SM OU Qwilfish's Plan

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Introduction:
If you know anything about me, you’ll know that this is my flagship team and one of my favorite squads to use. This team was something I made after talking in call with Vertex about Qwilfish rain after playing around versus his quadruple swift swim team because I realized how good this thing could be on rain when taken seriously. I ended up making several iterations of this team and have determined that it’s basically a team that you can easily alter attempting to snipe certain matchups and I’ll post the version that most people know. I know multiple people, including myself, that have gotten top 10 on ladder at some point this gen with this team and it’s flooded upper ladder at certain points in the last few months, so it's certainly been an effective team for laddering if nothing else. Personally, I've also never lost with this team during tournament games on smogon, whether they be official or not, (my records somewhere in the ballpark of 10-0) so it's at least got something outside of pure ladder success. My favorite part of this team is that it's absurdly customizable and can be changed to have completely different favorable and unfavorable matchups, with only the first 4 being "mandatory" on this team. I’ve decided not to include a teambuilding process in this RMT because of how linear rain is to build and there's a substantial amount of replays of me playing with many different variations of this team if you poke around and look, so I don't see any reason to include a replay section either. Thanks you for reading my RMT and I hope you guys enjoy it!

Team at a Glance:

The Essentials:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Starting off the team is the rain setter and easily the most integral member of this team in Pelipper. With the release of Pokemon Sun and Moon, Pelipper got a new toy in Drizzle that let it quickly rise to become the premier rain setter in OU and provide a huge boon to rain teams, being able to nab momentum with U-turn as well as provide utility with Defog removing pesky entry hazards to the rest of the team. Aside from being the primary rain setter on this team and a utility mon that can gain momentum, Pelipper is also a soli check to a lot of threatening offensive Pokemon and can come in clutch versus a myriad of threats due to its natural bulk. I can't count the number of times that Pelipper has just barely lived a hit from an SD Hawlucha or DD Zygarde and gotten off a game winning burn or pivot into a check that I have on my team, and this thing obviously puts in work every single game, whether it be through team support or defensive utility. I've toyed around with Specs Pelipper + Damp Rock Rain Dance mon as last and it's definitely effective in some matchups because Specs Pelipper can be an incredible effective wallbreaker vs bulkier teams along with its ability to lure in and cripple Chansey with Specs Knock Off for teammates, but I tend to stick to using this set because it gives me more flexibility in my last few teamslots.

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

Here comes the star of the show and Pokemon that this team is based around: Qwilfish! I know that a lot of people on this site think that Qwilfish is just a meme mon that I use for fun, but I legitimately think has a solid niche in this metagame over other rain sweepers. I'd frankly rather use Qwilfish over any other Swift Swimmer in the tier bar Swampert by virtue of its fantastic qualities that help out rain teams immensely. After an SD, Qwilfish's Liquidations hit absurdly hard in rain, 2HKOing the likes of Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur in rain as well as being able to revenge kill boosting sweepers like QD Volcarona and weakened SG Magearna. This thing oftentimes ends up sweeping by itself due to how quickly it can rack up multiple kills with the insane power of +2 Liquidation in tandem with PJab being able to hit Grass-types, but Qwilfish frankly isn't even used as a sweeper on this team. Qwilfish's main role is to break to clear the way to a sweep from one of the other 3 rain abusers on the team. SD + Boom allows Qwilfish to accomplish feats such as OHKOing Ferrothorn at +4, OHKOing Toxapex at +2, OHKOing Gastrodon at +0, OHKOing Mantine at +0, and many others, being able to adequately remove standard rain checks. Even if your opponent predicts correctly and pivots into something else on boom, even Steel-types take a fuckton from +2 boom and likely get chunked into range of something on the team that they normally wall. The reason why I'm using Liquidation>Waterfall is because it's a breaker for Pert, so it's aiming to dole out as much damage as possible, being able to net notable KOs such as the OHKO with +2 Liquid in rain vs Celesteela. Obviously Qwilfish is by no means the best mon on rain teams and has its slew of flaws, but this thing is good as fuck and a fantastic wallbreaker for this team in particular due to the offensive synergy that it shares with Ash-Gren, Pert, and Koko.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Rain Dance
- Ice Punch

