Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello darling~-smiles cheesily to Narutendo in front of Shiruba-

Why are you expecting someone out of the blue to post translations here specifically just because you want them? Didn't somebody provide a link elsewhere to where there is a translation? If you want it for documentation purposes, that's all well and good, but stop sitting there complaining about how everyone hasn't finished queening out over new information. Everyone's opinion is special, even though they may be similarily worded, that shouldn't be seen as an issue. The least you could do is go out into the web and see if anyone anywhere else has posted translations, if reading it is what it'll take to satisfy you.

EDIT- here, the bulbagardeners tried their hardest.
From their Facebook page:
Hey babe. I'm not expecting anything. It would just be nice if someone somewhere who speaks japanese would translate it. The bulbagarden thing that was posted earlier isn't a translation. Do they understand japanese over there? To me, it just sounds like them speculating the same as we have. And yeah, people's opinions matter. It would just be nice if people posted more specific and/or unique thoughts. It's pretty meaningless to be the 50th person to post, "electric/normal is weird".

Hey babe. I'm not expecting anything. It would just be nice if someone somewhere who speaks japanese would translate it. The bulbagarden thing that was posted earlier isn't a translation. Do they understand japanese over there? To me, it just sounds like them speculating the same as we have. And yeah, people's opinions matter. It would just be nice if people posted more specific and/or unique thoughts. It's pretty meaningless to be the 50th person to post, "electric/normal is weird".
You sound like you want a direct script translation, like when you're reading subtitles from a translated anime. That's not likely to happen. I believe R N has an understanding of the language, and there's a handful of people on smogon who know japanese well enough to break it down, but only a few of them have shown any interest in posting on the speculation thread, so that's not likely to happen. The best you can hope for is a fair explanation of what went on, similar to what the bulbagarden Facebook page has. and yes, they have a community of translators who actively work to figure this stuff out, and that quote was likely the product of their work, since they gave specifics based on the conversation that the cast had during the attribute test. What happened was that the Smash cast hasn't figured out Sylveon's type, and they seem incapable of also determining her strengths and weaknesses, but they will only make assumptions based on how she interacts with whatever they gave her. None of it is contrete, but her ability to break ice MIGHT mean something(that she's very sociable. lol, ice breaker puns). My honest guess is maybe she landed a critical hit, and nobody took note of it :I

But, maybe they'll explain it all next week. Maybe.

I finally found something:

[09:39] yup
[09:39] first, for several weeks/months on Smash they've been introducing Akiyama eeveelutions
[09:40] such as Leafeon Akiyama, Flareon Akiyama, Eevee Akiyama etc
[09:40] they're usually identified with their type, as in 'The Grass-type, Leafeon Akiyama', which match the types of the original Pokemon
[09:41] (Akiyama being the guy dressed up as the Eeveelution)
[09:42] this week Sylveon Nakagawa moved into the Eevee Akiyama House, apparently from Philadelphia
[09:42] She was asked what type she was, but she wouldn't say yet, so the Smash cast decided to try guessing
[09:44] They state there are exactly 17 types, so it would take too long to check them all
[09:44] So they decide to check types not currently represented by Eevee/an Eeveelution
[09:45] beginning with a type based on a 'special skill' of Sylveon Nakagawa's - to which she brings out a pair of nunchucks
[09:46] Because she's skillful with nunchucks, they decide that she could be a Fighting-type
[09:47] So they have her battle with a martial artist to see if she's a Fighting-type, and she loses and ends up stuffed into a steel drum
[09:47] so they decide that she's not a Fighting-type, because she's useless fighting
[09:48] her next 'special skill' is ice-breaking
[09:48] she splits a big block of ice into two with a karate chop
[09:49] to which the announcer replies "She certainly seems to be quite strong against Ice..."
[09:49] because she is strong against Ice, they decide that she could be a Steel-type
[09:50] and that if she is a Steel-type, then Poison-type moves won't affect her
[09:51] so they have her wear a box around her head, put some stinky shoes in a bag and then pump the smell into her box
[09:52] she does smell it, and starts coughing
[09:52] a text box pops up "It was effective?"
[09:53] then when she keeps coughing for a minute or so, "Was it Super-Effective?!"
[09:53] then the announcer states that they can't figure out her type from just these tests
[09:53] and she leaves

This was apparently by bluesun at bulbagarden. http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/pokemon-smash-discussion-thread-146563/index37.html

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ok so let me see if I got it right

You don't know Japanese

But want people who know to translate it word by word for you

And you complain people are using this thread to talk about their opinions about the new pokémon and other confirmed info

Which is the whole point of the thread?

Even though Exbo has posted the video to Pokémon Smash already?

