Porygon-Z (Full Revamp) +

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hidden Power Water is a good option. I've actually used it on my Nasty Plotting Toxicroak (for the Rain team).

Anyway, skiddle... No Mixed agility set? I thought something like:

Return / Tri Attack / Something / Agility @ Life Orb + Download was a potent set (never tested it but it seems like it could work). Any ideas?
Why would you be using Download on that set, when two of the moves are Normal-type?

Hidden Power fire could be an option a set for scizor and other fire weak threats. I've used it effectively, but don't know how useful it is

Bullet Punch rapes Porygon-Z pretty badly, so I don't think sacrificing a moveslot for one pokemon is that big of a deal, especially when it would most certainly beat you or at least wound Porygon-Z. I always run from Scizor personally, even if I did have an attack that could OHKO it it's not worth eating 60.45%-71.38% from an unboosted Bullet Punch, especially since most of the sets listed here use Substitute or Life Orb on them.

Although, it would help with Bronzong and friends, but I would rather be able to hit Tyranitar, Heatran and other stuff with Hidden Power Fighting or Water than use up that precious slot on a Fire attack.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
<p> Porygon-Z can 2HKO anything in the game after a Nasty Plot. This makes it very difficult to counter. Thankfully it is rather frail and has low Speed. </p>
<p>In Platinum, Porygon-Z has had to adapt its strategy a bit. Using Nasty Plot, it packs fearsome power, but is open to revenge kills from Scarfed Heatran, Shaymin-S, and Scizor. This set attempts to remedy these issues by using Substitute to block revenge killing attempts, and a Salac Berry to ensure that you outrun most enemy Pokemon.</p>

<p>Porygon-Z is a fearsome special attacker, and as such, encourages switches to dedicated special walls. Using this free turn, you have two options. If your opponent has a Blissey, you should Nasty Plot first. This will lead your opponent to believe it is a regular Nasty Plotter, and they will likely attempt to Thunder Wave you. This will allow you to set up a Substitute on them. You can Nasty Plot a second time as they break your Substitute. After two Nasty Plots, you should be able to 2HKO most Blissey. Most opponents will not Thunder Wave again, thinking you will Substitute. If you Nasty Plot, then Substitute, then Nasty Plot, then Tri Attack, then Substitute, you will beat every Blissey with a Salac Boost. If you play intelligently, you may even walk away with a Substitute depending on their reaction to your first Tri Attack. Flamethrower/Toxic Blissey has no chance. With the given Special Defense EVs it will take two hits to break one of Porygon-Z's Substitutes with Blissey's Special Attack of choice (Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, or Ice Beam). Take advantage of this, and you should very easily win the game.</p>

<p> Against a more offensive opponent, you should Substitute first. When they send in a faster Pokemon, you can Substitute as they break your previous Substitute. Repeat once more, and you will be at one-fourth of your HP, and have a Salac boost. You will more than likely outrun them, so you can either Nasty Plot, or kill them off, leaving you with +1 Speed and +2 Special Attack, or +1 Speed and a Substitute. Since Scizor is very popular, you should strongly consider keeping your Substitute instead of going for the Nasty Plot. Its Bullet Punch will force you to switch or die if Porygon-Z is caught exposed. Even with only 370 Special Attack, Porygon-Z can do considerable damage to the opponent, and makes a good cleaner.</p>

