[Pre-Bank] OU- The dream team 10-0

I have been playing pokemon since R/B/Y and I've always loved this game. I always just played the game and enjoyed it but I never really got into competitive battle until recently. I have tried making teams in the past but they just weren't up to par. But now I made this team. As you can see from the title, I go 10-0 with this team on PS. It works great in my opinion. Without further ado, here is the team.

==========================================================

Ra (Volcarona) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 140 HP/252 SpA/ 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Rest

I absolutely love this bug. I have never used him before and I don't see why. After 2 bug buzzes and a fiery dance, I can sweep a whole team. The EVs are used to give him more bulk and a faster special attacker, and a Modest nature to maximize power output. Quiver Dance is a fantastic move, boosting three stats at once. Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance provide strong, reliable STAB, while the latter even has a 50% chance to boost Volcarona's Special Attack. Resto-Chesto is to gain back lost HP.

Death Wing (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk /4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch

I gave him max attack and speed to make him a fast attacker. Multiscale to take less damage. I gave him the Lum Berry so I could get rid of an annoying status like burn or toxic.. Dragon dance to boost his stats, dragon claw because I prefer that over outrage, fire punch as a good move to hit some pesky threats, and thunder punch to counter pokemon like azumarill.

SpinCycle (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Discharge

This set is slightly more defensive, acting as a supporter. Volt Switch gains momentum, while Hydro Pump hits Ground-types that dare to switch into Volt Switch. Discharge has a nice 30% chance of paralysis, and doesn't force you to switch, meaning Rotom-W is the ultimate check to Substitute Gyarados. Hydro Pump is to get rid of some threats. Will-O-Wisp is to get the burn off and lower annoying threats specs. The HP investment allows Rotom-W to live Garchomp's Banded Outrage, the defense to make it more bulky, and the special attack to hit a bit harder.

Dig-Dug (Excadrill) @ Air Ballon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

This is what Excadrill does best. Laying on the pressure, spinning away hazards while still being a huge threat afterwards. Gengar and Aegislash don't even dare switching in to spin-block for fear of Earthquake. Excadrill's also one of the few spinners that can actually threaten stall, as very few Pokemon enjoy taking +2 Earthquakes, with Mold Breaker being icing on the cake. Rock Slide gives you bootleg EdgeQuake coverage, while Shadow Claw is run solely to hit Trevenant / Gourgeist, who block Rapid Spin, eat Earthquakes and Rock Slides all day, burn you and set up their Leech Seed nonsense. Max HP and Speed EV to make him a quick attacker.

Mom (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

This is the one pokemon I'm not sure of on my team. It works pretty good but I'm not sure if another pokemon could fit the role better. The main role of gardevoir is to switch into a dragon, mega evolve and calm mind. I added calm mind so I could boost some stats. Moonblast and Focus Blast provide perfect neutral coverage aside from a few dual typed Ghosts like Gengar and Aegislash. The final slot I have phychic for more coverage to more threats like lucario.

Excalibur (Aegislash) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance

This is a fairly common set for aegislash but I really like it. It acts as a good pivot and is good to get rid of some threats. I gave him the ev spread I gave him so he could be a fast yet somewhat bulky attacker. Shadow Sneak as a priority move, sacred sword as a powerful attacking move, king's shield to predict and lower attack, and swords dance to boost up attack.

Conclusion: I really like this team and it's doing very good, but I would love some feedback because I'm not sure if this team is at its best. Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D
Ideas:
  • Replace gardevoir with azumarill
  • Replace aegislash with gengar(Mega?)

Importable
Code:
Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Rest

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 29 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Discharge

Excadrill @ Air Ballon
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
How do you think an Azumarill would do instead of Gardevoir? It's way cheesier but if it survives the first turn it sweeps pretty nicely (belly drum) or you can go for the scarf set.

I originally had that but I wanted to have a mega on my team. Azumarill worked equally good though. Either one works on my team.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, I don't have much time; just procrastinating right now haha. Just quickly looking through your team though, you may want a Rapid Spinner, unless you plan for both Volcy and DNite to be one-time switch-ins. I know Diggersby is probably the 'Mon you want to keep the most, but...I'd recommend an Excadrill over him, something that hits 264 or 265 speed with EQ/SD or SR/Spin/Iron Head. He'll provide spin support, beats most common spin-blockers, and can OHKO bulky Washtom, who'll give your Aeg and DNite some trouble with Wisp.

