Battle Spot Porygon-Z Preview [Singles]

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon-Z is a threatening setup sweeper due to its near exclusive access to Z-Conversion, boosting all stats by +1. It has a good ability in Adaptability, boosting the power of moves the same type as it. Combined with a good movepool, passable Speed, and high Special Attack, Porygon-Z can dominate if left unchecked. However, even at +1, its defenses are rather lackluster, leaving it threatened by most sweepers. Its Speed tier also isn't very good for boosting, leaving it outsped by Choice Scarf users such as Tapu Lele, Greninja, and Garchomp as well as faster Pokemon such as Naive Pheromosa. Z-Conversion additionally allows Porygon-Z only one opportunity to set up, resulting in a sweeper that isn't very flexible and rendered nearly useless against something that walls it when it sets up.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion Ghost
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Conversion
item: Normalium Z
ability: Adaptability/Download
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Shadow Ball is used in the first moveslot, giving Porygon-Z a largely unresisted STAB move that at +1 with Adaptability is capable of obliterating Ghost- and Psychic-types while being less vulnerable to being revenge killed by Choice Scarf Garchomp than other Z-Conversion sets. However, this set gets decimated by Mimikyu and is more vulnerable to being sniped by Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch.
* Ice Beam provides excellent coverage, hitting Ground- and Dragon-types super effectively such as Landorus-T, Garchomp and Mega Salamence.
* Conversion is mandatory on this set as it boosts Porygon-Z's stats by +1 when used as a Z-move
* Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Porygon-Z to be as fast as possible after Z-Conversion, notably outspeeding Mega Gengar, Jolly Mega Salamance, and Tapu Koko, while maximum Special Attack lets Porygon-Z hit as hard as possible.
* A Modest nature, however, secures OHKOs that Porygon-Z misses out on, such as Hippowdon with Ice Beam. However, it misses out on outspeeding neutral nature Choice Scarf users, such as Modest Tapu Lele and Adamant Landorus-T.
* Adaptability doubles the power of Shadow Ball, allowing Porygon-Z to OHKO Aegislash and almost always OHKO Cresselia
* Download, however, can be used to potentially gain a second Special Attack boost, powering up all of its moves. It is much riskier though, as gaining an Attack boost could make Porygon-Z's sweep less consistent.
* Porygon-Z is best used late game, after its checks have been eliminated. It is also weaker to phazing and Haze, which threaten to remove its boosts as Z-Conversion can only be used once.
* Tapu Lele can mitigate Ghost-type Porygon-Z's weakness to Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, while dealing with Dark-types thanks to its Fairy-type STAB.
* Ghost-type Porygon-Z despises facing opposing Mimikyu, so dedicated checks to it are necessary.
* As Porygon-Z struggles against most Choice Scarf users, Pokemon that can deal with them make great teammates.
* Porygon-Z also has difficulty against special walls, so wallbreakers are greatly appreciated.
* Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock can provide Porygon-Z an easier opportunity to sweep, weakening opponents while breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash.

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion Electric
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 3: Shadow Ball

* With Thunderbolt in the first moveslot, Porygon-Z becomes an Electric-type, granting it a powerful STAB that can be boosted by Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain while allowing it to better take advantage of its defense boosts due to having only one weakness in Ground. It is able to easily blast through most Water-types and Celesteela, is immune to paralysis, and has little to fear from priority. However, Porygon-Z would then be more vulnerable to fast Choice Scarf Ground-types such as Garchomp and Landorus-T, along with those that carry Focus Sash, as they can easily revenge kill it.
* Ice Beam deals with Ground- and Dragon-types that Thunderbolt cannot touch, such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon.
* Shadow Ball is a great move to round out Porygon-Z's coverage, especially given the prevalence of Ghost- and Psychic-types in Battle Spot Singles along with few Pokemon resisting it. It also prevents Porygon-Z from being walled by the rare Alolan Marowak, who is immune to Thunderbolt and resists Ice Beam.
* Conversion allows Porygon-Z to boost its stats by +1 when used as a Z-move while also changing it into an Electric-type.
* Maximum Speed allows Porygon-Z be as fast as possible at +1, while maximum Special Attack allows it to hit as hard as possible.
* A Timid nature allows Porygon-Z to be faster Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T, while Modest allows it to OHKO defensive Hippowdon with a +1 Ice Beam.
* Adaptability is its most reliable ability, doubling the power of Thunderbolt.
* Download has the capability to power up all of Porygon-Z's moves, though it makes it more vulnerable to Haze and unaware than Adaptability.
* Porygon-Z is best used late game, after its checks and Pokemon that can remove its stat boosts are removed, allowing it to comfortably set up with Z-Conversion.
* As with most variants of Z-Conversion Porygon-Z, wallbreakers can remove special walls such as Chansey and Celesteela, while Stealth Rock setters can help break Focus Sashes and wear down opposing Pokemon to aid Porygon-Z's sweep.
* Electric-type Porygon-Z is horribly weak to Choice Scarf Ground-types. As such, Pokemon with the ability to deal with them are absolutely necessary. Such partners include Ice Shard users such as Mamoswine and Weavile or faster Choice Scarf users with super effective coverage, such as Pheromosa or Choice Scarf Greninja.

