SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion MK2 **Official Media Only**

On I think a more positive note, I really like that with the fusions this time around they decided to go with symmetry in the designs. Both DM and DW Necrozmas look really good and the added on black is great for accenting.

On I think a more positive note, I really like that with the fusions this time around they decided to go with symmetry in the designs. Both DM and DW Necrozmas look really good and the added on black is great for accenting.
Eh, I personally thought that while DM is good, DW can be better for its backpack design and position the claws in a more ideal position.

And btw the asymmetry is very likely to be intended for the BW dragons, to show the incomplete nature of Kyurem, but since the SM trios (?) Are in fact complete beings on their own and Necrozma is taking over like a parasite, so it got to be symmetric.

Last edited:
This tweet gives a bit of a sneak peek into (part of) what will be revealed tomorrow.

【『ポケモン ウルトラサン・ウルトラムーン』発売まで、あと16日!】明日、11月2日22時に新情報公開! どこか見覚えのある「R」マークを胸につけた、謎のトレーナー。彼らはまさか……ロケット団?
[16 more days until Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are released!] Tomorrow, November 2nd, at 22:00, we will reveal new information! A familiar "R" symbol on the chest of mysterious trainers. Could they be... Team Rocket?

Rainbow Rocket. "Team Rocket" is so last gen.
(But really if you haven't heard of a certain leak or lurked for these last two weeks, better not bother until tomorrow)
Arguably Rainbow Rocket actually sounds just as lame lol.......

Anyway, we can only hope that there will be something more than just Rainbow Rocket/Team-whatsoever Rocket, such as what is behind the two cover legendaries. I hope they'll pull something more than just Rainbow Rocket, even it itself is already kinda awesome.

^Nope, that was the codename for S/M specifically, based off the niji/nijū (rainbow/twenty) pun in Japanese signaling it was the year of the 20th anniversary.

I think the rainbow theme sprawls over a lot of Gen 7 ideas. Zygarde-Complete, Necrozma being a prism of light, the rainbow Pokémon Ho-Oh debuting in the 20th film, possibly the return of Team Rocket... it’s pretty cool.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well if the rumors are to be believed

... a conglomeration of previous villain teams gathered by Giovanni via Ultra Wormholes going to alternate timelines:

Red: Maxie
Orange: Lysandre
Yellow: Lusamine
Green: Ghetsis
Blue: Archie
Indigo: Guzma
Violet: Cyrus

Though Maxie/Archie and Guzma/Lusamine would probably be version exclusive.

That'd sound pretty hard to believe though, seeing Lusamine in the USUM trailers doesn't seem very happy about the whole Necrozma thing.

To Gamefreak’s credit, USUM doesn’t seem like a story retread is SM. SM’s main threat was the UB & Lusamine’s attempt & releasing them in Alola. Solgaleo & Lunala had smaller roles. While there are elements of the same story, we know that Necrozma seems to be the big threat in this story & Solgaleo/Lunala have a more active role this time around.

What I’m thinking is that Lusamine ends up being sort of used by the Rockets & Giovanni’s goal is to seize Necrozma as a means to reflect the light it collects as a mirror to shape the world into his ideal.

Sort of like the Infinite Tsukuyomi for those that have read/watched Naruto.

... a conglomeration of previous villain teams gathered by Giovanni via Ultra Wormholes going to alternate timelines:

That's... interesting. I'd been wondering about why the Rainbow theme. Would much rather just have plain ol' Team Rocket back, to be honest.

As usual, I will be posting the trailer(s) as soon as I can and giving a quick rundown of the Japanese version. Just under 12 hours to go!

What about Lusamine?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I decided to look through Bulbapedia's collection of cross generation references to see the amount of references given to each region. On paper you'd be surprised to hear that Kanto and Kalos both got 13 references with Johto and Sinnoh with just under ten. Seems balanced, but I saw a lot of small references listed among major so I decided to dissect through the list and make my own. So this is what I got:

Kanto:
1. Player moved from Kanto. This was done after your mom had witnessed Kukui's challenge of the Indigo Pokemon League which is mentioned a few times (also counts as a Johto reference as Lance was the Champion whom Kukui battled).
2. Red & Blue are the Battle Tree bosses.
2.5. Heahea City founded by people from Kanto & Johto.
3.5. Maile Garden has a Nugget Bridge with a reference to the Team Rocket recruitment battles that took place there.
4.5. Lillie & Lusamine go to Kanto to see Bill at the end of the game.
5.5. All Alolan Pokemon are Gen I Pokemon. Samson Oak is also essentially an Alolan Samuel Oak.

