Psychic Monotype

So, my friends and I are having a monotype tourney soon, and I chose Psychic for my type. I think I built a pretty solid team, as I tested it on showdown and won every battle, but I still want you guys to judge it. Feel free to kindly critique it, or to rip it to shreds like a Sharpedo raping a Luvdisc.
so without further ado, here's my team! (I apologize, my crappy computer hates me, and the idea that it should have to save pictures.)

The Lead
Espeon@Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: +Spe/-Atk
Ev's: 252 Hp/4 Def/252 Spe
Reflect
Light Screen
Psychic
Hidden Power Fighting

Espeon is an effective 'Dual Screener' due to its awesome speed. It can also use Magic Bounce to reflect entry hazards and whatnot, but you probably knew that. Psychic is for a reliable STAB move and HP Fighting is for those pesky Dark types.

The Support
Xatu@Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: +SpD/-Def
Ev's: 252 Hp/240 SpD/16 Spe
Thunder Wave
Roost
Psychic
U-Turn

Xatu is a good supporter for this team for a few reasons. Thunder Wave helps out Metagross and Reuniclus alot, while U-Turn lets Xatu act as a pretty good scout. Also, he's got Magic Bounce. 'Nuff said.

The Physical Tank
Metagross@Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: +Atk/-SpA
Ev's: 252 Hp/96 Atk/160 Def
Stealth Rock
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Earthquake

Metagross is... just Metagross. Pursuit is for the Ghost type team in the tourney, because that will be troubling, Earthquake is a good coverage move, and Meteor Mash is awesome because it's powerful, STAB, and has a chance to raise Metagross' attack.

The Trickster
Alakazam@Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: +SpA/-Atk
Ev's: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Trick
Focus Blast
Psychic
Shadow Ball

So, this is a set of my own design. He's holding a Flame Orb to prevent him from getting paralyzed, or put to sleep, and Magic Guard negates the burn damage, so it all works out. Then, if he's facing a physical attacker, he can trick the Flame Orb onto them and cut their attack in half. Psychic for STAB, and Focus Blast and Shadow Ball have awesome coverage together.

The Specs
Starmie@Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: +Spe/-Atk
Ev's: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Hydro Pump
Psychock
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Ahh, good 'ol Starmie. I honestly don't really think this set needs explaining. BOLTBEAM!

The Set Up Sweeper
Reuniclus@Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: +Def/-Atk
Ev's: 252 Hp/252 Def/4SpD
Calm Mind
Recover
Shadow Ball
Psyshock

So, Reuniclus. First, I come in on something that can't touch him, Calm Mind to my heart's content, and then wail on the opposing team. Magic Guard keeps off the Life Orb damage, and Recover lets me, well, you know, recover.

So that was it. I hope you guys have fun critiquing my team.
I'll also post the results of the tourney after it happens. It's on December 16th. Thanks!

Monotype teams are seldom effective. But the good thing about Psychic is that it is such a versatile type, unlike Dragon and Fighting, who's sets tend to be predictable and stale when many of that type are packed onto one team.

The big problems I see with this team is a lack of physical attackers, and Psychic has few great physical titans. However almost all Psychics have access to Psyshock, which is coveted among special attackers for dealing with their worst nemeses : Chansey and Blissey, and yet, no Psyshock is to be found on your team. I recommend replacing Psychic with it on Starmie, Reuniclus and maybe even Alakazam, given that they are your big sweepers. If you want a physical attacker besides Metagross, Victini is a nice option, due to his base 100 Attack and access to good moves like Fusion Bolt, V-Create, and U-Turn.

Regarding Defense, you have it rather well done. Magic Bounce on two Pokemon is nice, with Espeon setting up screens, and Xatu spreading para around effectively. My only problem is on Metagross, Meteor Mash. Sure, it can raise your attack. Sure, it can hit ice and rock types for SE STAB damage, but you don't often see Rock and Ice in OU, save Cloyster and Terrakion, But Cloyster's poor SpDef and Terrakion's weakness to Psychic makes these Pokemon best left to the rest of the team. The attack boost is only 20%, which may make you have to take a chance hoping to get it. I recommend replacing it with either Toxic or Bullet Punch. A progressively worsening status is great to have, and BP works with STAB, high attack, and low speed to deliver a sturdy, reliable hit.

Hope I helped.

Main thing is, if this team will be used in a monotype metagame you'll not need two Magic Bouce since, except for rocks and steel, most types will not carry more than a single hazard setup. Another tip is in Alakazam: Alakazam have an AMAZING movepool, covering almost every type without use of Hidden Power, so it can be better used as a revenge killer with a Focus Sash or a (kinda risky) sweeper with Life Orb.
I really recomend either Victini or Medicham in the team, as both have decent speed (Medicham better with a Scarf, though) and packs a lot of physical power. Medicham is preferable, believe it or not, thanks to the possibility of hitting darks really hard, while taking neutral hits from them.

I wouldn't change all pokes with Psychic for Psyshock because of the lose in BP, but at least Reuniclus needs it, otherwise it will be easily walled. Reuniclus would also prefer Shadow Ball instead of Focus Blast, since with enough CMs will only need to hit for neutral damage, and Spiritomb and Sableye could easily force it out, even with a +6 boost.

Keep in mind that what I said is for a monotype made to fight other monotypes. Otherwise it would be better to focus in what fryfrey said.

Thanks. I've changed my team for the tourney based off of shiranai's critique, but I'm going to write fryfrey's ideas because I'm going to use this in OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)