[SET]
name: Z-Hyper Beam
move 1: Hyper Beam
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Thunderbolt
nature: Timid

* When holding Normalium Z, Z-Hyper Beam becomes a poweful STAB nuke that bypasses Hyper Beam's recharge turn. Even after its use as a Z-move, Hyper Beam is still very threatening.
* Nasty Plot augments Porygon-Z's Special Attack, granting it the power to break down bulky foes.
* Ice Beam hits Ground-, Dragon-, Grass-, and most Flying-types super effectively.
* Thunderbolt compliments Ice Beam very well, dealing with Water- and Flying-types that resist Ice Beam.
* Maximum Special Attack lets Porygon-Z deal as much damage to opponents as possible with Breakneck Blitz. 252 Speed plus a Timid nature is absolutely necessary, as without Z-Conversion, Porygon-Z has no way to boost its Speed.
* Adaptability further powers up Porygon-Z's STAB move.
* Download allows Porygon-Z to use its coverage moves more effectively without the need to set up with Nasty Plot. However, it risks the chance of not gaining a Special Attack boost and Porygon-Z deals less damage against Unaware users.
* While it can be used as a sweeper late game thanks to Nasty Plot, this Porygon-Z works well early to mid game, breaking through walls thanks to the aforementioned Nasty Plot and Hyper Beam.
* Even though Porygon-Z's Breakneck Blitz is capable of breaking through many resists, it still appreciates Pokemon that can deal with extremely bulky Steel-types such as Celesteela and Aegislash.
* Setup sweepers such as Volcarona and Mega Salamence make great partners for Porygon-Z as it can break through walls for its teammates to destroy opposing teams.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally time to check this!

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon-Z is a threatening setup sweeper due to its near exclusive access to Z-Conversion, boosting all stats by +1. It has two good abilities in Adaptability, boosting the power of moves the same type as it, and Download, potentially granting it an additional Special Attack boost. Combined with a good movepool, passable Speed, and high Special Attack, Porygon-Z can dominate if left unchecked. However, even at +1, its defenses are rather lackluster, leaving it threatened by different Pokemon, depending on the type it transforms into. It is also outsped by most Choice Scarf users as well as Pokemon such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Pheromosa.

I'd mention that Porygon-Z has a pretty poor speed tier for its speed boosting, getting outsped by important stuff like Scarf Tapu Lele and Scarf Garchomp (you already imply that though).

I'd also mention that Porygon-Z only gets one chance to set up, so it's not a very flexible sweeper (unless we add that Nasty Plot set, more about that below). Basically, if your foe walls Porygon-Z after its set up, its totally screwed.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion
move 1: Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball
move 2: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

Because of the weirdness of Z-Conversion, I'd make the first Slot Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball, and you can explain how the first moveslot actually changes what type Porygon-Z will become.

* Shadow Ball is a great move, as Pokemon that resist Ghost-types are relatively uncommon. It especially deals heavy damage to Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Tapu Lele, Aegislash, and Cresselia. In the first moveslot, it allows Porygon-Z to transform into a Ghost-type.
* Thunderbolt allows Porygon-Z to handle most Water- and Flying-types such as Celesteela, Gyarados, and Mega Charizard Y.

I think we'll have to start off talking about the pros and cons of Ghost vs Electric Porygon-Z. I'll sum them up really quick.

-Thunderbolt in first slot: Gives Porygon-Z less weaknesses (only to ground) to better take advantage of the defensive boosts. Good stab that gets boosted by Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain and blasts through bulky waters + Celesteela, immune to paralysis, doesn't worry about priority too much. However, it leaves Porygon-Z really weak to fast Scarf Ground types (Garchomp / Landorus-T), Sash Grounds become a way bigger problem too.
-Shadow Ball in first slot: A STAB with very few resistances, OHKOs Aegislash and has a 93% chance to OHKO Cresselia, is usually pretty difficult for Choice Scarf Pokemon to revenge kill compared to Electric. However, this kind has big problems with Mimikyu who either revenge kills you with a bit of damage, or straight up murders you if it has Ghostium Z or Life Orb. Also, the Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch weaknesses can make it prone to getting sniped when weakened.

