ORAS Ubers Primordial - Darkrai-Oriented team by PrimordialCrow

Hello everybody, my name is PrimordialCrow, and this is my Ubers team named Primordial. This team was actually made a while back and I did an RMT on it as well, but I decided I needed to do another one as I changed the team up a bit and realized there were openings that I desperately wanted to close; however, my other post was locked, so I decided to make another one and redo the entire thing word for word. Enjoy the read and my bad jokes, and please note that all constructive advise is welcomed.

Here are the primary Pokemon in the team:

(Italicized means it was edited/fixed)

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder

Darkrai was the first addition to the team and was the center-focus, reasons being that I have always loved Darkrai (him being my favorite pokemon and whatnot) as well as the fact that his deadly ability and signature sleep-inducer, combined with the fact that his speed is nearly unmatched (with the exception of revenge-killing scarf pokemon, Deoxys-S, and Mega Mewtwo X), is a force to be reckoned with.

Explanation of moves:
  • Dark Void: His signature move. Without it, his ability is useless. Get it because it's good and move on.
  • Nasty Plot: Absolutely devastating in Darkrai, as he is able to put a pokemon to sleep and can either attack to take it out if he can OHKO, or use the timing to Nasty Plot, or predict a switch-in which is very common.
  • Dark Pulse: It's powerful, 100% accuracy, STAB, and chance to flinch. Get it because it's good and move on.
  • Thunder: Thunder is a great move because it has high power and deals out a lot of damage to the two most common sleep talk users: Ho-oh and Primal Kyogre. It also lets me clean up on a Mega Diancie if I'm at +2.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Waterfall
- Extreme Speed

The master of the Weather Trio is fearsome even without a mega evolution (because it's banned, of course). Give him a Life Orb and he won't let you down. Dragon Dance is obviously what dragons do in their free time, but it's also useful for becoming an even bigger threat.

Explanation of moves:
  • Dragon Dance: Make your tough Rayquaza even tougher by making it dance menacingly. You won't be disappointed.
  • Dragon Ascent: Probably his strongest move as it has huge damage, STAB, and 100% acc, though it makes you squishier after use. Should only be used if you think you can OHKO or deal high damage and need to use this move.
  • Waterfall: Waterfall can quickly take out most Primal Groudon variants and allows him to become an answer to Arceus-Rock, while also giving Rayquaza a chance to make enemies flinch.
  • Extreme Speed: High damage, 100% acc, insane priority, what's not to love?

Deoxys-Speed @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Skill Swap

Almost always my starting pokemon and for good reason. Insane speed, able to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes both, and is a good taunter. He's always great against other setters as, due to his speed, he can taunt them before they even blink. This pokemon is great and I can't imagine being without it.

Explanation of moves:
  • Stealth Rock: Amazing set-up move that deals great damage against pokemon weak to rock-type moves, such as flying-type pokemon. If you run a hazard pokemon you're gonna want Stealth Rock.
  • Taunt: Hate hazard setters? No problem! Grab a taunt on the fastest pokemon without scarf and watch as the metal plants and floating rocks with dresses cry as they can't do a thing!
  • Spikes: Same reason you take Stealth Rock. Great hazard move that can be stacked 3x before it's unusable. I love when the enemy just lets me set up 4 hazards and then feels like there's nothing they can do.
  • Skill Swap: What better to do than to ruin someone's day? Set-up pokemon and, well, pokemon in general, very much enjoy their abilities and love to use them. Some pokemon build movesets specifically oriented around their ability. Feel like being a sadistic jerk or a troll and completely throwing their game off? Skill Swap is here for you. Magic bouncer in your way? Skill Swap! Primal pokemon ruining your team's movesets? Skill Swap! Annoying pokemon who's ability makes them harder to kill or raises their stats under certain conditions, like Moxie and Speed Boost? Skill Swap!

Sterben (Gengar) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Sterben... the German word meaning to die, and the medical term for death. Enough about language, let's get to what you guys actually care about. Mega Gengar's trapping potential is amazing. Not only does he make pokemon that can't hit him for too much damage wish they had never been born, but he counters Fairy types such as the common and annoying Xerneas.

Explanation of moves:
  • Protect: Survive a bit longer and protect him as he mega evolves.
  • Shadow Ball: Lots of power, STAB, 100% accuracy, and a chance to make Special Attacks do even more damage. Yes please.
  • Sludge Wave: Kill the fairies that he is meant to kill. Great move, good power, STAB, chance to poison, what's not to love?
  • Focus Blast: Mediocre accuracy but high damage. One of those high risk high reward situations, but not that high of a risk. Gives Gengar perfect coverage.