Johto:
Heahea City founded by people from Kanto & Johto.
1.5. Maile City founded by people from Johto. Notably Maile Garden has what looks to be a replica of the Brass Tower and lake is in the shape of a Gyarados, possibly a reference to the Lake of Rage.
2.5. Apricorn Poke Balls return.

Hoenn:
Wally is a Battle Tree opponent.
2. Anabel appears as part of the International Police (and Battle Tree opponent). In addition this Anabel is hinted to be the same exact Anabel from Emerald, brought to the Mega Timeline via an Ultra Wormhole.
2.5. In Haina Desert you meet the alien that gave the five old guys the O-Powers who then later pass it onto Mr. Bonding. Also to remind the alien who he was you needed to show him a Solrock/Lunatone.

Sinnoh:
Cynthia is a Battle Tree opponent.

Unova:
Professor Burnet is in the game.
2. Colress is in the game and is a Battle Tree opponent.
3. Grimsley is in the game and is a Battle Tree opponent.

Kalos:
Dexio & Sina are in the game and are Battle Tree opponent. They also give you a Key Stone to Mega Evolve your Pokemon.
2. Zygarde collecting side quest.
2.5. Hinted Clemont helped make Rotom Dex.
3.5. There's a Sushi High Roller in Maile City.
4.5. Resolution Cave's layout is the same as Terminus Cave.
5. In Haina Desert you meet the alien that gave the five old guys the O-Powers who then later pass it onto Mr. Bonding.

And Kanto BARELY comes out on top (though your definition of what's a major reference may vary and thus alter the list). But still, let's compare the Kanto and Kalos references:

Kanto had two story important references (player being from Kanto and Lillie going to Kanto, sort of bookends of each other) and all the Alolan Pokemon are Gen I Pokemon. Kalos had the Zygarde collecting side quest but really that's the most important one it had.

Still, there will still plenty of references to other regions even if Kanto got the lion's share, so why does it feel like Kanto had more presence. Then it hit me: it had nothing to do with the games. It all had to do with this:

I think the 20th Pokemon Movie being a remake of the first episode of the Pokemon anime really struck a nerve with a lot of people. Yes, many liked the idea, but still this would have been the first movie in Alola but they decided to do something relating to the very start of Pokemon. Which would have been alright... if they didn't change things and start shoving in Pokemon from other gens, notably Marshadow. Marshadow, one of two of Alola's Mythical Pokemon though the only one how got a movie released after Sun & Moon... was instead placed in a Kanto-based movie. Now this is actually more Alola invading a Kanto thing, but still this movie was released during Sun & Moon's run so one could argue it invaded first and if anything the Alola elements appearing in it are fighting back like "NO! This is MY Generation!".

Also I think people's imagination got the best of them with Alolan Pokemon, disappointing them when they were only a handful and all were Gen I Pokemon (and with the games coming out in two weeks its becoming less and less likely there may be more).

Two in-game images from the digital pre-load via the Japanese eShop:

The four moves are: Screw Huntail, Screw Gorebyss, Lanturn 360, and Primarina Flip. We can conclude safely that moves are done by direction combinations, and there seems to be ranks for how well you perform them, with each rank (bronze, silver, gold) having a score requirement.

Did they remove the stat change stuff from the battle screen? Or did it only show up when there are stat changes even in SM?

EDIT: Okay yeah, the stat change menu thing only shows up when stat changes occurred in SM, so they probably didn't remove it.

Last edited:
Two in-game images from the digital pre-load via the Japanese eShop:

The four moves are: Screw Huntail, Screw Gorebyss, Lanturn 360, and Primarina Flip

Did they remove the stat change stuff from the battle screen? Or did it only show up when there are stat changes even in SM?
The stat changes you could only view them if you tapped the pokemon's sprite icon on the bottom screen. Also, that new menu look CLEAN.

Considering that all the games take place in regions that are part of the same world, we should be less cynical & surprised that the games acknowledge other regions (which has been a thing since Gen 2). Every person in the world is more or less aware of at least one other country’s presence in their day to day life. It would be stupid to pretend othe regions don’t exist.

Acknowledging other regions is a good thing that enriches the game experience. We would all be complaining if they didn’t do that.

Recurring characters / elements is something present in the majority of media forms.

