PS3

Original post:

Hi all, I am thinking of getting myself a PS3, but I have some questions:

-How important is the hard drive space for a PS3? I'm trying to reduce my budget so that I don't spend money on over-excessive hard drive space, and most importantly, I hear that only the older versions have backwards compatibility to PS2 games.

-What are some good games? I plan on getting Soul Calibur 4 and FF13 when it comes out, but there must be other good games out there (note: I'm not into FPS games for the record).
I have just bought an 80GB PS3 console with backwards compatibility. This thread has little purpose now, but if you want to suggest PS2/3 games, go nuts.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
- You will not find a PS3 that is backward compatible anymore. Get the 120GB PS3 Slim as that will be the best deal. If you want backward compatibility, you missed that boat years ago

- My favourite game on the PS3, bar none, is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. It's not a first person shooter, although it is classified as a shooter. It has a great blend of different gameplay styles and I highly recommend it. Maybe check out the first game which is now a Greatest Hit, although the second game is far better imo.

Also look at Valkyria Chronicles if you can find it and Metal Gear Solid 4 if you've been following the series.

Mirror's Edge is also an amazing game that you can find for about $15 - $20.

Yes, Uncharted 2 definitely, but be sure to play the first one first, as you won't be familiar to alot of the characters and you will find the second alot funnier (in terms of dialogue) if you played the original. Actually my favorite game of the year so far is inFAMOUS, which is an extremely original superhero open-world game that has a story that you could see as a bestselling comic-book. Seriously, it was awesome.

White Knight Story is a full length, engaging, legit RPG you would definitely want to look into. It's well worth whatever you're going to pay for it, and it's great for you if you're waiting for FF13. Another game you might wanna check out is the Conduit, along with Infamous, mentioned earlier. As for its merits as a system, I've found that it isn't as good as a lot of other systems overall. Although I'm not an XBox fan, I must admit that the 360 is a lot better in terms of game variety and stuff, as RPGs are becoming less and less Sony exclusive. The PS2 still has some games coming out for it and it has an EPIC list of RPGs and games that is almost impossible for anyone less than the most hardcore type of gamer to have gone through. The Wii is fun, even if it's not as high tech on the hardware front.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
White Knight Story is a full length, engaging, legit RPG you would definitely want to look into. It's well worth whatever you're going to pay for it, and it's great for you if you're waiting for FF13. Another game you might wanna check out is the Conduit, along with Infamous, mentioned earlier. As for its merits as a system, I've found that it isn't as good as a lot of other systems overall. Although I'm not an XBox fan, I must admit that the 360 is a lot better in terms of game variety and stuff, as RPGs are becoming less and less Sony exclusive. The PS2 still has some games coming out for it and it has an EPIC list of RPGs and games that is almost impossible for anyone less than the most hardcore type of gamer to have gone through. The Wii is fun, even if it's not as high tech on the hardware front.
Um, you recommended a game that's not out in North America and won't be for a while, a Wii game, and then only one game he can actually get his hands on =p

Definitely check out Littlebigplanet, I think the game of the year edition just came out recently, not sure if it is worth it, but if you have a PS3 having LBP is a no-brainer.

- You will not find a PS3 that is backward compatible anymore. Get the 120GB PS3 Slim as that will be the best deal. If you want backward compatibility, you missed that boat years ago
Really? I hear only the newer models do not support backwards compatibility (but the older ones do, which I could probably get off eBay).

Anyways, yeah, it seems I have posted this thread in the wrong section (even though I've been here for a while). What a shame...

Anyways, I just want something good to play while I'm working for 4 months (then back to school). Just for the record, I have a Wii and a DS, and I'm wondering if I should even get a PS3, or just simply rent it.

Alright, if by some chance I do get a PS3, here's a list of games that I am interested in:
-Soul Calibur 4
-FF13
-Uncharted 1 & 2
-Little Big Planet

Firestorm

If you won't be playing it for long, there's really no point in the PS2 BC anyway. In any case, the only models that have full 99% backward compatibility are the 60GB and 20GB units. Those are also the two most prone to failure. The 80GB MGS4 and Motorstorm Bundle PS3s have 80% Backward Compatibility. The 160GB and standalone 80GB have no backward compatibility. The new Slim also hauws no backward compatibility. That's for PS2 titles. All PS3s can play PS1 games.

If you won't be playing it for long, there's really no point in the PS2 BC anyway. In any case, the only models that have full 99% backward compatibility are the 60GB and 20GB units. Those are also the two most prone to failure. The 80GB MGS4 and Motorstorm Bundle PS3s have 80% Backward Compatibility. The 160GB and standalone 80GB have no backward compatibility. The new Slim also hauws no backward compatibility. That's for PS2 titles. All PS3s can play PS1 games.
Hmm...I really wanted to play Tales of the Abyss and the Kingdom Hearts games, but I guess they'll pale in comparison to SC4 and FF13 (or so I think). Anyways, back to my original question, how important is hard drive space for a PS3? Like, should I go for 80GB, 160GB, or 250GB? Are all these spaces necessary? And yeah, I'm looking at getting a Slim (don't know if there's a 80GB Slim though).

