Sylveon's tankliness...)

Competitively, it's a testy setup. If he hadn't used Draco Meteor and Topsy-Turvy on the same turn before Trick Room was activated, the strategy would have been thrown out of whack. The reason I was impressed that they thought to show that tactic without being intrigued at the implied utility of Topsy-Turvy is because it becomes a drawn-out Swords Dance of sorts if you're using it to patch up your Pokémon that take a stat recoil from using high-power moves. Anything that takes more than one Pokémon to pull off can be disrupted more easily than any tactics that can only be done with one Pokémon, it's a part of why the Pledge moves in BW weren't seen as an optimal strategy for their secondary effects after use.

So yes, I get the feeling that it was recognized, but I also have a gut feeling that I'm not the only one who thought before it was showcased in the double battle show that Topsy-Turvy, like all other moves that target one Pokémon, could also be used on an adjacent ally.

The battle between Gamefreak and PokeSmash was probably pre-determined. Any critical hits toward the side favored to win are therefore nullified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)