Rain Offense/Stall/blerrggh

After fiddling around in the teambuilder for a long time, I finally came up with a nice, well balanced team with some nice tactics behind it... It does have its flaws but thats why i'm here, right? It's currently ranked 460 on PO server but is steadily rising... Anyway i'm not one for speeches so here is the line up...

Reached #420
Considering and testing changes:

In testing

In testing

This is my first time posting by the way, i've always just lingered on the side lines and never really posted anything, so the descriptions might be a little small​

Politoed: Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Bold nature
252Hp/252Def/4Spd
-Scald
-Protect
-psychic
-Perish Song

I chose the defensive set for politoed because i want it surviving if i'm up against sand teams, rain on this team unlike most other rain teams is not essential for this team to work but it sure as hell makes it better. Protect is great for scouting which i think is important and ok for stalling out a little extra damage from poison later on in the game when toxic spikes are set up. I chose perish song as a sort of phazer, this team will make the opponent switch a lot of the time and perish song helps, i also love it when i switch into scizor at the right time and pursuit on the way out XD. Psychic is purely for swords dance toxicroak who otherwise rapes me in the arse, kills my dog, and rapes its corpse.

Scizor: Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant nature
252atk/248hp/8spe
-U-turn
-Bullet punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Standard scizor, of course. One of the most used pokes in the metagame and for good reason, when stealth rocks are up, scizor and rotom-w can rack up huge amounts of damage with the fantastic synergy they have, volt switching and u turning to their hearts content, forcing multiple switches without barely getting scathed. I've beaten an enttire team just using these two when stealth rocks were up, (he must of been crap but still! lol). EV's don't need explaining, i did however choose pursuit over bug bite as i didn't find myself using it too much, if i needed to use a bug move i would just go for u-turn and would do enough for me. I chose pursuit instead because It's always fun to play with, and if I can switch to scizor at the right time then i can pusuit pokemon on the way out on the last turn of politoeds perish song. Its also good for countering reuniclus who otherwise gives this team a hard time. It works in rain well because it gives it that little extra resistance to fire making it that little bit harder to kill.

Rotom-W: Choice scarf
Ability: Levitate
Modest nature
90hp/168spe/252spa
-Thunder
-Volt switch
-Hydro pump
-Trick

My other little switcher, i've explained what this guy does offensively, but since the rest of the team is revolved around stalling then this guy has probably the best ability and typing combination in the game; endless resistances and the all important immunity to ground. This thing can also shoot out a very powerful STAB Thunder in the rain where the 30% paralysis chance is always welcome, along with a powered up hydro pump from the rain it can get a couple of surprise kills from the extra power given from rain.

Ferrothorn: Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy nature
252hp/248Spd/8Def (0 Speed Iv's)
-Stealth Rock
-Power Whip
-Gyro ball
-Spikes

It's no wonder Ferrothorn is the most used poke in the metagame at the moment, and with its few weaknesses: fire and fighting, rain reducing this to just x2 instead of x4 its hard to take down. You're probably wondering why rocky helmet when i could heal copious amounts with leech seed leftovers and protect, but i don't have room for a spinner on this team so if i predict a spin this thing can come in and the spinner takes about 1/4 damage... and regrets it. It's the only real place i could fit stealth rocks in, i think its the best counter for dragons in at the moment and rain helps it with Dnite if he decides to fire punch me (only to recieve damage from iron barbs and rocky helmet anyway]. I chose gyro ball over power whip cause it hits dragons like a tank and IMO is underrated, it can seriously do some damage especially with ferrothorns low speed and 0 speed IV's. I was actually wondering how much damage this could do with max attack on ferrothorn lol but haven't bothered trying it XD.
Power whip has been suggested to hit most spinners hard in the metagame, so may replace Gyro ball

Gliscor: Toxic orb
Ability: Poison heal
Impish nature
252hp/184Def/92spe
-Substitute
-Protect
-Toxic
-Earthquake

I've always favoured gliscor, but usually for the swords dance taunt ice fang earthquake version, but this glues into the team perfectly; a defensive stalling behemoth, gliscor is a monster late game. It has saved me the game many times beating the rest of the opposing team 3-1 down on some occasions. poison heal along with protect and substitute make it hard for opponents to make hits, and with toxic it just makes it a waiting game. earthquake for nice STAB and decent coverage. This version is definately underrated, its also helped out by the rain meaning it can take more hits from fire and can switch in on even special fire moves. If i sub up the other guy is in trouble... This thing just doesn't die! Ev's for defensive and healing purposes and extra speed just to pop it over average speed.

Tentacruel: Black sludge
Ability: Rain dish
Bold nature
252hp/208Def/4Spd/44Spe
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid spin
-Scald
-Protect

This thing in rain is quite the defensive beast. with leftovers and rain dish nicely healing it and protect means i'm safely healing myself 1/8 each turn, and 1/4 if i use protect. Scald because nobody likes being burned, rapid spin is important since scizor and rotom will be switching all the time and toxic spikes helps this team a lot for extra residual damage, which is what this team is mostly about: If stealth rocks and toxic spikes are up and scizor and rotom are alive, he's gonne have a hard time beating me. Poisoning the opponent down goes well with this team because other than my choiced pokes every other poke has protect, maximising the damage done to the opponent, scouting which move they will make and therefore minimising damage done to me.

Main threats from experience: Rotom-W, Jellicent, Gastrodon, Thunderus. Thunderus rapes me, my only real chanceis to hit it with thunder from Rotom-W. SD Toxicroak

It's not until you play with this team that you realise how much the tactics and synergy works. However its lowe down the ladder at the moment due to a ridiculous amount of hax (lol) including getting cocked over by a 1 hit KO team -.-

Yeah feel free to put in some suggestions, criticise all the rest of it... and hopefully get a suggestion to take down that fucker thunderus.

