Battle Mechanics Research

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
idk if these have been mentioned or are worth listing but here's a short list:
  • Do Pluck/Incinerate/Bug Bite still do damage first before checking for the appropriate type resist berry?
  • Does Acrobatics still remove the Flying Gem first before checking for an item?
  • Does Protect still cause Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick to cause crash damage?
  • Does Spiky Shield do damage in addition to the crash damage?

Last edited:

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1) Does Flower Veil prevent ally Grass Pokemon from lowering their own stats via moves like Superpower?
2) Does Sweet Veil prevent ally Pokemon from using Rest?

Does Justified provides an Immunity against Dark-Type moves?
If the above is true then: Does it provides an immunity against Dark-Type status moves? (Like Dark Void or Taunt just like Sip Sapper makes you immune to Grass status moves)

Can Ghost/Steel types (read: Aegislash) be trapped by Magnet Pull, or are Ghosts now immune to all forms of trapping, without exception? What about grounded ghosts and Arena Trap?

Can Ghost/Steel types (read: Aegislash) be trapped by Magnet Pull, or are Ghosts now immune to all forms of trapping, without exception? What about grounded ghosts and Arena Trap?
I've never seen anything in this game that counters an immunity without being very explicitly crafted to do so.

Does Leaf Guard still prevent the use of Rest?

Also, it might be worth to check the duration of Sleep and moves like Taunt and Encore.

The Knock Off and Trick of the Megastones are not possible.

Mr. mime tried to trick me before mega evolution and it failed.

And Lucario, that was put to sleep thanks to the opponents Yawn didnt start sleeping after it switched back in. It slept 3 turns before switching out. It sleept 3 turns, was switched out and after it was switched in, it woke up.

Last edited:
1) Does stat calculation still follow the same formula as the past 3 generations?
2) Do previous generation Pokemon still have the same base stats as before?
I suppose transferring over Pokemon is an easy way to confirm this but it will be some time until bank is out...
I know these questions might seem like they ate highly doubtful to change but they serve as a serious backbone.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
There are quite a few questions about Mega Evolution that we need to verify...

1. When you select Mega Evolve, is it possible to switch/use items on the same turn instead of attacking?

2. Mega Gengar gets Shadow Tag. If it Mega Evolves, would the opponent still be able to switch out on that turn? (I'm guessing yes, since otherwise switching would fail and it'd be a wasted turn, but it's best to confirm).

3. Many Mega Evolutions get higher base speed when they evolve. Does this immediately update that turn's order when both pokemon use equal priority moves (I assume it would)?

4. Freeze Dry is similar to a multi-type move, but it isn't the same. How does it react to types like Water/Grass, or Water/Steel? Would it be 4x and 1x effective in those cases?

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There are quite a few questions about Mega Evolution that we need to verify...

1. When you select Mega Evolve, is it possible to switch/use items on the same turn instead of attacking?

2. Mega Gengar gets Shadow Tag. If it Mega Evolves, would the opponent still be able to switch out on that turn? (I'm guessing yes, since otherwise switching would fail and it'd be a wasted turn, but it's best to confirm).

3. Many Mega Evolutions get higher base speed when they evolve. Does this immediately update that turn's order when both pokemon use equal priority moves (I assume it would)?

4. Freeze Dry is similar to a multi-type move, but it isn't the same. How does it react to types like Water/Grass, or Water/Steel? Would it be 4x and 1x effective in those cases?
2. Switching has a higher priority than mega evo so yes on the turn gengar mega evolves you would be able to switch.

4. Proper damage multipliers take place. Normally a grass/water would take 1x damage from ice moves since grass is doubled damage while water halves the damage but in the case of freeze dry, ice does double damage instead of halved damage so the mon would take 4x damage instead of the 1x damage it would've taken if it was any other move. Freeze dry isn't a multi-type move, it's just an ice type move that hits water super effectively.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
3. It'll work similarly like how it works in 5th gen doubles in where mon 1 uses tailwind causing mon 2 which would normally go 4th to instead go second, so yes speed is calculated in real time.
The order that all Pokemon move is calculated at the beginning of each turn in BW, and cannot be changed assuming all Pokemon move within the same speed bracket. Tailwind will go into effect the turn it is used, but will not grant its effect until the turn after it is used.

That said, this could easily work differently in XY, be it for Megas or in general.

Haruno

The order that all Pokemon move is calculated at the beginning of each turn in BW, and cannot be changed assuming all Pokemon move within the same speed bracket. Tailwind will go into effect the turn it is used, but will not grant its effect until the turn after it is used.

That said, this could easily work differently in XY, be it for Megas or in general.
Oh derp. Editing post now. Thought differently. Either that or my opponent's in vgc run some weird spreads.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Thanks for understanding my question, that's exactly what I meant. It will be interesting to see how these mechanics are changed in XY for Mega evolutions.

I'm still interested to test how Freeze Dry behaves, since yes, it seems very likely it will act like I described, but it's still the only move like that in the game (that we know of so far). It's not dual-type and yet breaks the type chart rules.

Does Soundproof now act like the other "immunity" abilities (Provides some kind of boost)?

Should be easy to test.

Haruno

What's Freeze-Dry's chance to freeze?
Anything % based will be very very hard to check since we no longer have a way to hack the structure on the game so we can't get exact values. The best way would probably be to get a mass survey since the more and more research samples you have the less sample error you'll have and the closer you'll have to the actual value. Though I can't see it being more than 20%.

On another note, for mons that get (insert x move here) from their mega evos do their base forms learn it as well? Like say mewtwo getting HJK and the likes.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Statistically speaking, that's not actually the case. A 10% probability of success doesn't necessarily translate to 10 successes in 100 trials; a much greater sample size is needed to minimize the influence of outliers and such.

Haruno

Keep in mind that unless they're doing something odd like "15% chance of freezing", the next tier of a secondary effect occuring after 10% is 20%. A 100 sample size should be enough to tell whether it has a greater chance of 10% freezing or not.
100 sample size is absolutely pitiful and still has massive room for error. You're going to need a much larger sample size. Not to mention there might be other factors like fire types have a lower chance of being frozen, sunny day makes you thaw faster, etc etc etc. Overall a ton of testing must be done.

Do ghost types get a free switch out against Pursuit? I know their ability benefit allows them to switch out while trapped by mean look or shadow tag, but I'm curious to see if that extends to any move that prevents them from switching for whatever reason.

- If Mega Evolution happens after switching, what happens if a Pokémon Mega Evolves after selecting a Pursuit and the opponent switches?
- How is the one Mega per team constraint actually enforced? It is simply forbidden to hold multiple Mega stones in a team, or there is no such limit but once a Pokémon has Mega Evolved the others are unable to?

- How is the one Mega per team constraint actually enforced? It is simply forbidden to hold multiple Mega stones in a team, or there is no such limit but once a Pokémon has Mega Evolved the others are unable to?
Already known, courtesy of SA's leakers - there's nothing limiting the number of Pokémon in your party holding Mega Stones. but only one Mega Evolution can be active.

However: if a Mega Evolution is knocked out and the Pokémon sent out to replace it can Mega Evolve, is it permitted to Mega Evolve?

However: if a Mega Evolution is knocked out and the Pokémon sent out to replace it can Mega Evolve, is it permitted to Mega Evolve?
I can confirm that a second transformation is not possible after the first user of mega was ko'ed.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Once again, this topic is only for battle mechanics research suggestions, not breeding mechanics or other game mechanics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)