EDIT: I mean, Sidakarya basically told it to you, but I'd recommend this instead:

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers / Air Balloon / Chople Berry
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head

Last two item choices are basically for one-time spins. EQ and Iron Head are all you need, you aren't gonna be beating Talonflame 1v1 anyway unless you nail it on the switch, and a SE Shadow Claw does less to opposing Ghosts than EQ (the main two blockers are Mega 'Gar and Aeg anyway, STAB Iron Head only has 20 less Base Power than SE Shadow Claw anyway against Trevenant)

Also, if you're gonna go for DNite I'd recommend Lum Berry or just lefties; Weakness Policy is cool but if anything happens and your multiscale breaks, DNite isn't gonna survive an SE attack. Also, it only has two main weaknesses, one having tons of high-base power moves (Dragon) and the other being 4x effective (Ice), making Weakness Policy less than ideal. Rock-type attacks usually aren't used against DNite, unless it's a Sand team or something, which breaks your Multiscale, leaving Weakness Policy only really useful against Fairy-types, who are immune to your main STAB and aren't seen too often.

I like Garde, you should go for Psychic > Shadow Ball, since Psychic gets STAB and still retains SE coverage on Gengar, whereas you're probably not gonna beat standard Aegislash 1v1 anyway.

Cool team though, man :] when I have more time I'll do a bigger rate.

Last edited:
Hi there. I can just give a quick look on your team, but I hope this helps.

First of all I notice, that you're running two Stealth Rock weak Pokémon. Stealth Rock behinders a sweep for both of them; Volcanora gets half of its health chopped off upon switch-in, while the rocks negate Dragonite's Multiscale, which is crucial for its success. I recommend using a Rapid Spinner on your team. Excadrill is the best spinner in the metagame, as it can beat every spin-blocker one-on-one. He also has very good type-synergy with Volcanora and Dragonite. This is the set I'd use, maybe over Diggersby.

(Excadrill) Air Ballon
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

This set allows you to reliably spin away Sneaky Pebbles while still hitting hard with EdgeSlide. Shadow Claw is recommended in this slot to beat Trevanant and Gourgeist, spin-blockers which otherwise beat Excadrill. I wouldn't use Swords Dance, since you don't have sand on your team. Excadrill also beats Gengar, including airborne ones, thanks to Mold Breaker.

Your Dragonite needs something to get past fairies, for as it stands it's terribly walled by Azumarill and Togekiss. I recommend using this set:

Death Wing (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
(the leftover 4 EVs should be placed in defence, to let it switch into rocks four times if you haven't cleared them off)
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Punch / Roost

The combination of Thunder Punch and Fire Punch allows Dragonite to break past almost every relevant Fairy- and Steel-type. Thunder Punch is for Azumarill and Togekiss, while Fire Punch is for Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Aegislash and M-Mawile. All of these are after a +1 boost at worst 2HKO'd and after a +3 certainly OHKO'd. Outrage is somewhat less risky, when you have a good way to bait fairies, but you could still use Dragon Claw to be more reliable. You could use also Roost here instead as you have it, since you already have a potent Fire sweeper on your team for stuff like Ferrothorn.

I like M-Gardevoir, but she's somewhat too frail to properly counter a dragon imo. If anything, I'd use a regular bulky Gardevoir for her ability to Trace abilities, which is useful when you're facing, say, a Multiscale Dragonite, as you can survive a +1 hit (or even +3 apparently) and burn with Will-o'-Wisp. Azumarill generally is a more reliable Dragon-check, since it's bulky enough to take a few Earthquakes. (I would say Togekiss, but I don't want to make your team even more SR-weak!) You can very well have a successful team without a mega, keep in mind.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Anyway, good luck with your team!

Last edited:
Other than what has already been mentioned, you might consider giving Aegislash a Lum Berry. I think you'll find that getting to +2 is great, but keeping it is even better, and with Lum Berry to keep Burns away, Aegislash can easily 2HKO anything.

Thank you soooo much for the responses. Really helpful. One question thou is what item should me dragonite me holding??? Cause I got like a couple of choices :P

Tokyo Tom

Hey man, just a few more things (I also got around to editing my last post here, just an fyi)

First things first, always set your Attack IVs to 0 on your special attackers, unless you're running some sort of Hidden Power. Most of 'em, like Ice, Grass, and Fire, you'll need to run 2 Attack IVs to maintain maximum power. This is for like, if you get confused, since it does damage off your own attack stat, you'll do less to yourself - and stuff like Foul Play too. It seems like a hassle, but hey might as well, right? :]

I really like the idea of the Vest on Washtom, seems like a cool idea. But I think for your team, where essentially every 'Mon is a sweeper or all-out-attacker, you should go more support/utility with Washtom, since it can check various stuff like Talonflame and Aeg that your team struggles a bit with.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 60 SAtk / 248 HP / 200 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 29 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest / Pain Split

Honestly, you're not checking +1 Mega Gyara with the set you have now anyway, 'cuz EQ n' stuff. But this helps you by comfortably checking Talonflame, burning Aeg (this Washtom isn't even 2HKO'ed by +2 Sneak after SR), and giving your team a good bulky pivot. 29 Speed IVs are important, to get the switch advantage against opposing Washtom going at 30 IVs. You either go Chesto Resto or Lefties+Split, it's really your choice.

