Other Pokemon: Smogon OU Version 2 (Route Nine (After Ice Mountain))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bisharp is a must, though it would be horrendously underleveled and we might have to make it a Pawniard. For example, the most commonly used set in OU:

Bisharp/Pawniard @ BlackGlasses
Defiant
-Knock Off
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head / Low Kick
-Pursuit / Swords Dance

I was going to say Iron Head would be fairly important for a fairy check. I know I don't run Bisharp without it but then I thought, how many fairy types have we given out so far? Azumarill, obviously, and I know Cleffa was proposed at one point, but I don't know if it got through...

I mean iron head is still gonna be required as it is a reliable STAB of Bisharps and helps it pick off other things that aren't fairies (rock types, ice types) so it does still have its use.

Anyway since we will need to be ironing out the gym team and also what story this town will be doing I thought it be nice to also get some of what I think are required for his team.

Sableye and Bisharp are a given as Sable is an easy fighting absorber and practical annoyer that any dark team would use without thought. The only other mandatory dark type I can think of is Mandibuzz since TTar is still a ways off which leaves three slots.

While sure not a whole team I propose that at the least we have Sable bisharp and Mandi (or if y'all also want to get silly, I guess Crawdaunt :D) for the leaders team (with Mega sale an option for rematch) .

Maybe Greninja? Bisharp and a spinblocker (Sableye) seem to go well with a spike-stacking set.

,.......oh WOW that's right, Grenada is a dark type. That's right xD
I like the idea though bud. Would we go the standard spike set from XY or try adding gunk shot in there somewhere?

I was about to post something about being careful about what moves you have since the player is still working with a limited movepool....

Then I realized that the gym leader is at level 40 minimum (more realistically 43-45-ish), and that most mons have most/all of their level up moves by now and with the exception of pawniard (and maybe one or two others), are fully evolved.

So yeah, go crazy on those movesets, but let's please remember to give the player some TMs and move tutors and such, humans need toys too! :)

Going to take a shot at the Sableye move set unless someone else wants to.

Sableye
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def 252 HP 4 SDef
Nature: Impish/Bold
-Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt
-Knock Off (or Shadow Ball of Knock Off is too much)

Standard stuff, but with almost no investment in Special Defense, the thought being that the player will need a way to reliably beat Sableye without being Burn-stalled to death.

Thanks for the tag, SparksBlade . May the old thread rest in peace. Or piece if you happen to be dyslexic.

I have a test real soon so I can't be on much until then. Tomorrow I'll edit this to include the revamped character designs for the main characters, but that'll be all until late thursday to friday.

One thing though- if we go the dark type gym route, why not give the leader a gengar? I reason this because it fits with the haunted town theme, and gengar also is immune to fighting, which is something bisharp is wary of. It also resists bug, so there's that too.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Ghost too late i guess :/
since we're definitely giving Uxis a spin-blocker, spikes lead ninja is what we should go with. After this town remember we need to fill a few types with Pokemon that are starving atm like fighting and normal(and maybe dragons). The tower should have ghosts, darks and maybe some bugs(dunno what though). Also we need to pacen the pace at which we're strengthening the player cos we have many more Megas to hand out, Pokemon to make available, and we can't be so hesitant cos our opponents will also have the same(or better) tools at their disposal.

And for the gym here's what can be used:
Mega Gyarados
Crawdaunt
Mandibuzz
Bisharp(Pawniard)
Mega Houndoom
Weavile
Sableye
Mega Absol
Hydreigon
Greninja

Do note that the mentioned Megas are either not Dark types in their base form(Gyarados) or unviable(Absol, Houndoom).

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
This may be to late to suggest, but perhaps in the game, thanks to the restriction of Aegislash, all stone evolutions were required to be done by a licensed Smogon Official? Instead of the stones in the team, your receive a voucher to use at some place for the evolution.
Actually that's a brilliant idea! Just instead of "some place", they could be present in every PC. Otherwise i love the idea as a whole.

I mean it is much better than how I was thinking of some phrase saying "only the ill-informed say that" muttered by Chou.

Speaking of our region professor, I was thinking its bout time for him to come check up on you, thus you run into him exiting the Pokemon Center as you are trying to enter it.

NPC Proposal
"Ah, its boutbtime I ran into you! I was getting worried I overshot the town when I flew in but not anymore! You aren't using that Goldman thing still right?"

Silence.

