Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / [Grass]
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave

the last two moves need some work though

This got me to #1 for less than one minute.

Last edited:
I've been trying Curse Snorlax (thanks Pyronox for reminding). It's a known set in the modern day and should function well in this meta. A general set is as follows:
Snorlax @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Earthquake/Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Body Slam/Return

Snorlax is can tank Special Attacks with its 160/110 bulk and Rest off any damage and can remedy its Defense by using Curse. When enough Curses have been accumulated, smash opponents with Return or Earthquake, although HP Ghost hits Gengar.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Curse Snorlax (thanks Pyronox for reminding). It's a known set in the modern day and should function well in this meta. A general set is as follows:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Earthquake/Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Body Slam/Return

Snorlax is pretty good at tanking Special Attacks and one can remedy its Defense by using Curse. When enough Curses have been accumulated, smash opponents with Return or Earthquake, although HP Ghost hits Gengar.
BTW Snorlax learns shadow ball

Things that i have tried and have been fun:
Aerodactyl, with choice band. It has one of the fastest rock slides in the game along with a decent secondary hp flying STAB, eq and double edge. Double edge is nice with rock head, smacking most pokes that resist rock/flying. This was better when less people where using swampert. (i aso just realised this got fly, which could be better than hpfly)

I also experimented with dragon dance gyarados, but you kinda want sub/dd/rock slide/hp fly/eq all on one set.
Note, these where right at the start of the ladder sets, before curse lax ;;

I dont think ive encountered it, but does explosion make the user lose? It makes sense because it ohkos everything bar aggron

Self-KO clause needs to be added. The best strategy vs anything that isn't a ghost is to just explode / self-destruct and get a free win.
I actually started running this:

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Focus Punch
- Bulk Up / Hidden Power [Ghost]

Could take out a few threats, but wasn't that effective overall

Swampert seems to be the best Damp user... but it turns out Damp is its hidden ability. I saw a Swampert on the ladder assuming Damp and just got wrecked. So it looks like there aren't really many viable counters to Explosion Metagross, since it can use psychic STAB to take out stuff like Poliwrath.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swampert seems to be the best Damp user... but it turns out Damp is its hidden ability. I saw a Swampert on the ladder assuming Damp and just got wrecked. So it looks like there aren't really many viable counters to Explosion Metagross, since it can use psychic STAB to take out stuff like Poliwrath.
Swampert doesnt get damp in gen3. All the damp users are bad

This really needs a nerf, i have played enough adv ou to know how stupid cb boom metagross/lax is. They both get eq for steel/rock types, the former can meteor mash ghost types (gengar i think is the only relevant one), the ladder has shadow ball.

I know. What I was saying was that I was mislead into thinking it had Damp. I then realised that Damp was from Gen 5...

We either need Self-KO clause or have self-destruct / explosion banned. Right now the meta is basically use protect or explode.

EV

Banned deucer.
Sounds like we've got a problem on our hands. The Immortal how about we ban self-KO moves or change the mechanics so it causes the user to lose? At least something to curb Explosion/Self Destruct spam and maybe Perish Song.

EV

Banned deucer.
We have already picked the Throwback ladder for October. Watch my Twitter account for a sneak peak soon! The new ladder will be posted by the 1st.

EV

Banned deucer.
October's ladder is Gen IV Tier Shift!! That's right, our runner-up from the last vote was barely behind in votes, so we decided to give it a shot next. I will update the OP soon and the ladder should be playable by the 1st/after server restart. Enjoy!

OCTOBER TIER SHIFT SPOOPY COOL FUN

How will nu be handled cause no ru. Also charizard and jynx seem like the stars of meta meta from my theorymonning (theorymonningg=looking at dpp nu viability rankings)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)