Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.7GB is smaller than I'd initially hoped tbh, but with the terrible slightly-better-than-DS textures in most places, I guess it was to be expected.
How big did you want the thing?
Most of the "big" 3ds games don't go over a gig, much less near 2 gigs (RE:R being the obvious exception)

The worst thing about this is the potential reorganization of type priorities for Hidden Power if Fairy type throws the metagame on it's ass. Suddenly, Infernape might be better off with a Steel type Hidden Power instead of Ice (as a bad example)
This is bound to happen. Fairy type is significantly gonna change the metagame with its type chart, new threats, new abilities, new moves, new strategies. Many if not all old sets have to go. I hope there are better options than hidden power coverage.

1.7 GB...I'm very happy HEARING that, as Awakening was only 1.1 GB. Hopefully when we do gets our hands on it, most of the space is used for core aspects and not gimmicks.

This is bound to happen. Fairy type is significantly gonna change the metagame with its type chart, new threats, new abilities, new moves, new strategies. Many if not all old sets have to go. I hope there are better options than hidden power coverage.

1.7 GB...I'm very happy HEARING that, as Awakening was only 1.1 GB. Hopefully when we do gets our hands on it, most of the space is used for core aspects and not gimmicks.
I actually wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of that was a combination of the graphics & the music

still a lot of game in there, obviously, but higher grade assets likely take up a large amount of room

I actually wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of that was a combination of the graphics & the music

still a lot of game in there, obviously, but higher grade assets likely take up a large amount of room
The music has been improving every generation. I'm actually looking forward to the music just as much as graphics. BW/BW2 had many really good tracks (Route 10, my personal favorite). But I want a sound test in-game and the ability to choose which track I want to play in wi-fi/battle tower/subway etc. It starts to get stale listening to the same tune post-game. I don't consider graphics/musics to be gimmicks. Poke musicals/pokewood are gimmicky to me. Poke contests from rse however were not gimmicky to me, personally.

@meganiultimate:
Replace it? Replacing it would be the worst thing to do, just imagine the number of illegal moveset/ability combinations that you have just created if there is cross-compatibility. If anything they should improve it like having a base power range between 60-70 instead of 30-70. Even though it makes more sense to base it off IVs, I would prefer they do it off something else like maybe EVs so at least we have the ability to change the type whenever we want.

EDIT: my bad sorry about the name

Last edited:
@megaultimate:
Replace it? Replacing it would be the worst thing to do, just imagine the number of illegal moveset/ability combinations that you have just created if there is cross-compatibility. If anything they should improve it like having a base power range between 60-70 instead of 30-70. Even though it makes more sense to base it off IVs, I would prefer they do it off something else like maybe EVs so at least we have the ability to change the type whenever we want.
Make it a learnable egg move. Any Pokemon could learn it, except the ones who can't breed :3 I'm a devil. BTW, Meganiultimate is my name.

The music has been improving every generation. I'm actually looking forward to the music just as much as graphics. BW/BW2 had many really good tracks (Route 10, my personal favorite). But I want a sound test in-game and the ability to choose which track I want to play in wi-fi/battle tower/subway etc. It starts to get stale listening to the same tune post-game.

@meganiultimate:

EDIT: my bad sorry about the name
Make it a learnable egg move. Any Pokemon could learn it, except the ones who can't breed :3 I'm a devil. BTW, Meganiultimate is my name.
Let's not debate this. Hidden Power has been a vital TM move for four generations, so unless there is some change with the Fairy-type that renders it unusable, it's probably not going anywhere.

Keep in mind that OoT3D is a port of a <32MB N64 game. Also,I think except for X/Y those are all the size of the cart, and not the size of the game.
Well, it's a port of that game with entirely reworked textures, audio, models, lightning, and animations. It's not like they're just emulating the n64 game! Frankly, I thought it looked absolutely fantastic despite the small file size. I expect X and Y will be similarly great. While 3DS textures aren't photorealistic, I think that Nintendo (and associated developers) are very good at getting at a good aesthetic with simple ones.

