Porygon+Gengar - Egg Move Only Team

The team I built is centered around Porygon-Z
and Gengar,
most likely the best pokemon ever created by a large margin. The rest of these mons were added to that Gengar and Porygon-Z get the chance to wreck teams.

Two important conditions considered when creating this team:
  1. All moves must be either learned while leveling up, by via TM/HM, or is an Egg move. No Move tutor moves allowed.
  2. The pokemon must be breedable in the 6th gen (no legendaries).

The backup preview:

Excadrill (F) @ Focus Sash Air Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Brick Break

The rapid spinner. Excadrill protects the team from Hazards and the occasional Reflect/Light screens with Brick Break. Due to the restrictions that I've placed, Excadrill seemed like the best rapid spinner for my team due to his typing and access to a Mold Breaker Earthquake. He's usually the lead in a lot of battles. While rock slide would've provided better coverage in this set, Iron Head would allow Excadrill to deal massive damage to fairy types.

Tyranitar (F) @ Tyranitarite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rocks
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch Toxic

The stealth rocks user. Not only does he have great coverage and bulk, he also learns stealth rocks as an egg move! Finding a good poke with stealth rocks was difficult considering due to the conditions that were placed. Other pokes considered were Mamoswine/Skarmory/Ferrothorn/Bisharp/and Aggron. Tyranitar was used because the team would lack a mega if one of the others were used. He also had access to EQedge and was pretty tanky.

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Superpower

Azumarill was chosen due to his fairy typing and access to priority. With Excadrill, as the rapid spinner, using Azumarill would also help complete a Dragon/Fairy/Steel core that was suggested on the forums. The next pokemon I'd choose to complete this core would be a dragon type.

Noivern (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam (lol) Hidden Power Grass

The third special attacker and the completion of the Dragon/Fairy/Steel core. With infiltrator to help get past sub-baton pass teams, he completed the team with his typing and moveset. He also resists fighting which is a huge bonus for Porygon-Z.

The Stars:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature

- Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt

This guy. Not only is this pokemon probably the sexiest pokemon ever created, he packs a base 135 special attack. The goal to using this mon was to switch in after all pokes that are faster can OHKO it are eliminated, set up a nasty plot, and sweep away!

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball

Gengar, Gen 1's best pokemon! Just look at him. So graceful as he hops back and forth. A smile that instantly made me fall in love. He was mandatory to have on my team in all generations. He was a lot easier to work with in creating this team as well. The sub/disable set helped me love more than one hit. His Ghost/Poison hits hard with a 130 base special attack and he's got decent speed. Since Gengar was the only poke mon my team that knew poison move other than toxic, Focus Blast was replaced with Sludge Bomb.

Typing strengths and reason for uncommon sets:

Every mon in this team, when combined for the number of super effective attacks, will hit every type at least once and by at least two pokemon. Should also note that every type weakness will have the same number of resists for each poke or more (ex: this team has 3 pokemon with a weakness to fighting, but the other 3 resist fighting).

Please help me make this team better! I just want to see a good Porygon-Z/Gengar team.

Last edited:
Focus Sash isn't an optimal item for Excadrill I would recommend you swap it for an Air Balloon (obtainable in the Battle Maison 48 BP)
Edit: especially if your going to put HP, and SpDef EVs on Excadrill.
DoubleEdit: Oh and Solar Beam isn't a very good move except on a sun team (or MegaZardY) so think of something else for your Noivern.
TripleEdit:(sorry for so many edits) You might think about swapping Stealth Rocks for Dragon Dance on T-Tar so that you can have horribly high attack, and good speed. MegaT-Tar's base attack is already a devasting 164, and after just 1 DD it's at 245, also MegaT-Tar's low base speed of 71 will be up to a nice base 106.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for you input! a few questions and concerns:
Focus Sash isn't an optimal item for Excadrill I would recommend you swap it for an Air Balloon (obtainable in the Battle Maison 48 BP)
Ahh, this is great, I'll change this!

DoubleEdit: Oh and Solar Beam isn't a very good move except on a sun team (or MegaZardY) so think of something else for your Noivern.
You're right, I thought solar beam is used on the turn that it was select, not after.