<p> It is difficult to get good type coverage with only two moves. This problem is compounded when your STAB is a Normal type move. However, Tri Attack and Hidden Power Water, while a strange combination, is only walled by Empoleon and Shedinja, who are very rare. Hidden Power Water deals massive damage to Tyranitar, Heatran, and can even OHKO Gengar after a boost with some prior damage. Another Hidden Power that preys on a weakness that both Tyranitar and Heatran share is Ground. It also hits Jirachi and Metagross, but this leaves you a sitting duck against Gengar and Rotom. This is not a recommended option, but viable nonetheless. Tri Attack and Dark Pulse work as well, especially if you fear bulky Ghosts like the new Rotom Appliances ruining your sweep. Being walled by Tyranitar and Heatran isn't a very good idea, as they are very common, so it is strongly recommended that Hidden Power Water be your choice. However, your attack selection should be dependent on team combinations. </p>
If Blissey is stupid enough to try and status you, you now have a free Substitute against a completely helpless Blissey.
<p> As previously stated, Porygon-Z is frail and easily revenge killed. Because of this, sometimes it's just simpler to Substitute on an expected switch rather than trying to predict your opponent's response. Porygon-Z has perfect type coverage with these three moves, so he doesn't miss the moveslot much. Tri Attack for STAB, Dark Pulse hits Ghosts, and Hidden Power Fighting hits Steels and Rocks. You know the drill by now. </p>
<p> The item choice is difficult. Leftovers allows you to make more Substitutes than you normally would. Salac Berry gives you a nice Speed boost, bringing you up to 459 Speed. This outruns all Scarfed base 100's and anything slower. However, with only 369 Special Attack, which is peanuts compared to other Porygon-Z sets, you might want to try using a Petaya Berry to boost that to a more usable 553. Adaptability makes Tri Attack very powerful, but Download is usable on this set. Usually the pokemon who run from Porygon-Z have low Special Defense, so typically the targets you will be forcing out will give you a Special Attack boost. This, coupled with the Substitute will make Porygon-Z a very fearsome threat. Tri Attack is actually more powerful with the Download boost than with the Adaptability boost, so in many cases Download will serve you better.</p>
Like every other set, Tri Attack is for that massively powerful STAB attack, while Dark Pulse hits Ghosts, and Hidden Power Fighting hits Rocks and Steels for super effective damage.
<p> The biggest letdown is Porygon-Z's average Speed. 306 isn't terribly high, and it is outrun by many Pokemon. This makes it difficult to sweep some of the faster teams, but it is by no means a useless set. Against a slower team, you will likely rip over half of it to shreds before you succumb to their attacks. Because of this annoying problem, you can run a Modest nature and use Agility over Nasty Plot. You'll outrun everything in the game and still have a Special Attack stat of 405 to work off of, bolstered by the Life Orb.</p>
With a 204 base power attack at it's disposal, Porygon-Z's below average base 80 Attack doesn't look so shabby anymore.
After one Sharpen boost, Porygon-Z has over 500 Attack.
This allows it to guarantee a OHKO on Blissey with Return, as long as it has taken Stealth Rock damage.
After you have done this, attempt to sweep your opponent, using your ridiculously powerful Return on Special Defense oriented Pokemon, and using your special attacks to destroy physical walls.
Modest gives huge attack power, but dooms you to be slower than all those 280 Speed Pokemon.
Its biggest hitch is it's low Speed, but if you can get past this, you'll be very impressed. It can 2HKO every Pokemon in the entire game.
Spiritomb makes a more than decent switch-in to any Porygon-Z set.
Blissey is a decent option, but only if you have Thunder Wave.
<p> Basically take advantage of its average Speed and hit it with whatever you can. That's about as close to countering a Porygon-Z as it gets. </p>
- Also, all gender references should be "it" because Porygon-Z is genderless.

Alright, I think that's everything. This is still well done, it just needs more proofreading.

EDIT: No Vaccum Wave

Porygon-Z gets VACUUM WAVE O_O wow, I didn't know that. Cool. Might be good on the Nasty Plot set, and it'd give you an excuse to run Modest nature.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Oops, that was an accident, it doens't get Vaccum Wave. I could've sworn it got it from the Move Tutor thread...I'll edit that out.

EDIT: I found something else that you need to change:

You keep on saying that Porygon-Z is incredibly frail in the analysis. However, one thing to note is that a 0/0 P-Z has a defense tier that's very close to 0/0 Heracross, who people seem to think is pretty bulky for a sweeper.

Just for proof:

Defense Tiers

Porygon-Z 114.47
Heracross 114.71

Special Defense Tiers

Porygon-Z 115.05
Heracross 116.75

I believe that this means that, against neutral attacks, Porygon-Z only takes 3% more than Heracross. Its Special Defense tiers are a little worse, taking about 17% more than Heracross, but it's still not terrible for a sweeper.

Another Pokemon we can compare P-Z to is Starmie. Let's say for a second that we have a 0/0 P-Z, and a 252/0 Starmie.

Defense Tiers

Porygon-Z 114.47
Starmie 116.55

This is a difference of about 20%, but if Porygon-Z had the same spread, its Defense Tier is only .7 lower.

Special Defense Tiers

Porygon-Z 115.05
Starmie 116.55

This is only a difference of about 15%, but if Porygon-Z had the same spread, its Special Defense tier would be 116.98, which is letting him take about 4% less than Starmie.

From this, you should see that Porygon-Z's defenses really aren't that bad, and I'd consider them as average, instead of frail.

