Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the magnitude of the Tough Claws boost is. Even if it's a 20% boost like Iron Fist it'll still be a great ability. Essentially, it's a free boost to physical attacks as only a minority do not make contact. Most of the non-contact physical moves are Ground-type attacks (of which Earthquake is the most significant) and moves that involve the throwing of projectiles (most Rock-type attacks and stuff like Icicle Crash, Seed Bomb etc).

So...in Charizard's existing physical movepool STAB Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, and Outrage will be boosted along with Fire Punch, Flame Charge and Flare Blitz. That, and the increased attack will help make up for the fact that MegaCharizard cannot equip boosting items. It'll also enjoy sun support to stack another boost with STAB and Tough Claws. DD is an obvious choice among Zard's Atk boosting moves but could the risky Bellyzard rise again like the phoenix?

1) Magic Bounce/Rapid spin
2) Sun support
3) Profit?

Adamant Charixard
~Belly Drum
~Fire Punch
~Flame Charge
~Dragon Claw

There are achievable conditions that could make this rather difficult to stop. If it gets a turn to setup and there's no opposing Pokemon that can knock it out before speed boosts are accrued it'll probably sweep. Slower, bulkier teams would be more at risk of being eaten for lunch. Hopefully Charixard keeps or improves on Charizard's base 100 speed.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wonder what the magnitude of the Tough Claws boost is. Even if it's a 20% boost like Iron Fist it'll still be a great ability. Essentially, it's a free boost to physical attacks as only a minority do not make contact. Most of the non-contact physical moves are Ground-type attacks (of which Earthquake is the most significant) and moves that involve the throwing of projectiles (most Rock-type attacks and stuff like Icicle Crash, Seed Bomb etc).

So...in Charizard's existing physical movepool STAB Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, and Outrage will be boosted along with Fire Punch, Flame Charge and Flare Blitz. That, and the increased attack will help make up for the fact that MegaCharizard cannot equip boosting items. It'll also enjoy sun support to stack another boost with STAB and Tough Claws. DD is an obvious choice among Zard's Atk boosting moves but could the risky Bellyzard rise again like the phoenix?

1) Magic Bounce/Rapid spin
2) Sun support
3) Profit?

Adamant Charixard
~Belly Drum
~Fire Punch
~Flame Charge
~Dragon Claw

There are achievable conditions that could make this rather difficult to stop. If it gets a turn to setup and there's no opposing Pokemon that can knock it out before speed boosts are accrued it'll probably sweep. Slower, bulkier teams would be more at risk of being eaten for lunch. Hopefully Charixard keeps or improves on Charizard's base 100 speed.
You forgot about Charizard's nonexistent defenses.

Could he get Draco Meteor? Possibly even run a MixMence-esque set, except with STAB on his fire attack? Draco Meteor (Hell, even Dragon Pulse) and Flare Blitz both with STAB will be sexy. The E4 won't see what's coming.

Speaking of which, I hope the E4 will be in the 60-70 level range since Mega Evolutions for our starters essentially gives us a legend from the get go. Big map + horde battles + EXP All + easy manipulation of EVs could mean it's not so much a grind to get to those high levels, justifying higher than usual levels on the back end.

It's so tempting to look at that spoiler thread since it moves so much faster, but I must resist!

Not sure how I feel about Mega Charizard X. It's design looks too fanart-ish (especially with the weird flames coming out from either side of its mouth). Second, can GF ever stop favoring Charizard over the other Kanto starters? I am a fan of all the starter pokemon (less so Gen 5, but eh), and am over Venusaur and Blastoise being left out. I'm not saying to remove one of Charizard's two MEvos, but give Blastoise and Venusaur one too.
I'm going to bet money that both Blastoise and Venusaur will have alternative Megas, and they'll be revealed over the next week. (I'd like to HOPE it'll be tomorrow and Friday)

I'm also really becoming uncertain on what game I want. Yveltal is SO much cooler than Xernas, but Mega Mewtwo X is cooler. When it comes to Charizard, I'm pretty torn, but won't matter since I'm not picking him on my first run anyway. Y is clearly BETTER because Drought is amazing. As for looks, I'm kind in the air. X has a nicer colour scheme/typing, but Y looks cooler, I think.

