Project PU Player of the Week 2: galbia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by WhiteDMist
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who stole it from Lord Alphose and xzern from NU.
Past Players of the Week: Magnemite

Welcome to an experience unlike any seen before (bar in NU and RU), PU Player of the Week. This weekly thread hopes to capitalize and promote good players in the metagame, while helping newer players by giving advice and showing effective strategies in the metagame.

galbia
Most Known for: Being Italian, PU Co-Leader, BEING RBY CHAMPION, PU Room Owner, PU C&C Team, Managing Shoegazing Stoutlands in PUPL
Favorite PU Pokemon: Jumpluff or Arbok
Most used Pokemon: Grumpig since i discovered how good it was in ORAS, Piloswine overall I'd say (also Garbodor at its time)​
Twix: When and how did you come to join PU?
galbia: It all started with me and Robert Alfons messing around on irc and for one reason or another we started playing some random PU games back in August/September. I also discovered trc and magnemite as well as scorpdestroyer were playing it and we had battles too. The rest is history.

Twix: What is it like to be the new Co-Tier Leader of PU?
galbia: It is pretty cool to be honest and even tho i am a little new to "leading" a community as a whole i can feel like it will be a fun experience especially with the help of the other co-leader. The hardest thing is definitely keeping myself from banning scald every time i lose to a timely Scald burn on the ladder :(

Twix: What is it like to manage a team during PUPL?
galbia: It has its ups and down but it really is a lot of fun. I picked up a lot of players known for using unconventional and weird sets in their team and seeing them working and not working out in the various games always keeps me on the edge of my seat when spectating games.

Twix: What are your thoughts on the Sun Suspect?
galbia: I actually made a pretty extensive post about the matter which you can find in the np thread so go read that :) for the lazy bums reading here i am strongly supporting the ban Victreebel side.

Twix: What are some underrated and overrated Pokemon in your opinion?
galbia: I would say Clefairy has gotten pretty boring and people lazily slap it on their team (and complain about stoutland) but running a pokemon that passive really gives too much leeway to breakers coming in and the fact that Pokemon such as Roselia also have a field day against it really makes it too overused in my opinion. Still a pretty good mon thought.

For underrated I'd mention Fraxure, Klang, and Duosion. These mons are extremely effective against common trends and Pokemon (fraxure rapes all the teams relying on Special Poli only to check physical mons and sets up on a lot of stuff, Klang is SO hard to take down for defensive cores not involving Torterra and Duosion is an amazing balance sweeper as well as a stellar lure for Dark types (and you can run it with colbur pig too to sweep!))

Twix: What's your favorite playstyle in the tier, and which do you feel is underrated?
galbia: I always end up going with some sort of bulky offense after we removed Garbodor / Glalie from the tier just because handling some of the strong wallbreakers we have defensively is so incredibly hard a lot of the time (Stoutland and Dodrio but also stuff like Rapidash) and being able to keep them out / rkill them is just inaluable. I've also had success with fat balanced teamstyles too if i built well against a strong, boosting, win condition like duosion klang or cm clef.

Twix: What change would you make to the tier if you could?
galbia: What can i not do????? Making it official counts? Anyway I'd like to break transitivity in item/moves/ability bans so that we get the chance to test out Shadow Tag Gothorita and Wynaut and free the use of multiple BP users. also ban knock off and free Sneasel.

Twix: What is your advice towards newer players in the tier?
galbia: Play around a lot with strong sets and pair them with something underrated that you think could work. In this environment a lot of stuff can be effective if used right and having an extra surprise weapon is one of the keys in winning in ORAS tiers. In general to increase your skills you should try and join as many tournaments as possible in new and older gens, make friends to play good level games and take a pause if you feel like it is getting not fun :)

What are your thoughts on this week's interview? If you have extra questions for galbia, feel free to ask them in the comments. If you want to see a player interviewed, feel free to leave a post on my profile.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
thoughts on a (dog) susp
thoughts on a stealth rock-less meta(trc's wet dream)
most underrated and overrated players in pupl
thoughts on possible drops n rises

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gocce sei più eccitato per?
Lei ha parlato utilizzando set non convenzionali, qualsiasi in particolare che ti è piaciuto (diverso da sciarpa del ghiaccio fang Arbok)?
Miglior tipo di pasta? Pizza?
r8 my Google transl8

edit: CM FREEZE DRY AVALUGG?!?!?!?!?

