Pokemon Concept Discussion: Lures.

I remember it too. It even had the same example Tyranitar.

Anyways, the best lure in my opinion is McGar. Gengar attracts Blissey, Weavile and Tyranitar like a magnet. Without sacrificing much versatility, Gengar can beat all three of them easily and pave the way for other special sweepers like Alakazam, Azelf or Agility Porygon-Z.

It's so easy to come in on a pokemon you can scare off, such as a slow Psychic type or Gyarados, and Substitute on the switch. Depending on what they sent in, you can Focus Punch it straight up (Ttar, Weavile) or Hypnosis it (Metagross, Blissey). A Gengar hiding behind a substitute without Sleep Clause activated pretty much guarentees a couple of KOs.

I remember this thread Aldaron!

Lures are the best strategy in winning competitive battles on a set-up team. Very effective, yet not so simple. My two cents on it are really what you have explained already. When you want pokemon A to sweep, use pokemon B to open it up by finishing the counter and they should have the same counters. I'll give a couple more examples and try to help your example.

Sweeper:

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Modest
EVs: 44 HP / 216 Spe / 248 SpA
*Surf
*Ice Beam
*Substitute
*Agility

Very good lategame sweeping pokemon because of its enormous power on those Surfs.

So what walls this? Well it can't touch water pokemon, and it will need 2 layers of Toxic Spikes in order to beat a Blissey that switches in on the first substitute. But eliminating Blissey altogether helps a lot.

So in coming up with a lure, I need a pokemon that beat waters and Blissey but also lure them out. Here is the lure I used:

Lure:

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
*Flamethrower
*Earth Power
*Hidden Power [Grass]
*Explosion

Now Heatran is the #1 lure of bulky water pokemon in the game, and this set allows it to beat all of them. Blissey also likes to switch into Heatran and will let you explode on her.

So I go to a second example. Let's select our sweeper pokemon:

Sweeper:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Spe / 80 SpA
*Psychic
*Thunderbolt
*Substitute
*Calm Mind

So Jirachi is another fantastic lategame pokemon that can sweep easily when its counters are gone. So lets take a look at what stops this:

Garchomp, Tyranitar, Heatran, and Magnezone can force Jirachi to take a ton of damage before beating it, these are some very common switch-ins to this particular Jirachi. So what lures in and stops most of these threats?

Lure:

Yanmega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: whatever
*Bug Buzz
*Hypnosis
*Hidden Power [Ground]
*Air Slash / Protect

So Yanmega as a lead is able to defeat most leads and does an excellent job at luring out and destroying enemy Heatran and Magnezone. It can put Tyranitar to sleep and dispatch it and has no trouble steamrolling garchomp for a 2HKO.

So now I will give one last example for everyone to think about, the old double dragon combination:

Sweeper: Garchomp

Garchomp @ Yache Berry / Life Orb / Salac Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
*Earthquake
*Dragon Claw
*Fire Fang / Substitute
*Swords Dance

Typical bread and butter chomp. Everyone knows how cheap it is.

So the best lure for a physical dragon sweeper is... another physical dragon sweeper! Here is a recent Dragonite set I have been testing as a change of pace.

Lure:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 60 Atk / 228 Spe / 220 Sp Atk
*Draco Meteor
*Outrage
*Fire Blast
*Agility / Thunderbolt

This is an excellent mixed Dragonite to defeat typical Dragon counters. Draco Meteor will hammer switch-ins, and does a minimum 86% to Gliscor switch ins with Draco Meteor. It also does a minimum 87% to Skarmory with Thunderbolt, and 50% to Vaporeon. In fact, this combination of moves will dispatch most walls in the game with relative ease, paving the way for Garchomp to come in and wreak havoc.

Two physical dragons is so successful that virtually every set combo you use will work to some degree. You can easily use a Dragon Dancing Dragonite and a Choice Band Garchomp to a good degree of success as well.

So for Aldaron's set:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
*Close Combat
*Extremespeed
*Crunch
*Swords Dance

One of the best lures I can think of at the moment is to go with the ol' one-two-punch and to use another fighter:

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
*Facade
*Close Combat
*Megahorn / Night Slash
*Swords Dance

Ol' Orbcross takes Gliscor down with him, and dispatches of Salamences, Zapdos, and Gyarados as well (use Jolly for mence).

