ORAS NU Princess Bride: A 1k RMT

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

banner, headers, and spotlight pics made by metaphysical

Hello guys, NV here with my most successful team to date in NU (no ladder peak because ladder is aids and I hate laddering though lol). This team was based around the common Choice Specs set Aurorus would commonly use. This is being posted as this team has had a good run (been around for ~4 months) and I feel the NU meta is stale stable enough to finally give this team away.

So as I already stated, the team was based around Choice Specs Aurorus. Aurorus' amazing Refrigerate ability coupled with decent coverage means a lot of common things in NU have a hard time switching in. Sadly, the reason Aurorus is criminally underrated is because it has such low base Speed and can only barely outspeed common walls that speed creep base 55s. That being said, there is little to switchin to this thing, making it a great wallbreaker.

With Aurorus being really slow, this left it susceptible to many offensive Water-types as well as Fighting-types. I went with Vileplume as its ability can leave the opponent crippled as well as Vileplume threatening Water-types with its Grass STAB. Vileplume also provides a nice pivot with Moonlight giving it semi-reliable recovery as well as Stun Spore crippling mons on the switch so Aurorus can outspeed them and hit them hard.

Next, I needed a more solid Fire- and Ice-type resist, so Hariyama was the obvious choice as well as being a SpD pivot as Vileplume was my pivot for physical attackers. Hariyama was also a nice mon for Aurorus as its Fighting STAB nailed the Steel-types that troubled Aurorus as well as Vileplume.

Next, I lacked any form of hazards so I went with a neat little set I got from my friend SilverReaper21. Offensive Stealth Rock Rhydon is really good as it combines the bulk of Tank Rhydon with the damage output of Double Dance Rhydon. Rhydon is also a nice solid Volt Switch absorber and a more reliable Flying and Normal resist.

At this point, I lacked anything that could take advantage of Aurorus' wallbreaking capabilities as well as the pivoting the other members provided, so I settled on Calm Mind Xatu. This gave me a semi-reliable answer to Fighting-types if Vileplume had fainted. It also has the amazing ability Magic Bounce ability, meaning status moves and entry hazards would be harder to setup against this team.

Lastly, I wanted a more reliable way of entry hazard removal that didn't typestack with the team and so I settled with Life Orb Special Skuntank. This mon also helped lure out entry hazard setters such as Rhydon, which gives Xatu trouble, and Ferroseed, which is a general thorn in my side.

Buttercup (Aurorus) (F) @

Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Hyper Voice

Earth Power

Freeze-Dry

Psychic

Choice Specs Aurorus is probably the best wallbreaker that NU has to offer as with its pseudo-STAB thanks to Refrigerate and its coverage, it has amazing power. Hyper Voice is the most spammable move Aurorus has as resists (frail ones anyway) have a hard time switching into it thanks to the Refrigerate boost and thus it gaining STAB. Earth Power is an amazing complementary coverage move, hitting Steel- and Fire-type supereffectively. Freeze-Dry, while seemingly redundant coverage, actually proves useful thanks to it supereffectively hitting Water-types such as Samurott, Lanturn, and Pelipper. Psychic is mainly filler, but it has the bonus of 2HKOing Assault Vest Hariyama after just a bit of prior damage.

Westley (Vileplume) (M) @

Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
Giga Drain

Sludge Bomb

Moonlight

Stun Spore

Vileplume is an amazing defensive pivot in NU thanks to its decent typing, ability, and semi-reliable recovery in Moonlight. Effect Spore, while seemingly haxy, actually can end up crippling the opponent with a clutch paralysis or sleep, allowing me to really snowball the team. Giga Drain gives Vileplume a reliable Grass-type STAB as well as have another form a recovery so as to conserve Moonlight's low PP of 8. Sludge Bomb allows Vileplume to hit most Grass-type resists such as Fire- and Flying-types. Moonlight gives Vileplume an instant form of recovery; however, it is cut to 25% under weather which, while uncommon, it means Vileplume cannot be as good as a pivot as it should be. The last slot is filler, but I ended up settling on Stun Spore as it helps cripple fast mons that may threaten Aurorus and the rest of the team as this team is fairly slow.

