Pokemon BDSP Playthrough Discussion

Steel types available by Gen IV(ignoring legends, starters, etc): Magneton, Steelix, Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, Mawile, Aggron, Metagross, Bronzong, Bastiodon, Wormadam, Lucario, Probopass.

That is PLENTY to fully stock a gym. I get wanting some thematic options, they're supposed to be miners, but there's no reason for the entire gym pre-leader to be Onix and friends.

I wonder if they are going to be used in the GWS.

Though a little part of me wishes they extended DS mode so that it replaces the models with sprites.

I wonder if they are going to be used in the GWS.

Though a little part of me wishes they extended DS mode so that it replaces the models with sprites.
The sprites are meant for certificates for bringing in a Pokemon from the Gen 4 era ala ORAS & Gen 3.

The GWS I imagine will just display the models as ususal

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
got to Solaceon today and dude, Grand Underground is such a gamechanger for making teams. I've only got two badges and using the Underground I was able to get a Croagunk two badges before it's natural capture spot in the Great Marsh, and I could've used it for my Murkrow as well. (probably should have considering egg move mons are super common so I could've gotten Brave Bird, my Croagunk has Vacuum Wave lmao)

Am a bit mixed on the level scaling though, it's nice so you don't have to grind them up but I also kinda... miss having to grind up new members to catch up to your party. Also being near 30 for my entire team before Maylene feels wrong but it happens with the EXP Share, alas...

team currently is Grotle/Murkrow/Aipom/Shellos/Croagunk, last member will be in 2 badges once I get access to Celestic Town (Snorunt).

Why is it that when me and my friend both type in the same code we get both put in a different "lobby" in the underground? Even when going down from the exact same city. Why aren't we put together? We're entering the same code after all...

Why is it that when me and my friend both type in the same code we get both put in a different "lobby" in the underground? Even when going down from the exact same city. Why aren't we put together? We're entering the same code after all...
Are you putting them in at the same time? iirc from similar things that happened you need to generate the code and then give it a minute before the other person joins otherwise it makes two instances of it or something.

Today is Christmas aka the day struggling college students like me finally are able to get the newest Pokemon game, this year being BDSP. I got the double pack and played up to the first rival fight on both versions. Might because I play mostly handheld (bully me all you want) but I found the game to run... somewhat slowly? Especially in the early segments pre Running Shoes good GOD that was a struggle rolfamo

My teams so far:

BD
  • Chimchar (Goku; Bold nature)
  • Budew (Petunia; Modest nature)
SP
  • Turtwig (Atlas; Careful nature)
  • Starly (Hawks; Bold nature)
  • Shinx (Ibuki; Brave nature)
as you can see my luck with natures is either the best (Budew and Shinx) or the worst (Chimchar and Starly)

I remembered I never caught the roamers so I'm going through that nonsense now.

I just Master Balled the Cresselia. Mesprit, meanwhile, is Paralyzed and at like...20%-ish health. Which for me is "good enough" for throwing quick balls (beausse lord knows i'm not bothering raising a wobbuffet), so here's a Fun Fact that will help other hunters: you can save when its on your route and restart the game. In DPPT this wouldn't save the position, but here it does. And while the reset sequence is annoying, it's probably better than going back & forth for several minutes hoping it lands on your route again.

incidentally I've managed to get the Marsh & Swarm list down to Exeggcute/Gulpin and Stantler/Slakoth/Spinda respectively. I'm waiting to see what happens first: I finish these 5 out or GWS is added to the game.

incidentally I've managed to get the Marsh & Swarm list down to Exeggcute/Gulpin and Stantler/Slakoth/Spinda respectively. I'm waiting to see what happens first: I finish these 5 out or GWS is added to the game.
Stantler isn't a swarm encounter, it's a Pokeradar encounter exclusive to Shining Pearl on route 207

Reactions: R_N
I got Brilliant Diamond recently and overall I've been having fun with the classic experience, taking my time and rotating in different mons. I haven't personally played DP very far in so it's been interesting. So far I have reached Hearthome, my Prinplup that's mostly been absorbing all the passive EXP is Level 26 while the rest of my mons are around 20. Gardenia hit my underleveled resists pretty hard even through Kricketune's Struggle Bug from the start. I've noticed the overworld movement really halts your momentum when you hit obstacles (but not NPCs), but otherwise it feels smoother than the dpad.

Apparently watering berries only initiates the growing process according to anecdotes from this thread and the yields may be random. I guess this is why mulch didn't return. I'm not sure if the times where you water and multiple patches appear to be watered is a visual bug or not either.