* Ice Beam provides excellent coverage when used with Thunderbolt, hitting Ground- and Dragon-types super effectively such as Landorus-T, Garchomp and Mega Salamence.
* Conversion is mandatory on this set as it boosts Porygon-Z's stats by +1 when combined with Normalium Z.
* Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Porygon-Z to be as fast as possible after Z-Conversion, notably outspeeding Mega Metagross, Jolly Mega Salamance, and Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T.
I think Modest is worth slashing in, the extra power lets PorygonZ guarantee some OHKOs instead of relying on chances. For example, Modest +1 Ice Beam always OHKOs defensive Hippowdon, while Modest has a 68% chance to do the same. Only thing you miss out on is outspeeding Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T, which to be fair is pretty big if you go with Electric Porygon-Z. It also misses out on outspeeding Modest Choice Scarf Tapu Lele.

* Maximum Special Attack lets Porygon-Z hit as hard as possible.
* Adaptability doubles the power of whatever move Porygon-Z uses to change its typing, granting immediate power to said move.
* Download, however, can be used to potentially gain a second Special Attack boost, powering up all of its moves. Should mention that Download is a lot riskier however, since Porygon-Z only gets one chance to set up, so crippling your sweep because you were forced to set up with an Attack boost a big problem. Almost wonder if Download should be delsashed tbh...
* Porygon-Z is best used late game, after its checks have been eliminated. It is also weaker to phazing and Haze, which threaten to remove its boosts as Z-Conversion can only be used once.
* As Porygon-Z struggles against most Choice Scarf users, Pokemon that can deal with them make great teammates.
* Porygon-Z also has difficulty against special walls, so wallbreakers are greatly appreciated.
* Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock can provide Porygon-Z an easier opportunity to sweep, weakening opponents while breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash.
Ok time for a controversial opinion: I think we may need a Nasty Plot set.

Nasty Plot actually has ok usage (around 15%), and there were some high ranking Japanese teams that were using it. I want some other QC members to weigh in though since I haven't used PorygonZ for a while.

[SET]
ability: Adaptability / Download

Basic idea is that Z-Hyper Beam pretty much fucking crushes anything that doesn't resist it. Unlike Conversion, this Porygon-Z can nuke stuff without setting up once. Nasty Plot is there because it makes Porygon-Z a much bigger threat to stall teams, which is nice since that's an archetype that Z-Conversion has problems against. +2 Z-Hyper Beam is so strong that it does like 73% minimum to Chansey, so anything without a resist is screwed if its slower.

Hyper Beam actually has a lot more usage than Nasty Plot (about 40% compared to Nasty Plot's 15%), so there are clearly people using it without Nasty Plot. Not sure though. maybe they're giving up coverage and just using Hyper Beam to nuke stuff if they know they can't set up? That might be worth slashing into the main set. I think if we slash in Hyper Beam on the main set, this set still has merit just because it does better against stall however.

Finally time to check this!

Ok time for a controversial opinion: I think we may need a Nasty Plot set.

Nasty Plot actually has ok usage (around 15%), and there were some high ranking Japanese teams that were using it. I want some other QC members to weigh in though since I haven't used PorygonZ for a while.

[SET]
ability: Adaptability / Download

Basic idea is that Z-Hyper Beam pretty much fucking crushes anything that doesn't resist it. Unlike Conversion, this Porygon-Z can nuke stuff without setting up once. Nasty Plot is there because it makes Porygon-Z a much bigger threat to stall teams, which is nice since that's an archetype that Z-Conversion has problems against. +2 Z-Hyper Beam is so strong that it does like 73% minimum to Chansey, so anything without a resist is screwed if its slower.

Hyper Beam actually has a lot more usage than Nasty Plot (about 40% compared to Nasty Plot's 15%), so there are clearly people using it without Nasty Plot. Not sure though. maybe they're giving up coverage and just using Hyper Beam to nuke stuff if they know they can't set up? That might be worth slashing into the main set. I think if we slash in Hyper Beam on the main set, this set still has merit just because it does better against stall however.
Ok. i think i got it all.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Ok let's do this one because I have time now and it's been sitting around here. Comments in bold, strikethroughs are things I would just remove. If Theorymon or someone else has anything else to add I'll wait but otherwise I'd say this is 1/1 once you implement this. I'm personally unsure about Download at all but it has some usage and has actual merit, even if it's way less useful than Adaptability.