Fezzik (Hariyama) (M) @

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
Close Combat

Knock Off

Fake Out

Bullet Punch

Hariyama provides some much needed special bulk to the team and thanks to its high HP stat, it can invest very easily into Attack and Special Defense, making it an amazing pivot albeit with lack of recovery unlike Vileplume. Close Combat is an amazing STAB move, taking a chunk out of the bulky Steel-types that trouble Aurorus and Vileplume as well as hitting Rock- and Dark-types. Knock Off allows Hariyama to get rid of the opponent's item, further crippling them as well as slowly wearing them down with Stealth Rock support. Fake Out is really nice to break Sashes as well as Sturdy. It also gives nice chip damage once mons lose their items such as Leftovers. Bullet Punch is decent priority, KOing a weakened Archeops as well as a weakened Aurorus, but honestly I rarely ever click anything but Close Combat or Knock Off.

Inigo Montoya (Rhydon) (M) @

Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 192 HP / 216 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stealth Rock

Earthquake

Rock Blast

Megahorn

Rhydon was added as I needed a Stealth Rock mon and at first I was worried because I didn't want Tank Rhydon as I love the offensive pressure of Double Dance Rhydon. That was when SilverReaper21 let me in on his secret (I am not sure if he came up with the idea or not, but credit goes to him for sharing). This set aims to be a decent medium between the Tank and Double Dance set. 100 Speed EVs is to creep the already crowded base 50s while 216 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature hits a jump point in Attack. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP for better overall bulk. Stealth Rock is obvious as I needed it and it helps chip away at the enemies even more. Earthquake is a great STAB move as it hits hard with the investment, nailing Steel- and Fire-types alike. Rock Blast was chosen over Stone Edge specifically for Lead Vivillon, which would otherwise do a number to this team, whether it be the Endeavor or Energy Ball variant. Megahorn is to hit Psychic-types such as Musharna, Mesprit, and Claydol harder than Rhydon's STAB moves.

The Ancient Booer (Xatu) (F) @

Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
Calm Mind

Roost

Psyshock

Signal Beam

Calm Mind Xatu is a really effective sweeper thanks to its ability Magic Bounce, which means it cannot be phazed or statused via status moves. It also means that it can act as hazard control for the team. The EVs may look weird, but they are specifically made to outpace Jolly Sawk while have the maximum amount of overall bulk and the rest is dumped into its Defense stat to help the defensive stat not being boosted. Calm Mind allows Xatu to setup against more passive teams that rely on status to wear down the opponent as well as pressure special attackers after a few boosts. Roost gives Xatu a form of reliable recovery while getting rid of a few of its weaknesses for one turn. Psyshock allows Xatu to win Calm Mind wars against Mega Audino while Signal Beam beats out opposing Psychic- and Dark-types that aim to switch in on Psyshock.

Vizzini (Skuntank) (M) @

Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
Dark Pulse

Fire Blast

Hidden Power [Grass]

Defog

Skuntank is something that has made an impact in NU to say the least. This set in particular is really good as it acts like a lure (although not as effective as it once was since most know this set now lol) against common hazard setters such as Ferroseed, Rhydon, Regirock, etc. Dark Pulse is the STAB of choice as it has no immunities and has a nice little flinch chance if the hax gods tend to shed light on me. It also allows me to hit other Poison-types such as Garbodor a lot harder than with a STAB Sludge Bomb. Fire Blast roasts the Steel-types that commonly switch into Skuntank such as Klinklang, expecting to tank a hit. Hidden Power Grass is specifically used to hit Rhydon hard, OHKOing 4/0 Don after one layer of Spikes (or just a bit of prior damage). Defog is again filler, but I felt like it was necessary as backup hazard control should Xatu go down early or somehow I mispredict a hazard move and don't send Xatu in to bounce it back.