Good point. I doubt if every pokemon will have both an X and a Y form, but it's a possibility. Interesting thing to note: Mewtwo Y and Charizard Y both improve things that the base form was already good at (special attacking and being same-typed) - you could say that the Pokemon is going Up (Y-Axis). Mewtwo X and Charizard X improve something the pokemon was not all that good at (physical attacking and changing type), which you could say is a lateral change (X-Axis). A sample size of two isn't the greatest, of course, and it's also a possibility that Y forms favor special attack overall.
Thats a great point. So im assuming the Mega Ampharos weve been seeing is its X version maybe due to type change...but its still special based so i dunno :/

I'm wondering what the physical attack Charizard X used in the trailer is. It looks a little too weak to be Flare Blitz. Maybe it's Flame Charge, but we don't get to see a stat boost.

I'm going to bet money that both Blastoise and Venusaur will have alternative Megas, and they'll be revealed over the next week. (I'd like to HOPE it'll be tomorrow and Friday)

I'm also really becoming uncertain on what game I want. Yveltal is SO much cooler than Xernas, but Mega Mewtwo X is cooler. When it comes to Charizard, I'm pretty torn, but won't matter since I'm not picking him on my first run anyway. Y is clearly BETTER because Drought is amazing. As for looks, I'm kind in the air. X has a nicer colour scheme/typing, but Y looks cooler, I think.
Friday is when the embargo ends, so its pretty likely that youll see them then.

I'm wondering what the physical attack Charizard X used in the trailer is. It looks a little too weak to be Flare Blitz. Maybe it's Flame Charge, but we don't get to see a stat boost.
Maybe it's a new move? We've seen Flame Charge, and it doesn't look anything like that. And I don't know if that's epic enough to be Flare Blitz, given what they've done with Hyper Beam and Brave Bird.

When a pokemon mega evolves does it stay that way for the rest of the battle? Or else Mega Charizard X would still be 4x weak to stealth rock.

Also, say they release unreleased dream world pokemon during gen 6, couldn't you get them in gen 5 through the dream world? So would they now be legal in the gen 5 metagame or would nobody care about it anymore? And if they made them legal in gen 5, but didn't bother to test them, wouldn't that make some tiers chaos? Like sheer force feraligatr in the ru?

If you cannot get a pokemon officially in a generation, then it won't be in an official Smogon tier. Shadow Tag Chandelure and Sheer Force Feraligatr will probably never be in official Gen 5 tiers due to this.

Has an official list of all the version differences been released yet? It seems very odd that Nintendo would keep version differences under wraps considering, you know, they're how people determine which version to buy. I really don't get why they're keeping so many things secret this close to release.

Has an official list of all the version differences been released yet? It seems very odd that Nintendo would keep version differences under wraps considering, you know, they're how people determine which version to buy. I really don't get why they're keeping so many things secret this close to release.
Because....they always do? The only reason we knew about all the version exclusive stuff in the past is because there were 6 months between japanese & international releases.

They'll say a few pokemon here, a place there, maybe some slight story changes mentioned but otherwise we're not getting differences until after the games are released.

Well, that's what I'm talking about. The games come out in 9 days and afaik the only differences they've announced are a couple of exclusive Pokemon. I was just wondering if that's all they've announced or if there's anything else I haven't heard of yet.

Also, wonder what's up with all the Mega Evo X exclusives getting new typing—I hope that's not a feature exclusive to X, because that would be super lame for those of us getting Y.

Last edited:
...I've just done a massive hide-fest on my Facebook news feed because heaps of people were posting in-game screenshots. Avoiding spoilers is proving very tricky!

Did they explain Black City / White Forest prior to the Gen V release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)