Sorry, not buying it.

Anyways, clefable and blissey and our other pink blobs are already crying over the fact that they are grouped with ratatata and bidoof.

I would definitely believe a fairy type or something similar is being made.
Imagine Chansey and Blissey being immune (and super effective) against dragon like the supposed inside info says. Adding Poison and Steel weaknesses would hurt them, but it would also give them a defense mechanism against fighting types, which they need. I'm kind of excited over the prospect of a new type. It would add such an interesting dynamic to the metagame.

@Mario With Lasers You were right to not "buy it" considering that was a silly misinterpretation of my points. Anyway, I posted a translation I found.

A tiny bit of translation: (found on 4chan earlier, forgot to screenshot)

There are some black letters with white around them when the Sylveon woman is made to smell the bad-smelling thing. They wrote the japanese letters for super effective. Will update if I find something.

Imagine Chansey and Blissey being immune (and super effective) against dragon like the supposed inside info says. Adding Poison and Steel weaknesses would hurt them, but it would also give them a defense mechanism against fighting types, which they need. I'm kind of excited over the prospect of a new type. It would add such an interesting dynamic to the metagame.
A new type would COMPLETELY change the metagame, the tiers would significantly change and create an entirely new metagame. If a new type does turn out to be real (evidence suggests so), then this is going to be FUN.

So, I'm going to be captain obvious and create a list, just for an easy reference. Also yeah, feel free to scratch the obvious "no"s in your mind, as I will be doing.

What it Could Be

Flying
Dragon
Rock
Ground
Bug
Ghost
New Type

What it Can't Be

Normal
Grass
Electric
Fire
Water
Ice
Steel
Poison
Psychic
Dark
Fighting

More examples of what I was talking about. I post a full translation. What follows? "Hey, 4chan might have a bit of translation" and "A new type would change things".

:evan: *rage quit*

効果バツグン = super effective
Quoted to Google translate at your own convenience.

It is from 4chan. Obvious lack of legitimacy is obvious.
Exbo said so. Legitimacy is obvious, period.

Don't ask how, I double check.
More examples of what I was talking about. I post a full translation. What follows? "Hey, 4chan might have a bit of translation" and "A new type would change things".

:evan: *rage quit*
I was ninjask'd there, you replied too soon. Plus I had the 4chan tab open looking for the post so the reply tab was left open for long too.

Alright, sorry about that Exbo. I guess that does happen sometimes. Was that the case for everyone? I doubt it.

Any idea where the "10 page extensive summary" and "100 word bullet point list" are? Or have they even actually been made?

I don't even know what the guy was referring to. If you want, check the thread before it 404's.

Anyway, so far, Poison is SE against Grass only and Sylveon can't be any other Eevelution's type, counting Eevee (stated in Smash)

So, we have a pretty much confirmed fact: New type OR Type effectiveness rearrangement

I don't see anything. I think we know all we need to though at this point. It's really odd that the new type is SE to ice. Makes me wonder if it will be fairy after all.

And if matchups were just getting rearranged, this would be an extremely odd way of showcasing it.

Really though, I think another weakness for ice is a solid sign that matchups will be rearranged in addition to there being a new type. Currently ice is already the worst defensive type (weak to 4, resists 1), and isn't even the best offensive type based solely on numbers.

I finally found something:

[09:39] yup
[09:39] first, for several weeks/months on Smash they've been introducing Akiyama eeveelutions
[09:40] such as Leafeon Akiyama, Flareon Akiyama, Eevee Akiyama etc
[09:40] they're usually identified with their type, as in 'The Grass-type, Leafeon Akiyama', which match the types of the original Pokemon
[09:41] (Akiyama being the guy dressed up as the Eeveelution)
[09:42] this week Sylveon Nakagawa moved into the Eevee Akiyama House, apparently from Philadelphia
[http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/pokemon-smash-discussion-thread-146563/index37.html
...what? The Sylveon is from Philadelphia? The "City of Brotherly :heart:"?

Sorry MWL

1. this
[09:53] then when she keeps coughing for a minute or so, "Was it Super-Effective?!"
Equates to the black letters that were referred to. It's a joke.

2. Please don't talk about what happened to Sylveon as though it definately means one thing or another, as not even the Smash cast made any concrete statements about Sylveon's reactions. They only created more questions for themselves. Here's what we definately know about Sylveon:
-Sylveon is not a Fighting, Steel or Poison type.
-Ice types are not immune to her STAB attack. to what extent Ice-types would take damage from Sylveon is still unkown
-she can take damage from Fighting and Poison types. To what extent is unknown.