vs. yoyoyoyonig
While the opponent had some unconventional mons such as Trapinch and Frogadier, I felt they played really well against me and thus keeping me on my toes. Predicting me to go to Xatu was a bit obvious, but I could not let Garbodor set up hazards as I knew I would get worn down very easily. Aurorus was a huge thorn in his side however as long as I kept his hazards off the field, especially with his Mega Audino going down so early. While it was a forfeit, him and I both knew Aurorus had won with the last two mons being outsped by Aurorus.

vs. Toreutic
Honestly, losing Aurorus so early because I made a dumb play really cost me as it threaten most of his team. Piloswine proved to be a huge pain because it outsped Yama's speed creep, but nonetheless thanks to a clutch Sleep on Barbaracle from Vileplume's Effect Spore, Rhydon was able to squeeze out the win for the team.

vs. Killian Eleuterio
This game I was lucky to get the confuse on Jumpluff, but other than it was a solid game back and forth. The paralysis spamming was a doozy, but I feel like if he had predicted my Xatu coming in on Musharna, he would've still went for Thunder Wave as, thanks to Synchronize, I still would have been paralyzed, leaving my team in a very unfavorable position.

Disjunction - Probably one of my top friends in NU. You have always been a supporter of mine and I am glad that no matter what, you act like you are "one of us" even though you are NU Forums Mod and NU Room Owner lol.
Raseri - RAS!! I love getting to know you not only on a "we play mons" level, but on a personal level. Glad to see we can have a friendship that has evolved from just a lowly reg user talking to the "big dog" i.e. Room Owner.
ryan - First off, love the name change. Secondly, you are probably the most fun to be around. Even though you aren't UU rom auth, you somehow managed to be a part of our modchat and I love it. Also ducks are bae.
Zebraiken - I have to admit, I don't know you very well, but every time I see your name, I always think of Zebstrika and zebras in general lol.
Aladyyn - traitor
Blast - Another auth I don't know that well and while we haven't necessarily talked, I want to thank you for being there when I first started NU because you (along with a few others) were the reason I found NU (the tier and the chat) to be so homey.
boltsandbombers - I know you mean well, but get off my ass about my analyses. I will get them done trust me. Seriously though, thanks for reminding me of my "commitments" and being a good overall friend in and outside of C&C.
Can-Eh-Dian - Thanks for giving me the NU Matchmaking thread way back when as I am apparently destined to be the Matchmaking go with having a hold of 3, count it 3, tiers' Matchmaking threads. Hopefully one day you come back full force, but until then...keep posting those memes!
innovamania - Don't know much about you, except you are like global @ as well lol.
iplaytennislol - Like I said in my UU RMT, you are special because you are auth here and in UU so thus the double special shoutout. Sadly, you are not the only one with this privilege thanks to Colbrushie recently becoming NU Voice, but still :D
marilli - BYEEEEEEEEE!!!
Montsegur - A good fren, fare well in life's endeavors
Pokedots - Your name always reminds of Dots ice cream for some reason. Other than that, while we don't talk much I know you and I are good frens :)
Punchshroom -If paralysis is the devil, then freeze is Lucifer
QueenOfLuvdiscs - The Stalling Queen of CAP
Quite Quiet - I love that while I know 0 about tech and coding, you always seem so eager to tell me about it when I ask and I am glad you don't get frustrated if I happen to ask a somewhat dumb question.
Realistic Waters - Praise Jebus you changed your name back. Now if only we can get rozes metaphysical to do the same.
Shaneghoul - SHANEY!!! One of my best frens in NU, you and I tend to see eye to eye on anything whether it be teambuilding or something else. I am so glad you have risen to the rank of Moderator in the NU PS! room. Congratulations!
SilverReaper21 - Silvbae, another best fren of mine in NU, you and I build the best teams. Maybe one day in the future we can RMT one of those glorious teams so everyone can bow down to our awesome teambuilding skills :P
Sir Kay - Yet another best fren of mine, you are like my guidance counselor. You tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it while also being there when I need support. You also have me any time you need support as well and I am glad we can be there for each other no matter what.
SteelEdges - Same as innovamania...
Deej Dy - Deej, we haven't talked in forever (probably our conflicting timezones or your lack of activity idk), but hi!
HJAD - Was the last auth until the near end and you ended up leaving the rest of the non-auth to desecrate Stoned, how could you?
Jarii - Always a great contributor to Matchmaking
Rapture. - Matchmaking Queen y/y
Stoned M&M - Gotta say we don't really interact all that much, but I love the username and I hope to interact with you more in the future.
allstar124 - Allstar, I remember when you were a reg user like me and now you have become voice, yet you still act like a reg user in the sense that "authority" hasn't went to your head :)
blaziken1337 - Always a part of NU Dark Horse project, otherwise don't know you all that well :/
Brick Small. - Not someone I see all that often, but a good guy nonetheless
Colbrushie - Dual special shoutout, look at you go! Anyways, nice to know I have frens who are UUers that are just as invested in NU as I am.
Dentricos - Thanks for the request in the UU Lab. Hopefully your request will be picked up and done asap. Also #Cradily4lyfe
FLCL - A tour god from what I have heard, but I haven't seen you around or talked to you really, but oh well :(
GyRro - We need to hang out in NU more often...
Hootie - Where have you been? I rarely see you in the NU room anymore :(
Kiyo - the biggest noob of them all...all 400 lbs. of you ;)
LessThanThreeMan - We need to find our 3rd Musketeer...of NU! :o
Marikeinen - A remarkable ladder player; other than that, not much I know about you :/
metaphysical - This guy right here...this is who made the headers, the personal pictures for the spotlight of each mon as well as the banner. Thank him for my RMT looking pretty. Also you are another one of my best frens and I won't ever forget that :)
NotNova - We never really talk, but you and I always make sure to say hi and bye to one another when we see each other on.
Orphic - One of my good frens, although your activity sucks. You always seem to die whenever you just get back into contributing and I hate that because I love your contributions.
Teddeh - Mah Fluffeh Teddeh Bae
Winter's Howl - Howl bby <3 You and I were the Terrible Two / when I first started NU / And I am glad to see / That you are happy as you can be.