EDIT: Prinplup had maximum happiness enough for the best friend ribbon and crit messages apparently. I don't mind it but it felt pretty quick, though I have walked around a lot. Most of my other main mons had started getting the messages before this too.

Last edited:
Are you putting them in at the same time? iirc from similar things that happened you need to generate the code and then give it a minute before the other person joins otherwise it makes two instances of it or something.
This is probably it, thanks.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but has anyone else noticed Pokemon in the underground moving/acting more erratically than before? Maybe I just missed it before, but in both handheld and docked mode they seem to circle around and around somewhat frequently

Edit: Around and around without actually running into me

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but has anyone else noticed Pokemon in the underground moving/acting more erratically than before? Maybe I just missed it before, but in both handheld and docked mode they seem to circle around and around somewhat frequently

Edit: Around and around without actually running into me
I definitely noticed. It's like their turning range became a lot smaller, causing them to run in circles instead of actually going straight to their target.

Hey kids, you ever wanted to experience what true murderous hell is like? Play Shining Pearl, get to Palkia with an underleveled team (below his lv. 47), don't use the Master Ball, and watch as your sanity slowly begins to ebb away from you. As if Aqua Ring on a legendary with Pressure wasn't annoying enough, for some ungodly reason the gen 8 capture mechanics which GF was nice enough to not have apply to the SWSH legendaries is for some godforsaken reason at work here, turning Palkia into a nigh impossible to capture nightmare unless the stars allign. I don't wanna use the Master Ball, because I know there are roaming legendaries that I need this thing for... but fucking hell this is the dumbest, most tedious and infuriating thing I've ever had to deal with in a Pokemon game, and I already grinded for a Spiritomb in the Grand Underground first chance I could.

Hey kids, you ever wanted to experience what true murderous hell is like? Play Shining Pearl, get to Palkia with an underleveled team (below his lv. 47), don't use the Master Ball, and watch as your sanity slowly begins to ebb away from you. As if Aqua Ring on a legendary with Pressure wasn't annoying enough, for some ungodly reason the gen 8 capture mechanics which GF was nice enough to not have apply to the SWSH legendaries is for some godforsaken reason at work here, turning Palkia into a nigh impossible to capture nightmare unless the stars allign. I don't wanna use the Master Ball, because I know there are roaming legendaries that I need this thing for... but fucking hell this is the dumbest, most tedious and infuriating thing I've ever had to deal with in a Pokemon game, and I already grinded for a Spiritomb in the Grand Underground first chance I could.
The capture mechanics are, I think, only applied to the underground.

Dialga & Palkia just has a catch rate of 3 because that got changed at some point and did not change back. I had overleveled pokemon and DIalga still took the better part of, god, like 30 minutes? Maybe more? To catch.

The capture mechanics are, I think, only applied to the underground.

Dialga & Palkia just has a catch rate of 3 because that got changed at some point and did not change back. I had overleveled pokemon and DIalga still took the better part of, god, like 30 minutes? Maybe more? To catch.
I can attest that the capture mechanics, especially the low level penalty, apply even outside the underground.

And here is the proof.

According to Merrit in the Orange Islands Discord server, a magikarp below lv. 10 can be captured 100% of the time with a Great Ball if there is no penalty at work. I went and grabbed a Sneasel baby I had bred for a friend of mine, and went to check to see if I could guarantee a cap on a lv. 10 or below Magikarp...What I failed to record was the first failed ball, but yes, the low level penalty is at work here, and an 82% penalty ontop of a catch rate of 3 makes my thirty runs at Palkia, where the number of triple shakes can be counted on ONE hand... Yeah, this is bull.

Last edited:
I decided to capture both Dialga and Palkia with regular Pokeballs.
I can confirm that trying to keep Palkia inside took way longer than Dialga.
(I also forgot to bring something with Thunder Wave or another useful status effect, so that added to the frustration!)
2021112301594300-7DCC42E2AF4C1BBE54BB71700F7161B6.jpg2021113023575400-7F4AACC644EAC4BF4E5897B413FFD611.jpg

Hi all, kinda new here (lurked for a while many years ago). Just got Brilliant Diamond and am trying to figure out IV breeding. It's my first time ever IV breeding. Spent the last week scouring youtube and the internet on the basics, and I think I have it somewhat down. I am struggling with the following (mods, please move this if this is not in the appropriate thread - I didn't know where to post this):

I'm using the Bidoof method. I am trying to get a competitive Garchomp, Blaziken and Tyranitar for now. My best Bidoofs are as follows:

Male - Holds D Knot:
HP - 11-20
Attack - 30
Defense - 11-20
Sp. Atk - 31
Sp. Def - 21-29
Speed - 31