Now, I realize that Porygon-Z has much less resistances, and that is already noted in your analysis. However, you should mention that the defensive stats aren't necessarily bad.

Are you suggesting that I "praise" his defenses a bit, or should I make a slower Nasty Plot set with more HP EVs...?

Hidden Power Water is a good option. I've actually used it on my Nasty Plotting Toxicroak (for the Rain team).

Anyway, skiddle... No Mixed agility set? I thought something like:

Return / Tri Attack / Something / Agility @ Life Orb + Download was a potent set (never tested it but it seems like it could work). Any ideas?
The only reason you would go mixed is for Blissey, and whats the point if it can just outstall you if it switches in on the agility?

Don't worry corrupted, the only Mixed set we have on here is the Sharpen one, and I playtested it... it's simply amazing. Like I stated before, it hits as hard as Choice Band Heracross and Salamence's Life Orb Outrage after that Sharpen boost.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not suggesting that you "praise" his defenses. Just remove things saying that he's incredibly frail, because it's not true.

OK Bologo, I changed it. Now I said "lack of resistances" which really is the problem after all, not Porygon-Z's 85/70/75 defenses.

Yeah, I have been kind of noticing it isn't exactly frail... the Sub Salac one can actually tank Scarftran's Fire Blast and still have enough HP to Substitute afterwards, getting your Salac Boost. (on average)

Actually, more damage calculations reveal that even 0/0 Porygon-Z can survive Heatran's Fire Blast all the time, and has a 59% of surviving even with Stealth Rock down!

I've been testing this. The agility Mixed sweeper is BOMB... shit is so nasty. I've been using 252 Atk / 192 Spe / 64 SpAtk, Rash

I wanted enough speed to outspeed gyarados before a DD, and ScarfGar after agility. So far its been Agility, Return, Tri Attack and HP water with Life Orb. Its been getting plenty of sweeps. I've been using Download, because it powers up HP Water alot..

Why do you have two normal attacks though, isn't that fairly poor type coverage? I suppose if you run Download it is mandatory to have both physical and special normal attacks, but really... I think having Adaptability Return is enough.

I am going to test your Porygon-Z thing though. Sounds weird, but it could work. I think an alternate EV spread on the Sharpen set is what I am going to do, with Agility over Sharpen... unless Tri Attack over Ice Beam and Water over Fighting is THAT much more effective.

Anyways, I redid a lot of the comments, because they sounded quite stupid. Revel in how much better it is now.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The reason PZ is frail and Heracross is bulky is because Heracross actually has a resistance or two to work with... that and SPECIAL DEFENSE!

It's not fraility that bites him in the ass, it's that he can switch in on... no move in OU.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
The reason PZ is frail and Heracross is bulky is because Heracross actually has a resistance or two to work with... that and SPECIAL DEFENSE!

It's not fraility that bites him in the ass, it's that he can switch in on... no move in OU.
If you would read my post, you'd see that I actually mentioned that. Also, he obviously CAN switch in on a move in OU. Let's see, how about any support move? Or how about a Ghost move? Heh, I outlined this stuff in my post before dude...

Also, heh you say that "It's not frailty that bites him in the ass", but you also imply that Porygon-Z has no Special Defense...I must say Chris, that's a little disappointing.

OK Bologo, I changed it. Now I said "lack of resistances" which really is the problem after all, not Porygon-Z's 85/70/75 defenses.

Yeah, I have been kind of noticing it isn't exactly frail... the Sub Salac one can actually tank Scarftran's Fire Blast and still have enough HP to Substitute afterwards, getting your Salac Boost. (on average)

Actually, more damage calculations reveal that even 0/0 Porygon-Z can survive Heatran's Fire Blast all the time, and has a 59% of surviving even with Stealth Rock down!
Look chris... Heatran's Fire Blast doesn't kill Porygon-Z, that's not exactly frail.