There you have it! My best NU team to date that is also my 1k post as well as being posted on the date of my 3 year anniversary of being on Smogon. Thanks for all those that have been here through my journey and may you guys continue to be there as I get to 2.5k posts and I hope to always contribute to Smogon and PS! alike.​

Buttercup (Aurorus) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Psychic

Westley (Vileplume) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight
- Stun Spore

Fezzik (Hariyama) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Inigo Montoya (Rhydon) (M) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

The Ancient Booer (Xatu) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Vizzini (Skuntank) (M) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Hey NV, cool team here and thanks for the shoutout! Just wanted to point out some things that could be problematic to this teams and ways to help with these problems.

From the looks of your second replay, Piloswine looks like a pretty big threat, especially if you predict wrong against it and click Knock Off instead of Close Combat. Hariyama is a decent check, but as a cool way to lure it, you might want to change Psychic --> Flash Cannon on Aurorus. This will allow you to catch Piloswine on the switch, 2HKO it, and get rid of a pretty massive threat to your team. Psychic really isn't necessary for hitting Hariyama anyways since you have Colbur Xatu and Vileplume that can deal with that fine.

AoA Samurott is also pretty annoying to this team, especially if Hariyama is weakened. It can come in on Rhydon, Aurorus, or a weakened Xatu to revenge kill and if your opponent can play around some pivot switches, it can bust huge holes in your team, so while it sounds wierd, I'm going to recommend you change Defog --> Sucker Punch on Skuntank. You're not really weak to hazards since you have Xatu, and Sucker Punch Skuntank can help with revenge killing Samurott after you've gone for Fake Out with a weakened Hariyama to get off chip damage. This will also just help with revenge killing faster Pokemon in general, especially when Fake Out + Bullet Punch from Hariyama isn't enough.

edit: Skunk already outspeeds Rott, but Sucker is still nice for faster mons like Archeops.

