Poliwrath (Placeholder)

Poliwrath

[OVERVIEW]
<p> Poliwrath is an interesting pokemon. It has mediocre and fairly average stats, yet they are enough to still let Poliwrath be viable. Poliwrath has a small movepool, yet what it has is very useful and effective. It doesn't have one specific niche, but can do an average job in several different roles. It does have several things that differentiate it from other pokemon that allow it to be competitively viable and a potent threat. </p>

[SET]

name: Belly Flop
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Rock Slide / Return
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Jolly
EVs.: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> There's nothing scarier than a pokemon with +6 Attack and +2 Speed, and that's exactly what Poliwrath can do. With Rain Support, Swift Swim allows Poliwrath to sit comfortably at +2 Speed, which is faster than all pokemon except for those with scarves, a positive nature, and a base speed stat over 102. After one Belly Drum, Poliwrath's attack stat skyrockets, making it a fast, bulky powerhouse. It can then spam a +6 STAB Waterfall that's boosted by the rain. Common rain counters like Nattorei are easily taken care of by STAB Brick Break. Poliwrath can't have perfect coverage, but it can get pretty close. With Rock Slide, only Toxicroak resists all moves (and takes a hefty 85%-100% from Brick Break). However, Rock Slide is a weak move and can't score many important KO's, so Return is an option for a higher base power. If Return is chosen, Burungeru and Shedinja are immune to everything Poliwrath has, however, so it's a tough choice. One of the best things about this set is its resistance to priority. Weather sweepers like Doryuuzu are weak to priority, but Poliwrath resists Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, Sucker Punch and is neutral to Quick Attack, Extremespeed, Vacuum Wave, Shadow Sneak, and Mach Punch. This, when coupled with Poliwrath's bulk, can allow it to take at least one hit from a priority attack. The EVs give Poliwrath max attack, and enough speed to outspeed ScarfChomp and Deoxys-S.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> Poison Jab is an option if neither Rock Slide nor Returm are appealing, as it is only resisted by Burungeru (Shedinja is still immune, though), but it is still weak and has poor super effective coverage. Poliwrath can run a few more speed points to outspeed several important threats like Scarf Terakion, Scarf Cobalion, and Scarf Kojondo, but really of those only Scarf Kojondo is common. A Life Orb can give Poliwrath more power, but it makes Poliwrath's sweep very short and is uneccessary. If Poliwrath needs more oppurtunities to set up, it can run Encore or Hypnosis, although that takes away from Poliwrath's coverage.</p>

[SET]

name: Sub Puncher
move 1: Encore / Bulk Up
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Focus Punch
move 4: Waterfall
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Adamant
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> This is a classic Poliwrath set, utilizing both Poliwrath's bulk and power. The idea is to Encore a utility move, like Nattorei's Stealth Rock, set up a Sub, and Punch away at everything. Alternatively, Poliwrath can Bulk Up a few times before setting up a sub. This way, physical attackers won't be able to break the sub easily, and your attacks hurt much more. So Encore is used for assurance that Poliwrath will be able to set up a sub, and Bulk Up is for more power. Focus Punch will deal a ton of damage off of Poliwrath's maxed out attack after factoring in STAB. Waterfall is also there for STAB, and even though it doesn't have very good coverage with Focus Punch, it doesn't matter because even after factoring in STAB and resistances, Focus Punch has a base power of 113 against anything with a x2 resist. This is scary indeed. Poliwrath is bulky enough to be able to take a hit, so the HP EVs are maxed out. Poliwrath also wants to be able to set up multiple subs, so Leftovers were used as an item. Focus Punch is illegal with Swift Swim, so Water Absorb was used, making it even easier to set up. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> For maximum coverage, Poliwrath should have Rock Slide over Waterfall, but coverage isn't an issue because Focus Punch still deals a ton of damage, even if the foe resists it. Poliwrath can run a few more speed EVs, but the bulk is more useful on Poliwrath. For the real risk takers, Hypnosis can be used over Encore or Bulk Up for a mini-Breloom, but Hypnosis is unreliable. There's really not a whole lot to this set, it's fairly simple. </p>

I have used a physical wall / status absorber / phazer set with huge success:

name: ResTalk
move 1: Overhead Throw
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
Nature: Impish
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

It can easily take on rain teams not using ludicolo or can catch nattorei on the switch with OHT, with some entry hazards.
Can take on Doryuuzu even asleep since both attacks hurt super effectively.
Sleep talk removes the negative priority of overhead throw, phazing slower pokemons right away.
4 Spe EVs will outspeed minimum 70s like metagross and skarmory, so sleep talking OHT phazes them before they setup.