Mega Swampert is the main sweeper of this team and the mon that ends up winning by far the most games out of anything on this team. Mega Swampert under rain is plain unfair sometimes, having absurdly strong rain-boosted Waterfalls along with fantastic coverage in EQ/Ice Punch along with being able to set up its own rain if Pelipper goes down in the late game. On top of that, Mega Swampert is incredibly bulky, especially for an offensive Pokemon, so it gets ample opportunities to switch in and wreak havoc on the opposing team. Mega Pert is a sweeper, so the ability to flinch foes and cheese past stuff you normally wouldn't beat late game is huge and a lot more useful than the power boost from Aqua Tail. Also, Aqua Tail's tendency to miss at key moments really hurts Mega Swampert's consistency as a sweeper when using it. If you find yourself using a variant of this team that's overly weak to Kartana, you can run Jolly + Superpower to revenge kill SD Kartana after a spike or lure in Scarf Kartana for teammates. This thing is also really nice in terms of its defensive utility on this team, being able to switch into non-specs Koko with ease and being able to check key offensive threats like SD Lando-T and SG Magearna (If Jolly). Obviously, Mega Swampert isn't the perfect rain sweeper by any means, but it's certainly very scary to face and an integral member of this team. When I choose to get rid of Tapu Koko for something like SD Kartana to have a better matchup vs bulkier teams, I tend to use Edge on this thing to snipe mantine, but that's definitely just a personal preference kind of thing.

Ferrothorn @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn is another very important to this team, being the secondary defensive pivot for this team and a fantastic blanket check to an absurd amount of Pokemon. My favorite part about Ferrothorn aside from the multitude of Pokemon it checks is that its set is super customizable based on a combination of team structure and personal preference. I've changed this thing to things like Chople TWave during time periods that ladder was getting flooded with Psychic Spam or Lefties Gyro when I've wanted a more consistent way of heavily damaging CM + PsyZ Lele. There's a myriad of other options that can be used on Ferro, my favorite combination being Thunder + HP Fire + Power Whip + Knock Off on a team with Rocks Pert + Spikes Greninja when me and some of my friends were trying to cteam someone for a ghosting tour(don't use him). Providing a switch into mons that are otherwise incredible threats to rain like Ash Greninja, Scarf Kartana locked into Leaf Blade, and Specs Tapu Koko (2HKOs everything with Dazzling Gleam) is super good and why this thing is basically impossible to replace otherwise. Knock Off is usually my favorite move to use in the last slot because it takes pressure off of Tapu Koko to break through opposing Ferrothorn, but if you're running Superpower Swampert, then it can be foregone for something like Gyro Ball to better vs PsychicSpam.

The Other Goons

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Greninja is a Pokemon that I oftentimes find myself putting on Qwilfish Rain because its an incredible offensive threat under rain and can straight up bust past Pokemon that normally counter it outside of rain due to the absurd boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Additionally, being able to throw down Spikes means that Ferrothorn can run rocks and Pert can run whatever it wants in the last slot or I can run rocks Pert with utility move Ferro, giving my team a lot more flexibility in terms of moveslots. If you want to run hazards on Ferro/Pert, you can just run Ice Beam on this thing and snipe AV Bulu for teammates since that thing is usually annoying as fuck for this team, halving the damage of Pert's EQ and constantly healing itself with terrain. This thing is also just an absurdly strong breaker under rain, being able to do achieve insane feats like 2HKOing AV Magearna in rain after a Spike before it even transforms. Also, this thing can make a fantastic late game win condition with Specs Rain boosted Water Shuriken being able to run a train through some teams with relative ease. This thing is a prolific offensive threat under rain and has to be danced around carefully.

