PTU Game Opportunity (Pokemon D&D)

Hello, dear PS users. I'm basically running a Pokemon D&D game and I am looking for players.

"But Brian," you ask, "What is PTU?" Well, that's easy enough.

You know the Pokemon games? PTU is basically me making one of those without the pesky programming. One that you play with your friends.

In short, you'll create a trainer that you'll play, and you'll be interacting with the world I create, catching and interacting with a series of Pokemon and other characters (players or "NPCs"). Catching, training, exploring, saving the world...you know, that type of thing.

"What is the game going to be like?" I'm glad you asked.

Imagine if Pokemon were set in the real world, with real world consequences and realistic types of action. That's the game I want to run.

A Ne-fairy-ous Plot

The 1920's were a wild time, full of gangs, fast times, and illegal liquor. And, of course, alongside the Tommy gun, Pokemon found their place Chicago's sprawling battleground. Chicago is a town that boasts all types of people, from the young Pokemaniac at the University of Chicago, to a crooked cop trying to cover up a dirty deal, to a young bartender dreaming of being a Pokemon champion. And even in this town of such wild individuals, nobody would have ever picked these few to be a team...​

The game is set in Chicago in the roarin' 20's. The game will feature elements of investigation, exploration, and, of course, battling. It will also be quite dark. As such, I'm setting a few restrictions on the players I'm allowing into the game:

1 - 16+
Sorry, I'm looking for a more mature player base. I'd prefer 18+ but I'm not sure I'd find enough people who would bite.

This isn't for any smut-factor. The game includes rules about serious injuries and death, and I intend to play with those in effect. I'd like a group that can handle that type of gameplay, and handle topics like drugs and alcohol (we're in prohibition-era Chicago), so 16+.

2 - Speak English
My Spanish isn't good enough to get by, and I know nothing of other languages. This is a game where if you don't speak English proficiently, you won't be able to keep up.

3 - VoIP access (Voice-over-IP, think Skype, but not Skype because Skype is awful)
We're going to play this game in real-time. It's D&D, not a forum RP. Have access to a mic and the willingness to use and download the VoIP of my choosing (probably Curse Voice, but I could be persuaded to do Discord). The visual interface will be roll20.net.

4 - Ability to commit to a 3-4 hour session once a week (or once every other week, minimum) for a few months.
I'll work with the players to try and find a time that works for everyone. Time zones are a thing that make this hard but I'd like for this to be accessible to a good number of people.

I'd also like to do short sessions of 1 on 1 (~1 hour, maybe even less) with each of the players to simulate "personal development" time. Pokemon is fundamentally a single-player game--when you encounter a wild Pokemon, only one person can catch it. There will be plenty of opportunities for players to get Pokemon throughout the long sessions, but I'd like to supplement that with short 1-offs that allow players to spend time training, catching, or exploring things from the previous week that they didn't get the chance to do with the group.

5 - NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
I want to make this ABUNDANTLY clear. If this sounds fun to you, but you've never done something like this before, sign up anyways. Players will be selected on a few criteria, most notably availability matches, first impressions, and first-come-first-serve. I'll teach you everything you need to know to make a character, to make Pokemon, and to play the game. You just bring the enthusiasm.

HOW TO SIGN UP:
Post the following information:

First Name: I'm not going to call you BlueSparrow13. First name is important. Mine's Brian.
Time Zone: PST for me. You?
Previous Experience with D&D/Forum RPing: Have you built your own system? Never played before? Hit me with the short list.
A Little Bit About Yourself OR A Brief Creative Writing Bit: I'm trying to see how you talk, how you think, and how you'll play. Just give me some information about who you are, tell me a cute story, or give me a sample from a forum RP you've been a part of.

I remember when the Pokemon craze hit America. I was a little late to the game, what with my parents not supporting video games in the slightest, but I eventually got hooked on Red version, and fell in love with the concept of a world filled with what are essentially magical house pets who fight each other. Although I didn't keep up with the games past gen 2, Pokemon has always had a soft spot in my heart. A year and a half ago, I joined a forum-based RP on a now-defunct site that revived my interest in Pokemon from the smoldering ashes, and last...January, I want to say? I joined PS.