"Good then! At this point you should be experimenting with why plastyles you like and what fits you best. To help you out, I thought I'd give you a Mon that can find itself on many teams."

*hands the player a Clefable*

"There is a whole farm of them in some cave south of here dancing around rocks, but that's a ways off and i think you might like a fairy at this point. This thing is a magic guard variant and really is a versatile Mon. The surveys said so!"

Chou begins walking off and the has a little exclamation mark appear above him as he recalls something.

"By the way, I sent my assistant out earlier to give you some things...have you run into him yet? He was due back awhile ago."

Silence.

"Hmm, where the heck is that Guy?" He shakes his head and sends out his Pokemon before flying off.

Clefable is this:

Lvl 35
Enchantment (Clefairy)
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
I'm thinking the Mandibuzz set should have Foul Play-Roost-Toxic-Taunt, right? Defog seems a bit counterproductive if we want to stack spikes...

So the suggestions we have for free/easily caught Pokémon are a Lvl. 40 Clefable and Pawniard, and we just got a Dratini or Ralts in a trade... This looks fun.

One thing, what if the player wants to use an Unaware Clefable? Maybe we should give them access to Clefairy Cave at some point?

So the suggestions we have for free/easily caught Pokémon are a Lvl. 40 Clefable and Pawniard, and we just got a Dratini or Ralts in a trade... This looks fun.

One thing, what if the player wants to use an Unaware Clefable? Maybe we should give them access to Clefairy Cave at some point?
I was thinking we would make it available at either the next route or one after. I also thought the m-guard one would be more valuable at this point but that can be changed If wished.

im fine with magic guard clef as a freebie at this point. If someone really wants the unaware one they can catch one and then get a moonstone from shiny lady. Its not that bigger deal itll just take a little longer to get.

That said the clef should be given after the gym leader as cleg would make it to easy.

That said whats this guys wildcard pokemon gonna be. even with bisharp and sableye the fairy and fighting weaknesses are huge.

Last edited:
I'll 2nd Genger and remove my reference to scizor. It makes perfect sense both from the towns standpoint and from a tactical perspective. While genger is present fighting and fairies will have little chance to set up freely allowing the rest of the gym leaders team to run rampant and it can also take the odd ground attack that gets thrown Bisharps way and spin block. Welldone AnybodyAgree's and I do support a stallbreaker set to

Would this be set be OK assuming Everyone else votes genger as the gym Leaders Wildcard

Genger @ black sludge
Timid 252 SPATK, 252 Speed, 4 SPDEF
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

I'll 2nd Genger and remove my reference to scizor. It makes perfect sense both from the towns standpoint and from a tactical perspective. While genger is present fighting and fairies will have little chance to set up freely allowing the rest of the gym leaders team to run rampant and it can also take the odd ground attack that gets thrown Bisharps way and spin block. Welldone AnybodyAgree's and I do support a stallbreaker set to

Would this be set be OK assuming Everyone else votes genger as the gym Leaders Wildcard

Genger @ black sludge
Timid 252 SPATK, 252 Speed, 4 SPDEF
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
I would go Sludge Bomb instead of Wave. 5 base power won't break many walls that aren't broken by Sludge Bomb, and the 30% chance to poison really can help.

Sludge Wave is arguably more useful as Sludge Bomb doesn't hurt the rare Chesnaught, which is otherwise mauled by Sludge Wave. If you're running substitute, it's also better to run these EVs: 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpDef / 252 Spe
These prevent M-Venu from being able to OHKO its substitute with any move other than a neutral Hidden Power or Knock Off.
Aside from that, it would be necessary to have a check for AV Conkeldurr.

Given the discussion I'm seeing here, I wouldn't worry at all about clefable making the gym too easy, we already have bisharp/pawniard as a check and a possible gengar as a total counter. I would NOT have the gym leader run a megamon until we give the player himself a megamon, we have plenty of options without it tbh(heck, weavile, mandi, gren, and bish already make a pretty nice balanced core right there).

I have yet to together moveset of sad clefable....which I wasgonna give calm mind but haven't access to a comp since my brother poured chocolate milk over the router.

Also as Web said, we got a nice core ATM with Sable Bish (or Pawn) Gren and Mandi and Gengar, so what should be the final slot? Nother wildcard or what?

I think we should make the last poke a crawdaunt cause I was looking at the viability rankings, and there are barely any dark types on it, and crawdaunt is the lowest we can get, and I can't find any other dark types that are above C(except M-Sharpedo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)