Tapu Koko @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Thunder
- U-Turn
- Taunt

Rounding out the team is Tapu Koko, another supporting breaker to weaken things for Mega Swampert to sweep. Z Nature's Madness can instantly take Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu that would otherwise be huge nuisances to the team down the vast majority of their HP, giving teammates the opportunity to sweep. However, Tapu Koko's set can also be changed around quite a bit. If the variant of the team that you're using is heavily focused on special attackers an just blows past stall with Chansey gone (probably one of the Kingdra variants), then you can change this up to Z Wild Charge in that case. Also, if you are trying to get a better matchup versus super offensive teams and just want a threat that can blast past then late game, you can use an offensive Z Thunder set to get off late game nukes that guarantee you claim one, whether you are in rain or not. Aside from luring and weakening threats to the team most of the time, Tapu Koko is also a great way of pressuring annoying waters like Toxapex and Mantine that otherwise annoy the fuck out of teammates to maintain offensive pressure and is overall one of my favorite members on this team. I like using taunt on this set a lot personally because it pressures bulkier teams a lot more, but HP Ice is definitely a viable option in order to not be Lando food.
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

Ferrothorn @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Explosion
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab

Tapu Koko @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- U-turn

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes
Threatlist (Keep in mind this changes based on team variant):
- PsychicSpam is the single most annoying matchup for this team, especially if the opponent elects to use Eball Alakazam. With my current Ferro set, your best bet is to take out Tapu Lele as soon as possible and try to chip Zam into Shuriken range, but this gameplan can obviously be exceedingly difficult to execute versus a good opponent. It isn't an unwinnable matchup by any means and I've been able to play my way into beating it with this version of the team quite a few times, but running Chople Twave Ferro can help a fuckton in this matchup if you can paralyze MegaZam.

- Fat grasses can be annoying as fuck to deal with if your opponent plays them well. Tapuinium Koko is your main way to damage these guys, but you can be put into a tough spot if they outpredict your Z-move. This is where Knock Off Ferrothorn comes in handy a lot because you can prevent Ferrothorn from passively healing while being able to spam Knock to chip it down if you don't need your own Ferro and it can also remove Bulu's AV, meaning that Gren can muscle past it with the rain boost. Obviously fat grasses aren't a horrible matchup or even a really bad one, but you have to play smart around them or else they'll end up eating your ass.

- The above grasses are defensive threats, but Kartana is its own animal altogether. SD Kartana isn't too bad to deal with since you have Swampert to revenge kill it after not too much chip damage along with Tapu Koko and Ash-Greninja that OHKO it as is, but Scarf can be an absolute pain to switch into if your opponent predicts correctly and its new addition of Knock Off makes it a lot more risky to switch Pelipper into because losing your Damp Rock can be the difference between losing and winning a game and losing your Ferrothorn trying to pivot into a Leaf Blade can screw you over stuff like MegaZam too.

- Fat waters in general are pretty annoying to deal with, but I'm going to focus on Toxapex in particular here because it's by far the most common one that you can face. If you don't play conservatively with Qwilfish, then you can very well end up losing the game because all of your rain sweepers have been poisoned by Toxic Spikes. Knock Off/Toxic/Recover variants are by far the worst ones to face because everything besides the entire team despises switching into it and you can straight up lose the game if you switch into the wrong move. Obviously you can pretty easily break past Toxapex with several members of the team, but it can potentially cripple your wincon to the point of losing the game if you aren't careful.
Gary - We used to talk way more before you quit, but you definitely deserve a shoutout here. If it weren't for your help, I likely would never have been unbanned in the first place, and for that I'm eternally grateful. Spending time talking with you about mons, whether it be through text chat or in voice calls, has always been enjoyable for me to do and you're a really cool guy in general. Talking to you about your irl has really helped me gain insight on a couple of things irl an while I may not say it explicitly, becoming friends with you really helped me mature.

