Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that Megas evolve as soon as they're sent out. If it takes a turn or you need low health that would be ridiculous and hampen their effectiveness. They don't seem broken or anything, GF there's no need to nerf them.
In the videos of megalutions game freak have released the pokemon were at full health, so unless they regain health after transforming low health wouldn't be the case.

Pokemon about Mega Evolution said:
When a Pokémon becomes a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in battle, Trainers will have a great opportunity to turn a battle around and snag a win!
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the way this is sentenced, it looks like you need to be at a disadvantage in the battle for the Mega Evolution to trigger.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the way this is sentenced, it looks like you need to be at a disadvantage in the battle for the Mega Evolution to trigger.
OR
OR

It's just a way of advertisement that they're more powerful, so they're worth a spot on your team/will save you when you send them in.

/totally not ripping off a certain moderator's style

OR
OR

It's just a way of advertisement that they're more powerful, so they're worth a spot on your team/will save you when you send them in.

/totally not ripping off a certain moderator's style
Honestly I agree, it and a few other sentences really do make it sound like Megas are supposed to act like a trump card for a battle going south, rather than something you can just always do
They're just so vague about it!

Well, wont matter for long, chances are the demo tomorrow (Tonight???????) will clear everything up

Honestly I agree, it and a few other sentences really do make it sound like Megas are supposed to act like a trump card for a battle going south, rather than something you can just always do
They're just so vague about it!

Well, wont matter for long, chances are the demo tomorrow (Tonight???????) will clear everything up
Watch it have to be your last remaining Pokemon

Imagine beastly Normal/Fairy MegaWigglytuff... With 2x in every stat except HP. It'd look like a stereotypical Fairy.

ew

Anyway, I think you just send out a Pokemon, wait a turn, and BAM! MEvo.

Imagine beastly Normal/Fairy MegaWigglytuff... With 2x in every stat except HP. It'd look like a stereotypical Fairy.

ew

Anyway, I think you just send out a Pokemon, wait a turn, and BAM! MEvo.
I don't think Megas are gonna be THAT powerful (x2 one stats, a little higher in others is something, but x2 in all stats but HP oh wow). And why would it look like a stereotypical fairy? am I missing something here?

I don't think Megas are gonna be THAT powerful (x2 one stats, a little higher in others is something, but x2 in all stats but HP oh wow). And why would it look like a stereotypical fairy? am I missing something here?
I think he means this:

Mega Wigglytuff

HP: 140
ATK:2x
DEF:2x
SPA:2x
SPD:2x
SPE:2x

If they do give Charizard and Gyarados MegaEvolutions think about the possible type changes... ;)

Anyway, one of the things they've said is that not all Pokemon will be able to MegaEvolve.
Like all the vague statements they've made so far this is also open to interpretation.
We've generally taken it to mean that certain final stage Pokemon will not MegaEvolve.
However it seems clear that ONLY final stage Pokemon can MegaEvolve which is sufficient to satisfy the statement that all Pokemon do not.
(Though this leads one to ask whether 1-stage Pokemon that have gained MegaEvolutions, such as Absol or Mawile, have had their evolutionary lines sealed. Quite probably.)

Now, one of the other things I've seen on the official site is that there will be 'many' MegaStones to find around the Kalos region.
Just randomly I thought to myself that ~100 would be many; that's about the number of TMs + HMs you find during the most recent games.
Then I checked just how many Pokemon exist which do not evolve any further. According to Bulbapedia 102 (54 normal, 48 Legendary) of the 649 as of Gen V do not evolve.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_evolution_family (see Trivia at bottom)

That means that they are either 1-stage or the final stage of a multi-stage line.
The number 102 is a much more manageable number that the 649 we usually think of.
I don't know how many will be added for Gen VI but we can compare to Gen V which was a totally original generation.
Between Gen IV and Gen V there were 12 additional ordinary terminal Pokemon and 13 additional legendaries for 25 total.
So I'll just guestimate and say that there will be ~130 when Gen VI is accounted for (though it may be a smaller generation).

It's entirely feasible for GF to design ~130 MegaEvolutions of existing Pokemon for the XY games.
It's probably a heck of a lot easier than coming up with the unique evolutionary lines and legendaries.
These megas are supposed to be recognizable as Mawile, Absol, Ampharos etc. just looking more powerful.
So it's a matter of tweaking an existing design rather than coming up with something completely new.
As for the MegaStones, the number of stones found in the games might be less because we know some will be distributed exclusively with event Pokemon.

Anyway, just throwing it out there as a possibility that the opposite of eviolite exists for every final stage form just as eviolite applies to every pre-evo.

pokemonxy.com said:
In the Pokémon series up until now, there has been a limit on how many times each Pokémon could evolve. However, Mega Evolution is a different kind of Evolution, one that surpasses that limit.

What do you all think about the Pokemon Swirlix and Spritzee? They seem totally able to evolve, and besides, they could have MEvos. I'm not very sure what Spritzee is, like a perfume-hummingbird-plague doctor, and I do see it evolving into something Honchkrow-Like.