If you want a more offensive take, then use a spread of 232 Spd / 28 SAtk / 248 HP, while going back to 31 Speed IVs. This lets you outspeed most 'Drill, who sit at 264 to beat standard Washtom.

For Volca, I think you should be going with Chesto-Resto if you're gonna use any type of berry. If you manage to accumulate enough boosts (and you've cleared Rock- and physical Water-types from the field), you'll be able to pull off Rests successfully even after you've used the Chesto Berry, completely beating stuff like Chansey or Blissey.

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 116 Spd / 252 SAtk / 140 HP
Modest Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Rest
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz / HP Rock

This outspeeds Mega Gengar after a boost, and beats standard Washtom and 'Drill with a little Speed creep before it. Alternatively, you can take a little off HP and bump your Speed up to 281 (stat, not EVs) to beat base 90s, like getting the jump on Luke if it hasn't evolved yet...idk .-. but it also beats 'Mons aiming to beat base 90s and Timid Heatran and stuff 'cuz speed creep. HP Rock helps against Dragon/Flying 'Mons, Talonflame, and gets a bigger hit against Roar Heatran, but that's about it. Just remember to use this spread:

EVs: 120 Spd / 248 SAtk / 140 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 3 Atk

Last edited:
Ok..thanks..but who are you taking about in particular to setting the attack IV's to 0? I didn't quite understand what you meant :P

Tokyo Tom

Mainly Volcarona (if you don't use HP Rock), Gardevoir, and Washtom (if you decide to use my set). If you want to use HP Ice on Washtom use 2 IVs, and if you use HP Rock on Volca use 3 IVs. It's a little confusing haha

Essentially your Hidden Power type and its power is determined by your IVs. So for example the optimal IV spreads for Ice are 30 Atk / 30 Def, or 30 Spe. For pure special attackers, you want to minimize your attack stat for reasons like Confusion and Foul Play. So, you'd usually use 0 Attack EVs and 0 attack IVs. Hidden Power complicates this, 'cuz changing your IVs changes the power/type. So for Ice, the lowest possible IV for attack you can do without losing any power is 2. So like, a spread of 2 Atk / 30 Def.

I don't think I can really do a good job explaining it haha, here's a tool http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/HiddenPower.aspx

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
excadrill is definitely a good choice but there are also defogger as well since defog is unblockable and you are not running your own hazards. So perhaps something like a defog areodactyl or scizor or even crobat can be useful. Speaking of scizor and crobat, although you have a plan to hit fairies with dnite, once dnite breaks its multiscale, you dont really have all that much to hit them with besides volc's firey dance. What I saying is that you dont have and steel or poison moves on your team. Also on rotom, I can see rotom doing well with assault vest but you might want to give it a way to recover with pain split. hope this helps

Just as a little note, Buzz Bug (On your Volcarona) is a sound move. This goes through Subs as of this gen. Not sure how widely known this is, but that's a huge plus (killed my stall Gliscor first time I ran into one, and confused the hell out of me).

I was looking at your current set up on Dragonite... and you have DD, DClaw, Ice and Thunder Punch... and you mention the use of Roost w/ Multiscale in your description... so I do believe one of us is confused. I get why both punches, to cover the two popular faries (Az and Maw), as well as the common Steel types (Ferro, Scizor, etc) and Thunder for all those water types that want to Ice Beam you. BUT without Roost, you can't switch him in on rocks. So... 4MSS.

Something to consider about Gard: It's already got a beefy Sp. Attack, why not train it's sDef, since you're going to use Calm Mind anyways? It would give you something to switch into Sp. Attackers that could take a hit better, without losing too much of it's awesome power (also, since its base sAtt gose up by 40 vs. the +20 to its base sDef, it's a more solid pre-mega choice). Or, just switch it out. My main problem with mGard is that it can't really make good use of its ability (Normal -> Fairy type moves), with the exception of Hyper Beam, and the only realy utility there would be to see if a Mega Gard could (STABed Super Effective Fairy Type) +1 Hyper Beam to take out Marvel Scale Dragonite (Based on variable EVs on Dragonite...).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)