Groudon
@ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

Holy crap this pokemon literally saved the meta of Ubers. Before Primal Groudon, the other two members of the Weather Trio easily overlapped him, and the game was full of keys that killed giant monsters (I hate you, Klefki), Soul Dew Latios and Latios, Mega Mawile, need I continue? After a Rock Polish and Swords Dance combined with heavy defenses this guy makes people ragequit faster than the Fine Bros. ruining their career.

Explanation of moves:
  • Rock Polish: Use it 100% of the time that you're fully able to. But, do be careful. RNG tends to piss all over P-Groudon, which sucks. But, bad luck happens to everyone so don't take it personally. Groudon after RP is an unstoppable train that will destroy pretty much anything, including other Primal Groudons. Just be careful that you set up WHILE they switch in, that way you have the speed priority and don't take damage while you're setting up, as you'll die. I promise you.
  • Swords Dance: Increase his damage and make people immediately regret ever meeting you.
  • Precipice Blades: Honestly you can either take this or E-Quake, but the damage on PB is just too good to resist and it rarely misses. This move is so good with it's high acc, high damage, and STAB.
  • Stone Edge: Kill them. Kill them all. Ho-oh, Lugia, Yveltal, and other annoying flying types will rue the day they came to face a Stone Edge, especially from a Groudon with some Swords Dance stacks.

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

If there's one pokemon you want to bring to a team of pokemon to fit a niche, why not bring the pokemon that created all pokemon? I'll see your fairy keys and raise you THE GOD OF ALL POKEMON. Okay, but seriously now, Arceus is able to fit into a very nice offensive niche in which he can Extreme Speed down a lot of pokemon after just one Swords Dance, and can even face off against the all-mighty Primal Groudon as well as make a perfect partner for Mega Gengar and Darkrai.

Explanation of moves:
  • Swords Dance: Use this to raise his damage and make the god godlier.
  • Extreme Speed: GODSPEED. Okay but seriously, this is one of, if not the best priority move in the game. Great damage, huge priority, and what makes normal Arceus such a fearful opponent. Paired with Swords Dance he's bound to pack a punch.
  • Earthquake: The world will tremble at his presence. Shake the very surface of the planet with your god pokemon and show Primal Groudon and others who are unfortunate enough to be caught in it who's boss.
  • Stone Edge: Tired of birds pooping on your head? Throw stones at them until they bow to the rightful ruler. Has mediocre accuracy but the coverage and damage makes up for it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you had a good read and laughed at my bad jokes (I'm so sorry. No I'm not). All constructive advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Hello, this is fine attempt at a offense team, but its weak to many threats in the current ubers metagame, MMX is one of lesser ones to worry about, It looks like a offense build, however you lack an arceus forme which is really essential in the current ubers metagame, I feel alot of changes will have to be made for the team to function effectively, Kyurem-white doesnt serve much purpose on this team, except making it very xerneas/fairy weak. I will explain every change in detail in the upcoming paragraphs.

Firstly my first suggestion would be to run Skill Swap > Knock Off. This is essential for it to get hazards up vs magic bouncers, especially M-sableye, since stall without Sr is a pain to face with this team, Lugia keeps multiscale intact. Deoxys job is basically just to get hazards up, taunt/spikes then die well the rest of the team apply offensive pressure to the opponents team. Rocky helmet is also a choice on Deo-s to punish M-kang leads which tend to Deo-s's sash with fakeout. I would just invest into HP and drop sash

Secondly as I mentioned you need an Arceus forme in the current metagame, replacing Kyurem-white with an arceus forme is most beneficial for the team here, kyurem white is very outclassed in the metagame, aswell as scarfers being unviable and Extreme killer Arceus-Normal fits really well on this team, pairing nicely with Darkrai and M-gengar, an Offensive answer to xerneas/darkrai and needed priorityfor the team, improves your matchup vs Opposing offense and balance teams (your current build really struggles vs other offensive builds, Kyurem white has no use verus Hyper offense generally). SD Arceus + Extreme Speed Arceus is a strong sweeper in general and able to really dent opposing teams or serve as a win condition.

Thirdly on an offense team, especially one that doesnt deal with xerneas very well outside of groudon-primal, I would run an offensive Gengar set 3 attacks + protect, This gives your team more momentum and keep up offensive pressure, Protect enables Gengar to Mega evolve safely, Sludge wave hits Xerneas OHKOing Most variants after rocks, the other slots would be Shadow + Focus blast which gives gengar perfect coverage, Focus blast helps deal with Arceus-normal and darkrai, your previous gengar set had no way to deal with darkrai or arceus formes if gengar was weakened as it lacked destiny bond.

Furthermore as good as Yveltal is, I really feel Rayquaza > Yveltal would be much better for this team now, based on the changes above, Rayquaza generally outclasses yveltal as an offensive ground immunity, Dragon dance rayquaza is a good choice here, Adamant LO Aqua tail Rayquaza also OHKOs the majority of Primal groudon variants unboosted aswell as +1 Aqua tail Ohkoing Fast bulky Arceus-rock after rocks & Groundceus, Dragon ascent does a good portion to the majority of the metagame, Dragon ascent + e speed is able KO most xerneas variants aswell.