Firestorm

There's a 120GB Slim and 250GB Slim. Get the 120. You can pick up a PS2 for like $50 if you want to get one for PS2 RPGs.

definately the slim version with 120 gb
hmm some good games are
mw2
tekken 6
assassian creed 2
fallout 3

hmm dont really know what games your into but there plenty of good games out there

LittleBigPlanet is probably the best game you can get on the PS3 that isn't a "Shoot 'em Up". The Game of the Year Edition came out in North America about 1 to 2 months ago, so if you live in America, its better to buy it since it comes with $30 worth of Downloadable Content free and 10 or more extra levels made by other players.

So yeah, I recommend buying it.

In terms of memory size i would just go for the 120 gb, if you do stuff like ripping blu rays/dvds to watch your probably going to need more then 250gb anyway. You can always pick up a new 500gb hard drive if you find you use a lot of space, i don't no how much they are in america..

I really don't get the praise for the uncharted series, played the first one for an hour or two and sold it.
It wants to be an indiana jones movie, its not a game its some cutscenes padded out with tedious exploring( aka tomb raider) and an awful shooting system. Even Resident Evil 5 did the cover system better then it.

Out of the games i have played

Resident Evil 5 is really the only game i can recommend and even that is way too short.
Killzone 2 is like every other generic shooter that still seems to make a shit load of money because people are easily impressed by graphics and loud noises and not actual gameplay.
LBP is frustrating in that its amazing in terms of level design, art direction, and the options available yet let down by the actual platforming mechanics being shit, still pick it up.
FNR4 and UFC are decent but only if that is your thing
Ratchet and Clank are ok but if you have played one you have played them all
Infamous is repetitive and the whole moral system comes down to what colour electric you want the moves are basically the same.

In terms of memory size i would just go for the 120 gb, if you do stuff like ripping blu rays/dvds to watch your probably going to need more then 250gb anyway. You can always pick up a new 500gb hard drive if you find you use a lot of space, i don't no how much they are in america..

I really don't get the praise for the uncharted series, played the first one for an hour or two and sold it.
It wants to be an indiana jones movie, its not a game its some cutscenes padded out with tedious exploring( aka tomb raider) and an awful shooting system. Even Resident Evil 5 did the cover system better then it.

Out of the games i have played

Resident Evil 5 is really the only game i can recommend and even that is way too short.
Killzone 2 is like every other generic shooter that still seems to make a shit load of money because people are easily impressed by graphics and loud noises and not actual gameplay.
LBP is frustrating in that its amazing in terms of level design, art direction, and the options available yet let down by the actual platforming mechanics being shit, still pick it up.
FNR4 and UFC are decent but only if that is your thing
Ratchet and Clank are ok but if you have played one you have played them all
Infamous is repetitive and the whole moral system comes down to what colour electric you want the moves are basically the same.
If you didn't "get" the Uncharted series, then you blatantly haven't played any other Naughty Dog games. The reason Uncharted got such high praise even though, yes, the shooting wasn't near as polished or competetive as, say, Gears of War, is because Uncharted was Naughty Dog's first attempt at a over-the-shoulder third-person shooting game (look at their previos series, the fnatastic Jak & Daxter, it was nothing like it) and for a first attempt it was damn good. And the sequel was everything the first was but with ten times the polish. And you call Killzone 2 out for being generic and unoriginal but you recommend Resident Evil 5? Resident Evil 5?! Killzone 2 is a million times more original than Resident Evil 5 and I fucking hated the game (much preferred the first). What did Resident Evil 5 do differently than all of the previous Resident Evils'? Oh yeah, it sucked. And I also think that inFAMOUS is the most non-repetetive open-world game I've played in, well, probably ever, as it was approached in such an original and unique way. But hell, I guess this goes to show how much opinions can vary...

Firestorm

That's not the reason Uncharted is praised at all. It was praised by people who liked the game. It's a good game, but not an amazing one. They had the foundations of a great game, but didn't execute on it fully. However, with little competition on the PS3 at the time, many were willing to overlook its flaws. The biggest problem with it was the uneven pacing. The beginning sections were very heavy on platforming and exploration and then the game gave way to "Gears of War in the Jungle" with shootout after shootout.

Uncharted 2 on the other hand is an amazing work of game design. They learned from their mistakes from Uncharted and created a perfectly paced game with a perfect blend of highs and lows in the action. The cutscenes transition perfectly. The visuals are amazing. One of my top 5 games this generation.

Uncharted is a B game, Uncharted 2? A+.

