[Pre-Pokebank] OU Team (Slow Your Foe!)

This is my first RMT, but I've been playing competitively on Showdown since around the beginning of BW. I still haven't the slightest clue about how to make good descriptions for each pokemon on my team even after reading all the guides provided out there.

So, basically, the point of my team is to set up sticky web and then find a way for dugtrio, pinsir, or volcarona to sweep. I don't like switching much except for smeargle's parting blow because everyone here is extremely frail except for excadrill.
The battle plan goes, smeargle spore, sticky web, parting blow to excadrill. rapid spin if opponents have hazards, use SD and EdgeQuake to kill their hazard setter, and then die doing as much damage as possible. Based on opponent's pokemon, sent out either pinsir, volcarona, or durant to attempt to set up a sweep

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Parting Shot
- Spiky Shield

Smeargle. The pokemon with the largest moveset possible, but horrible stats. He is here to set up sticky web (thereby slowing my foes). Anything else is just a bonus on this guy.

First, Spore is self-evident, it often allows me to parting shot away completely unharmed to use the sash and spore again later.
Next, Sticky web is the main reason I use smeargle, which is to slow down opposing pokemon to make sweeping much easier. Contrary pokemon are not widespread enough for me to frop this for SR.
The next move is Parting Shot, a move that does -1 to each offensive stat, thereby giving my switch-in an effective temporary switch-in. Parting Shot also has the bonus effect of phasing out annoying magic bouncers with normal priority since I have neither attacking moves nor baton pass.
Finally, I run Spiky Shield, my only possible replaceable move. It is helpful to scout for taunts and defend against fake-out. Also, if smeargle Parting Shot out alive in the begining (which happens more often than not), he can kill opposing physical sash/sturdy users later after their shash/sturdy have activated.

Smeargle's movest is unlimited, so there are infintie replacement options for this guy. However, the way I use him, only spiky shield is really changeable at all. I lead with this guy, sporing then setting up sticky web. If the opposing lead is grass type, I go straight to sticky web. Then I escape via parting shot to whichever pokemon fits best.

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat (SD? X-Scissor?)
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake

Pinsir is my main physical attacker, and I try to blast things apart with it. I love the flying type normal moves and the 1.3x boost, so it is my major powerhouse. I don't think there is much to say here except for possibly adding swords dance or x-scissor. The adamant is for the extra power because sticky web negates the need for jolly.

I run Close Combat to hit air ballon steels and pokemon like ferrothorn so I don't have to rely on the flying typed return. I'm tempted to put swords dance or x-scissor here because I don't really see the definite need for this.
Quick Attack, the Flying type priority that besides pinsir only talonflame gets. The 1.3x boost from aerilate plus STAB from after the mega-evolution makes quick attack have 78 Base power instead of 40. That is close to extremespeed, with the wide variety of flying-weak pokemon running around, it often has more power than extremespeed(which cannot SE anything). Typically, this is for nongrounded pokemon who don't get slowed by SW and preweakened mons.
Return. The strongest viable physical normal type move now becomes flying on pinsir. Aerilate also gives a boost, so Return has 132.6 BasePower before STAB and 198.9 BP after STAB. Here lies a physical move without added effects that has a BP of just under 200. Remind anyone of a powerful suicide move? Right there, except with sweeping capability, better typing, and no suicide.
Earthquake is there as a powerful move to kill the everannoying annoying aegislash, klefki, and electric types without having to switch to someone else.

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic (giga drain?)

With steel physical walls like skarmory and forretress all over the place, I need a special attacker capable of destroying steels without being as narrow as magnezone. Volcarona here can sweep a team after destroying the steel types by setting up and then proceeding to destroy.

Quiver Dance is an obvious move choice, boosting speed and special attack simultaneously while also raising special bulk. This allows a sweep or semi-sweep to follow.
Fiery Dance is the preferred STAB move because of its 50% chance of further boosting SATK. It hits skarmory, forretress, and annoying physical walls for heavy damage.
Bug Buzz is the alternate STAB. I use this when I need extra power because it has 10 higher BP compared to fiery dance. Bug Buzz also helpfully OHKOs malamar, who is speedboosted once by sticky web instead of slowed.
Finally, we have Psychic, a coverage move. I picked psychic over giga drain for its higher Base Power, but the recovery from gigadrain might turn out more help in the long run. I'm not too sure here, so this moveslot is up for grabs by any valid coverage move.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Excadrill is here for the Spin support. That's his main focus, but once in a while I manage to set up swords dance (usually because the foe is still sleeping from smeargle's spore) and start trying to soften the enemy's team. EdgeQuake(pardon the name) is there to try breaking through spinblockers.

Obviously, rapin spin is needed for Spin support to happen. It sucks, but volcarona and dugtrio absolutely need it to function as they should.
Equake and Rockslide are there as viable attacking options (unfortunately excadrill doesn't receive stone edge)
swords dance is to set up in case of a destiny bonder or if the opposing pokemon is still asleep. It also gives excadrill something to do if the opposing pokemon can't touch him.

The air balloon is for a helpful ground immunity and to avoid sticky web and spikes on this spinner.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Entrainment
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge

Here begins the gimmicky part of my team. I use my max speed entrainment and then hopefully die. Dugtrio switches in free because Durant died. If the opponent does not kill me, I can just keep entrainmenting because the opponent either switches or is truanted. The only problem here is volturn.

If dugtrio is used for his sash, this is usually a last resort fast pokemon to finish off crippled pokemon. With maximum speed and decent Attack, he is very effective for both of his roles.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Here finishes the gimmick. He can come in free(hopefully) because Durant dies. Dugtrio then proceeds to use protect on nontruant turns and hone claws on truant turns until he is maxxed out. He then proceeds to kill the enemy(ies).

The gimmick aside, I can use this guy for its sash to stop devastating sweepers that have boosted their stats, notably Dragon Dance users, swords dance priority, or Aegislash.

I'd also like to say thanks in advance just for taking your time to read this.

Known Problems:
(These are known from personal experience on PS)
  • fire type weakness (however I SE that with many pokemon)
  • water type overweakness (SERIOUS issue here)
  • megakanga's parental bond kills my sashes (durant's entrainment strategy covers this, but being a suicide with low HP/DEF/SDEF stats he cannot switch into the kanga)
  • klefki, liepard, etc because i have horrid luck when it comes to them

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)