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon-Z is a threatening setup sweeper due to its near exclusive access to Z-Conversion, boosting all stats by +1. It has two good abilities in Adaptability, boosting the power of moves the same type as it, and Download, potentially granting it an additional Special Attack boost. (I wouldn't mention Download as a draw in the Overview, it gets minor usage but Adaptability is so much better). Combined with a good movepool, passable Speed, and high Special Attack, Porygon-Z can dominate if left unchecked. However, even at +1, its defenses are rather lackluster, leaving it threatened by different Pokemon, depending on the type it transforms into (its defenses are definitely lacking but leaving it threatened by different Pokemon doesn't say much, clarify a bit what you mean here). Its Speed tier also isn't very good for boosting, leaving it outsped by Choice Scarf users such as Tapu Lele and Garchomp as well as faster Pokemon such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Pheromosa (barring Scarf and Naive Phero vs Modest PZ, Porygon-Z actually outspeeds these guys after boosting). Z-Conversion additionally allows Porygon-Z only one opportunity to set up, resulting in a sweeper that isn't very flexible and rendered nearly useless against something that walls it when it sets up.

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion Ghost
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 3: Thunderbolt

[SET COMMENTS]

* Shadow Ball is used in the first moveslot, giving Porygon-Z a largely unresisted STAB move that at +1 with Adaptability is capable of obliterating Ghost- and Psychic-types while being less vulnerable to being revenge killed by Choice Scarf Pokemon than other Z-Conversion sets. (I think what you mean here is that it's less vulnerable to stuff like Scarfchomp, I'd specify that here) However, this set gets decimated by Mimikyu and is more vulnerable to being sniped by Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch.
* Ice Beam provides excellent coverage, hitting Ground- and Dragon-types super effectively such as Landorus-T, Garchomp and Mega Salamence.
* Conversion is mandatory on this set as it boosts Porygon-Z's stats by +1 when combined with Normalium Z. I think "when used as a Z-move" flows better.
* Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Porygon-Z to be as fast as possible after Z-Conversion, notably outspeeding Mega Gengar, Jolly Mega Salamance, and Tapu Koko, while maximum Special Attack lets Porygon-Z hit as hard as possible.
* A Modest nature, however, secures OHKOs that Porygon-Z misses out on, such as Hippowdon with Ice Beam. +1 Ice Beam always OHKOing Hippowdon with Modest. However, it misses out on outspeeding neutral nature Choice Scarf users, such as Modest Tapu Lele and Adamant Landorus-T.
* Adaptability doubles the power of Shadow Ball, allowing Porygon-Z to OHKO Aegislash and almost always OHKO Cresselia
* Download, however, can be used to potentially gain a second Special Attack boost, powering up all of its moves. It is much riskier though, as gaining an Attack boost could cripple Porygon-Z's opportunity to sweep. While it's riskier, it doesn't exactly cripple PZ as much as it's just less consistent.
* Tapu Lele can mitigate Ghost-type Porygon-Z's weakness to Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, while dealing with Dark-types thanks to its Fairy-type STAB.
* Ghost-type Porygon-Z despises facing opposing Mimikyu, so dedicated checks to it are necessary.

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion Electric
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 3: Shadow Ball