Heracross @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
*Substitute
*Swords Dance
*Close Combat / Stone Edge
*Megahorn

Quite a lethal set. It will beat Ice Fang Gliscor every time as a +6 Swarmed Megahorn sends Gliscor flying to the next universe for an easy OHKO. Stone Edge can help take down fliers earlier, but even a +2 Swarmed Megahorn will leave them limping or hanging on by a sliver. The Salac Berry will get it past most Choice Scarfed Heatran's and stuff that stands in your way.

One more thing to mention Aldaron, Calm Mind Jirachi always beats SD Lucario also, so you may want to mention that in the OP.

One more thing to mention Aldaron, Calm Mind Jirachi always beats SD Lucario also, so you may want to mention that in the OP.
Not to mention CM Jirachi beats Flame Orb Heracross simply by outspeeding it (I'm basing this fact off of the Jirachi you posted). So I guess the Salac Berry Heracross can MAYBE lure it in and set up a Sub and Sub to Salac and activate Swarm. I guess that can work or at least weaken it for something else to take it out.

I like using tyraniboah with ice beam/thunderbolt/focus punch/sub to lure in gliscor and kill it and then sweep with Lucario/Heracross. Also One of my most succesful DP teams had garchomp and dragonite, most of the time garchomp was the lure, who either destroyed or damaged the counter, and then I had dragonite dd up and sweep, both yache of course :P

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lee said:
Metagross @ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Leftovers
EVs: 118HP / 176 Atk / 212 SpA
Nature: Quiet (-Spe, + SpA)
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion/Psychic

EVs give 330 HP/350 Atk/308 SpA. Not a great deal of thought into them...212 SpA gives a bonus point, 176 Atk because I like round numbers and it gives him a good chance of 2HKOing max/max Bold Spiritomb. The rest in HP to soften the blow from Gliscor's Earthquakes.

1. Gliscor (fast or not)

Always happy to switch into Metagross, deals around 50% with Earthquake and is OHKO'd in return with HP Ice, provided Life Orb or Expert Belt are used (Expert Belt HP Ice 70 vs 252/0 Gliscor =113.28% - 133.33%)

2. Hippowdon (max HP / max def impish)

One of the best Metagross counters, Hippo is potentially OHKO'd by LO GK (Life Orb Grass Knot vs 252/0 Hippowdon = 91.19% - 107.38%)

3. Spiritomb (will-o-wisp + HP Fighting)

Metagross has a good chance of 2HKOing with LO Meteor Mash with SR. (LO Meteor Mash vs 252/252 Bold Spiritomb = 47.37% - 55.92%)

4. Bulky Gyarados / Zapdos / Salamence / Moltres

Requires an Explosion, I'm afraid. LO/EB HP Ice downs 252 HP/ 0 SpD Salamence (96.70% - 113.96%)

5. Weird really bulky versions of Heracross

Do these actually exist?

6. Weezing / really defensive Muk / Nidoqueen

Explosion downs them...these are the reasons Psychic was mentioned as an option as it OHKO's Weezing and 'Queen, whilst 2HKOing Muk.

Anyway, I think this Metagross is limited by his low speed and Earthquake weakness, similar to the MixTar listed by the OP. However, unlike Tyranitar, Metagross can't rely on Ice Beam and needs to use the weaker Hidden Power Ice forcing him to throw more EV's into SpA at the expense of speed/durability. He also has no way of dealing with Skarmory, Bronzong and Forry who are all popular switch ins to Metagross...so yeah, not great overall. This is harder than it looks. :)

But really, Pokemon that lures in counter + Explosion can make for a fantastic one-off lure, and it can still serve multiple purposes eg. Metagross with Agility/MM/EQ/Explosion.
First of all, thanks for the diligent effort and the adherence to topic. I do agree that creating a lure is tough, which is probably why you mostly see "cookie-cutter" offensive teams on Shoddy that either throw 6 sweepers together for good but not great results or copy someone else's team without knowing the details of the lures or feints or general methods to deal with X threat.