Vertex - You were the inspiration for this team in the first place and while you don't play this game anymore, it's still really nice to talk to you on snap and I'm super glad I met you here. Laddering with idiotic nonsense in call and winning Den ghosting tour with you is a blast, so make sure to hit me up when you inevitably get pulled back into this game fam.

imsosorrylol - You're probably the biggest headass I've ever had the misfortunate of being friends with, but I don't regret a minute of time we've spent together and you've helped me through so much and anyone who thinks you're a shitty person just hasn't made the effort to truly know you. I hope you prove all the haters wrong by smashing everyone in OST this year and keep making broken ass cheese bro.

njnp - If it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't have ended up improving as a user as much as I did and you've been a fantastic friend. Good Saturdays has been a very interesting experience for me and I'm glad that I never left for good the many times that I did and hope that you have good luck with all your business endeavors in the future fam.

teal6 - I know that we talk pretty sporadically, but you're legitimately one of the nicest people that I've ever met on this website and someone that I always enjoy having conversations with and hope that we can eventually play in a team tour together in the future. You're also one of the funniest people on this website and people don't talk about that nearly enough.

Energy - You're one of my closest friends on this site and have been both a great friend an mentor in DPP and there's never one time that I don't enjoy the hours of time that we spend together in call. You're a GOAT and I hope that you can finally start in SPL soon so that you can prove just how good you really are.

Noveliss - You aren't exactly the most active person on smogon by a long shot, but I still gotta give you a shoutout here nontheless. Draco has been the stem of where I've been since I came back from my break this year and I've met a lot of good friends there. You're also arguably the funniest dude I've ever met on discord and someone who's always enjoyable to shittalk with.

Dokkerich DenisTheMenace - Thank you guys so much for giving me the chance to join that chat that is Den of Thieves. Den is probably the chat where I've met the most of my closest friends and the place that helped me get a lot better at comp mons in general, so being there has been a real treat. You guys are both stand up guys and I'm happy to call myself one of your friends.

Team Pokepals - You were one of my first ever friends on this website and while we don't talk nearly as much as we used to, I'm always happy to see you online and have conversations with and you helping me get into RMT helped me meet a lot of really cool people and discover a way of helping people that I really enjoy. Make sure to enjoy yourself irl and take some time for yourself sometimes bro.

There's a fuckton of other people that should be here like ub, kdot, talah, etc. from den/other chats, the whole good saturdays crowd, and matty/obii/jase from day ones, but I really included my closest friends from each part of the community I'm a part of that I could with a couple others thrown in, so these are going to be all the shoutouts I do for now unless someone wants to annoy me to give them a specific shoutout.
Conclusion:
Thank you guys so much for reading this RMT. I know that this was pretty long, but if you stayed to read the entire thing, then I appreciate you and sincerely hope that you enjoyed reading it because this RMT was actually pretty fun to write. In the future months, I'll be trying to go as far as I can in OST and various other smogon tournaments and trying to play in offsite PLs to try and better myself as much of a player as I can for now because this is basically the best time for me to invest a lot of effort into this game. I'm always looking for testing buddies and new people, so please hmu if you're interested in either. If anyone ever wants to talk about life, music, or just chill together, feel free to hmu on discord.

Last edited:
That moment when u dont throw shoutouts to the one other qwilfriend on smogon. My only other change is one i know u hate but will throw it out so this wont be a one liner. I recommend maybe defensive zapdos, beats hawlucha, who is a threat if ur koko is weakened enough or its boosted and has any neutral coverage. My other suggestion is waterium z qwil, a set only i use fsr, cuz it takes down a weakened ferro or oex at pluz 2 under rain with z and kills almost everything else. Some tasty calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Qwilfish Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega in Rain: 433-510 (126.2 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Qwilfish Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Rain: 262-309 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Qwilfish Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black in Rain: 378-445 (96.6 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
And, while this doesnt have the reusability of life orb, it has the perk of not leaving u as susceptible to priority and revenge kills.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That moment when u dont throw shoutouts to the one other qwilfriend on smogon. My only other change is one i know u hate but will throw it out so this wont be a one liner. I recommend maybe defensive zapdos, beats hawlucha, who is a threat if ur koko is weakened enough or its boosted and has any neutral coverage. My other suggestion is waterium z qwil, a set only i use fsr, cuz it takes down a weakened ferro or oex at pluz 2 under rain with z and kills almost everything else. Some tasty calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Qwilfish Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega in Rain: 433-510 (126.2 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Qwilfish Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Rain: 262-309 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Qwilfish Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black in Rain: 378-445 (96.6 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
And, while this doesnt have the reusability of life orb, it has the perk of not leaving u as susceptible to priority and revenge kills.
  • Shuriken OHKOs Lucha in rain + Pelipper can eat one hit and put it in range of pre-ash shuri, so it's not really a big deal as is. Not to mention that defensive zapdos completely shuts down the momentum of this team and is more often than not just going to end up eating my rain turns.
  • LO Liquid + Jab dispatches of both the most common Sciz set rn and Kyu-B, so there's literally no reason to run waterz if they're your intended targets. Yeah you have to sack yourself to get rid of Pex, but the increased power from orb actually nets a bunch of significant kills that I can post if you so please. On top of that, the whole point of using Qwilfish in the first place is having a breaker that weakens shit for pert without using up your z slot so using Waterium Z is pretty counter intuitive and ends up leaving you a lot worse off vs most opposing teams in the long run due to not being able to run something like SD + Z Kartana or Z Koko.
I do appreciate the attempt to make suggestions though. If anyone else has any criticisms, I'll be glad to hear them!