Female - Holds Everstone (Adamant Nature):
HP - 11-20
Attack - 21-29
Defense - 11-20
Sp. Atk - 31
Sp. Def - 21-29
Speed - 31

I am stuck on what I need to do next. These two combos are the best I have been able to breed for a couple days now. Should I be using the PokeRadar to look for a female or male with a 31 in attack? Not sure if I keep breeding these two or if I need to catch another bidoof with a 31 in the missing stat(s). I guess I would be happy with 31 in attack.. not sure how important defense, sp def, and hp at 31 are (obviously I'd love to have 31 in all, but I am trying to figure out the effort with getting a perfect mon). Not to mention that this is only Bidoof.. need to do this with Torchic, Nidoran, etc. etc.

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Hi all, kinda new here (lurked for a while many years ago). Just got Brilliant Diamond and am trying to figure out IV breeding. It's my first time ever IV breeding. Spent the last week scouring youtube and the internet on the basics, and I think I have it somewhat down. I am struggling with the following (mods, please move this if this is not in the appropriate thread - I didn't know where to post this):

I'm using the Bidoof method. I am trying to get a competitive Garchomp, Blaziken and Tyranitar for now. My best Bidoofs are as follows:

Male - Holds D Knot:
HP - 11-20
Attack - 30
Defense - 11-20
Sp. Atk - 31
Sp. Def - 21-29
Speed - 31

Female - Holds Everstone (Adamant Nature):
HP - 11-20
Attack - 21-29
Defense - 11-20
Sp. Atk - 31
Sp. Def - 21-29
Speed - 31

I am stuck on what I need to do next. These two combos are the best I have been able to breed for a couple days now. Should I be using the PokeRadar to look for a female or male with a 31 in attack? Not sure if I keep breeding these two or if I need to catch another bidoof with a 31 in the missing stat(s). I guess I would be happy with 31 in attack.. not sure how important defense, sp def, and hp at 31 are (obviously I'd love to have 31 in all, but I am trying to figure out the effort with getting a perfect mon). Not to mention that this is only Bidoof.. need to do this with Torchic, Nidoran, etc. etc.

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
I have no idea what the Bidoof method is but if you join certain Discords and just paste a Pokémon name into the chat a bot will contact you with a trade code send over what you request. You can even request specific EVs and moves. These Pokémon are considered legit by Nintendo and all hack checks as well.

Don't waste hundreds of hours breeding when there are faster alternatives! If nothing else use the discord bot to spawn a bunch of perfect Dittos. It will help immensely.

I have no idea what the Bidoof method is but if you join certain Discords and just paste a Pokémon name into the chat a bot will contact you with a trade code send over what you request. You can even request specific EVs and moves. These Pokémon are considered legit by Nintendo and all hack checks as well.

Don't waste hundreds of hours breeding when there are faster alternatives! If nothing else use the discord bot to spawn a bunch of perfect Dittos. It will help immensely.
Very interesting! Do you happen to know of one/can you link me?

Speaking with the experience of a former Wi-Fi section mod and mod of the defunct hack checking website Pokecheck here.

While I'm also not big on breeding in BDSP, any bot that is generating a Pokemon is absolutely generating it through illegitimate means. They aren't legitimate. They may be legal hacks that pass the bare minimum of what the games set to actually let you use them online, but they don't fit the traditional community definition of legitimate. We don't give that sort of stuff that generates Pokemon out of thin air attention here on smogon.

Ultimately, I personally feel that legal hacks are pretty harmless for in game stuff and fights between friends as long as you're transparent about them being hacked. You can take that sort of option if you really want to, but be sure not to obfuscate them as legitimate. I'd hate for someone going to a VGC event to show up with a bad hack that passes the bare bones wifi trading check but not the slightest bit of examination you get IRL and have them DQed on the spot.
Hi! I think I might be able to help you a bit. If I'm totally honest, I have never heard of this "bidoof method", but from what I can gather, you've been pokeradar chaining pokemon to find some Pokemon with higher IVs. You've got two there, but you'll need the rest of them too from other pokemon.

The basic loop you should be after with breeding looks something like this:

-Male you have somewhere has IVs x/x/31/x/x/x (x is any IV)
-Female in the same egg group has IVs of x/x/x/31/x/31
-Put them in the daycare together with a destiny knot
-Keep hatching eggs until one of the off spring has IVs of x/x/31/31/x/31 (a roughly 1 in 8 chance)
-If you hatch a Pokemon that has better IVs than the male, so x/x/31/31/x/x or x/x/31/x/x/31, replace the old male for the new on so your odds go up
-repeat until you have everything you need!