TripleEdit:(sorry for so many edits) You might think about swapping Stealth Rocks for Dragon Dance on T-Tar so that you can have horribly high attack, and good speed. MegaT-Tar's base attack is already a devasting 164, and after just 1 DD it's at 245, also MegaT-Tar's low base speed of 71 will be up to a nice base 106.
I'll keep this in mind, but he seems to be the best stealth rocks user under the listed constraints.

Overall, very helpful! thank you very much!

Well does your team need rocks for anything? If some of your pokes are countered or checked by something and that something is hurt by rocks then I do recommend you use them, but if not then DD is the more useful choice.
It all depends on what your team needs.

Heracross is a huge threat to my team, but with rocks it's possible for me to lose 2 pokes instead of 3 to take him out if Noivern is gone.

First of I see a large Scizor (especially mega) weakness in Tyranitar, Excadrill, Porygon, AND Azumarill. He also resists ALL of Gengars attacks and most of Porygon's. I'd put HP fire in place of Nasty Plot on Porygon (which it truly doesn't need,) and slap a choice scarf on that bad boy, and you'll be able to take Scizor and Genesect both in stride (so long as Genesect isn't scarved either.) Other than that it looks pretty good, and I agree that Porygon-Z and Gengar are sexy as hell

First of I see a large Scizor (especially mega) weakness in Tyranitar, Excadrill, Porygon, AND Azumarill. He also resists ALL of Gengars attacks and most of Porygon's. I'd put HP fire in place of Nasty Plot on Porygon (which it truly doesn't need,) and slap a choice scarf on that bad boy, and you'll be able to take Scizor and Genesect both in stride (so long as Genesect isn't scarved either.) Other than that it looks pretty good, and I agree that Porygon-Z and Gengar are sexy as hell
Thank you so much for the input, I've changed it. :D

Heracross is a huge threat to my team, but with rocks it's possible for me to lose 2 pokes instead of 3 to take him out if Noivern is gone.
Saw the changes to porygon, good good. He should now outspeed heracross and ohko him, so no longer a threat.

Saw the changes to porygon, good good. He should now outspeed heracross and ohko him, so no longer a threat.
Just had a Conkeldurr completely sweep my team. Is there an easier way to get rid of him than to rely on the 70% accuracy of hurricane? He OHKOs Noivern with Ice punch. Would it be better to switch him out to talonflame?

Just had a Conkeldurr completely sweep my team. Is there an easier way to get rid of him than to rely on the 70% accuracy of hurricane? He OHKOs Noivern with Ice punch. Would it be better to switch him out to talonflame?
Replace Noivern with physical attacking tornadus-t with acrobatics, with no item it should ohko conk after stealth rock. You could try talonflame too, I'm just personally not a fan of the whole 4x stealth rock weakness thing

Definitely, if its an AV Conkeldurr then look at this Calc, Modest 252SpAtk Noivern Hurricane vs 0hp 248SpDef Av conkeldurr 95.7-112.8 so it only OHKOes 68.8% of the time

Wouldn't timid be a superior on gengar? Getting of the fastest substitute possible is ideal, and disable is pointless if it is slower than the opponent.Without timid, threats like garchomp, and non scarfed genesect will be able to outspeed if they run a speed boosting nature. I believe anything with more than 98 base speed and a speed boosting nature will be able to outspeed.

Wouldn't timid be a superior on gengar? Getting of the fastest substitute possible is ideal, and disable is pointless if it is slower than the opponent.Without timid, threats like garchomp, and non scarfed genesect will be able to outspeed if they run a speed boosting nature. I believe anything with more than 98 base speed and a speed boosting nature will be able to outspeed.
Ooo, missed this. Yes timid is better in this situation

Replace Noivern with physical attacking tornadus-t with acrobatics, with no item it should ohko conk after stealth rock. You could try talonflame too, I'm just personally not a fan of the whole 4x stealth rock weakness thing
I actually realized I let my Azumarill die and forgot he had play rough! This was my fault for getting swept by him. I can't put any legendaries on the team though, so Tornadus-t can't be used :(

This is a great idea! I'll be changing it. Thanks :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)