Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Absol's +2 Sucker Punch now OHKOs Scizor. Combine that with its mega evolution and it could live up to its potential as a glass cannon. Weavile is a superior Pursuit user, but Absol deals with Jirachi more easily. Sableye's Foul Play suddenly becomes more obnoxious to deal with as well. Gengar is the glaringly obvious beneficiary that others have discussed.

As for Pyroar, I'm very happy it retained its typing. Fire/Normal is fantastic in-game. I imagine it'll be much like Stoutland but with Fire STAB (i.e. absolutely pull its own weight, be available in first few routes, etc). We are getting a lot of unique typings this generation: Electric/Normal, Fire/Normal, Steel/Ghost, Dark/Psychic, Electric/Fairy, Rock/Dragon, Rock/Ice, and Fairy itself. I love the variety so far. I wonder if we'll see Ice/Normal or Water/Normal to mimic Kanto or Johto bird/beast trios?

Contrary is amazing, and Reckless Emboar is certainly better than Blaze Emboar. Seriously, Contrary Leaf Storm is 140 BP STAB Nasty Plot. Serperior is already fast and has decent bulk, so it should be at least UU when it comes out. Also, Gatr gets Sheer Force (eventually). It sounds like fairy and ghost will dominate OU, and Scizor will get even better with Bullet Punch being SE on most fairies.
Which is why I said nothing of Serperior, but the other two still suck.

Ganonboar would have made a great Fire/Dark type and Sammurott is self explanatory...

Ganonboar would have made a great Fire/Dark type and Sammurott is self explanatory...
I wouldn't be so quick to write off Reckless Emboar. With Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Head Smash, it has more than enough moves to take advantage of its Dream World ability and it does have the HP to deal with recoil. CB hits like a truck, what with Emboar having the highest Attack stat of any starter, beating Blaziken by 3 points. And of course, Reckless Emboar isn't meant to sweep at all; its whole job is to use its obscene power to crush whatever comes in. We can't all have Speed Boost.

It's not like they're irrelevant. Samurott is one of the best Pokemon is NU and Emboar is good in RU. Samurott's hidden ability is useless (though not as much as Swampert's), but Emboar has Flare Blitz and Wild Charge with Reckless.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Reckless Emboar. With Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Head Smash, it has more than enough moves to take advantage of its Dream World ability and it does have the HP to deal with recoil. CB hits like a truck, what with Emboar having the highest Attack stat of any starter, beating Blaziken by 3 points. And of course, Reckless Emboar isn't meant to sweep at all; its whole job is to use its obscene power to crush whatever comes in. We can't all have Speed Boost.
It has the HP to survive recoil, it does not have HP to survive recoil and the opponents attacks, defenses are too low for that. Best case scenario, it survives a hit and manages to KO the opponent which also kills itself unless the opponent had very low health. Plus, he gets no good fighting moves anyway, so he could have been fire/dark and kept Reckless.

Last edited:
It has the HP to survive recoil, it does not have HP to survive recoil and the opponents attacks, defenses are too low for that. Best case scenario, it survives a hit and manages to KO the opponent which also kills itself unless the opponent had very low health. Plus, he gets no good fighting moves anyway, so he could have been fire/dark and kept Reckless.
I don't know why this conversation is going on here, but I just battled a Custap Berry Emboar. One SE attack backed by Reckless puts its HP at the Custap Range and you are free to use another. I lost to the guy who ran the set, as he KOed my Omastar and my Scarfed Heracross with Custap. It's risky, yes, but feasible.. a great late-game sweeper/cleaner after SR damage.

Has anyone realised how terrible psychic is now? Ghost get a buff and everything psychic do is done better by fairies.

I'd like to bring up Adaptability Bullet Punch of MegaLucario, which, regarding 'Scizor is getting even better!' deserves a mentioning - as 'Ghost will dominate!' (Bullet Punch is already Lucario's best bet against Gengar) and Fairy is weak to Steel; it's not OHKOd by Scizor's BP itself and Fighting Priority is losing some good match ups because of Fairy's Resistance.

Am I the only one who isn't a big fan of Pyroar's design? =/

It's pretty solid, I guess, but I don't see anything too special about it.
I kind of agree, I was thinking about this before getting back online. The head is pretty sweet, but the body looks very underwhelming in looks. I wouldn't say the same thing about other Normal types, like Bouffalant or Audino, who I feel are good design examples where it's all about the head and then the body follows. Bouffalant's selling point is the afro because it takes up so much of the screen. You don't really care what the rest of the body looks like, so they didn't over-think it's design. Audino's got her fancy ears, and the pink wraps down on top of the rest of the body, giving her some interesting shapes and making her look rather complete. Pyroar has tan-colored socks and a tassle-like coif on it's tail, and it looks so bare basic, like there should be something extra, but they decided to leave it off...unless it gets...a MEvo?

I'd like to bring up Adaptability Bullet Punch of MegaLucario, which, regarding 'Scizor is getting even better!' deserves a mentioning - as 'Ghost will dominate!' (Bullet Punch is already Lucario's best bet against Gengar) and Fairy is weak to Steel; it's not OHKOd by Scizor's BP itself and Fighting Priority is losing some good match ups because of Fairy's Resistance.
Lucario can learn crunch and Megalucs attack skyrockets it seems like he has an answer for ghosts

I know it's too early to say, but which type combination could potentially be the most defensive? Water/fairy looks really good on paper to deal with dragons. Ghost/fairy seems to be better than ghost/steel what with steel being debuffed. Think we'll get these combinations?

Ya know it would be hilarious to see all the rage when Chespin and Froakie final forms are monotypes and Fennekin turns out to be a fire/fighting that uses a bo staff.

I know it's too early to say, but which type combination could potentially be the most defensive? Water/fairy looks really good on paper to deal with dragons. Ghost/fairy seems to be better than ghost/steel what with steel being debuffed. Think we'll get these combinations?
Azumarill is already Water/Fairy and Milotic is supposed to get it.(leak/rumor/egg group) Likewise, Mismagius is supposed to get Ghost/Fairy. We'll see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)