Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet again, Charizard gets a new ability that makes it my favorite.

But then again, Mega Blastoise has the FRICKIN AWESOME CANNON on its back... hmm...

Thick Fat Venusaur sounds really good...considering they have confirmed the increase in both Defenses.

Drought Charizard looks good....on paper. SR still tears it a new one.

Mega Launcher Blastoise is perhaps the most mysterious of them all. What does the ability do? What stats are increased? I really want to know.

Thank goodness they announced the transfer methods. It intrigues me that they are going to be tackling the "hacked" Pokemon (never specified to what extent: legit hacks not allowed?, only illegal sets?) now...which means I may have to go RNG soon.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Drought is confirmed to boost Fire attacks. The Politoed battle was rigged even worse than we thought.
Sorry, but when has this been confirmed?

The thing is defensive. It got both defensive stats boosted, Thick Fat is the better choice for that.
No, Chlorophyll would still have been the better ability. No Leftovers means you are a shit wall, at the very least you need fast recovery to make up for it.

Thick Fat Venusaur in Rain with Weather Ball, boo ya.
Duuuuuude I totally forgot that event. Finally Weather Ball Bulbasaur will have a use!

Besides...

We vagina now.

Last edited:
Thick Fat Venusaur sounds really good...considering they have confirmed the increase in both Defenses.

Drought Charizard looks good....on paper. SR still tears it a new one.

Mega Launcher Blastoise is perhaps the most mysterious of them all. What does the ability do? What stats are increased? I really want to know.

Thank goodness they announced the transfer methods. It intrigues me that they are going to be tackling the "hacked" Pokemon (never specified to what extent: legit hacks not allowed?, only illegal sets?) now...which means I may have to go RNG soon.
They could make it to detect RNG manipulation too. Then what?

No, Chlorophyll would still have been the better ability. No Leftovers means you are a shit wall, at the very least you need fast recovery to make up for it.
The thing has access to moves to heal up already.

Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Synthesis
Ingrain

Plus Mega Venusaur has less weaknesses than a chlorophyll one.

Mega Venusaur was bound to have a worse ability than normal - abilities just don't get much better than Chlorophyll.

Drought Charizard is crazy, though. People were clamoring for that when they heard Ninetales got Drought but not Charizard. Charizard has better stats in nearly every category (except SpD) and has a few nice traits (Fighting resist, Roost, Ground immunity). The Stealth Rock weakness didn't stop Volcarona from doing its thing, and although Volcarona has better stats, movepool, and role to mitigate its Stealth Rock weakness (weather changers have to switch in/out more often), Charizard should still be able to find a place in the metagame. The only thing disappointing was Blastoise didn't shoot water from its cannons.

I really love the idea of PokeBank. 3000 Pokemon?! I'll never fill that but having the space means I don't have to worry about leaving behind Pokemon in older gens.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The thing has access to moves to heal up already.

Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Synthesis
Ingrain

Plus Mega Venusaur has less weaknesses than a chlorophyll one.
I know it has less weakness, but Venusaur has what, four resistances? Ferrothorn can pull it off because it's resilient as hell, learns good utility moves and has access to Leftovers; I'm not expecting the same from Venusaur, specially considering its opportunity cost of being the only Mega in your team.

Charizard still needs to Mega Evolve to activate Drought. So it could be KOed on the switch before it could even get that chance. That and unlike Ninetales, it has to stay in for one turn to activate the ability too. So you could lose the Weather War right away.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
For anyone curious, the yearly fee for Bank is 500¥ which roughly equates to $5 USD.
This is crazy cheap if this is indeed the case.... It's basically win win here for Nintendo. Pokemon cannot be that big of a file to store, even 3000 of them won't take up more than say 100mb of storage space. I doubt anyone would even get close to 3k Pokemon in their bank anyway that's frankly pretty ridiculous lol. I got to 800 or so on Ranch and that was full of bidoofs/weedles/magikarps etc.

On the other hand, Charizard could use protect to stall for one turn vs lead Politoed, then activate drought on the next turn with mega evolve (and possibly KO politoed on the same turn if it stays in)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wonder what kind of moves are boosted by Mega Blastoise's ability, Mega Launcher?

Water Pulse and Dark Pulse are confirmed. Dragon Pulse is also a safe bet. But beyond that?

If the ability was created for and tailored to Blastoise, I guess it will be mostly moves from Blastoise's movepool. If not (meaning that other Pokémon might get the ability later on), I'd expect most "cannon-like" moves to get a boost, such as Flash Cannon (already learnable by Blastoise), Zap Cannon, Octazooka, and possibly even Fire Blast, Mud Bomb and Focus Blast. Plus, of course, a handful of Gen. VI moves.

Also, Mega Blastoise's stats have not yet been mentioned. Mega Venusaur gets higher defenses. Mega Charizard gets a boost to Sp.Atk (possibly not making up for the lack of Solar Power, though). But Mega Blastoise? I've always considered 'stoise to be the defensive one of the three, but Venusaur nabbed that specialization. With that big cannon on its back, I don't see it improving its physical Attack either. Perhaps it will stay relatively unchanged? Or will it join Charizard with an improved Sp. Atk? Time will (hopefully) tell. I could see GameFreak hiding the base stats of Mega Evolutions, forcing us to run a gazillion in-game damage calcs in order to determine the stats of everything, all the while drowning in unsubstiated statements from newbies who don't understand the "damage roll" part of the formula, such as claiming that their Megazard hit harder than Regularzard with Slash and that it thus has to have a higher Attack.

Fresh Start Metagame sounds nice. Especially if Drought and Drizzle Ninetales and Politoed aren't in X and Y normally. No weather wars for a while. Well we still have Sunny Day and Rain Dance...

Also RNG manipulation is impossible on the 3DS so we'll have to be lucky.

Guys, volc is in OU and it has a crippling weakness to SR too. It doesn't have drought though. This might be just what zard needs to rise above it's current station.

This is crazy cheap if this is indeed the case.... It's basically win win here for Nintendo. Pokemon cannot be that big of a file to store, even 3000 of them won't take up more than say 100mb of storage space. I doubt anyone would even get close to 3k Pokemon in their bank anyway that's frankly pretty ridiculous lol. I got to 800 or so on Ranch and that was full of bidoofs/weedles/magikarps etc.
Assuming the data structure doesn't get a whole lot bigger, 3000 pokemon should take up about 400 kilo Bytes.

Reactions: PME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)