One thing I do have to point out is that while it would be ideal for a lure to deal with all the common threats, this is probably unrealistic. If I have to look at Metagross, I see that it would probably fall underneath the same category as Tyranitar in terms of "type of lure," in that it has the same weakness that it draws in and tries to beat generally the same Pokemon. I however disagree with your sentiments (I'm assuming a bit here) that Tyranitar might be a better lure than Metagross due to access to Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Fire Blast.

That is precisely the reason that Tyranitar might not be the most ideal of lures! People know that Tyranitar do occasionally run that, so I have to run an additional feint in terms of Expert Belt, to give the facade of Choice.

I actually really like the idea of Metagross as a lure for Lucario, as people certainly will switch Gliscor / Hippowdon / Suicune / Gyarados / Skarmory / Forretress into Metagross with MUCH more comfort than Tyranitar.

I'm however going to go with the Agility + Explosion theory, this helps deal with the majority of Lucario's threats that would switch into Metagross.

Metagross @ Life Orb
~Agility
~Earthquake / Pursuit
~Explosion
~Meteor Mash / ThunderPunch
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

This is actually an awesome lure. Agility + Explosion takes care of Gliscor / Hippowdon / Suicune, Earthquake takes care of any bold Steel Pokemon (ScarfHeatran anyone?) that might assume Choice and switch in expecting to resist Meteor Mash, and Meteor Mash helps KO Gengar / Aerodactyl.

The moveset is a little hazy though and I don't know what I would prefer. I think ThunderPunch is pretty much always the inferior choice for the fourth slot, as I can deal with Skarmory in other ways and Gyarados / Suicune can just be exploded on.

The Earthquake / Pursuit is interesting though. Pursuit will help me take of Gengar everytime, effectively removing a huge issue. Earthquake is the move (when paired with Agility) that helps Metagross overcome Choice Scarf Heatran. Both are significant issues to Luke. I'm actually considering trying out Pursuit over Earthquake because I find Gengar switching out of Metagross to be much more common than Heatran staying in, especially on an AgilityGross.

Skiddle said:
I remember it too. It even had the same example Tyranitar.

Anyways, the best lure in my opinion is McGar. Gengar attracts Blissey, Weavile and Tyranitar like a magnet. Without sacrificing much versatility, Gengar can beat all three of them easily and pave the way for other special sweepers like Alakazam, Azelf or Agility Porygon-Z.

It's so easy to come in on a pokemon you can scare off, such as a slow Psychic type or Gyarados, and Substitute on the switch. Depending on what they sent in, you can Focus Punch it straight up (Ttar, Weavile) or Hypnosis it (Metagross, Blissey). A Gengar hiding behind a substitute without Sleep Clause activated pretty much guarentees a couple of KOs.
You remember it because I made this topic a few months back and decided to delete it at that time for my own reasons. It had a different example Tyranitar, however.

Anyway, is it actually this hard for you guys to stay on topic? Since when was current discussion ever about arbitrary lures for arbitrary sweepers? I explicitly state in the OP that I want to discuss Lucario and lures for Lucario.

Try and stay on topic next time.

RaikouLover said:
I remember this thread Aldaron!

Lures are the best strategy in winning competitive battles on a set-up team. Very effective, yet not so simple. My two cents on it are really what you have explained already. When you want pokemon A to sweep, use pokemon B to open it up by finishing the counter and they should have the same counters. I'll give a couple more examples and try to help your example.
Well, since you do eventually get back on topic, I guess I'll humor these lol.

Sweeper:

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 44 HP / 216 Spe / 248 SpA
*Surf
*Ice Beam
*Substitute
*Agility

Very good lategame sweeping pokemon because of its enormous power on those Surfs.

So what walls this? Well it can't touch water pokemon, and it will need 2 layers of Toxic Spikes in order to beat a Blissey that switches in on the first substitute. But eliminating Blissey altogether helps a lot.

