Power Of The Nine-Tailed Fox (Ninetales Discussion)

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/038.shtml

Last was in December.

Physical Movepool
Flare Drive *meh*
Quick Revenge *yeah right*

Special Movepool
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Overheat
Heat Wave
Extrasensory
Dark Pulse
Energy Ball
Hidden Power
Solarbeam

Better Special Movepool than in ADV

Support.
Scheme (woohoo)
Calm Mind (yay...)
Confuse Ray
Safeguard
Will-O-Wisp
Substitute
Swagger
Rest
Double Team *if not banned*

Like most other Fire Types *barring Flareon and Entei* Ninetales got a big boost. Scheme/CM + 300-328 speed makes Ninetales a good Special Sweeper for UU and maybe BL.

Ninetales
Leftovers/Life Orb
Timid Nature: 252 Speed/128 Sp. ATK/60 HP/68 DEF(68 Sp. DEF if your using Scheme)

Scheme/Calm Mind
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Energy Ball/Will-O-Wisp/Hypnosis/HP Ice
HP Ice/HP Rock/Dark Pulse

If Ninetales is used in the OU metagame (which it shouldnt because its out classed by Houndoom) then Scheme+Fire Move+Energy Ball*or the support moves*+HP Ice/Rock should be used.Your fire move should make Metagross, Forretress and Skarmory cry after a Scheme *you better be good at predicting*. Energy Ball will make Swampert and maybe Rhyperior cry. Schemed HP Ice will OHKO (based off the EVs) Salamence *who you tie speed with* Garchomp*predict it on the switch*, and Dragonite *just make sure it doesnt DD*. Hypnosis could work on the switch to put a physical sweepr to sleep *hopefully Garchomp* Wisp will cripple Physical attackers. HP Rock is so that Fire types wont wall you.

If BL has its own metagame, then use Life Orb here, as T-tar wont be alllowed there, and Abomnasnow won't be used because it'll die too easily there. I'd use Scheme*Or Calm Mind*+Flamethrower+Energy Ball+HP Rock/Dark Pulse.

In UU *if in UU*, Scheme/CM+Flamethrower+Dark Pulse+Will-O-Wisp/Hypnosis/Energy Ball/HP Ground is what I would use. Dark Pulse hits Grumpig, Hypno, Solrock, and Lunatone pretty hard. A schemed Flamethrower *or Fire Blast if you want* should 2HKO Aggron *Maybe OHKO*. But if you're still worried, used HP Ground over the support options. HP ground will also deal with Camerupt. Energy Ball will obliterate Quagsire and hurt Feraligatr and Golduck *Mantine will give you problems though*. Energy Ball will also hit Sandslash very Hard.

Ninetales
Adherence Glasses
Modest Nature: 252 Sp. ATK/252 Spd/4 HP

Flamethower/Overheat
Energy Ball
Dark Pulse
Extrasensory/HP Ground/HP Ice

Self explanatory. Use HP Ice if you fear Altaria and Gligar *or Glion if he's UU*

Discuss...

i believe the "standard" discussed in other thread was:

Scheme / Hypnosis / Flamethrower / Energy Ball

i'm liking AG though.

EDIT; beatan?

If you want to use Solarbeam...then...

Ninetales:
Modest/Timid: EVs in Sp. ATK and Spd *maybe a few in DEF*
*Leftovers/Heat Rock*

Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Scheme/CM/HP Ground

not recomended, but could work...

Ninetales @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Spd/6 HP
Nature: Timid (Spd+/Atk-)
- Heat Wave/Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Scheme

Ninetales basically outspeeds the UU meta, save for Manectric, Rapidash, and Electrode (maybe i'm forgetting like two). A lot of stuff will switch out of it (like anything that gets owned by Fire) and you can Scheme on the switch. With this Scheme and your diverse movepool, eliminate the enemy. Energy Ball after a Scheme makes Golem and Quagsire die instantly, as well as makes Feraligatr and Blastoise cry. HP Rock owns Rapidash/Altaria/other fires along with fliers. Most physicals don't have good SDef so a Scheme'd Heat Wave/Flamethrower should OHKO stuff like Granbull and Fearow (especially life orb version)

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Never, ever use Heat Wave. 10 accuracy for 5 base power is not a good trade, especially when there's nothing you'll be OHKOing with that extra 5 power.

Also why would you use HP Rock except for maybe Altaria (in which case you would use HP Ice), Flamethrower already does more to Fearow than the super-effective HP Rock.