I guess Looker making three consecutive appearances is Gen 4 pandering. Don’t forget the blatant Gen 2 pandering Gamefreak committed by bringing back apricorn balls. Colress being in SM was gross Gen 5 pandering.
My point is that I don’t want pandering at all. My point is that I’m sick of how much attention Kanto gets than the other regions. First of all, the original Alola Dex. There were more Kanto Pokémon than Alola. They also decided to make all the Alola forms Gen 1. All the other regions except Alola get their numbers dwindled. ( Poor Kalos. ) I remember when they hosted the Kanto X Alola Regional Rumble, I was Annoyed, because a little less than half the Pokémon were already in the Dex. They could have made it the Johto X Alola Regional Rumble, since all original mons are in the Johto Dex. As for Samson Oak, after all the hype they gave for him, he plays a very minor role, just telling you about Regional Variants as well as giving Apricorn Balls. At least Looker story involvement. Samson is just fan service. As for Lillie, everyone knows that Bill didn't fuse with a clefairy, he fused with one. Big diffference. They should have gone to Unova, considering that there was a fusion incident that happened a few years earlier. I could say a bit more, but I don't want to go on a tangent.
I decided to look through Bulbapedia's collection of cross generation references to see the amount of references given to each region. On paper you'd be surprised to hear that Kanto and Kalos both got 13 references with Johto and Sinnoh with just under ten. Seems balanced, but I saw a lot of small references listed among major so I decided to dissect through the list and make my own. So this is what I got:

Kanto:
Player moved from Kanto. This was done after your mom had witnessed Kukui's challenge of the Indigo Pokemon League which is mentioned a few times (also counts as a Johto reference as Lance was the Champion whom Kukui battled).
2. Red & Blue are the Battle Tree bosses.
2.5. Heahea City founded by people from Kanto & Johto.
3.5. Maile Garden has a Nugget Bridge with a reference to the Team Rocket recruitment battles that took place there.
4.5. Lillie & Lusamine go to Kanto to see Bill at the end of the game.
5.5. All Alolan Pokemon are Gen I Pokemon. Samson Oak is also essentially an Alolan Samuel Oak.

Johto:
Heahea City founded by people from Kanto & Johto.
1.5. Maile City founded by people from Johto. Notably Maile Garden has what looks to be a replica of the Brass Tower and lake is in the shape of a Gyarados, possibly a reference to the Lake of Rage.
2.5. Apricorn Poke Balls return.

Hoenn:
Wally is a Battle Tree opponent.
2. Anabel appears as part of the International Police (and Battle Tree opponent). In addition this Anabel is hinted to be the same exact Anabel from Emerald, brought to the Mega Timeline via an Ultra Wormhole.
2.5. In Haina Desert you meet the alien that gave the five old guys the O-Powers who then later pass it onto Mr. Bonding. Also to remind the alien who he was you needed to show him a Solrock/Lunatone.

Sinnoh:
Cynthia is a Battle Tree opponent.

Unova:
Professor Burnet is in the game.
2. Colress is in the game and is a Battle Tree opponent.
3. Grimsley is in the game and is a Battle Tree opponent.

Kalos:
Dexio & Sina are in the game and are Battle Tree opponent. They also give you a Key Stone to Mega Evolve your Pokemon.
2. Zygarde collecting side quest.
2.5. Hinted Clemont helped make Rotom Dex.
3.5. There's a Sushi High Roller in Maile City.
4.5. Resolution Cave's layout is the same as Terminus Cave.
5. In Haina Desert you meet the alien that gave the five old guys the O-Powers who then later pass it onto Mr. Bonding.

And Kanto BARELY comes out on top (though your definition of what's a major reference may vary and thus alter the list). But still, let's compare the Kanto and Kalos references:

Kanto had two story important references (player being from Kanto and Lillie going to Kanto, sort of bookends of each other) and all the Alolan Pokemon are Gen I Pokemon. Kalos had the Zygarde collecting side quest but really that's the most important one it had.

Still, there will still plenty of references to other regions even if Kanto got the lion's share, so why does it feel like Kanto had more presence. Then it hit me: it had nothing to do with the games. It all had to do with this:

I think the 20th Pokemon Movie being a remake of the first episode of the Pokemon anime really struck a nerve with a lot of people. Yes, many liked the idea, but still this would have been the first movie in Alola but they decided to do something relating to the very start of Pokemon. Which would have been alright... if they didn't change things and start shoving in Pokemon from other gens, notably Marshadow. Marshadow, one of two of Alola's Mythical Pokemon though the only one how got a movie released after Sun & Moon... was instead placed in a Kanto-based movie. Now this is actually more Alola invading a Kanto thing, but still this movie was released during Sun & Moon's run so one could argue it invaded first and if anything the Alola elements appearing in it are fighting back like "NO! This is MY Generation!".

Also I think people's imagination got the best of them with Alolan Pokemon, disappointing them when they were only a handful and all were Gen I Pokemon (and with the games coming out in two weeks its becoming less and less likely there may be more).
Yeah, I was a little annoyed that they were again referencing Kanto through this movie. It seems that they decided to create Sun and Moon to reference Kanto for a lot of people, yet the younger audiences don't like it that a region they don't have a strong connection is getting all the attention. Though, I'm not going to say that its bad, because I've heard fairly good reviews from critics about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)