While Nageki may seem as a better user of Overhead Throw, it can't learn Sleep Talk, making poliwrath a better option, while also having better resistances and 1 immunity (with Water Absorb).

Minor nitpicking even though I know you're just getting started! In the overview, "allows" should be "allow". There are a couple Politoeds that should be Poliwraths in the set comments; guess that goes to show that Drizzle Politoed is on everyone's minds lmao! Also in the set comments, "faster all" should be "faster than all". In the additional comments, "Returm" should be "Return", "at leas 100" should be "at least 100", "as supposed to" should be "as opposed to", and the last word "uneccessary" should be "unnecessary"! ^_^

Very interesting set, I'll probably end up testing it at some point. You may want to mention somewhere that Swift Swim Belly Drum Poliwrath is competing with Swords Dance Toxicroak in quite a few areas. Toxicroak is resistant to Sucker Punch, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and absorbs Aqua Jet. However, Toxicroak also has it a bit easier with breaking through Pokemon such as Burungeru, and can't be hit by an untimely burn from Boil Over.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Put Encore and Hypnosis as options on the Belly Drum set as they can help him set up. Those two moves are key to the success of the set, and they definitely shouldn't be overlooked in favor of Rock Slide and Return. In fact, scrap Return in favor of Earthquake. Earthquake is a lot better and is your best option against Burungeru, Toxicroak etc. STAB Rain boosted Waterfall hits things like Gyarados almost as hard as Return anyway (90BP vs 102BP) and has a flinch chance.

Not sure max speed is neccesary...216 Spe hits 506 in rain and therefore outruns Deoxys-S (and by extension Scarfchomp). Max spe hits 524 - just missing out on Scarf 110's. I dunno, depends how popular things like Scarf Terakion and Scarf Zoroark are (not very, in my experience). 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe Jolly is an option.

Looking good though...looking forward to seeing the finished article because I <3 Poliwrath.

name: ResTalk + Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
Nature: Careful
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Spe

Needs to be listed this ol' Gen IV standard. It's not the BEST option for poliwrath, but his unique typing allows him to counter several metagame threats that continue to be big threats in this generation, namely Heatran, Scizor, and Tyranitar, as well as making Bronzong a liability. Also, keep in mind that things like Gyarados and Salamence have fallen in popularity this Gen.

This is the set I used to run

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 208 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Return

With the set you're running, it only hits 478 speed, which a ton of scarfed stuff outspeeds. It kind of needs the speed so stuff like ScarfChomp won't outspeed. 228 speed outspeeds +1 base 105s like Kojondo, just my two cents. The current spread gives you 250, and the 228 EVs will give 255

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Why not a SubPunch set? It's kinda weird in rain, but STAB Focus Punch can deal really big damage to anything existing on earth, bar x4 resists and immunities, and it makes Poliwrath play with 2 highly powered STAB, which can make it for its under average attack.

EDIT : uh, looks like Swift Swim + Focus punch is illegal, so forget that

Can someone help me come up with a few more sets?

I currently have the Rain Belly Drum set and a Sub Punch set.

I'm not too sold on the Rest Talk Phazing set, mostly because Poliwrath just isn't that fast, and the whole point of the set is ruined by any Ghost type.

The Rest Bulk Up set is good, but it really isn't worth writing up, and there are too many pokemon who can take advantage of their Water resistance to make this set too effective

I'm thinking about a bulky utitlity set with something like this:

name: Utility
move 1: Encore
move 2: Hypnosis
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Overhead Throw
Nature: Impish
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Swift Swim sets are all dead now, since Aldaron's Proposal was passed, so I would either remove them entirely or somehow make them suitable for a Drizzle + Swift Swim-less meta-game.

"but Poliwrath resists Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet and is neutral to Quick Attack, Extremespeed, Vacuum Wave, Shadow Sneak, and Mach Punch. "

Just thought you might want to add that it also resists ice shard and sucker punch as well

Swift Swim sets are all dead now, since Aldaron's Proposal was passed, so I would either remove them entirely or somehow make them suitable for a Drizzle + Swift Swim-less meta-game.
It can still be run in a Rain Dance team should you so desire. The majority of Kingdra/Ludicolo/Kabutops analyses last gen placed a heavy emphasis on the strategy, so this shouldn't be a problem. Just don't make BD + SwSw the primary set.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Poliwrath was recently added to the 'unfit for OU' list here. zdrup15 summed up the reasoning nicely with his post. Moving to L&O.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)