Rain Dance teams

So I'm planning a rain dance team and could do with some help from you more experienced guys.
How many rain dancers will I need? 2? 3?
What pokemon are good candidates for rain dance? I've seen bronzong quite often on rain dance teams as the opener.

Thanks in advance.

Use about 2, and at least one of them should have Wet Rock or whatever it's called so it lasts longer than a mere 5 turns. Dugtrio isn't a bad idea as it kills Tyranitar, which in turn kills off your Rain parade. Poliwrath makes an okay Rain Dancer because it switches in on Tyranitar quite decently, but I'm more fond of Manaphy for general sturdiness.

For help walling special attackers in a rain dance team i've considered lanturn. With its high HP and with 252 EVs and a boosting nature its special defense is reasonable too. The real reason i suggest it though is for that STAB never miss thunder as well as a boosted surf.

Suggested set:
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Calm nature
52 HP/ 204 spA / 252 spD
-Substitute/Rain Dance
-Surf
-Thunder
-Ice Beam

This 101 HP subs and bolt beaming. Ice beam can be changed for Thunder wave or confuse ray but seen as you probably have swift swimmers thunder wave isn't too important. As for how many rain dancers you should have i'd say 2 will be enough if the rain dancers are able to switch in easily.

If only Lanturn had swift swim for his second trait instead of illuminate....

Kingdra is always a good option for Rain Dancing. He has access to toys such as Draco Meteor now, making him a perfect hit and runner. Him with a Choice Scarf in the rain equals scariness.

Omastar and Relicanth are worth considering, they have good offensive stats but low speed.

Manaphy is the best Rain Dancer, hands down, is Ludicolo any good at it anymore?

Omastar's a crappy Pokemon. I wouldn't consider 101 HP Substitute on Lanturn since it's not going to get past Blissey anyway.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kingdra and Ludicolo both make excellent Rain Dancers.

Ludicolo @ Wet Rock
Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
<Rain Dish>
~ Rain Dance
~ Leech Seed
~ Energy Ball
~ Ice Beam

RD teams already have plenty of water attacks, this Ludi can deal with other water types (4x water resist yes). Rain Dish and Leech Seed keep it alive. Ice Beam to take out Dragons. Ludi isn't the special wall it used to be, but aside from the massive threats you wouldn't even use Ludi on anyway (Azelf, Zam, Zapdos), Ludi can beat up on generic special attacker #2567.

Ludicolo with Rain Dish, Leech Seed, and Leftovers is absolutely annoying and only really dies to physial Fly/Psn.

Kingdra, Toxicroak, both good attackers in the rain. Consider looking into Rain Dance Scizor with Somersault as a nice surprise since it halves his only weakness and he's already sturdy.

i prefer my starter ludicolo to be quicker, so i gave it swift swim

ludicolo @wet rock
calm
not sure on EVs yet
rain dance
giga drain
leech seed
surf/hp electric

electivire and gyarados work great together on a rain dance team

gyarados @life orb
adamant or timid
DD
waterfall
earthquake
rain dance/t-wave/stone edge

Electivire @leftovers
lonely
cross chop
ice punch
t-bolt
earthquake

the strategy is to send out gyara and predict the switch to an electric type. when they are about to attack you, you switch to electivire, who absorbs the electric attack and raises his speed. you then sweep with him.

Kingdra @ petaya Berry
Modest Nature
252 sp. atk, 252 HP
Rain Dance
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse (both works)
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam

Great opener. Since it`s only weak to Dragon, it`s unlikely it`ll get OhKOed.

Kabutops @ Leftovers
Adamant nature
252 speed, 252 atk
Stone Edge
Water Fall
Swords Dance
Hydro Pump(?)

The physical sweeper, I`ve tested in the Rain and it`s really powerful.

CB Qwilfish loves his new Explosion/Waterfall.

DD Kingdra, especially with Subflail, can completely rape teams. Choice Specs are also acceptable.

Manaphy and Dry Skin Toxicroak are a must.

Ludicolo with rain is a better subseeder than Sceppy, and can also make a great special attacker.

Swords Dance Subflail Waterfall Kabutops.

Lanturn and Mantine make great special walls. They complement each other too, as Mantine's 4x Tbolt weak is eaten alive by Volt Absorb. You probably don't want to use both of them, though.

Electvire also makes use of random Tbolts. USE ELECTVIRE.

For some reason I can't stand looking at electvires.

Choice specs hydro pump is nice in rain, as it OHKO's almost anything that comes in. A nice choice would be omastar or kingdra.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Relicanth isn't a half bad idea, mostly because Head Smash HURTS. I have to agree with Ludicolo being a perfect fit, although Swift Swim is really underrated and really good for it. The only thing you need to really watch out for is that you don't need Surf on 2/3 of your team. ;[ And Toxicroak (or Poliwrath) I would almost consider a requirement because of the vast type difference and powerful Fighting support.

Gyarados loves his souped-up Waterfalls. Use it too.

I'm more fond of Manaphy for general sturdiness.
Not to mention Hydration.

Manaphy is uuuuuuuber!

As a mention, in swift swim team, you want to sweep before your rain runs out so you might want hydro pump over surf despite its accuracy.

Qwilfish is also a nice Swords Dance, Flail, Substitute, Waterfall user, (like Kabutops) and has a much easier time coming in on grass/fighting/water attacks.

Similar things can be said about Gorbyss compared to Omastar.

(Huntail makes a nice Physical Sweeper as well). Baton Pass may prove useful for Special/Physical Tanks as well. Baton Pass Amnesia/Iron Defense to Ludicolo (from Gorbyss/Huntail) and you got yourself a sure Tank who can sweep under Rain Dance+ Swift Swim.

Since you plan on giving Electivire play in Rain Teams, why not give it Thunder over Thunderbolt? It adds more damage, has additional STAB, wont miss, and has a better chance of paralysis.

Well I already had Kingdra, Ludicolo, Gyrados and Electivre down in my little wordpad document. Kabutops and Lanturn look like fun, they may take the final two slots. It's a wifi team so Manaphy is out of the question unless someone fancies trading me one.

take out Lanturn for Starmie: @ Life Orb Thunder/Grass Rope/Hydro Pump/Recover

This will allow you to hit hard, and heal off damage.

Um... Electric types please! and not Electrivire.. Zapdos/Raikou/Jolteon/Magneton even Luxray with a +SA nature all have SA of 300+ and can utilize that STAB never miss Thunder. Don't forget those non electric or water types try these:

Gengar->> Hypnosis_Thunder_Shadow Ball_Explosion/DB

Blissey (Serence Grace)----> Water Pulse_Thunder_Aromatherapy/Calm Mind/Filler_Softboiled
This is parafusion at its finest

Dragonite----> go Dragon Dancer with D-Claw_EQ_DD_Thunder
or try Subpuncher for special walls

Play around with it... A lot of things can Thunder and Hydro Pump, thats why Rain Dancing is probably best for double battles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)