Origin behind your name?
none really
Which pokemon would you drop into PU, if there is one?
FREE MUK, FREE REGULAR SERPERIOR
Would Ambipom be broken in PU?
how much better than ursaring/purugly it really is? it would probably be not even that good
Opinion of Luxray?
im a lux fanboy i really like the cb set :3
thoughts on a (dog) susp
dont spam passive mons [suspect test]
thoughts on a stealth rock-less meta(trc's wet dream)
he should git gud
most underrated and overrated players in pupl
gasquake and omfuga went for less than 5 and are 4-0 lol, idk who is overrated ive only really watched games of my team and im satisfied
thoughts on possible drops n rises
FREE MUK
Gocce sei più eccitato per?
scusa è troppo divertente per poter rispondere
Lei ha parlato utilizzando set non convenzionali, qualsiasi in particolare che ti è piaciuto (diverso da sciarpa del ghiaccio fang Arbok)?
mi piace molto usare sostituto nasty congiura idro pompa nascosta potenza psichico simipour
Miglior tipo di pasta? Pizza?
sono un fan delle tagliatelle. pizza va sempre bene se non è troppo carica
r8 my Google transl8
bad
edit: CM FREEZE DRY AVALUGG?!?!?!?!?
too good pls dont release it

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Opinions on these names:
1) Ice Blink
2) Kirn
3) SlowDive

Do you think hail could be viable if we had better snow cloak Pokemon?

Would you be OK with a complex ban if it were to prevent Clefairy and Tangela on the same team?

Rank these wallbreakers in terms of wallbreaking: relicanth/beheeyem/marowak/ursaring/stoutland/chatot/cb zweilous

Would you still say stall is reliable and viable playstyle? (also seriously what are your opinions on full stall)

Do you reken the metagame will stay like it is (fat defenisve cores + stoutland - ofc regardless of tier shifts)?

sorry for mix between serious and joke question

what mon would you be most happy with leaving the tier?

what is the most innovative PU set youve created?

favorite type of pizza?

thoughts on simipour (username and mon)?

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
When did you start playing Pokemon?

Why are Italians so hairy?

What's life like outside of Pokemon Slowdown™ for you?

Do you play any sports?

Favorite playstyle in this current PU meta?

Opinions on these names:
1) Ice Blink
2) Krin
3) SlowDive
amazing names that people cant get because they are terrible
Do you think hail could be viable if we had better snow cloak Pokemon?
standard anty saying hail isnt viable after getting rekt by aurorus
Would you be OK with a complex ban if it were to prevent Clefairy and Tangela on the same team?
i'd rather ban anty that give the hint that cleftang is acually usable
Rank these wallbreakers in terms of wallbreaking: relicanth/beheeyem/marowak/ursaring/stoutland/chatot/cb zweilous
Nothing beats Relicanth. NOTHING (but lugia). So it gets the number 1. Beheyeem OHKOS pawniard with signal beam so it is second clearly. GUTS URSARING is god so it is third. The others are all mediocre especially zwei since it misses.
Would you still say stall is reliable and viable playstyle? (also seriously what are your opinions on full stall)
watch tewmew who would be 4-0 using semistall if he knew about facade stout
Do you reken the metagame will stay like it is (fat defenisve cores + stoutland - ofc regardless of tier shifts)?
it will change when people realize you cant run passive ass mons without any cost lol.
what mon would you be most happy with leaving the tier?
nothing should leave but i hate playing vs kadabra because it wins so many 1v1s :(
what is the most innovative PU set youve created?
the answer lies somewhere in between tbolt garbodor and scarf ice fang arbok
favorite type of pizza?
i like tuna and prosciutto more than anything
thoughts on simipour (username and mon)?
its not /too/ bad
When did you start playing Pokemon?
competitive late '13 id say, i randomly played in 2012 i think but it was just very very random instances lol
Why are Italians so hairy?
im not very hairy but it is because ppl here tend to have darker hair so it is more noticeable unlike blond ass ppl who are covered in transparent fur
What's life like outside of Pokemon Slowdown™ for you?
work in summer and gather money during the year and spend everything on concerts/records/hanging with friends. also student in last year of hs and heading into some kind of scientific subject university hopefully (mayb abroad).
Do you play any sports?
used to be a good swimmer and a bad tennis player but now i dont really do much outside of randomly going for a run sadly
Favorite playstyle in this current PU meta?
variations of offense/bulky offense imo