I've played D&D since 7th grade and gone over a variety of D&D systems and other table-top systems. I've done collaborative storytelling since I can remember, with "make believe" evolving into persistent world settings that lasted years of my elementary school experience (some of it in Pokemon-analogous worlds). I've done forum-based RPs since 7th grade and been very on again, off again on my participation in those.

Beyond that, I love dancing and have a fascination with stand-up comedy, with styles ranging from Jimmy Carr to Brian Regan. I'm nigh-impossible to offend and laugh at all sorts of jokes. And I use the UU room exclusively.

F.A.Q.s:

Can I play a Pokemon?
No.

Can I start with (insert Pokemon here)? It is my favorite!
Read the campaign description document for rules on starting Pokemon.

But I can't start with (insert Pokemon here)! But I really want to!
Well, too bad. That doesn't mean you can't encounter that particular Pokemon, and I will be asking players for a short list of Pokemon they might want to encounter (including legendaries) to help me tailor the game to the players I have. That doesn't mean you WILL get that Pokemon, it just means I'll have it on my mind when designing some of the areas.

I'm leaving the country/state in a month and will be unable to play after that. Can I play?
No. I want to have to find as few replacements as possible once we get rolling. I understand if you can't make a few sessions, but if you're missing half or more, we're going to have to move on without you.

Are we going to be roaming the land, battling wild Pokemon, making friends, and collecting gym badges?
No. This is definitely NOT the anime.

So we won't meet Ash?
Ash was born in 1987. This universe is strictly non-cannon. Don't expect any "lore" from the Pokemon world you know to carry over accurately into this one.

I'm under 16. Can I still play?
Not this campaign. Depending on interest, I might run more games in the future that are accessible to younger players. I don't really have time to run 2 concurrent games right now since I'm already doing other games and work and have a life and things. After this one (or during, depending on the frequency/time commitment required) I may run another game.

Post any questions in the thread.

Google Docs Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1owq6RqlU4w-AEMYf-Ftezu9GndIjaIG6Z88MHDlXi5I/edit?usp=sharing

IN
name: Jermaine
timezone: CEST / GMT +2 / UTC +2 whichever you prefer
experience: absulotely none
very small monologue about meself: I always wanted to do a RP-game, but I never found the right group for it. But then I heard about this and it seemed very interesting so I thought lemme aply see if I can join. Got into pokemon since I was a child, played the first 3 gens without ever owning a gameboy somehow. Then finally bought a ds for gen 4 and got super addicted. I skipped gen 5 and got back into pokemon again with ORAS.
Things I do for fun: watch anime, read light novels/manga, play soccer even though I have no stamina, play videogames and just chilling with friends
Things I don't like to do for fun: Basketball, Baseball, watching MTV and going "clubbing"

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel like I'm supposed to move this to Circus Maximus but I don't want to.

We had a guy who was pretty heavily involved in PTU, even affected its development a bit, StarmanXL, but he doesn't hang around anymore.

We had a guy who was pretty heavily involved in PTU, even affected its development a bit, StarmanXL, but he doesn't hang around anymore.
Ah, you're right I should have posted this there. I didn't read beyond "competitive Mafia discussion", so that's on me.

You do with it what you want. I kind of like it in the general chat area because it might get a slightly bigger audience, and this isn't specifically an RP for hard core veterans. But over there it might get more attention from people likely to play, it's pros and cons. You do you and I'll respect whatever decision you make.

This sounds like something I would be interested in, but user-made pokemon content has been ruined for me by the number of truly appalling fan-fics I've read. Or rather, started reading, and never finished.
Also I have pretty much no time and a weird timezone. Good luck with the game though!

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

i am gravely offended

but yeah, I kinda abandoned it too so :/

i am gravely offended

but yeah, I kinda abandoned it too so :/
Can't really blame you for moving away from it, the system is far too "thingy", and this coming from a 3.5 min/maxer. Too many little numbers to keep track of.

But I do think the system is reasonably complete, I like the tone implied with the ruleset, and of course I love the setting. It's much easier than me actually trying to ad-hoc a Pokemon game, which I could do but would be a mess. I think my favorite part is how they included stuff for the trainers to do in addition to just the mons. Realism is built into the system.

/e

Gonna let this thread run for a few more days, then start checking in with people on availability. I'd like to get a few more interested players so we can have a party of 3-6.

We could really use 1 more player so if you're on the fence, hop on in! I'd rather keep this within PS and not have to hit up Reddit or something to find a player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)