Pre PokeBank Volt Turn Team!

My first VoltTurn team! Please feel free to criticize and help me switch it up a bit. I want to be able to keep the pressure on while covering my options for most enemies I will run against. I thought about using either Zapdos or Jolteon but in the long run this is what I had felt was best. I am not too knowledgable about the Competitive side but from things I have read, this felt pretty solid.

Even though Marriland isn't completely updated with resistances, it gave me some kind of a base to work with.

http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#1505|1634|864|857|1597|1592|

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EV: 232HP / 60SpAtk / 216Spd
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Hydro Pump

Obviously, Rotom-Wash would get the STAB from Volt Switch, Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump. Even with Max Speed in EVs I can likely stay ahead of the game and use Hydro Pump for any Fire or Rock offensive pokemon, or switch out to Greninja for STABs in Ice Beam and Surf.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV: 194HP / 100Atk / 216Spd
U-turn
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Pursuit

My choice of Mega Evo to hit hard with the cookie cutter build. A little undecided on the EVs, I wanted to go full attack but the speed for VoltTurn seemed so imperative that I put the majority into Speed for that. Swords Dance to raise the Atk, Bullet Punch for STAB and for Technician, U-turn to switch to Greninja or Rotom-W in case I get into a fire pokemon and Pursuit to chase down a fleeing pokemon.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EV: 252HP/ 252Def / 4Spd
Volt Switch
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Toxic Spikes

I choose Rapid Spin on a Forretress with max Def EVs to act as a spinner in bad situations with me jumping in and out all the time and as a Physical Tank. Laying down Spikes and Stealth Rock to counter other possible U-turn or Volt Teams and just to keep added pressure on. I am able to switch out to my CMSub Sylveon if things get a little sketchy to Stall them out. Likely opening with Forretress to start laying down Entry Hazard and/or removing their own, and if things get sketchy I can just swap out.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant
EV: 48HP / 252Atk / 208Spd
U-turn
Brave Bird
Roost
Flare Blitz

Talonflame is here to by my Fire pokemon. I planned on using him mostly in late game or in the chance I cross paths with a Scizor or Skarmory Walls. Increased damage with the Life Orb and Roost my life back if I have to from LO or Flare Blitz's recoil damage. I really didn't want to use Rotom-Heat on this team since I had one and didn't have a better solution excluding Zapdos with HP: Fire (which I doubt I will obtain since my Zapdos is HP: Ground).

Sylveon @ Leftovers/Weakness Policy
Ability: Cute Charm
Nature: Modest/Calm
EV: 176HP / 252SpDef / 80Spd
Calm Mind
Draining Kiss
Substitute
Protect

I really wasn't sure on if Modest or Calm would be idea, but I split up the EVs due to its role as a Special Wall. Increased speed to hide behind a Sub CM a few times to Drain Kiss the life out of any and everything. My counter for Dragon and Dark types. I was thinking Leftovers as my Item of choice but noticed Weakness Policy and figured if someone managed to break my Sub with Steel/Poison, then it would just increase my Sp Def and Sp Atk which would boost more on my Draining Kiss. I have yet to play with that though.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
EV: 4Atk / 252SpAtk / 252Spd
U Turn
Ice Beam
Surf
Extrasensory

My go-to pokemon for Protean STABs with odd types. Ice Beam for Those Ground or Dragon pokemon that I have little answer for and for the lack of Grass resistance in my team. Extrasensory for fighting types like Mega Lucuario or Flying like Zapdos and all the other nameless Flying or Fighting pokemon. U-turn on his blazing speed to move out, of course. Expert Belt for increased damage on Super Effect hits with STABS.

Last edited:
Have you considered running Galvantula? Sticky Web could really be advantageous to your team. I would consider dropping Sylveon for Galvantula just because Sylveon isn't using U-Turn or Volt Switch. I have been doing well lately on PS with a similar team to yours that runs Galvantula. That said, please allow me to ask a question for anyone. What is the best way to deal with Entry Hazards on a Volt Turn team pre-pokebank? The only tried and true in-game solution I have found thus far is Xatu and I am not a big Xatu fan.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch

I hadn't really thought of it. I was only slightly aware of Sticky Web and never put the two together. That is a fantastic idea, actually. I just don't really want it to conflict with Rotom-Wash much, and it would require me to find another answer to Dragon types (excluding Ice Beam on Greninja, having multiple answers for things). Having Sylveon gives me another option and ''hard-switching' her out doesn't seem to be that big a deal from what I have read. I obviously haven't experienced it, but that sounds really fun to try out.

Great question too! I would love to know a more viable way to handle them. :)

Is Forretress considered pre-pokebank? Do not get me wrong, I think Forretress is an amazing pokemon and an awesome addition to your team. I was just under the impression that anything pre-pokebank had to be included in X and Y. Forretress is undeniably one of the best way to deal with entry hazards but he is nowhere to be found in X and Y obviously in the Friend Safari.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)