Um, you recommended a game that's not out in North America and won't be for a while, a Wii game, and then only one game he can actually get his hands on =p
oof I thought they were making a Conduit port for the PS3, I thought I saw someone playing a demo at my local gamestop o.O
wiki says nothing about that, so my bad

White Knight is coming out in like February, and I mentioned it since I'm a level5 fanatic because of the Dark Cloud series

I'd actually refrain from buying the PS3 if you're an RPG fan until FF13 comes out and KH3 is announced

going for the 120gb slim this christmas also, hi5

not particularly interested in mw2, but im definitely gonna catch up on everything ive missed, like valkyria chronicles and lbp (which is bundled in with the deal i found).
might end up getting mw2 just as something i can put alot of hours into with the multiplayer, and also hopefully get crack in time at some point as the ratchet ps2 games are really nostalgic for me and i haven't played one in years since buying a wii <3

On the second thought, I'm gonna get a PS3 later or not get it at all because of Heart Gold and the new Mario Bros for the Wii. Since I'm gonna be working most of the time, I won't have too much time with the PS3, so yeah. Just wanted to know some facts about the PS3.

Firestorm

oof I thought they were making a Conduit port for the PS3, I thought I saw someone playing a demo at my local gamestop o.O
wiki says nothing about that, so my bad

White Knight is coming out in like February, and I mentioned it since I'm a level5 fanatic because of the Dark Cloud series

I'd actually refrain from buying the PS3 if you're an RPG fan until FF13 comes out and KH3 is announced
At that point I think he'd be looking at a Wii ;)

Anyway, the studio behind Conduit does not have the resources to make a PS3 game unless Sega did a crap job for them like they did with Bayonetta. It doesn't matter much as Conduit looks like a very generic first person shooter and the OP doesn't like shooters. Even if he did, there are far better choices out there.

Meh, I was interested in White Knight when it was first revealed but the more I hear about it, the less I like it =/

If you're looking into more RPGs, definitely try to find Eternal Sonata. Pretty awesome story wise and gameplay wise, and even though it is a 360 port there is +content and the game is overall better than the 360 version. It's a pretty fun game.

The battle system is kinda like TalesOf, where you run into enemies on the overworld and initiate a battle. It is a turn based RPG, but also an action RPG. You see when it's your characters turn, the minute you move or do any action a time goes off, and you have until the end of that timer to attack, heal, using skills, etc. When you are being attacked, there are timed blocks but you cannot block if your back is being attacked (same with enemies). It gets a bit more complex and it's very immersive and very, very fun.

At that point I think he'd be looking at a Wii ;)
I already have a Wii, mind you.

Anyways, when I was first starting to consider an alternate console, I disregarded the 360 because, forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's more of a FPS kind of console (which I'm not too big a fan of), and some of the good games for the 360 are available on PC.

Yeah, I first wanted the PS3 due to Soul Calibur 4, FF13 coming out, and the graphics (kind of ironic as I've been a pure Nintendo fan up until now). Buying a PS3 while I already have the Wii is overdoing it I think (considering that I'll probably lack the time to play either). I think I'll stick to my DS and Wii for the time being...

Firestorm

If you're into jRPGs and will be getting a stick for fighting games, I'd say the 360 is definitely a better choice at the moment. It's mostly the shooters that are also on PC. The jRPGs are console exclusive. The PS3 finally seems to be picking up on the RPG front too though.

If you're into jRPGs and will be getting a stick for fighting games, I'd say the 360 is definitely a better choice at the moment. It's mostly the shooters that are also on PC. The jRPGs are console exclusive. The PS3 finally seems to be picking up on the RPG front too though.
I decided to post here again after some thoughts. I'm thinking of getting a 360 over PS3, as Soul Calibur 4 is on the 360 as well, and FF13 will be out for 360 as well. But then again, since I've been dealing mostly with Nintendo consoles until now, I need to be enlightened on one thing:

-Obviously, the 360 is cheaper than the PS3, but since PS3 games are stored in Blu-Ray Discs (a bigger media than a double-layered DVD), I would assume that the games that are available on the PS3 and the 360 would have more features on the PS3 counterpart. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is the case, then would those extra features be worth the extra bucks put into the PS3?

The games I'm looking at that are (or will be) available on the 360 and the PS3 are Soul Calibur 4, FF13, and Batman Arkham Asylum.

Firestorm

Neither SCIV nor Arkham Asylum are different on PS3 from 360. Final Fantasy XIII will feature 1080p cutscenes on PS3 with fully uncompressed sound. Gameplay will be 720p on both. PS3 version will also be on one disc while 360 version is on 3. If you don't have a 1080p TV or receiver that does sound over HDMI, then I wouldn't worry about the differences too much.

Most older multiplatform games run better on 360. Newer multiplatform games do abouwt the same on both with different things looking better on either system.

Remember that the 360 does have a ~$40 a year charge to go online for multiplayer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)