gods plan has a video now so i'd use that instead of the spotify player

make pelipper more physdef to take on scarf kart a little better. i'd also consider hurricane>scald since it deals with lucha that much better and also ohkos kart. like most of the time you'll be clicking u turn on pelipper anyway, and its not like you'll have a bad lando matchup if you get rid of scald.

shiny pert is aids please fix that garbage.

team seems pretty good so there's not much to change imo. solid matchup vs the meta overall and i think qwilfish is a really cool breaker for rain.

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
The team is good, but you might need other rain options. The team is so weak to grass that a Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu/Kartana would shoot it down. Sticky Web teams are a problem, too, as long as Pelliper is out. Other rain teams are a problem, too. It's in your best interest to add another defogger, such as Choice Scarf Latias to act as a Healing Wish cleric for Pelliper, as well as removing Sticky Web.

Garou

Banned deucer.
The team is good, but you might need other rain options. The team is so weak to grass that a Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu/Kartana would shoot it down. Sticky Web teams are a problem, too, as long as Pelliper is out. Other rain teams are a problem, too. It's in your best interest to add another defogger, such as Choice Scarf Latias to act as a Healing Wish cleric for Pelliper, as well as removing Sticky Web.
I don't agree with the first statement, since he can easily take on Tapu Bulu or Kart if theyre scarfed and get choice locked into a grass move by going into ferro, or if a fighting move into koko or sth. He can also revenge kill a slightly weakened kart with ash gren, and tapu bulu with qwilfish the god. I would recommend defog>taunt because webs can be annoying but its personal preference rly since u have spikes+rocks so defog might not be the best option. Love the team and seeing Qwilfish is awesome I love that pokemon!

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana in Rain: 303-357 (116.5 - 137.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
I don't agree with the first statement, since he can easily take on Tapu Bulu or Kart if theyre scarfed and get choice locked into a grass move by going into ferro, or if a fighting move into koko or sth. He can also revenge kill a slightly weakened kart with ash gren, and tapu bulu with qwilfish the god. I would recommend defog>taunt because webs can be annoying but its personal preference rly since u have spikes+rocks so defog might not be the best option. Love the team and seeing Qwilfish is awesome I love that pokemon!
Agreed with this. You do need to defend Pelliper a lot more because without Pelliper, your team is weak. I really do recommend a Choice Scarf Latias for that reason, so you can have Pelliper switch in, to get rain in, then switch out. Latias can use Healing Wish to recover Pelliper when it's injured, because Pelliper carries this team. Without Pelliper, you're gonna have a hard time.

I agree with the changes stated above. Latias is great on this team in the place of tapu koko, giving an essential second life to Pelipper. I'm using a fully physical defence Pelipper, though this is debatable with Hurricane instead of Scald, to handle better Hawlucha. Qwilfish is just mean, I love it! Dunno about versus Ferrothorn though, maybe Superpower on Mega Swamp would be good then, seeing that with Latias, Rain is easier to maintain. Anyways keep it up!