Swirlix, however, is a cotton candy poodle pup. I see it evolving into Candy Fluff Houndoom. After all,

It's entirely feasible for GF to design ~130 MegaEvolutions of existing Pokemon for the XY games.
It's probably a heck of a lot easier than coming up with the unique evolutionary lines and legendaries.
These megas are supposed to be recognizable as Mawile, Absol, Ampharos etc. just looking more powerful.
So it's a matter of tweaking an existing design rather than coming up with something completely new.
As for the MegaStones, the number of stones found in the games might be less because we know some will be distributed exclusively with event Pokemon.
They could, but then what would be special about mega pokemon? It basically would become like a turbo mode for any pokemon. And the way describe the designs makes it sound like the lazy way out for game freak, so I'm not sure if you behind this or not.

They could, but then what would be special about mega pokemon? It basically would become like a turbo mode for any pokemon. And the way describe the designs makes it sound like the lazy way out for game freak, so I'm not sure if you behind this or not.
By virtue of being evolutions of otherwise final staged Pokemon (specifically looking at the 3 stage lines like Ampharos here) they're pretty special already

In many ways this is worse than the legendaries should be special argument

No, it's just one stage. If it were as you said, there would be less than 306 total Pokemon.
Thanks good catch!

I wanted to figure it out without counting it myself so I was happy to accept 102 but it's too low.
There are actually ~88 single stage + terminal evolutions in Kanto alone.
But the total is still significantly less than the 649.

I still think every previous gen Pokemon which appears natively in Kalos will MegaEvolve.
And all previous Pokemon that fit the criteria will eventually get Megas.
If their stones aren't found intially, they'll end up in Pokemon Z or whatever.
With the 3DS update caps compatibility should not be as much of an issue.
If someone has a 'new' Pokemon in a link battle the data could be transferred before it starts.

EDIT:
New estimate excluding most formes:
Kanto ~ 88
Johto ~ 51
Hoenn ~ 79
Sinnoh ~ 49
Unova ~ 81
Total ~ 348

Last edited:
I've "tiered" all of the MEvo's so far in three specialized and fake tiers.

The first tier of MEvo's are the "Complaint" Pokemon.
Complaint: Absol, Mawile These Pokemon were highly complained about. They needed evolutions in the first place, however, they recieved very well done MegaEvolutions. The Next Pokemon I see in this tier is the Pokemon Sableye. People say it needs an Evolution, so why not give it a MEvo?

The next tier I've thought up was the "Newly OU" tier.
Newly OU: Mewtwo, Blaziken, Lucario The requirements for this tier are Pokemon that have seen a rise in use in the past two Generations due to moveset upgrades, competitive gameplay usage, or overall necessity. I see Donphan fitting snug into this role. It is an average Pokemon,stats that fit in well with the other Pokemon in its tier, and the obvious need of an upgrade. It should have a MEvo!

The final fake tier is the "Forgotten" tier.
Forgotten: Kangaskhan, Ampharos To qualify for this tier, Pokemon have to had been in either (competitively) OU or UU in the Generation they started in, and are now in the NU tier. My pick for this one would totally be Lapras! Good-ish stats, totally wanted in Generation I, and an all-around, solid Pokemon. Imagine MegaLapras on the field! (giant shell and body oml)

I'm not saying these will be tiers, so they shouldn't be taken as real tiers. I am grouping Pokemon in the best way I know how. Feel free to discuss my choices, no harm done to me.

Last edited:
I know it's not anything major at all, but the latest episode of the Pokemon anime aired and it confirmed Noivern can use Sonicboom. It's to be expected. I think it'll be this gen's stand-a-lone dragon like Druddigon was last gen. Hope it's fast with at least high-average defenses along with high sp.atk.

I know it's not anything major at all, but the latest episode of the Pokemon anime aired and it confirmed Noivern can use Sonicboom. It's to be expected. I think it'll be this gen's stand-a-lone dragon like Druddigon was last gen. Hope it's fast with at least high-average defenses along with high sp.atk.
That's cool. Most SonicBoomers have pretty-ok Special Attack.

Actually it didn't use sonicboom. the moves it used were dragon pulse, boomburst and bite according to bulbapedia

Actually it didn't use sonicboom. the moves it used were dragon pulse, boomburst and bite according to bulbapedia
Serebii has it as it used Sonic Boom according to their database of character biographies. If you click on Alexa's Biography, it shows all of her Pokemon including Noivern who it says to have used Sonicboom in the latest anime episode that aired this week in japan.

http://www.serebii.net/anime/characters/alexa.shtml

I see no reason why Noivern shouldn't have any evo or preevo.It could be just like Dragonite and Salamence but more specially oriented.

I see no reason why Noivern shouldn't have any evo or preevo.It could be just like Dragonite and Salamence but more specially oriented.
I don't know, I don't really see them giving this gen's pseudo legendary to someone as simple as Alexa and revealing it so early. I certainly wouldn't mind it getting an evo or a preevo, but I just don't see it. I would be a tad disappointed though since I'm hoping the pseudo legendary of this gen is fairy with a unique second typing. Like Fairy/Dragon or Fairy/Dark.

I'd much rather that Mega Evolution is accessible to only those Pokémon that have reached a certain BST. Until then, let GF introduce normal evolutions for them. You look at something like Houndoom and it needs a normal evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)