what is it like being italian?

thoughts on user: anty?

mfk bellsprout weepinbell victreebel

which possible drops do you think would be best for the tier (not necessarily the most fun to use)?

what, if anything, is suspect worthy after the sun test?

which mons are suspect worthy if poliwrath rises?

favorite types of pasta?

favorite skype emotes?

opinions on user: bulbasword?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you think original pizza is just crust/dough/bread with tomato sauce on it and cheese is actually a topping, like all other italians do?

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
what are your favourite albums (all time and modern (last 2 years) time)?

why don't you ever use butterfree?

rate Kingler12345 as a player

what is it like being italian?
magnemite can you stop being a fucking asshole every time you talk to other nationalities . fuck you cant talk to them without belittling them for no reason i dont give 2 shits if youre joking. you need to learn your limit asshole.
thoughts on user: anty?
[21:45] <REDACTED>: it kinda bothers me that this anty guy feels the need to chime in on every game
[21:45] <REDACTED>: i don't think i've seen one replay where he isn't talking =/
mfk bellsprout weepinbell victreebel
kill vic marry weep f bellsprout
which possible drops do you think would be best for the tier (not necessarily the most fun to use)?
MUK AND BOUFFALANT AND ALSO MILTANK. BAN EVIRE
what, if anything, is suspect worthy after the sun test?
nothing its perfect
which mons are suspect worthy if poliwrath rises?
want to see how it plays out but i'd look at the smashers i guess
favorite types of pasta?
probably fusilli, paccheri or maccheroni. trofie are also pretty god tier
favorite skype emotes?
(lalala) and (sun) are godly
opinions on user: bulbasword?
hes alright
Do you think original pizza is just crust/dough/bread with tomato sauce on it and cheese is actually a topping, like all other italians do?
It technically is a topping in the original marinara but pizza is nowadays identified with Margherita so as long as it is real fucking italian Mozzarella cheese can be considered real part of pizza. shitty pizzahut cheese c
what are your favourite albums (all time and modern (last 2 years) time)?
An actually good question, ty. It is really really hard to answer but my actually two favourite albums of all time are probably Loveless and Souvlaki since I've grown a taste on abrasive kind of music that is also extremely imaginative and deep in a sense. I'd also say pretty much all releases especially of my bloody valentine are all among my top favourite ones. Other albums i consider really close are Heaven or LA from Cocteau Twins, Endtroducing... (this one is absolutely amazing music for the love of music), American Football, cLOUDDEAD, Madvillainy, Mezzanine and The Downward Spiral. As for recent albums i especially liked ExMilitary and TMS by Death Grips, Skelethon by Aesop Rock (that shit is godly), TBK, and some more indie stuff like The Hotelier which fagtron hates because hes a fagtron. This is probably my current AOTY and I also have to say that all GY!BE albums came out in the latest 2 years while not great are still pretty good, Yeezus is overrated and really very inferior to anything clipping death grips and aesop have produced sigh, sunbather was ok but overrated and that Frances The Mute is also one of the best albums of the last 10 years. I left out a lot of amazing stuff i really like such as noise rock and idek what but i tried being concise.
why don't you ever use butterfree?
i think i did once but lead was bad
rate Kingler12345 as a player
someone said hes apparently good at adv but i beat him so hes bad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)