Finally, Double Dance Groudon is also an option worth looking at on this team, this provides much more offensive pressure than your current Groudon set, turning it into more of a wallbreaker, something this team could benefit from. Swords Dance provides a way for groudon to get around support arcues formes such as Arceus water, Stone edge + Blades provides perfect coverage and you also have a reliable way of beating lugia after rocks aswell as Standard Ho-oh unboosted. Fire punch doesnt really have any relevant targets that P blades cannot kill itself.

Summary

• Change Deoxys Speeds set to Skill swap > Knock off and Rocky helmet > Focus sash
  • Change Kyurem-White to SD Arceus-Normal
  • Change Yveltal to Rayquaza
  • Change Gengars Set to Protect +3 attacks
  • Consider Stone Edge + Swords dance over Dragon and fire punch on Groudon-primal
  • Optional change, consider Thunder > sludge bomb on Darkrai
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Skill Swap

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Aqua Tail
- Extreme Speed

Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Good luck with Ubers and I hope these changes help!

Last edited:
Hello, this is fine attempt at a offense team, but its weak to many threats in the current ubers metagame, MMX is one of lesser ones to worry about, It looks like a offense build, however you lack an arceus forme which is really essential in the current ubers metagame, I feel alot of changes will have to be made for the team to function effectively, Kyurem-white doesnt serve much purpose on this team, except making it very xerneas/fairy weak. I will explain every change in detail in the upcoming paragraphs.

Firstly my first suggestion would be to run Skill Swap > Knock Off. This is essential for it to get hazards up vs magic bouncers, especially M-sableye, since stall without Sr is a pain to face with this team, Lugia keeps multiscale intact. Deoxys job is basically just to get hazards up, taunt/spikes then die well the rest of the team apply offensive pressure to the opponents team. Rocky helmet is also a choice on Deo-s to punish M-kang leads which tend to Deo-s's sash with fakeout. I would just invest into HP and drop sash

Secondly as I mentioned you need an Arceus forme in the current metagame, replacing Kyurem-white with an arceus forme is most beneficial for the team here, kyurem white is very outclassed in the metagame, aswell as scarfers being unviable and Extreme killer Arceus-Normal fits really well on this team, pairing nicely with Darkrai and M-gengar, an Offensive answer to xerneas/darkrai and needed priorityfor the team, improves your matchup vs Opposing offense and balance teams (your current build really struggles vs other offensive builds, Kyurem white has no use verus Hyper offense generally). SD Arceus + Extreme Speed Arceus is a strong sweeper in general and able to really dent opposing teams or serve as a win condition.

Thirdly on an offense team, especially one that doesnt deal with xerneas very well outside of groudon-primal, I would run an offensive Gengar set 3 attacks + protect, This gives your team more momentum and keep up offensive pressure, Protect enables Gengar to Mega evolve safely, Sludge wave hits Xerneas OHKOing Most variants after rocks, the other slots would be Shadow + Focus blast which gives gengar perfect coverage, Focus blast helps deal with Arceus-normal and darkrai, your previous gengar set had no way to deal with darkrai or arceus formes if gengar was weakened as it lacked destiny bond.

Furthermore as good as Yveltal is, I really feel Rayquaza > Yveltal would be much better for this team now, based on the changes above, Rayquaza generally outclasses yveltal as an offensive ground immunity, Dragon dance rayquaza is a good choice here, Adamant LO Aqua tail Rayquaza also OHKOs the majority of Primal groudon variants unboosted aswell as +1 Aqua tail Ohkoing Fast bulky Arceus-rock after rocks & Groundceus, Dragon ascent does a good portion to the majority of the metagame, Dragon ascent + e speed is able KO most xerneas variants aswell.

Finally, Double Dance Groudon is also an option worth looking at on this team, this provides much more offensive pressure than your current Groudon set, turning it into more of a wallbreaker, something this team could benefit from. Swords Dance provides a way for groudon to get around support arcues formes such as Arceus water, Stone edge + Blades provides perfect coverage and you also have a reliable way of beating lugia after rocks aswell as Standard Ho-oh unboosted. Fire punch doesnt really have any relevant targets that P blades cannot kill itself.