This is a solid team, couldn't really find many problems. Hope I helped :toast:

you should probably leave it to NU raters tho lol

Last edited:
Hey NV, Cool team you got there! Aurorus is not that much used but one of the biggest threats in this tier non the less if used right. It can be really effective at times and most of the time teams are going to have a hard time finding switch ins. However, I feel like you can still improve this squad a bit. Like you have kinda problems with pokémons that are generally fast since your team in kinda slow (With no Pokémon over 95 Speed which is Xatu. that isn't max speed as well.) and doesn't have the best answers to those fast Pokémons. Especially Aqua Tail archeops is a huge threat to your team.

• Firstly I think Colbur Berry Musharna over Xatu.
However Musharna doesn't make your team faster it lets you check things like Archeops and Tauros alot better which are threats to your team since your only switch in is Rhydon which doesn't have reliable recovery, it's generally the same set only without Magic Bounce and the Flying typing. What Musharna helps you check Stone Edge Sawk alot more as well since your only switch in is Vileplume which when that gets predicted gets 2 Hit KO by Zen Headbutt.

• Secondly I think Swords Dance over Megahorn on Rhydon.
How weird this sounds your team isn't that weak to malamar or Psychic types since you have Skuntank for the Psychic types and Xatu (or Musharna if you decide to chance it.) for Malamar and Aurorus can do huge damage to them with Specs Hyper Voice. However your team has problems with CroDino with RestTalk after Xatu dies because it can set up on 4 mons on your team. With SD on Rhydon you do not lose to CroDino after Xatu dies.

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Rhydon (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

For the rest your team is really solid and I can see how effective this team is.

Gl with your team!

Last edited:
Congrats on 1k fren! :) now a few things came to mind when I saw this team that struck me as a little odd but I will explain with a couple of changes! :)

My first is Guts > Thick fat on yama. Your team struggles with a switch in to scald, so having something like yama with guts punishes the idea of scald!

Secondly, HP fire > stun spore on vileplume. Your team struggles to hell and back since you have 0 klinklang checks, so having vileplume as a check / switch in will be extremely helpful.

Changing the EV spread on rhydon to check fire types, I'd go with this:
Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 136 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Megahorn / Swords dance
- Rock Blast
With this spread, you can check fire types more effectively and have a pivot now yama isn't thick fat, however also having a lot of offensive presence with 330 base attack and potential SD's. More bulk allows more longetivity for rhydon and in general allows you to take more hits, since it has no recovery, it's a good option.

I'd change skuntank's set ever so slightly also. Instead of life orb, running dread plate / black sludge means you're able to not be stalled out by barrier musharna. Example of this is Bouff vs tewmew here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-100634 where he almost loses since he can't wall musharna with life orb recoil. Another suggestion for skunk could be taunt > defog since you already have xatu to block hazards and in general, you don't have a particularly hazard weak team, meaning that taunt could help stop setup mons / hazards from happening.

Lastly, I'd suggest speed creep on your base 50 mons like vileplume and hariyama more than 20 / 0 between them. Since base 50 is a crowded speed tier in NU, I'd highly suggest running something like 24-32 speed creep in both of them at least to potentially win vileplume sludge wars and the like.

A lot of minor changes, but cool team! :)

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Specs aurous / Defensive vilepume / Av hariyama / Offensive rocks rhydon / CM Xatu / Defog Skuntank

This is overall a pretty solid team with no glaring weaknesses and who doesn't love being tagged by my boy NV at five in the morning ;] anyway, I agree with Jariis suggestion of SD rhydon, but I'd like to suggest another way of possibly handling the slight weakness to faster mons.

>

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass

Floatzel over aurorus gives you a check to threats like Archeops which in tandem with rocks should be enough to keep it from being trouble if played effectively. Also still gives you a rather powerful wallbreaker to take advantage of, and baton pass in the last slot lets you keep up momentum which is important when running a bulkier team like this one

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

If you decide to go with the above change, this let's you be lax with hazard control since t spikes arent really an issue and xatu forces a ton of 50/50's anyway. Because of that I'd suggest just changing skunk to the standard offensive set posted. This is nice since it gives you a check to musharna like mentioned above and a check to vivillion and friends which can possibly be annoying as well.

