Question of the Day, 4/08/10 - Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laziness, it really gets in the way sometimes. I do periodically go on streaks of enthusiasm and what not where I get stuff done, but then I get lazy again. I think I might be manic/depressive. Also these threads are pretty cool.

My communication skills. Frequently I misunderstand others and vice versa because one of us is communicating something and the other is completely oblivious to this communication. These misunderstandings usually get dismissed quickly, but occasionally things get incredibly heated as a result.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Probably my propensity to hate anyone better or more successful at something than I am.

That'd probably be my lazyness, altough not in such a similar fassion as Alan. It is mostly when I find out something I like to do and I enjoy at first and I keep at it until I get bored. I then either bench the thing I was doing or quickly finihs it due to obligations. I am not sure why some things bore me so quickly, altough I look forward to doing them in my head afterwards. I try and plan such things, and then I keep delaying them or forgetting them. Eventually, it'll almost always end in me forgetting what I wanted to do and then later finding out what I forgot, about which I then want to slap myself in the face.

tl;dr: I simply want to finish stuff more easily without postponing it endlessly because I get bored

I hate not being involved in things. I don't want to win at everything, I just want to be a significant part of the community of everything I'm good at - I go to a school with a lot of exchange students, mainly Spanish students, and if I don't show them my spanish skills I tend to kick myself. This is why I joined Smogon - if I ever want to be known to be a significant Pokémon player, I'll always have enough posts and recognition to get started. I'd change myself so this annoying characteristic of myself would go away.

I wouldn't really want to get rid of jealousy totally, but I would really want to be able to control it, and get some points of it out of my system. There are some situations where jealousy results in a gain, if I see something that I want and I am inspired to work harder in order to achieve it. There are other times when this doesn't happen, though, and I just start to dislike the person of whom I am jealous. An irrational dislike, in most cases, and it also distracts me from doing constructive things to just sitting around thinking "shit man I could have that" but not doing anything about it.

Actually, I'm sure that this wanting to change is my jealousy showing itself. I'm not sure if anyone really does have complete control over jealousy, but I may be wishing I could have some hypothetical scenario. And to be honest, I can't think of any way to go about changing it, so this change that I would make is pretty analogous to what I want to get rid of in the first place.

I want to be able to start something and see it through until I'm finished it without postponing it or getting sick of it. Some things I start then get bored with it and then a few weeks later find an interest in it again

My laziness, it really gets in the way sometimes. I do periodically go on streaks of enthusiasm and what not where I get stuff done, but then I get lazy again. I think I might be manic/depressive. Also these threads are pretty cool.
Pretty much this. I guess it affects mroe people than I thought xD

AJers

Your typical e-wench
I would like to be more open for permanence in my personal relationships. I have this huge (and stupid) phobia of letting someone be too close to me or to depend on them too much. The instant my past boyfriends wanted to take our relationship to the "next" level, whether that's moving in together or the "official" meetings of each others families, etc... I balk. I start nitpicking at little things in the relationship and pretty much make it fail. I always call it a "commitment" issue, but I know it's not just that. To this day, most of my boyfriends have even had a chance to meet my dad or most of my family; and the ones who did either knew the family beforehand OR it was just an accidental meeting with a sister or something.

I'm not sure if it's something that I need to work on fixing, or if it's just that I'm "young" and having fun. But, I'm currently in a stage of my life where at least 60% of my friends are settling down; so, I'm starting to realize that the "I'm just young and having fun" excuse isn't going to work for too much longer.

Haha, anyways, tl;dr

But if I had the choice, that's what I'd change about me.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like to think that you can change pretty much anything about yourself if you try hard enough. A few years ago I would have said 'my social skills' here but I worked on that problem and now I am getting increasingly better at meeting new people.

These days I tend to view my life in terms of things I can improve about myself, and the list is still sizeable :) top of the list are two things I hope to get going with when I get back to uni, which are: to get fit, and to get driving. I think these two things will help a lot with my confidence and then I might finally be how I want to be..!

Physically, I wouldn't mind being a little taller. I'm 5'6, but most of the time it isn't that much of a problem, nobody takes me less seriously, and I've never been turned down by a woman that I've actually been attracted based solely on height. Just to satisfy myself a bit I guess. I like feeling big. :D

Emotionally I've found myself to be pretty cynical towards things depsite my overly optimistic attitudes. I'd really like to try and work on that.

I like to think that you can change pretty much anything about yourself if you try hard enough. A few years ago I would have said 'my social skills' here but I worked on that problem and now I am getting increasingly better at meeting new people.

These days I tend to view my life in terms of things I can improve about myself, and the list is still sizeable :) top of the list are two things I hope to get going with when I get back to uni, which are: to get fit, and to get driving. I think these two things will help a lot with my confidence and then I might finally be how I want to be..!
you can only change your attitude to things, you can't change how good you are at Pokémon, just your attitude to getting better at it. so technically you can't change anything

Procrastination, probably, although I work significantly better under pressure, the stress knowing that I need to finish something but not wanting to do it is kind of annoying :P

If anything else, it'd probably be my tolerance for mediocrity

This. Was too lazy to even write a full reply, hence the quote.

My obsession with going a few layers deep into everything I'm interested in. I wish I could stick to a few things rather than learning the ins and outs of everything.

My laziness as someone mentioned above. I always make an effort to go to bed early or get my homework done in time, but my consistent naps and useless things i do on the internet seem to get in the way. I'm going to college on the fall and hope i can shape up before then, I still feel like a young teenager again, only doing enough to get by. I look around and see my friends taking steps to change their old ways and starting anew, and i just feel like I've been the same for the past 4 years in terms of getting things done. My brother once told me that "Adults do it now, children do it later" and what he had said to me then has been echoing in my mind for the past 6 months now.

So if i had to change anything about me it would be that =]

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Communication skills. Although you may know me well as a fairly talkative person on IRC, I am abnormally quiet around people I don't know very well irl, barring certain events. This has led me to never trying out any school activities since 6th grade :(

Probably general mood lately. Been feeling down, depressed, pessimistic. Zoning out a lot too.

Or my leg injury. Playing sports usually keeps me relaxed.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would change my work ethic. My drive for success is not direct-able into academics or anything that doesn't immediately interest me, and this will inevitably be my downfall.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
My weight.

God I'm so self centered. Maybe if I were skinnier all of my other problems would go away.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would change my ability to take initiative / be ambitious.

In school I always do extremely well, but it doesn't translate very well to the real world. I find myself motivated by getting good marks that will in turn allow me to progress further to my goal, which is in this case my university degree. I do not find myself ever really doing any sort of work for the sake of learning, for the sake of bettering myself, but rather just to get that mark so I can get that degree. I have tried every subject but I have never really found one that has perked my interest enough to have me do anything "outside the classroom". CompSci which is a subject I genuinely enjoy, even falls into this. An example is for one project, we had to build a pretty watered down poker game. I completed the assignment no problem and I was interested in making it into a full fledged poker game with several features, but I just never got around to doing it because I guess I don't care. I'd rather sit around and do nothing with a group of friends at a coffee shop.

For now it's not an issue at all, as school is going great, but I feel that down the road it will seriously bite me in the ass when it comes time for a career!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)