Summary

• Change Deoxys Speeds set to Skill swap > Knock off and Rocky helmet > Focus sash
  • Change Kyurem-White to SD Arceus-Normal
  • Change Yveltal to Rayquaza
  • Change Gengars Set to Protect +3 attacks
  • Consider Stone Edge + Swords dance over Dragon and fire punch on Groudon-primal
  • Optional change, consider Thunder > sludge bomb on Darkrai
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Skill Swap

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Aqua Tail
- Extreme Speed

Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Good luck with Ubers and I hope these changes help!
Wow great advice! I'll immediately edit the team to implement your suggestions. And yeah, I know Kyurem-W wasn't the best choice and wasn't fitting in too well, so I'm glad that you offered an answer to that.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I have pretty much the same Ray + Mega Gar HO. Cranham already did most of the heavy retrofitting for this team so I'll just comment a bit in regards to move sets and spreads.

The main reason you'd run maximum Speed on Deoxys-S is to improve matchup against opposing Deo-S, although foregoing Magic Coat sorta prevents you from being able to do this. Running only 16 Speed EVs with a Timid nature and allocating the remaining EVs into Defense helps against a variety of threats, CB Ho-Oh and Mega Sableye just to name a couple. The Rocky Helmet works well with the Defense investment because you want to be able to tank the physical attacks you seek to punish. This helps especially against spinners because you can keep setting hazards but the helmet prevents them from being able to keep clicking spin. I'd advise either running maximum Speed with Magic Coat or doing the Defense investment with Helmet. Which you chose is dependent on if you want to be better against spinners and physical attackers or opposing Deo-S.

The Mega Gengar set you're running lets Ho-Oh in pretty easily, although ideally you gain and hold the SR advantage. Despite this, and because Mega Diancie is an okay anti lead to Deo-S, I think you should run Thunder over Sludge Bomb. This lets you clean offensive Mega Diancie if you're at +2 and gives you a way to lay damage on two common sleep absorbers that you don't have easy switch-ins for; Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre. Losing Sludge Bomb means opposing Xern can switch into you a bit better assuming you slept something, but I think the change is still worthwhile.

I don't really like water move Ray at all, but if you feel that you really need to be able to end P Don on the spot I think you should run Waterfall instead. You meet pretty much all the same benchmarks but without the chance to miss while you also gain the ability to flinch stuff. If you want Ray to be better at switching into P Don you can run a Charti Berry, but you become significantly weaker. If you don't run Charti you should probably use Jolly so that you ensure you are faster than base 90s and so you can get the jump on bulky Arceus.

Summary:
- Run max Speed + Magic Coat on Deo-S or run Defense investment
- Run Thunder over Sludge Bomb on Darkrai
- Run Waterfall over Aqua Tail on Rayquaza, and run a Jolly nature unless you use a Charti Berry

Hello, I have pretty much the same Ray + Mega Gar HO. Cranham already did most of the heavy retrofitting for this team so I'll just comment a bit in regards to move sets and spreads.

The main reason you'd run maximum Speed on Deoxys-S is to improve matchup against opposing Deo-S, although foregoing Magic Coat sorta prevents you from being able to do this. Running only 16 Speed EVs with a Timid nature and allocating the remaining EVs into Defense helps against a variety of threats, CB Ho-Oh and Mega Sableye just to name a couple. The Rocky Helmet works well with the Defense investment because you want to be able to tank the physical attacks you seek to punish. This helps especially against spinners because you can keep setting hazards but the helmet prevents them from being able to keep clicking spin. I'd advise either running maximum Speed with Magic Coat or doing the Defense investment with Helmet. Which you chose is dependent on if you want to be better against spinners and physical attackers or opposing Deo-S.

The Mega Gengar set you're running lets Ho-Oh in pretty easily, although ideally you gain and hold the SR advantage. Despite this, and because Mega Diancie is an okay anti lead to Deo-S, I think you should run Thunder over Sludge Bomb. This lets you clean offensive Mega Diancie if you're at +2 and gives you a way to lay damage on two common sleep absorbers that you don't have easy switch-ins for; Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre. Losing Sludge Bomb means opposing Xern can switch into you a bit better assuming you slept something, but I think the change is still worthwhile.

I don't really like water move Ray at all, but if you feel that you really need to be able to end P Don on the spot I think you should run Waterfall instead. You meet pretty much all the same benchmarks but without the chance to miss while you also gain the ability to flinch stuff. If you want Ray to be better at switching into P Don you can run a Charti Berry, but you become significantly weaker. If you don't run Charti you should probably use Jolly so that you ensure you are faster than base 90s and so you can get the jump on bulky Arceus.

Summary:
- Run max Speed + Magic Coat on Deo-S or run Defense investment
- Run Thunder over Sludge Bomb on Darkrai
- Run Waterfall over Aqua Tail on Rayquaza, and run a Jolly nature unless you use a Charti Berry
Thanks for the tips. I was always reluctant to put Thunder on Darkrai as the low acc is undesirable for me, but I've gotten a lot of people saying with Gengar on the team Thunder would do me much better, so I'll make the change. Also, I completely forgot about Waterfall and you're right; it does make more sense to put that with jolly on Ray. Thanks for the tips, Deoxys was made more defensive as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)