Overall nice team, cant suggest a ton because of that and the people above already touched on most other things I would suggest. Thanks for sharing this team with us!

hey ma boi NV

I love your team, and i love what you are trying to do with Aurorus, building your team around it, and abusing what its good at to give you an advantage. I especially like the layout and art, really cool stuff breh. Onto my suggestions (the fifth one already), i am going to critique each rate by each individual before giving my own, and what would be most optimal for what you are trying to achieve with your team, with your intentions at the highest of concern. PU User: Dundies suggested Flash Cannon > Psychic and Sucker on Skuntank. Im gonna disagree with these 2 suggestions because Flash Cannon only really hits other Ice Types, which are hardly relevant right now bar Piloswine. I would argue Psychic is the better coverage move because it allows Aurorus to 2HKO AV Hariyama, which is important for this team. I also disagree with removing Defog on Skuntank because, although Xatu does do hazards control, its hardly reliable. With a balance team that relies a lot on Xatu's defensive prowess to check Fighters when Vileplume is weak, its going to be beaten by the main Rocker Rhydon & Piloswine, pressured heavily by spike setters like Garbodor, its gonna be more help to keep defog just in case the pressure on Xatu is too much.
In Jarii's rate, he suggests running Colbur Musharna > Xatu and SD > Megahorn on Rhydon. Initially, i thought the swap to Musharna was a stroke of genius and could really understand his thought process. However, the more you delve into more fine details, despite the obvious advantages vs the likes of Tauros + Archeops, i felt like Musharna wasn't the most ideal swap. I derived this from your teams apparent lack of speed. Your fastest Pokemon till this Point was Xatu, topping out at a measly 270 Base Stat. Musharna obviously lowers this drastically, and as a result you become less balance, and more semi-stall, and extremely susceptible to High Paced, Hyper Offense teams. Unless you have checks for each individual till the end of the match (which vs any competent Hyper Offense Player / Team, i can gurantee you wont) it will be very difficult to win in these kinds of matchups as a result. SD > Megahorn isnt something im too fond of in the initial version of this team. You are going to need Megahorn so mons like Claydol and Torterra aren't getting too many free switchins. Sure, you can afford one or two, but carrying Megahorn and bopping both either forcing them to recover or attack puts you in a much better scenario, rather than click SD to be still walled by EdgeQuake resists such as the afformentioned mons.
In Teddeh's rate, he suggests HP Fire > Stun Spore on Vileplume, Guts > Thick Fat on Hariyama and Dread Plate > Life Orb on Skuntank. In his first suggestion, of making Hariyama into more of a scald switch in with Guts, i kinda of diagree in this regard. Yes, its important to have a scald switchin, but 8/10 times, the scald switchin is going to be your Water Resist. To add on this, the main scald user in NU right now is probably Lanturn, which is dominated by Vileplume, resisting both of Lanturns main stab's, If it clicks Ice Beam, you have a thick fat ice type resist in Hariyama to take it amply. But apart from that critique, i do like his suggestions. HP Fire > Stun Spore is definately the way to go on Vileplume, it lets you own Ferroseed should it try and take advantage of your compleacancy with Xatu, and hit what Teddeh suggested is Klinklang. It not only means Vileplume can check a weakened Klinklang, but there is one less mon for it to settup on. Because your team is so pressured by Klinklang, it can be abused to an unhealthy extent, and even if the advantages for Aurorus of running Stun Spore exist, due to the more defensive nature of your team, your priority should be to have good matchup vs all the meta threats first, then getting Aurorus performing its job properly next. I also agree with the Dread Plate suggestion on Skuntank, although i would crucially tweak it to Expert Belt > Dread Plate. The main reason Special Skunk is viable is because it can destroy common counters with special moves like HP Grass and Fire Blast. Expert Belt makes it an 84% chance to 2HKO Rhydon and a guranteed OHKO on Max HP Ferroseeds vs 50/50s. You retain the ability to not take recoil damage, Special Skuntanks main niche and the ability to outright counter Barrier Musharna varients. Best of both worlds.
In Rapture's rate, he mentions how you should replace Aurorus with Floatzel and swap around Skuntanks set to the Pursuit set with Taunt. I cant really comment on the first swap, because i dont like to change what the team was built around in the first place, it just seems kinda wrong and i dont think NV would approve. As far as the Skuntank suggestion is concerned, it does give you a better matchup vs Vivillon, but i dont think its neccesary as such. I would probably lead with Xatu, try and get rocks up as early as possible, and revenge kill viv with dual prio, so as far as defensive presence is concerned, i dont think physical skuntank is neccesary over the utility of a special defog set, which is much more important.