I know hacks are frowned upon, but will being able to download X and Y to an SD card make them easy to hack on a computer? We might have some troubles this time around getting legitimate Pokémon...

I know hacks are frowned upon, but will being able to download X and Y to an SD card make them easy to hack on a computer? We might have some troubles this time around getting legitimate Pokémon...
As you can load every loadable thing in eShop to card, I think it doesn't make things any easier.

As you can load every loadable thing in eShop to card, I think it doesn't make things any easier.
I also suspect that it will do what Animal Crossing New Leaf does and (1) Not allow for save back ups and (2) Not allow transfer to new SD Cards

And besides, it's not the size that matters, it's how they use it.
That's what she says. Hahahahahah.

Anywaayy, regarding the Hidden Power, you know they can just change the formula in a way that accommodate the new Fairy type while at the same time retaining your previous Hidden Power type.

That's what she says. Hahahahahah.

Anywaayy, regarding the Hidden Power, you know they can just change the formula in a way that accommodate the new Fairy type while at the same time retaining your previous Hidden Power type.
Yes, I know its possible that you can tweak the formula to accommodate for hidden power fairy while keeping the others intact. But look at who you are dealing with...the same company that produced fire/fighting for 3 generations in a row, and decided to gave us a trailer of fennekin using glow punch, out of all the ~600 moves to choose from that could have been showcased. Just because it's possible doesn't been they will do it. Bottom line: trollfreak may will strike again.

How big did you want the thing?
Most of the "big" 3ds games don't go over a gig, much less near 2 gigs (RE:R being the obvious exception)
I'll just say that I had huge hopes for the game. Maybe too huge.

At any rate, there's just no valid excuse for the lack of texture filtering. It was pure laziness and it makes me wonder what X and Y would be like if they were built on a proper engine for 3DS.

Well, it's a port of that game with entirely reworked textures, audio, models, lightning, and animations. It's not like they're just emulating the n64 game! Frankly, I thought it looked absolutely fantastic despite the small file size. I expect X and Y will be similarly great. While 3DS textures aren't photorealistic, I think that Nintendo (and associated developers) are very good at getting at a good aesthetic with simple ones.
Yes, and all of that contributed to it being 18x as large as the original.

I'm sorry, but these unfiltered, pixelated textures are just nasty. >.<

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but these unfiltered, pixelated textures are just nasty. >.<
Do you have a 3ds? At first when I saw 3ds trailers in 720p on youtube, they looked too pixely around the edges for my taste. After I bought a 3ds and turned off the 3D mode, they still looked pixely around the edges. But when I turned the 3D mode on, the pixely border was almost unnoticeable. Now I can't play 3ds without 3d, because it would look pixely around the edges without 3d. I know a lot of people don't like the 3d mode because you have to keep adjusting your head. After a while, I got used to it. The screenshots in the eshop, are not with the 3d, which is why I agree with you that it does look pixely around the edges. But I feel that when you get to actually play the game in 3d, you won't notice the pixely borders.

Think of it like drawing a 3D box on paper vs seeing a real box. The drawing would appear bigger on paper to accommodate for the added structure to give the feeling of 3D on 2D paper. Which is why it looks more pixely.

Last edited:
Do you have a 3ds? At first when I saw 3ds trailers in 720p on youtube, they looked too pixely around the edges for my taste. After I bought a 3ds and turned off the 3D mode, they still looked pixely around the edges. But when I turned the 3D mode on, the pixely border was almost unnoticeable. Now I can't play 3ds without 3d, because it would look pixely around the edges without 3d. I know a lot of people don't like the 3d mode because you have to keep adjusting your head. After a while, I got used to it. The screenshots in the eshop, are not with the 3d, which is why I agree with you that it does look pixely around the edges. But I feel that when you get to actually play the game in 3d, you won't notice the pixely borders.
Yes, I do. First of all, I usually play with 3D off, and this definitely won't change that. Second, no 3DS game I've been has it nearly as bad as this. It's really obviousthat the issue is that they ported Gen 5's engine and didn't bother to add texture filtering. It's just plain lazy.

