Quick Sweeps- A powerful, yet balanced OU Team

EDIT: Okay... I made some BIG changes. Movesets, EVs, even pokemon changes. I believe this team makes much more sense than the last, and covers each other far better than the last one could ever hope to do.
*Pokemon Changes*
--->

--->

------------------------
Onto the actual team.
I've been away from the competitive scene since Gen 3, but I own and have played the Gen 4 and Gen 5 games. Now several months into Gen 5, I decided to come back to competitive battling. This is my first RMT (edited). Criticize away!
------------------------

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD
Moves: Stealth Rock, Spikes, Power Whip, Thunder Wave

Pretty standard. This is my party leader. First he'll set up Stealth Rocks. Then he can stack Spikes for added damage. He can cripple most opponents with thunder wave, and then pummel with STAB power whip. If I'm lucky, he may cause an early switch so I can get another layer of spikes out. He can also cover well as a switch-in for any of my sweepers depending on the attack.
------------------------

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers/Wacan Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/164 Def/92 Speed
Moves: Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Recover

This is my efficient spin blocker, sweep breaker, and status inducer. He can shake off most hits with ease, whether they be physical or special. The speed EVs allow him to outspeed the average Tyranitar and Adamant Scizor, and Skarmory. After I burn that Scizor, or most physical threats, they're done for. My staple attacking move, Scald, is there to insure I can pass out the burns as much as possible. Taunt prevents him from being roared away. Recover just increases his staying power, allowing me to annoy the opponent longer.
------------------------

Volcarona (M) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD /252 Speed
Moves: Fiery Dance, Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Hidden Power Rock

This is my token special sweeper and, thanks to Quiver Dance, a powerful special wall. He fears very few pokemon. EV spread is standard. The max speed EVs allow him to outspeed timid choice scarf Rotom-W with max speed EVs before even using quiver dance. And after a quiver dance, he eliminates that Rotom-W in one hit with Bug Buzz despite it being only neutral damage, and he OHKO's Sassy Tyranitar most of the time. Starmie and Hydreigon are also OHKO'd in the same fashion. Hidden Power Rock takes out Gyarados and Salamence and Ninetales (if against a sun team) in one hit, and Dragonite after it switches onto stealth rocks.
------------------------

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 84 HP/252 Atk/172 Speed
Moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Fire Fang

This little monster is very similar to Volcarona. He is a sweeper too, but a physical sweeper. And thanks to his ability, Intimidate, he can take quite a few physical hits if necessary. After one Dragon Dance to raise speed, he outpaces timid choice scarf Heatran with max speed EVs. Naughty nature is preferred, as after one Dragon Dance, he only has to worry about physical priority attacks like Bullet Punch. Dragon Claw over Outrage since I don't like being predicted or walled. Earthquake allows for great coverage, and dealing with Heatran. Fire Fang will take out Ferrothorn or Scizor in one hit after a Dragon Dance.
------------------------

Starmie (M) @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
Moves: Rapid Spin, Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam

My next special sweeper, and spinner. This starfish can push away the hazards and begin the sweep. Starmie excels where Volcarona may fail. If Heatran should come out, I switch out that special sweeper (Volcarona) for this one. Surf OHKO's any Heatran that is not a special tank. Thunderbolt ends the stalemate of bulky water types like Jellicent or Gyarados, and Ice Beam OHKO's any dragons that dare tempt fate. Tell me if I should use only 212 speed EVs, so that I can outpace all base speed 110 pokemon, such as Gengar and Latios/as. It might be enough.
------------------------

Terrakion (M) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Moves: Close Combat, Stone Edge, X-Scissor, Earthquake

My next physical sweeper, and powerful revenge killer. His excellent offensive typing gives him coverage against almost all pokemon solely with his STAB attacks, and X-Scissor is for insurance against psychics. Earthquake just for the heck of it. He can revenge kill anything that switches onto stealth rock, and even most pokemon that do not. This pokemon is Blissey's bane, able to OHKO her with just one Close Combat. It'll force her to switch out. Only really Skarmory can wall this beast. I'm really loving this powerhouse.
------------------------------------

4 Sweepers- 2 physical and 2 special- two of them can serve double duty as physical or special walls, stealth rocks, spikes, a spinner and spin blocker. Am I missing anything at all? Let me know.