I watched the Sylveon segment, and I love how she puts on this ritzy princess-like persona, and then says she's from Philly. The most elegant thing about Philly is probably the architecture, so I cracked up at that. Then, they ask her about her type, since it's not only important because she's a Pokemon, but because she's an Eeveelution, and each one is special. She doesn't give a direct answer, as if she doesn't even know herself. After the tests, she pulls out a cell phone and has to leave on some form of business, though Eevee and the two cast members are permitted to follow her. It looks like they're continuing the sketch next week(?) The whole thing was really cute, I didn't even mind that they were dancing circles around the topic.

EDIT-at about 8:08, they continue the sketch with Sylveon, but they're talking to one of the voice actors. Does this conversation have any signifigance?

Sometimes people show up in the middle of a thread and it happens to be just after they learned the new info. That person obviously won't go back and read the past 10+ pages, so they just post what they think now.

Also, some people are 13.

It could very well be a rock type. SE against ice, weak to fighting, and affected by poison. It looks like a flying type to me but if that 4chan stuff is true then it probably isn't.

1. this
Equates to the black letters that were referred to. It's a joke.

2. Please don't talk about what happened to Sylveon as though it definately means one thing or another, as not even the Smash cast made any concrete statements about Sylveon's reactions. Here's what we definately know about Sylveon:
-Sylveon is not a Fighting, Steel or Poison type.
-Ice types are not immune to her STAB attack. to what extent Ice-types would take damage from Sylveon is still unkown
-she can take damage from Fighting and Poison types. To what extent is unknown.
You don't know they were joking. They were obviously being coy and silly about it, but it would be strange for them to say something's super effective and not mean it. After all, you're taking it for granted that Sylveon isn't fighting or steel type because they said it. And they didn't even say it isn't Poison. Of course, it's implied since they said poison was super effective to her.

You don't know they were joking. They were obviously being coy and silly about it, but it would be strange for them to say something's super effective and not mean it. After all, you're taking it for granted that Sylveon isn't fighting or steel type because they said it. And they didn't even say it isn't Poison. Of course, it's implied since they said poison was super effective to her.
There are very particular things that you can take away from the show based on implications alone, and then there are certain things that are still up for debate that you can't say are fact just yet. We can imply that, since she wasn't immune to "poison" that she wouldn't have the defenses of a Poison type based on the effectiveness of the shoes. We cannot say for sure that the "damage" taken from the "poison" attack was super effective, since the only real implication was the question that popped up on screen. The QUESTION of whether or not it was super effective, not the STATEMENT that is was one or the other. Same goes for what happened with the beefy guy and the block of ice, it was never said straight out that "this is super effective!" in any of the trials It was only questioned how much damage she was giving/receiving.

You're right that I don't know that they're joking, but you would be wrong to talk about it like it's for sure what will happen to Sylveon in-game. Do you think they would start showcasing her strengths and weaknesses right off the bat? I'm a bit skeptical.

i think narutendo wears the pants in your relationship. he's just like "hey babe" and yveltal's just all flowery and such.

well if poison is se against ____ that's excellent. finally, a buff. another ice weakness sucks, though.

and if that summary was correct, he was just asking a question, right? not necessarily confirming that poison is se against _______?

but sylveon is from philly.
wow.
take me on a trip, i'd like to go someday
take me to new york, i'd love to see l.a
i really want to
come kick it with you
you'll be my american boy~

but seriously guys, chill.
it's pokemon.

pokemon.

pokemon

take a deep breath and go take a walk or watch an angsty chickflick

There are very particular things that you can take away from the show based on implications alone, and then there are certain things that are still up for debate that you can't say are fact just yet. We can imply that, since she wasn't immune to "poison" that she wouldn't have the defenses of a Poison type based on the effectiveness of the shoes. We cannot say for sure that the "damage" taken from the "poison" attack was super effective, since the only real implication was the question that popped up on screen. The QUESTION of whether or not it was super effective, not the STATEMENT that is was one or the other. Same goes for what happened with the beefy guy and the block of ice, it was never said straight out that "this is super effective!" in any of the trials It was only questioned how much damage she was giving/receiving.

You're right that I don't know that they're joking, but you would be wrong to talk about it like it's for sure what will happen to Sylveon in-game.
Yep, they said nothing about fighting's matchup, just that Sylveon isn't fighting type. However, ice went:
[09:49] to which the announcer replies "She certainly seems to be quite strong against Ice..."
[09:49] because she is strong against Ice, they decide that she could be a Steel-type
And for poison, it was a question technically, but I'd certainly say it meant something.
Regardless, yes, neither of us can be 100% certain.

Whatever. Next up, can we expect the official Pokemon website to have clear images of everything in CoroCoro up on the website by Wednesday? Gotta get a better look at the new regional map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)