I agree with the changes stated above. Latias is great on this team in the place of tapu koko, giving an essential second life to Pelipper. I'm using a fully physical defence Pelipper, though this is debatable with Hurricane instead of Scald, to handle better Hawlucha. Qwilfish is just mean, I love it! Dunno about versus Ferrothorn though, maybe Superpower on Mega Swamp would be good then, seeing that with Latias, Rain is easier to maintain. Anyways keep it up!
I disagree! Latias does not do anything on the team. But apart from that, it just worsens your Tyranitar match-up, which is something u generally do not want, especially on rain.

For this reason, I am going to suggest one change...

Tapuium Z > Electrium Z; Tapu-Koko: You do not lose much from running Tapunium, in my opinion, since Nature's Madness + Thunder will be able to do well versus most stall match-ups. Also your sand match-up will definitely improve, if Dazzling Gleam is being run. It is pretty much the same set, only with U-Turn over Dazzling Gleam, since it is the most expandable move of the four in terms of stall-breaking.

LL plz notice me senpai, and hope this kinda helps ^^

Last edited:

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
The sets literally running Tapuinium Z fam
Tapunium Z is not Farium Z. Tapunium Z grants access to Guardian of Alola, that always deals 75% of the opponent’s max HP, equal to two consecutive Nature’s Madness. Farium Z grants access to Twinkle Tackle, which acts just like any other offensive Z-Move like Shattered Psyche and Savage Spin-Out. What I’m getting at here is that Tapunium Z will never KO an opponent unless they are at 1 hitpoint. Farium Z can OHKO an opponent.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
I'm gonna actually respond to all the feedback I got here instead of making one snarky comment to patlop. I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given me, but I'm not editing the actual OP of the RMT because this is moreso an archived team that I've had a lot of success with over time. Also I added in the YT Music Video for God's Plan because it's a fantastic video and way better than just the standalone song.

make pelipper more physdef to take on scarf kart a little better. i'd also consider hurricane>scald since it deals with lucha that much better and also ohkos kart. like most of the time you'll be clicking u turn on pelipper anyway, and its not like you'll have a bad lando matchup if you get rid of scald.
I've actually toyed around with cane a bit and I've actually found it to be better than scald currently, just haven't put it in the RMT. I'm obviously gonna miss the ability to fish for burns, but I'm pretty sure that this will be more than worth it. When this team was originally conceived and peaked, lucha was hardly ever used on ladder at all and scald's increased consistency vs stuff like zyg helped a lot. I'll mess around with EV spread benchmarks and stuff for peli until I come up with something I like.

I can admit that scarf kart can be somewhat problematic, hence why I mentioned jolly SP on pert, but I have plenty of room to outplay it and frankly don't think that replacing a team member is the answer here. However, webs is a nonissue because my rain sweepers can usually just run through webs offense pretty easily and I can get peli in on a myriad of mons to fog after their suicide lead goes down. Adding a latias onto this team would be really stupid because it would provide a massive momentum drain and make this team way weaker to fat than it already is, with me either not having koko to lure in shit for teammates or no gren to pressure the opposing team with spikes. HW is very nice, but it's not worth exacerbating my already annoying mu vs pex bulu types of balances. Also, this makes tar way more annoying to deal with because it just gives the thing free switch ins to offset rain.

I would recommend defog>taunt because webs can be annoying but its personal preference rly since u have spikes+rocks so defog might not be the best option. Love the team and seeing Qwilfish is awesome I love that pokemon!
Running fog makes no sense because this team's super reliant on hazards for pressuring fat and without taunt, shit like chans and frens can just heal back up after getting z moved because all i have to hit them is thunder.

Fairium Z > Electrium Z; Tapu-Koko: You do not lose much from running Fairium, in my opinion and your sand match-up will definitely improve, if Dazzling Gleam is being run. It is pretty much the same set, only with U-Turn over Dazzling Gleam, since it is the most expandable move of the four in terms of stall-breaking.
My koko's currently running tapuinium to lure in stuff like fat grasses for pert/gren as well as chansey for gren more specifically while running fairum makes it way harder to deal with fat teams. You said to replace electrium in the rate which doesn't really make sense since that's not my current item, but im guessing it was just a typo on your part lol. I'm perfectly confident in my sand MU and barely ever lose to sand teams w/the current build because of how good pert and gren are at pressuring the archetype due to their overreliance on spin drill or a scarfer to get rid of hazards.