I'd suggest putting dragon dance on salamence over dragon tail, as once you can get some attack boosts you wont really need to be forcing anything out, you should be killin em, especially with salamence's perfect coverage.

I'd suggest Dragon dance or roost over Dragon tail on your mence .
Scald over water spout and toxic over WoW , scald is better if your opponent switch on a sweeper you can burn him and hurt him .

Heatran can be very dangerous for your team . I'd suggest HP ground over HP ice for volca .

No joke, I was going to add dragon dance to salamence's move list, but forgot. Well, scald over water spout is something i've already thought about but i'll give it some more thought...

Okay, I changed some things based on the suggestions. I don't like HP ground due to the chance Heatran is holding Air Balloon...
I'll just have to switch pokemon.
How is my team now? I'd appreciate the feedback.

i spent some time looking at this team and was really wary about 3 steel-types with the 2 sweepers weak to sr ... i still kind of am. i guess id replace metagross with lo spin starmie (hydro pump/ice beam/rapid spin/recover or tbolt) and give ferrothorn stealth rock over leech seed - a team like this doesnt really need the seeding. starmie patches up a few weaknesses to fire, a landorus weakness, and even the sd lo terrakion weakness (as in after 1 sd, it ohkos everything V_V)

blissey could be a problem but ferro + jellicent combination should handle that decently... i have just some basic suggestions past that:

surf instead of water spout on jellicent - water spout is way too unreliable on something that cant even 2hko a ton of the meta, you will really just want the reliable power of surf if you want to hit hart. or you could go scald for the burn

52 speed evs instead of 24 speed evs on volcarona - stopping at starmie isn't what you want! after 1, you outspeed alakazam and scarf ttar, and after 2 quiver with my spread, you outspeed +1 base 100s at max speed (and even base 101 landorus which is absolutely necesarry!)

i think you need the speed on mence .. bulk it nice but using a spread of just naive 252 atk/4 spa/252 spe is much safer incase you are fighting something you need to desperately outspeed. bulk is fine on volca...you are somewhat pushing it with mence. id also replace fire blast with roost since starmie/volc/maggy handle pretty much all the steels you need it for..just spam outrage :D

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Your movesets need a little tweaking. If you put Scald over Water Spout and Will-o-Wisp over Toxic, you do not have to worry about the many steel types that would come in on Jellicent to wall your current Jellicent set. Furthermore, Water Absorb is a much more reliable ability than Cursed Body.

I also don't understand the concept of Life Orb with HP Investment. The speed for volcarona is crucial to outspeed Scarf Rotom and the Life Orb isn't helping you take the hydro pumps any better. So you're gonna have to either put lefties or more speed.

Furthermore, I do not believe you have a need for Magnezone, as both of your primary sweepers handle those steel types it plans on taking out.

you also have two sweepers weak to stealth rock, so i suggest running donphan or claydol as your spinner. Donphan also brings priority which is always good if you need to finish off a weakened pokemon.

People, I don't mean to be an attention wh***... but I changed up the team significantly and would appreciate feedback more than ever. I think it should be to most people's likings as I love it.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
Run a Bold nature on Jellicent, and give it 92 speed, so that it may outspeed skarmory. 248 HP, 92 Spd, 128 Def, and the rest should fall into special defense. On Volcarona, run a Timid nature, with HP rock. Leftovers should replace Life Orb, as it needs some sort of recovery. On Salamence run Life Orb with Dragon Claw instead of Outrage. Throw a scarf on Terrakion, and run an adament nature. Close Combat, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and X-Scissor.

Look at it as though it says HP Rock. It is in the description under Volcarona's moves, I just forgot to change the moves. And now on my phone it is not letting me edit that. Anway I will consider all the suggestions. Thanks for your input.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This team gets throttled in rain, latios can come in and OHKO everything but ferro with boosted surfs and 100% accuracy thunder

You have too many setup sweepers and your lacking revenge killers and priority, so you can either use cb metagross over terrakion or throw a choice scarf on it

You have too many setup sweepers and your lacking revenge killers and priority, so you can either use cb metagross over terrakion or throw a choice scarf on it
You're right, and last night I thought about that and decided to throw a choice scarf on Terrakion. It is already done. But lack of priority is still true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)