Pre-Pokebank 6th Gen Offensive Weatherless Team

Hi, this is my first time building a competitive team, any feedback/suggestions will be much appreciated. The goal is to create an sweeping offensive team that isn't dependent on any weather changes and which can thrive under any given weather by eliminating threats as quickly as possible. All team members should have the capacity to deal significant damage so as to always pose the threat of a OHKO or a 2HKO, forcing switches and enabling the minimum required set-up for sweeping. This is just a draft though, and I'm still open to tweaking the overall team strategy. Thanks!

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpA / 252 Spd
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Moves:
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

This is a standard DD Salamence physical sweeper set. Dragon Dance boosts Attack and Speed when there is a free turn to boost, and the Attack boosts stock up as more Pokemon are knocked out. Best used when all threats are eliminated (i.e. Fairy and Ice Types), and designed for cleaning up the opposition late-game. Needs Rapid Spin and Fairy-Killer support though, especially against Togekiss and Azumarrill. Fire Blast may be replaced by Superpower (when available), Hydro Pump (for a Rain Team) or a Flying-Type move such as Aerial Ace. This set initially had Steel Wing instead of Fire Blast (for the fairies out there), but the move didn't give Salamence as much versatility and coverage as Fire Blast does (especially when Physically-defensive Steels come in).

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 246 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Moves:
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Brick Break

This is my scout, pivot and main Fairy-killer. Another standard OU set, chosen to counter Salamence's fairy and ice weaknesses with Bullet Punch. The goal is to deal significant priority damage with Bullet Punch and to enable scouting with U-Turn. The absence of Superpower in Scizor's Pre-Bank moveset has left me with a dilemma, as I still can't decide between Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Quick Attack or Acrobatics, and here is one area in which I need your opinion. Am also thinking of adding Speed EVs or building a Choice Scarf Set, a set with Defog or a Swords Dance Set with Acrobatics, but I want Scizor to be able to scout and pivot as quickly as possible while dealing significant damage and knocking out threats to Salamence.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 24 Def / 184 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0
Moves:
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Here is my take on the Ferrothorn Uber Support set. The EV spread balances between the Def and SpD stats, with a little more focus on Special Bulk. The main purpose of this build is to set up entry hazards, as well as to damage any switch-ins that assume a stalling Ferrothorn. The combination of Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs also aims to punish any physical attackers, while Gyro Ball and Power Whip are for the Bulky Waters or defensive Rock types that switch in. My only problem is that this is another 4x Fire weakness, so I'm still working on team selection and synergy. I am also considering Thunder Wave and Leech Seed if the need for a full-out staller arises.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
Moves:
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

This is an Offensive Rapid Spin Set, with Hydro Pump and Psyshock being the main STAB moves. I'm still deciding between Dazzling Gleam and Ice Beam, but for now Dazzling Gleam goes to the last move slot because of its ability to damage Dark types that may switch in on Starmie, as well as taking care of dragons. Speed EVs are a must in order to outspeed most threats and slower Scarfed variants; the problem is that Starmie will be found wanting in bulk. EV spread is still temporary, but a high Special Attack is desired so as to maintain offensive power and momentum.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
Moves:
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Baton Pass

Taking advantage of Air Slash's 60% flinch rate to set up a Nasty Plot, this set aims to damage most opponents while having the option to pass the Nasty Plot boosts to Starmie or Chandelure. Dazzling Gleam is another STAB move aimed against Dark-types and Dragons. The build is something similar to a Defensive Nasty Plot, but with more HP and SpA EVs for bulk and power and a Timid nature to give a small boost in Speed. Am also considering Heal Bell or Thunder Wave, depending on whether a full-scale ParaFlinch Togekiss or a Healing Togekiss build would suit my team better.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves:
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

An all-out Special Sweeper with low Defenses but very high Special Attack. Choice Scarf turns Chandelure from slow sweeper to fast revenge killer, and Infiltrator allows Chandelure to knock out Pokemon behind Subs and Screens. A Nasty Plot boost from Togekiss makes him nearly unstoppable. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball form the core of Chandelure's offense (being STAB moves), while Energy Ball takes care of Bulky waters and pesky Ground-types. Psychic in the last move slot takes care of Fighting-type sweepers and Poison-type stallers, but could be replaced by Hidden Power depending on coverage needs.

As for other team members, I am considering Tentacruel as a replacement Spinner / Special Wall, Skarmory as a Physical Wall and Spikes-layer and maybe Jolteon as another pivot (Baton Pass or Special Attacker set). Am also considering replacing Ferrothorn because of the 4x Fire Weakness, though I like its ability to wall and hurt physical and special attackers alike. That is all, I'm actually still considering replacing some team members and tweaking with EV spreads and movesets, so suggestions and feedback are most welcome.

Last edited:
if you are having trouble finding a good set for scizor I would suggest maybe a bulky mega scizor with swords dance or roost. Also since ferrothorn doesn't have much in the way of recovery I think you should replace either gyro ball or power whip. I think you should replace psychic with hidden power fighting since psychic and and ghost is very redundent stab. Lastly i'm not to crazy about the togekiss, it doesn't do much to contribute to team synergy. However if its role is important enough on your team you definately can ignore that advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)