So in coming up with a lure, I need a pokemon that beat waters and Blissey but also lure them out. Here is the lure I used:

Lure:

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
*Flamethrower
*Earth Power
*Hidden Power [Grass]
*Explosion

Now Heatran is the #1 lure of bulky water pokemon in the game, and this set allows it to beat all of them. Blissey also likes to switch into Heatran and will let you explode on her.
Yea, if I had to to theorymon a lure for this Empoleon off the top of my head, Explosion Heatran and Explosion / Focus Punch Gengar would be the initial two things that I would try, along with Explosion Metagross because it lures out the Waters so easily.

So I go to a second example. Let's select our sweeper pokemon:

Sweeper:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Spe / 80 SpA
*Psychic
*Thunderbolt
*Substitute
*Calm Mind

So Jirachi is another fantastic lategame pokemon that can sweep easily when its counters are gone. So lets take a look at what stops this:

Garchomp, Tyranitar, Heatran, and Magnezone can force Jirachi to take a ton of damage before beating it, these are some very common switch-ins to this particular Jirachi. So what lures in and stops most of these threats?

Lure:

Yanmega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: whatever
*Bug Buzz
*Hypnosis
*Hidden Power [Ground]
*Air Slash / Protect

So Yanmega as a lead is able to defeat most leads and does an excellent job at luring out and destroying enemy Heatran and Magnezone. It can put Tyranitar to sleep and dispatch it and has no trouble steamrolling garchomp for a 2HKO.
I actually have to disagree here. I don't know about the average player, but I don't know many good players that would consistently switch in Tyranitar / Heatran / Magnezone into Yanmega. In fact, this is especially so on the Suspect Ladder, since Yanmega runs HP Ground much more often.

Thinking about this really quickly, I'm having difficulty thinking of things that could lure Tar / Tran / Zone in (ignoring Chomp for now). My best bet would be a special attacker (since Tar / Tran have high Special Defense) whose main attack are resisted by Zone.

The best I can come up with is actually kind of interesting to me. I usually don't like using Dugtrio in these types of discussions as I think it is a cop out, but I think it is especially interesting here.

Zapdos easily lures out all three of them. A Zapdos can easily switch in, U-turn when Tar / Tran / Zone switch in, and switch to Dugtrio. In my mind, I'm actually thinking the only problem this would have would be decided Band or Scarf on Dugtrio, since it needs Band to OHKO 252 HP / 0 Def Tar with Stealth Rock, and it needs Scarf to ensure ScarfHeatran don't beat it with Fire Blast / Overheat.

So now I will give one last example for everyone to think about, the old double dragon combination:

Sweeper: Garchomp

Garchomp @ Yache Berry / Life Orb / Salac Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
*Earthquake
*Dragon Claw
*Fire Fang / Substitute
*Swords Dance

Typical bread and butter chomp. Everyone knows how cheap it is.

So the best lure for a physical dragon sweeper is... another physical dragon sweeper! Here is a recent Dragonite set I have been testing as a change of pace.

Lure:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 60 Atk / 228 Spe / 220 Sp Atk
*Draco Meteor
*Outrage
*Fire Blast
*Agility / Thunderbolt

This is an excellent mixed Dragonite to defeat typical Dragon counters. Draco Meteor will hammer switch-ins, and does a minimum 86% to Gliscor switch ins with Draco Meteor. It also does a minimum 87% to Skarmory with Thunderbolt, and 50% to Vaporeon. In fact, this combination of moves will dispatch most walls in the game with relative ease, paving the way for Garchomp to come in and wreak havoc.

Two physical dragons is so successful that virtually every set combo you use will work to some degree. You can easily use a Dragon Dancing Dragonite and a Choice Band Garchomp to a good degree of success as well.
No comment here lol. This is a well known strategy and works for a plethora of reasons.

So for Aldaron's set:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
*Close Combat
*Extremespeed
*Crunch
*Swords Dance

One of the best lures I can think of at the moment is to go with the ol' one-two-punch and to use another fighter:

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
*Facade
*Close Combat
*Megahorn / Night Slash
*Swords Dance

Ol' Orbcross takes Gliscor down with him, and dispatches of Salamences, Zapdos, and Gyarados as well (use Jolly for mence).