And Bologo, do you think I improved the comments? I took out a lot of unprofessional material like "stuff" and "homely" and other assorted phrases. It's a lot cleaner up now.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Porygon-Z's defenses aren't exactly terrible, but due to its lack of resistances
<p> The item choice is difficult. Leftovers allows you to make more Substitutes than you normally would. Salac Berry gives you a nice Speed boost, bringing you up to 459 Speed. This outruns all Scarfed base 100's and anything slower. However, with only 369 Special Attack, which is peanuts compared to other Porygon-Z sets, you might want to try using a Petaya Berry to boost that to a more usable 553. Adaptability makes Tri Attack very powerful, but Download is usable on this set. Usually the pokemon who run from Porygon-Z have low Special Defense, so typically the targets you will be forcing out will give you a Special Attack boost. This, coupled with the Substitute will make Porygon-Z a very fearsome threat. Tri Attack is actually more powerful with the Download boost than with the Adaptability boost, so in many cases Download will serve you better.</p>
After one Sharpen boost, Porygon-Z has over 500 Attack.
Its biggest hitch is its low Speed, but if you can get past this, you'll be very impressed.
Its lack of resistances as a Normal-type and its average Speed make it slightly easier to handle. Being weak to both Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch helps too.
Also, if you have the option of putting Agility over Nasty Plot on the "Nasty Plot" set, you should probably change the name.

This looks a lot more professional. You just need to fix up your distinctions between "it's" and "its". And don't forget your <p> and </p> tags! Without those, it won't even show up on the SCMS when we put it there (I know you only forgot one, but it's sitll important).

Good job though.

Aw hamburgers... fixing... :/

EDIT: I don't get it... in real life, I never write "it's" but on the computer, I always do...

EDIT 2: Any opinions on the order I have put the sets in? Should I move Sub Salac above the Trick set? Should I move the Sharpen Sweeper from the bottom? Is Nasty Plot and Agility better than Sub, Three Attacks?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Doesn't Porygon-Z get Vacuum Wave in Platinum??? That could be used over Hidden Power Fighting, and helps when up against a revenge killer like Weavile.
No.

Please don't suggest things unless you have at least done _some_ research.

<p>Thunderbolt and Ice Beam allow you to deal with Salamence and Gyarados respectively
Shouldnt it be " Thunderbolt and Ice Beam allow you to deal with Gyarados and Salamence resoectively"? Cause T-Bolt is for Gyara and IBeam is for Mence.

P.S. Aww you didnt change your avvy Twash :(

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You should mention on either the Nasty Plot + Substitute + Salac Set or the Agility set that Agility + Substitute + Petaya Berry is very viable.

I was running Nasty Plot + Substitute + Salac Porygon-Z just today, and I found myself wishing I could Substitute down to a Special Attack boost more often than not, lol.

Agility + Petaya also allows you to outspeed threats like Choice Scarf Heatran and beat them with a boost to your special attack. With Substitute + Nasty Plot, you would Substitute on the switch, and then watch as Heatran isn't ohkoed by HP Water, breaks your sub and then outspeeds you for the victory. If you choose to substitute first to the salac, you'll just outspeed it but you won't ko without a boost.

Using Agility on the first turn allows you to Substitute down the special attack boost and the ko heatran, which is very useful.

Do I need to dig up the log? This is how you defeat a Heatran with Porygon-Z.

Substitute first, in comes the Heatran or whatever.

Heatran used Fire Blast. Porygon-Z used Substitute (you're now at 50%)

Heatran used Fire Blast. Porygon-Z used Substitute (you're now at 25%)

Porygon-Z used Nasty Plot. Heatran used Fire Blast.

Porygon-Z used Hidden Power Water. Heatran fainted.

And then you attempt to sweep with your 740 special attack and 418 speed. Of course, there is always the problem of priority moves. This is why I prefer to use it against teams with Blissey, is because most of the time you can kill them, AND get the Salac Boost AND have a Substitute up afterwards... which usually means that they have to sacrifice their priority move user just to break you Substitute, and then desperately hope something else survives a hit to finish you off.

Agility + Petaya doesn't have enough power to get past Blissey, and that's a fact. The "Substitute, Three Attacks" set differentiates itself from the Salac set by having perfect type coverage. The regular Agility set already has a Life Orb, which provides decent enough power already (526 SpA compared to 607) and doesn't need to get to low health to do so. If you are that certain that an Agility + Petaya set would work, I will consider putting one up, after I test it a bit.

EDIT: Geez, every single match I try this "sub petaya" set, it fails miserably. It can't OHKO Heatran after the Petaya boost, which is pretty sad, considering there are loads of things tougher than Heatran. It's been three games now where if I had Sub NP i would have swept right then and there.

EDIT 2: I've played around 20 games, and there was only a couple where the Agility set was better; one where my opponent had scarfed Zapdos, and another, scarfed Gengar. Every other time I could have swept quickly and easily with the Sub Salac set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)