Bidoof is a fine enough place to start since you've already made good progress there, but I might also consider Magikarp as an option for some of your future breeds. Not only is gyarados phenominal everywhere in competitive BDSP, but it hatches faster than any other Pokemon. If you're going to breed that Garchomp, I would highly recommend getting a 31/31/31/x/31/31 male gyarados as a parent so you have to hatch as few Gibles and their long egg cycle as possible.

Here's the smogon breeding guide for some more in depth info if you need it.

You might also want to consider asking for help in smogon's wifi section, particularly the simple requests thread. There are a lot of people there who've already bred some stuff with perfect IVs that can lend you a hand and pass down an offspring already ready to be trained or one with very high IVs that might need one or two more to be good to go.

Also, don't trust anyone trying to give you a flawless ditto before bank drops. It's hacked. It's beyond hard to get one in BDSP.

One thing to also consider is, if you just want to stick with those three and that's it, you could also try and ask someone for some gold bottle caps, raise those Pokemon to level 100, and perfect their IVs through that.

Or hell, honestly? If you're just doing stuff like the battle tower, you don't even really need to gun for perfect IVs. I got past the 49 battles in the doubles line to unlock super singles and super doubles using my in game gyarados and garchomp with some ranamas park Pokemon. You'll be at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's still all very workable.

Last edited:
Speaking with the experience of a former Wi-Fi section mod and mod of the defunct hack checking website Pokecheck here.

While I'm also not big on breeding in BDSP, any bot that is generating a Pokemon is absolutely generating it through illegitimate means. They aren't legitimate. They may be legal hacks that pass the bare minimum of what the games set to actually let you use them online, but they don't fit the traditional community definition of legitimate. We don't give that sort of stuff that generates Pokemon out of thin air attention here on smogon.

Ultimately, I personally feel that legal hacks are pretty harmless for in game stuff and fights between friends as long as you're transparent about them being hacked. You can take that sort of option if you really want to, but be sure not to obfuscate them as legitimate. I'd hate for someone going to a VGC event to show up with a bad hack that passes the bare bones wifi trading check but not the slightest bit of examination you get IRL and have them DQed on the spot.

Hi! I think I might be able to help you a bit. If I'm totally honest, I have never heard of this "bidoof method", but from what I can gather, you've been pokeradar chaining pokemon to find some Pokemon with higher IVs. You've got two there, but you'll need the rest of them too from other pokemon.

The basic loop you should be after with breeding looks something like this:

-Male you have somewhere has IVs x/x/31/x/x/x (x is any IV)
-Female in the same egg group has IVs of x/x/x/31/x/31
-Put them in the daycare together with a destiny knot
-Keep hatching eggs until one of the off spring has IVs of x/x/31/31/x/31 (a roughly 1 in 8 chance)
-If you hatch a Pokemon that has better IVs than the male, so x/x/31/31/x/x or x/x/31/x/x/31, replace the old male for the new on so your odds go up
-repeat until you have everything you need!

Bidoof is a fine enough place to start since you've already made good progress there, but I might also consider Magikarp as an option for some of your future breeds. Not only is gyarados phenominal everywhere in competitive BDSP, but it hatches faster than any other Pokemon. If you're going to breed that Garchomp, I would highly recommend getting a 31/31/31/x/31/31 male gyarados as a parent so you have to hatch as few Gibles and their long egg cycle as possible.

Here's the smogon breeding guide for some more in depth info if you need it.

You might also want to consider asking for help in smogon's wifi section, particularly the simple requests thread. There are a lot of people there who've already bred some stuff with perfect IVs that can lend you a hand and pass down an offspring already ready to be trained or one with very high IVs that might need one or two more to be good to go.

Also, don't trust anyone trying to give you a flawless ditto before bank drops. It's hacked. It's beyond hard to get one in BDSP.

One thing to also consider is, if you just want to stick with those three and that's it, you could also try and ask someone for some gold bottle caps, raise those Pokemon to level 100, and perfect their IVs through that.

Or hell, honestly? If you're just doing stuff like the battle tower, you don't even really need to gun for perfect IVs. I got past the 49 battles in the doubles line to unlock super singles and super doubles using my in game gyarados and garchomp with some ranamas park Pokemon. You'll be at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's still all very workable.
Thank you so much for the in depth response! I think it all makes sense now. I was able to get a Torchic with 4 perfect IVs (just missing SP atk and Defense). I think I am going to keep it tbh.. no need for defense for what I am trying to achieve. That breeding guide you linked is super helpful, so thank you again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)