Heracross @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
*Substitute
*Swords Dance
*Close Combat / Stone Edge
*Megahorn

Quite a lethal set. It will beat Ice Fang Gliscor every time as a +6 Swarmed Megahorn sends Gliscor flying to the next universe for an easy OHKO. Stone Edge can help take down fliers earlier, but even a +2 Swarmed Megahorn will leave them limping or hanging on by a sliver. The Salac Berry will get it past most Choice Scarfed Heatran's and stuff that stands in your way.
Same concept as Double Dragon, though I do have one concern. I fear that both of these tend to overcentralize Heracross's purpose a bit too much. I mean, I have never used either CONSISTENTLY and both have looked interesting to me in the past, but I cannot imagine either Heracross set having too much use outside of its luring purpose.

Why not just use a Choice Band Heracross, and switch to something that deals with the normal switchins, something that would prevent them from healing right away so that Lucario can sweep more easily at the end anyway?

Of course, you could respond then in saying that anything can do that, so why use lures? I guess my main concern is really the overcentralization of Heracross. I can see stuff like Agility + Explosion Metagross, MixTar with Expert Belt or Life Orb Offensive Suicune having uses outside of their immediate lure roles. However, Flame Orb Heracross (and I used to be a supporter of it but after seeing some people use it against me..."meh") and Substitute Swords Dance Heracross (actually pretty effective in Ubers btw) both seem to be extremely hit or miss. I see how both play the role of lure perfectly, but I'm thinking this might be a case of overcentralized purpose.

Yea, good call, I'll add that in.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dugtrio needs decidedly less attack to OHKO Tyranitar when it switches in if you're hitting it with a SE U-Turn which should do maybe about 20%. Just something to remember.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you want Heracross to clear the way for a Lucario sweep then just give it Toxic...it isn't like steels and poison types and Bliss/Starmie/Shaymin routinely switch into Heracross anyway. You're pretty much guaranteed to poison something that doesn't want it.

Toxic isn't helping Lucario much. The things that "counter" it slap it back to its pokeball too quick for toxic to be of any use.

Toxic isn't helping Lucario much. The things that "counter" it slap it back to its pokeball too quick for toxic to be of any use.
I think TAY was talking about giving Heracross Toxic, not Lucario. Heracross can posion his counters like Salamence, Gyarados, Gliscor and the odd Dusknoir, effectively crippling the latter two and damaging the other two, especially if Stealth Rock is up.

PS this thread is awesome; I needed some thoughts on how to make a good offensive team right now, and then all these ideas are right here for me. I can't think of a good example right now, but when I do, I'll post/edit later.

I know that. But having Heracross poison Gliscor doesn't help Lucario get past it.... because it still can switch in and OHKO with EQ every time

Well, toxic prevents it from staying to to long, although it probably won't anyway. With stealth rocks out, Heracross is going to hurt more after repeated switches since it lacks the roost and leftovers that Gliscor has. In some ways, it might even be better to have Lucario open the hole itself, perhaps with HP ice on a pseudo swords dance set. If toxic spikes were more common, facade CB heracross might have more of a shot.

Very good thread, it's not something that's touched on too often. Lures are pretty hard to design. They can prevent switch wars. When planned carefully they open a hole for the sweeper. I don't think Gliscor switching into Tyranitar is a good example, but it covers the main gist well. It's also not limited to a single Pokemon. Trappers have a role to. For instance, Deoxys-S has trouble with Pokemon like Bronzing and Metagross (barring fire punch or HP fire of course) Magnezone shuts down most versions of the two and can somewhat effectively get rid of them. Using a Pokemon that's threatened by or set up fodder for Metagross/Bronzong/Scizor, can draw it out, setting you up for a trap and eventually paving the way for your sweeper(s). Obviously, Dugtrio and Pursuit users do the same thing, more or less. In the same way, defensive teams must prioritize overlaps in typing and counters.

Metagross @ Life Orb
~Agility
~Earthquake / Pursuit
~Explosion
~Meteor Mash / ThunderPunch
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

This is actually an awesome lure. Agility + Explosion takes care of Gliscor / Hippowdon / Suicune, Earthquake takes care of any bold Steel Pokemon (ScarfHeatran anyone?) that might assume Choice and switch in expecting to resist Meteor Mash, and Meteor Mash helps KO Gengar / Aerodactyl.