By the way, the reason you don't notice the textures in 3D is because you can't focus your eyes with 3D on.

Yes, I do. First of all, I usually play with 3D off, and this definitely won't change that. Second, no 3DS game I've been has it nearly as bad as this. It's really obviousthat the issue is that they ported Gen 5's engine and didn't bother to add texture filtering. It's just plain lazy.

By the way, the reason you don't notice the textures in 3D is because you can't focus your eyes with 3D on.
Yes that's true. I'm not saying that the resolution has changed, it's the effect of overlaying the two images in 3D stereoscopy as it reaches your eye, blurring the edges.

But yes, I can see gamefreak being lazy with texture filtering. But this is a HUGE improvement compared to the back sprites in BW/BW2 and even the animations. Why are they so zoomed in? I absolutely despised BW/BW2 sprites and animation. Did you see the pixelation in those? My god they look so TERRIBLE for a DS game, it felt like a huge step back from Dppt.

obviousthat the issue is that they ported Gen 5's engine and didn't bother to add texture filtering. It's just plain lazy.
P-po-

Ported the Gen 5 engine?

.... Dude. The Gen 5 engine isn't designed to compute 3D models of that magnitude. It would fail.

Also another thing

If XY really is an engine port, than why is it so hard to transfer data between the two games? They seem to be having trouble with that at the moment.

Also I'm pretty sure you guys don't know what a "port" is. Ocarina of Time 3D is not a port.

Yeah it's pretty obviously not the same engine
Like maybe as a backbone since some things would be similar, but saying it's just ported over sounds crazy

e: Also could you show specific examples of these terrible awful textures because it seems about in line with other 3ds games?????? And doesn't look bad?????????????

Espeon, I agree with R N here. The only 3DS game I've played regularly is Code of Princess (and I've also watched some of the new PMD game), and the building and floor textures in the most recent XY trailers look to be about on par with what I've seen from those games, but with the main series' artistic quirks worked into everything. I'd be more sure about it if I saw an updated version of the mountain/desert area. It's the only thing revealed so far where the most recent screenshot is rather unappealing, since the most recent screenshot is from January.
Other than that, I feel that your knowledge on textures, mapping and technical game development is shaky if you're going to comfortably say that the previous engine was just conveniently ported in, especially when texture filters had to be created for so much of the graphics already. If the floor tiles are really almost directly based on what was used in BW, they would have still had to edit the maps(just the maps alone, let alone textures) heavily to keep the entire ground from looking like a sore thumb in a full 3D game.

Just look at Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It looks brilliant on the 3DS, with perfect textures and such. And it has a pretty complex engine.

I'm sure X and Y is going to look amazing.

like, ok, Kid Icarus for instance. A great game and Sakurai clearly puts a ton of love into the enviroments & models but

sometimes it doesn't look that fantastic

compare to i don't know, the fishing scene

this honestly doesn't look terrible??

and while i think the textures themselves could be a bit more varied, this doesn't look awful either

Even a closer look at the textures due to photo mode, it's fuzzier sure but... (also check out the serperior on the gates; nice touches)

So, anyone interested in seeing other regions return? I hope the "scoop of the century" is that we can visit all the other regions in X&Y. Also, those Railway Tracks are leading into the ground. Could there be a town underground? Or maybe a post-game area?

I don't have a 3DS yet. :(
Anyways when was it confirmed that the move used by chespine, honedge and talonflame on golurk, octillery and haunter respectively was Ariel Ace? In Serebi, it says so in the known moves of the pokemon above.
So, anyone interested in seeing other regions return? I hope the "scoop of the century" is that we can visit all the other regions in X&Y. Also, those Railway Tracks are leading into the ground. Could there be a town underground? Or maybe a post-game area?
I think it would be a great idea to be able visit other regions. Getting other regions starters like in HG and SS would also be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)