* With Thunderbolt in the first moveslot, Porygon-Z becomes an Electric-type, granting it a powerful STAB that can be boosted by Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain while allowing it to better take advantage of its defense boosts due to having only one weakness in Ground. It is able to easily blast through most Water-types and Celesteela, is immune to paralysis, and has little to fear from priority. Although, Porygon-Z would then be more vulnerable to fast Choice Scarf Ground-types such as Garchomp and Landorus-T, along with those that carry Focus Sash, as they can easily revenge kill it. "Although" doesn't work here, think you mean "However."
* Ice Beam deals with Ground- and Dragon-types that Thunderbolt cannot touch, such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon.
* Shadow Ball is a great move to round out Porygon-Z's coverage, especially given the prevalence of Ghost- and Psychic-types in Battle Spot Singles along with few Pokemon resisting it. It also prevents Porygon-Z from being walled by the rare Alolan Marowak, who is immune to Thunderbolt and resists Ice Beam.
* Conversion allows Porygon-Z to boost its stats by +1 "when used as a Z-move" while also changing it into an Electric-type with Normalium Z.
* Maximum Speed allows Porygon-Z be as fast as possible at +1, while maximum Special Attack allows it to hit as hard as possible.
* A Timid nature allows Porygon-Z to be faster than Tapu Koko and Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T, while Modest allows it to OHKO defensive Hippowdon with a +1 Ice Beam, although it then is unable to outspeed the previously mentioned Landorus-T. You don't need Timid to outspeed Koko so that doesn't need to be mentioned, and the Timid mention implies you wouldn't outspeed with Modest so it doesn't need to be restated.
* Adaptability is its most reliable ability, doubling the power of Thunderbolt.
* Although inconsistant at best, Download has the capability to power up all of Porygon-Z's moves, although it makes it more vulnerable to Haze (and Unaware) than Adaptability. I'd recommend just avoiding using although when possible since it doesn't fit here
* Porygon-Z is best used late game, after its checks and Pokemon that can remove its stat boosts are removed, allowing it to comfortably set up with Z-Conversion.
* As with most variants of Z-Conversion Porygon-Z, wallbreakers can remove special walls such as Chansey and Celesteela, while Stealth Rock setters can help break Focus Sashes and wear down opposing Pokemon to aid Porygon-Z's sweep.
* Electric-type Porygon-Z is horribly weak to Choice Scarf Ground-types. As such, Pokemon with the ability to deal with them are absolutely necessary. Such partners include users of Ice Shard (reword as "Ice Shard users" imo) such as Mamoswine and Weavile or faster Choice Scarf users with super effective coverage (add comma) such as Pheromosa or the rare Choice Scarf Greninja. I wouldn't recommend it in an analysis if it's rare.

[SET]

* Although Porygon-Z's primary niche lies in its ability to utilize Z-Conversion, this set can be used to break through walls with an extra surprise factor. I'd just remove this sentence to be safe since this technically counts as cross-referencing other sets.
* When holding Normalium Z, Hyper Beam becomes a powerful Breakneck Blitz capable of obliterating even Pokemon that resist it. This sentence could be reworded, I'd specify that you're using Z-Hyper Beam as a powerful STAB nuke that bypasses Hyper Beam's recharge turn. Even after its use as a Z Move (add hyphen), Hyper Beam is still very threatening.
* Nasty Plot augments Porygon-Z's special attack (capitalize Special Attack), granting it the power that this set's coverage lacks. "the power to break down bulky foes" makes more sense to me since it explains more clearly why the boost is good.
* Ice Beam and Thunderbolt are Porygon-Z's best coverage options, as they cover each other quite well. I'd just make this two separate sentences explaining what each of the two moves are used for.
* Maximum Special Attack lets Porygon-Z deal as much damage to opponents as possible with Breakneck Blitz. 252 Speed plus a Timid nature is absolutely necessary, as without Z-Conversion, Porygon-Z has no way to boost its Speed.
* Adaptability grants Porygon-Z an absurdly powerful STAB move in Breakneck Blitz, although its coverage moves aren't as powerful. Reword this a bit, Adaptability isn't what grants it a powerful STAB so much as it just powers up its STAB further.
* Download allows Porygon-Z to use its coverage moves more effectively without the need to set up with Nasty Plot. However, it risks the chance of not gaining a Special Attack boost and prevents Porygon-Z from dealing as much damage against Unaware users. Here it sounds like Download actively reduces the damage you do to Unaware users, when I'm sure you mean Download makes P-Z less effective against Unaware users than Adaptability.
* While it can be used as a sweeper late game thanks to Nasty Plot, this Porygon-Z works well early to mid game, breaking through walls thanks to the aforementioned Nasty Plot ans (typo) Breakneck Blitz from Hyper Beam.
* Even though Porygon-Z's Breakneck Blitz is capable of breaking through many resists, it still appreciates Pokemon that can deal with extremely bulky Steel-types such as Celesteela along with others such as (and) Aegislash.
* Setup sweepers such as Volcarona and Mega Salamence make great partners for Porygon-Z as it can break through walls for its teammates to destroy opposing teams.

Ok let's do this one because I have time now and it's been sitting around here. Comments in bold, strikethroughs are things I would just remove. If Theorymon or someone else has anything else to add I'll wait but otherwise I'd say this is 1/1 once you implement this. I'm personally unsure about Download at all but it has some usage and has actual merit, even if it's way less useful than Adaptability.
Just a quick note Psynergy : Choice Scarf is actually Greninja's 3rd most common item now, so he should probably just remove the rare description on it :P
Is done my dudes. Should be ready for uploads if there is nothing else left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)