The moveset is a little hazy though and I don't know what I would prefer. I think ThunderPunch is pretty much always the inferior choice for the fourth slot, as I can deal with Skarmory in other ways and Gyarados / Suicune can just be exploded on.

The Earthquake / Pursuit is interesting though. Pursuit will help me take of Gengar everytime, effectively removing a huge issue. Earthquake is the move (when paired with Agility) that helps Metagross overcome Choice Scarf Heatran. Both are significant issues to Luke. I'm actually considering trying out Pursuit over Earthquake because I find Gengar switching out of Metagross to be much more common than Heatran staying in, especially on an AgilityGross.
If you want, the Pursuit/Earthquake issue can be easily resolved by just giving Lucario Bullet Punch over Extremespeed. Gengar doesn't like +2 LO STAB Bullet Punch at all. However, this opens you up to faster Pokemon who resist/aren't OHKO'd by Bullet Punch (not doing any calculations I think Azelf might become a counter then, along with Crobat and a few other things. I'm not sure if you really want to change the original set, but if I were to run Metagross along with Lucario I would definitely do EQ on Gross and Bullet Punch on Lucario.

Other than that, I would have to say the LO Suicune would be one of the best lures to use with Lucario and I think we'd be hard pressed to come up with a better one. But when you mention people beating Lucario with a priority move, wouldn't all the slower ones lose to ExtremeSpeed/Bullet Punch anyways? This applies to Hitmontop and Breloom mostly, since Infernape is faster and enemy Lucario would use Vaccuum Wave which kills faster than NFE attacks.

I love to use lures and to sweep with luke. The best pokemon i have used to lure pokemons that seem to stop lucario is ddmence with a surprise.
Salamence
Modest
252 SAtk/120 HP/136 SPd
DD
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Flamethrower/HP ice

The idea is to DD on a swith hoping people bring in a physical wall like gliscor, Bulky Mence, Gyarados, Zapdos, Swampert and staff but hit it with a HP(ice) or Draco Meteor. Also Earthquake helps against Scar Heatran, Metagross that will be outspeed thanks + 1 Spd. Also with the Speed boost you outspeed SDYacheChomp, and nonscarf gengar. The Item depends, I like Life orb to deal more damage but leftovers helps to deal with Stealth Rocks, and Bright Power help to evade a -2 SAtk on turn, and hit brozong that swith in after seeing Draco. Flamethrower also hit Scizor, and forretress.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That's an interesting Salamence set; I've had it used against me and I've seen its effectiveness. I'd run a different nature though. I'll play test it and post my version later.

Anyway I theorymoned this little sucker, and in (an admittedly small pool) a few battles, it has actually KOed a Gliscor, 2 Hippowdon, 2 Heatran, a Metagross and Gyarados ~_~

Jirachi @ Occa Berry
~Calm Mind
~Ice Wind
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Ground
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

I know I know...Ice Wind? HP Ground? Seems really centralized, no? Well, not exactly.

After one Calm Mind, Jirachi will always beat Heatran on the switch. Max Special Attack Choice Specs Overheat will only do 87% maximum with the Berry, and HP Ground will OHKO. For Special Defensive versions, they will be outsped and 2HKOed while doing a paltry 40% maximum.

Now since Jirachi has been running the HP Ice Grass Knot set recently, I found Gliscor and Hippowdon switching in much less often. However, both did on a few occasions, and Jirachi promptly OHKOed the Gliscor and 2HKOed the Hippowdon with Ice Wind.

A Gyarados even switched in one time; I assume it was a Choice Band Gyarados that was assuming a OHKO on my 80% Jirachi because switching Gyarados into Jirachi is a risky proposition, but regardless, the 299 Speed and Thunderbolt helped me OHKO it to oblivion.

Ice + Ground + Electric is only resisted by Shedinja, and Stealth Rock takes care of that (SR is probably a given assuming you are running SD Luke). Granted Ice Wind and HP Ground with 55 and 70 BP are much less appealing than Ice Beam and Earthquake at 95 and 100 BP, but it still did its job.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice Salamence and Jirachi lures =]; The Jirach (and Suicune) set also shows how it doesn't necessarily have to be a physical sweeper with similar typing to be a lure, which is an excellent point.