I guess ill get onto my part of the rate, and i do feel Xatu is the least relevant Pokemon on your team. It does provide an extra Malamar check, CM Crodino Check, a 4x Fighting Resist and an Offensive Rocker check but i dont think its all too neccesary in this team. Instead, i think you should focus more so on abusing the holes that Aurorus have opened for your team, by adding an extra special attacker, that really enjoys the holes opened up by Aurorus but also allows itself to abused the lures set by Skuntank, so you can always have a nice matchup. Im going to suggest Colbur Will-O-Wisp Hex Rotom > Xatu for the reason it adds a powerful fighting immunity, Pivot Switchin for Aurorus and something that just likes to abuse the precident set by a specially offensive core such as Skuntank + Aurorus. Aurorus pressures Rotom switches such as Lanturn and Rhydon very effectively, as does Skuntank, luring the likes of Rhydon and Ferroseed to hit it with its remarkable coverage. Rotom also returns the favour, and burns most annoying mons for Aurorus like Lanturn itself, as well as beat out and out the likes of Klinklang, which is obviously annoying since its a quite effective, offensive Aurorus check. Just like Xatu, it provides that crucial secondary fighting resist combined with colbur berry, which also allows it to check Malamar quite scarily, beating it out with a mixture of Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split and Hex. So if you cant afford a free Malamar superpower on your Rhydon, it might be viable to Pivot Switch Rotom in and get a burn before initiating Rhydon. This mon really furthers your teams offensive capabilities, as apposed to focusing on your defensive ones. It for example gets a free volt switch vs common leads like Vivillon, and provides an extra Flying / Normal Switchin, should Rhydon feel increasingly pressured. Rotom is the best of both worlds, you do lose a CM MegaAudino check (amply checked by Offensive Power of this team as well as Vileplume that can hit it with S-Bomb) and a Hazards Utility mon, but the amount of pressure you have versus common Rockers now means they will seldom be a problem, especially with a quite viable defogger which can last long term in Skuntank. The weakness' to this change are mitigated by its overwhelming positives both defensively and offensively. Common Pains to your offensive core such as Hariyama and Magmortar are dealt with comfortably thanks to Vileplume and Hariyama respectively, it just makes the most sense to have something to abuse the holes created by Aurorus, rather than it be isolated at team matchup as far as breaking down walls are concerned.

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe or 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split / Shadow Ball

hope you appreciate the effort i put into making sure you make the most informed decision about any possible changes you make to this team brotha :]
~HJAD

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
NV :3

I don't have time to read what the people above me have rated, and just tell you what changes I would make.
  • First I feel Skuntank is completely uneccesary on this team, as you don't really mind hazards, and Vileplume is able to remove the annoying Toxic Spikes anyway, and Xatu is good enough to block everything else. Because of this I would want to fit another win condition for the team since I don't feel Calm Mind Xatu is anywhere near effective as a sole win con. This also frees up pressure from keeping Xatu healthy for the late game so you can play more riskily against hazard setters like Garbodor. Thats why I would put Calm Mind Audino over Skuntank. An offensive lure set would be perfect for this team as you can lure in Steel Types and Fire Types that are able to switch into Aurorus's Ice STAB. The set would be Calm Mind / Fire Blast / Dazzling Gleam / Surf, with 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe and a Modest Nature. This set is able to lure in Ferroseed, Klinklang, Magmortar, and Piloswine which are all common switch ins to Aurorus as well.
  • I also would change Stun Spore to HP Ground on Vileplume. HP Ground allows you to hit Skuntank which is beneficial for both Audino and Xatu, while retaining coverage on Steel-types like Klinklang and Pawniard. While HP Fire may sound cool for Ferroseed, you have Xatu to completely wall it as it only has 8 Gyro Balls which you can easily roost off on.
  • I would also change Fake Out for Earthquake on Hariyama, as I really don't like Fake Out on teams without Toxic Spike support. This also gives you a way to lure in Garbodor to prevent it for Hazard Stacking, and getting reliable damage off on Skuntank as well. If you don't like Earthquake, both Facade and Stone Edge are other cool options, but EQ has come in handy for me before.
Overall this is a really cool bulky offensive team, and grats on 1K and 3 Years on Smogon :toast:

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Surf

HP Ground > Stun Spore

Earthquake > Fake Out

Last edited:
hi nv thanks for the shoutout

all these rates are so long and drawn out @_@ i'll try and keep mine short and sweet. biggest problems with the team are klinklang, SD rott, offensive rhydon, which some people have addressed but i think a problem that's gone unnoticed so far is just how slow the team is in general. you rely on skunk to bait a lot of shit and its not super efficient.

i'd probably go tangela > plume just b/c i hate vileplume as a don check and tangela checks all of the above threats pretty well while still maintaining speed control w/ stun spore. the spread would just be defensive w/ leaf storm / hp fire or ground / sleep powder / stun spore (leaf storm cause it always ohkos rott). you also have xatu to help w/ t-spikes and such which is one of the reasons to use plume in the 1st place. it'll take a little more predicting to get around sawk, but sawk is a mon that forces prediction anyways so its not that big of a deal @_@ tangela is still fat af anyways.

skunk still seems like a weird fit, and you need speed and a secondary rott check cause tangela isnt the greatest switch (even tho it chews a +2 megahorn for breakfast). i like rapture's suggestion of floatzel except id use it over skunk since it has some nice offensive interactions w/ aurorus w/ the whole BP as a passive mon comes in so aurorus can wreck stuff etc. only problem is that this leaves you wide open to mush so if you decide to go w/ float i'd throw SD or roar > megahorn on don and make it snow warning auro w/ blizzard which should give you enough options to play around mush. hope i helped and grats on 1k

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
^ I like Can's suggestions the best, though I don't necessarily agree with swapping Plume for Tangela; Xatu by itself is not a very reliable Fighting switch-in, and your team's so susceptible to them without Vileplume that I don't think it's worth it. Definitely make Vileplume HP Fire and Skuntank Expert Belt or Black Glasses, but imo don't make Yama Guts since it makes you a lot more susceptible to Fire types, especially since you're running an offensive Rhydon.

Another option would simply be to swap Xatu for a generic fast 'mon (make sure to run HP Fire on Plume for Ferro if you do this). Your team is extremely slow, which means if your check to something is weakened (for example, Archeops uses Aqua Tail on Rhydon on the switch), the team kinda falls apart. Xatu's niche as a Fighting type check is already covered by Vileplume, and while a secondary check is very nice, a faster Pokemon can also help cover them by revenge killing them. Skuntank's also already an effective hazard remover, and while removing hazards helps this team a lot it isn't necessary to the point where you have to run Defog+Xatu. The aforementioned Floatzel or something like Swellow probably work best, but just about anything fast is probably fine

Reactions: nv
hey ma boi NV
PU User: Dundies suggested Flash Cannon > Psychic and Sucker on Skuntank. Im gonna disagree with these 2 suggestions because Flash Cannon only really hits other Ice Types, which are hardly relevant right now bar Piloswine. I would argue Psychic is the better coverage move because it allows Aurorus to 2HKO AV Hariyama, which is important for this team.
How is hitting Hariyama more relevant than hitting Piloswine for this team? He has 2 Hariyama counters and as for Piloswine, his entire team is OHKOd or 2HKOd by it and it's really tough to play around with this team, especially if it has enough Speed creep for Hariyama. Keeping Defog on Skuntank is understandable though, as Xatu isn't really the most reliable switchin to common SRers. Sorry HJAD, just had to defend that, because Flash Cannon would help much more than Psychic. :/

Reactions: nv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)