Last edited:
Tapunium Z is not Farium Z. Tapunium Z grants access to Guardian of Alola, that always deals 75% of the opponent’s max HP, equal to two consecutive Nature’s Madness. Farium Z grants access to Twinkle Tackle, which acts just like any other offensive Z-Move like Shattered Psyche and Savage Spin-Out. What I’m getting at here is that Tapunium Z will neverKO an opponent unless they are at 1 hitpoint. Farium Z can OHKO an opponent.
My bad, but the suggestion stays and the fact that the team is weak to Tyranitar still remains. Yes, I got the set wrong, does it change my whole argumentation? No.

I'm gonna actually respond to all the feedback I got here instead of making one snarky comment to my nigga patlop lmao. I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given me, but I'm not editing the actual OP of the RMT because this is moreso an archived team that I've had a lot of success with over time. Also I edited the YT Music Video for God's Plan because it's one of the best things I've ever seen.

I've actually toyed around with cane a bit and I've actually found it to be better than scald currently, just haven't put it in the RMT. I'm obviously gonna miss the ability to fish for burns, but I'm pretty sure that this will be more than worth it. When this team was originally conceived and peaked, lucha was hardly ever used on ladder at all and scald's increased consistency vs stuff like zyg helped a lot. I'll mess around with EV spread benchmarks and stuff for peli until I come up with something I like.

I can admit that scarf kart can be somewhat problematic, hence why I mentioned jolly SP on pert, but I have plenty of room to outplay it and frankly don't think that replacing a team member is the answer here. However, webs is a nonissue because my rain sweepers can usually just run through webs offense pretty easily and I can get peli in on a myriad of mons to fog after their suicide lead goes down. Adding a latias onto this team would be really stupid because it would provide a massive momentum drain and make this team way weaker to fat than it already is, with me either not having koko to lure in shit for teammates or no gren to pressure the opposing team with spikes. HW is very nice, but it's not worth exacerbating my already annoying mu vs pex bulu types of balances. Also, this makes tar way more annoying to deal with because it just gives the thing free switch ins to offset rain.

Running fog makes no sense because this team's super reliant on hazards for pressuring fat and without taunt, shit like chans and frens can just heal back up after getting z moved because all i have to hit them is thunder.

[QUOTE="patlop2307, post: 7691069, member: 316826"Fairium Z > Electrium Z; Tapu-Koko: You do not lose much from running Fairium, in my opinion and your sand match-up will definitely improve, if Dazzling Gleam is being run. It is pretty much the same set, only with U-Turn over Dazzling Gleam, since it is the most expandable move of the four in terms of stall-breaking.
My koko's currently running tapuinium to lure in stuff like fat grasses for pert/gren as well as chansey for gren more specifically while running fairum makes it way harder to deal with fat teams. You said to replace electrium in the rate which doesn't really make sense since that's not my current item, but im guessing it was just a typo on your part lol. I'm perfectly confident in my sand MU and barely ever lose to sand teams w/the current build because of how good pert and gren are at pressuring the archetype due to their overreliance on spin drill or a scarfer to get rid of hazards.[/QUOTE]
I mistook it for Electrium lmfao. Anyways, while I do respect the fact that you want the Tapunium for fatter teams, I still think that a well played Tyranitar, especially when Choice Banded can put a huge hole in your team, since your Crunch switch in is either Ferrothorn having little recovery options or Tapu-Koko having no recovery options.

Hey, I'm not saying that Tapunium is not a good choice and I am not saying that you automatically 100% lose to sand (as in Tyranitar + Exca), I'm just saying that Tyranitar can pose as a threat to the team, hence I'm suggesting it.

And yea, I'm go edit my initial reply later lmao.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)