For Jirachi set, I wondered why it needs a Fire-resist berry when it is faster than Choice Specs Heatran and the Psychic monster wont be switching into Heatran's fire moves. But then I realized that Jirachi may not have a Calm Mind up when Heatran switches in (so HP Ground won't OHKO), and Jirachi indeed needs the berry to survive the fire onslaught despite the CM boost (otherwise, having a ground-resist berry seems infinitely more useful to 2HKO things with Icy Wind imo). HP Ground is certainly a nice touch, though, since it hurts Steels that are expecting a neutral hit.

Unlike the Suicune and Salamence lures, Jirachi adds another Fire / Ground weakness to the team. I mean, Ground is not really hard to deal with, and one still have enough slots for patching up defenses against powerful and versatile Fire Pokemon, but I think it's a common issue when using a secondary offense that is similar to the primary offense to lure out counters.

Sorry, I have no lures for SDLuke at the moment... wrote a whole bunch of nothing, but I personally struggle with compounding weaknesses whenever I sacrifice offensive coverage > defensive coverage, and I thought it was relevant to the thread talking about offense.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In some ways, it might even be better to have Lucario open the hole itself, perhaps with HP ice on a pseudo swords dance set.
HP Ice on SD Luke has become too common for its own good. Everyone expects it now and either uses a different Lucario counter, or gives their Gliscor enough speed to OHKO it before it can even attack.

If they use a different counter, hypothetically, it's better for Heracross overall. I proposed that Lucario itself could make a decent lure to K.O. Gliscor, and this would already be achieved if the team wasn't even running one (providing the sweeper was Heracross or shared Gliscor as a counter). As for speed, tweaking a SD Lucario set wouldn't be very hard. Most SD Lukes i've seen run Adamant. Jolly would force Gliscor to run a + speed nature and nearly max out it's speed. I doubt anyone would run that type of spread on physical a wall set. I'm not sure what your implying. My statement was refering to use of HP ice as or with a lure, not alone. :3

And actually, I think flameorb SD Heracross probably has the best shot, as long as it doesn't get outsped. I really like that Jirachi set Aldaron, as it handles a lot normal switch ins and becomes a late game threat with calm mind. Perhaps I'll try it sometime.

I like to lure EQ users(mainly Mamoswine/Gliscor/) with that poke

Scizor@ Leftovers

Metal Claw
Iron Defense
X-Scissor
Roost

It outspaces Mamo with a Iron Defense,while against Gliscor everyone thinks Scizor won't touch at all,when Iron Defense plus Metal Claw 10% chance of boosting attack and 64 PP means if they keep Gliscor in and doesn't have a fire attack in any of the pokes,it means large chances of victory

It's all about having a chance to eliminate the special attackers(Dugtrio?) to Scizor come and start outspacing the unexpected ones

love to use lures and to sweep with luke. The best pokemon i have used to lure pokemons that seem to stop lucario is ddmence with a surprise.
Salamence
Modest
252 SAtk/120 HP/136 SPd
DD
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Flamethrower/HP ice

The idea is to DD on a swith hoping people bring in a physical wall like gliscor, Bulky Mence, Gyarados, Zapdos, Swampert and staff but hit it with a HP(ice) or Draco Meteor. Also Earthquake helps against Scar Heatran, Metagross that will be outspeed thanks + 1 Spd. Also with the Speed boost you outspeed SDYacheChomp, and nonscarf gengar. The Item depends, I like Life orb to deal more damage but leftovers helps to deal with Stealth Rocks, and Bright Power help to evade a -2 SAtk on turn, and hit brozong that swith in after seeing Draco. Flamethrower also hit Scizor, and forretress.
I ran a similar set before, with Dragon Claw over Earthquake or Fire Blast, and used a Rash nature. The only problem I have with this set is that it is too specialized. The Dragon Dance may lure some physical walls and you can still destroy them with Draco Meteor but why not give it Dragon Claw so it can at least do something after its killed the counter? I would probably use it over Fire Blast, since Lucario beats Bronzong and Skarm anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)