Ninetales @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Spd/6 HP
Nature: Timid (Spd+/Atk-)
- Heat Wave/Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Scheme

Ninetales basically outspeeds the UU meta, save for Manectric, Rapidash, and Electrode (maybe i'm forgetting like two). A lot of stuff will switch out of it (like anything that gets owned by Fire) and you can Scheme on the switch. With this Scheme and your diverse movepool, eliminate the enemy. Energy Ball after a Scheme makes Golem and Quagsire die instantly, as well as makes Feraligatr and Blastoise cry. HP Rock owns Rapidash/Altaria/other fires along with fliers. Most physicals don't have good SDef so a Scheme'd Heat Wave/Flamethrower should OHKO stuff like Granbull and Fearow (especially life orb version)
Ninetales needs the Life Orb and a Scheme under its belt to OHKO Granbull or Fearow with Flamethrower (always use this over Heat Wave; 5 more power is not worth 10% less accuracy). Golem and Quagsire both die horribly to Energy Ball, but you have a relatively low chance of OHKOing Blastoise with it. Hypno and Grumpig are also a problem; no HP no SpDef Hypno will always survive Life Orb Schemed Flamethrower, and assuming Grumpig is Thick Fat, the same Flamethrower does 42-49% to no HP no SpDef Grumpig. Muk is also an issue, since no HP no SpDef Muk always survive Life Orb Scheme Flamethrower. Mantine also can survive HP Rock, and a Hydro Pump, while not killing you, will savage you to the point where a CB Quick Attacker like Fearow has a good chance of KOing you.

Other than that, though, most everything will die to you.

That's why Hypnosis is a really good choice. With the exception of Hypno you can put most of Ninetales' counters to sleep, since they're slower. Magnifying Glass and Fire Blast isn't a bad idea, it'll also give Hypnosis a nice accuracy boost. 25 more BP compared to Flamethrower and only 6.5 less accuracy.

Give her a Lum Berry and put Overheat in the last slot (after Scheme/Energy Ball/Flamethrower). Scheme when Hypno comes in, Scheme again, get cured of sleep/paralysis, OHKO Hypno with a +4 Overheat then sweep with your +2 special attack and Flamethrower and Energy Ball. Bit situational, plus Hypno might start Calm Minding on you. Could work though.

I don't really see how Houndoom outclasses Ninetales, since they require completely different strategies. Being the only fire type that gets Energy Ball instead of everyone else's Solarbeam, and Hypnosis to set up Scheme completely sets them apart. Houndoom will be more hit and run while Ninetales can status, set up, and sweep.

Any Hypnoscheme set should have Magnefying Glasses if it is allowed, the extra accuracy is really needed because that set really depends on sleeping its counter and setting up Scheme, although 100 base spdef gives it a chance to survive water attacks. With that item, Heat Wave should reach 99% accuracy 100 BP, not too bad.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ninetales takes hits better and is faster than Houndoom, I hardly think it's outclassed.

I don't see Ninetales make it out of UU, but it could be very impressive in that environment.

is Energy Ball + Hypnosis legal?

also, one might take the time to note that shiny ninetales is very cool.
could fare very well in UU with life orb, but mantine is a reliable counter.
whats the best way to bait your opponent into activating Flash Fire? (assuming scizor is BL and not allowed in UU)

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ninetales breeds with Smeargle, anything is legal.

I wouldn't use Life Orb, Ninetales is not exactly sturdy... the curse of being a Fire type, obviously.

ooh yes thats an excellent quality, thanks. Misty, other than life orb, what are you thinking on Ninetales? i dont like AG on it because then the excellent Support setups are overshadowed... also, it is important to give a shout-out to Dark Pulse Ninetales because Naruto's speed is enough to take advantage of 20% hax. Ninetales could somewhat work in D/P OU if a WoW is predicted from Gengar/Yono/Weezing etc. (force the Flash Fire activation), but for that matter i like Arcanine better.

Does flame orb actually activate flash fire?
It´s sad that you can´t use another item then, but it would be nice if it does activate flash fire.

^^^Even if it does, NEVER DO THAT!! Using one item just to boost the power of one move (or two) is NOT WORTH IT! Sitick to Scheme/Calm Mind.

For some reason, I don't like the fact that Scheme + Hypnosis limits Ninetales to just two moves. I would rather bypass one of them for Hidden Power [Ground] as any fire-type (especially Heatran) completely nullifies Ninetales, otherwise. Should Flame Orb work with Flash Fire, I'd do that.

You should add Grudge to Ninetales's support movepool as well since it's fast enough to do that. Draining EQ/Stone Edge from a physical sweeper sounds nice :D

Considering that Ninetails is one of the exceedingly uncommon fire pokemon, it already has points in my book. Flash fire is good for double battles in my opinion. And it looks cool!

Will-o-Wisp could go over Hypnosis because well Sleep Clause may be annoying and wow could tag stuff on the switch in.

A Sunny Day set could be used to change the weather because missing Garchomp and Rock types are annoying, but that is at best novelty in my opinion.

It would be very bad in Doubles because of the ever so present Earthquake, sorry :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)