CHEERS :}

Most spinners in the OU metagame don't take Ferrothorn's Power Whip well, so use that with Leftovers. Since your hazards are going away anyway, it's better to hit something like Starmie or Excadrill hard than deal a measly 25% to them while possible Seeding them.

Thats true... I hadn't thought of that, although gyro ball is more useful IMO, i'll give it a try though i think

Rotom-W: Choice scarf
Ability: Levitate
Modest nature
196hp/168spe/252spa
-Thunder
-Volt switch
-Hydro pump
-Trick

Yeah I would like a Rotom that can have more than 510 EVs to.

You rely on Scarf Rotom to check alot of threats, maybe too much. Once Thundurus gets +2, you'll be very hard pressed to beat it without losing a Poke since Rotom can't switch in safely, and if you've tricked off your scarf, forget it. Another threat is SD Gliscor, because it can lure Rotom in, do major damage with Facade, and then once it's gone, it has an easy sweep since nowadays, most carry enough speed to outpace Tentacruel. Politoed isn't a reliable check since it'll be switching in so often to change the weather that you won't have enough HP to take a +2 Earthquake.

Quagsire is an excellent fit for this team. Its ability, Unaware, ignores stat boosts, so let Thundurus or Gliscor get to +6; Quag still beats them! It also takes on common sand sweepers like Excadrill and Terrakion, giving you something to fall back on if you lose the weather war. In my opinion, Gliscor can be dropped to make room, since its roles are similar to Quag's, but Scizor isn't doing much either. It's up to you. Anyways the Quag set is

Quagsire @ Leftovers | Careful | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Curse | Recover | Waterfall | Earthquake

Give it a shot. Nice team!

a solid team but haxorus might be a danger to your team if ferro is out of the way and also if you lose the weather war a smack down landorous could give you some problems other than that a nice team

Hey there. Nice team. There a couple of things that you can change to make it even better:

First off, take 80 EVs out of Defense on Gliscor and put them into speed. This will let you outrun various threats such as Magnezone, Specially Defensive Jirachi, and most importantly: defensive Rotom-W. With Sub + Protect you can stall out their Hydro Pumps and make them virtually ineffective against Gliscor.

I also agree about replacing Scizor for a specially defensive Quagsire; Scizor would probably be better seeing as a specially defensive Quagsire can't handle threats such as Life Orb Excadrill well at all (Adamant Life Orb 2HKO's).

On Ferrothorn, definitely run Spikes over Leech Seed. Spikes will greatly help you stall out the opponent, racking up entry hazard damage while you force enormous pressure on walls such as Blissey with Rotom-W's Volt Switch. Also, run Power Whip over Protect. Without Leech Seed (assuming you replace it), Protect is a waste of a moveslot; Power Whip will allow you to destroy pokemon such as Starmie, Gastrodon, and Quagsire which would otherwise wall Ferrothorn to death.

Finally, run Psychic over Toxic on Politoed. This may seem like a weird suggestion, but it serves a very important purpose: Stopping Swords Dance Toxicroak from annihilating your team. Quagsire is 2HKO'd by Cross Chop, so is not a reliable counter; Rotom-W cannot ohko it, and the rest of your team gets decimated by it. Perish Song will only delay the sweep; it won't actually get rid of the problem. Not to mention, Toxicroak's presence gets rid of Toxic Spikes, amking your team much less effective as a whole. Seeing as how you have Toxic on Gliscor and Toxic Spikes, running Psychic over Toxic on Politoed will not cause much harm.

Overall, solid team and good luck!

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey, cool team here. Thundurus and ice punch Toxicroak are pretty large problems though. Toxicroak can set up a swords dance for free on Tentacreul while soaking up your toxic spikes and sweep your team clean. Your only check to Thundurus is scarf Rotom-W which is pretty shaky just on its own. In terms of winning against Toxicroak, a calm mind + wish Jirachi would fit perfectly on this team over Scizor. At the moment, Scizor seems to be the weakest link of this team. Jirachi allows you to win against Toxicroak while still maintaining an excellent defense against Reuniclus and Latios to an extent. Also, it provides your team with wish support which is great for teams such as this. Leftovers, a spread of 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe, bold, and a set of calm mind / wish / thunder / psyshock will really work well on this team.

Thundurus can really still pack a punch against this team. A very simple way of being able to check Thundurus to a good extent without opening up new holes is to run calm Chansey over your Rotom-W. This change will allow you to win against most Thundurus that you come across as well as giving you stealth rock support which is essential on teams such as this. It will also give you a good special sponge in general against threats such as Rotom-W which can actually be really annoying to this team. Calm, eviolite, a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD, and a set of stealth rock / toxic / softboiled / seismic toss will do pretty well on this team. With this change, I'd simply throw spikes on Ferrothorn over stealth rock. Now that Chansey is carrying stealth rock, you can have all three hazards on this team for Jirachi to sweep later in the match. Ice fang over toxic on Gliscor is also another good change for this team as it will give you a good way at winning versus balloon Excadrill. gl.

For Ferrothorn, power whip is beast and he wont stay in long on most dragons anyway due to salamence/hydreigon/dragonite carrying brick break/fireblast/superpower/focusblast more and more commonly to deal with curse or other offensive ferrothorns. Overall good team, I would go with grass to devour any swampert, dd whiscash or ss seismitoads trying to take advantage of your rain with there stab waters.

As I've said before, if the weather gets changed to sun or sand, you have two 4x fire weaknesses. Just something to think about. Other than that it looks good. Might want to consider spikes on Ferrothorn and give something else SR.

You rely on Scarf Rotom to check alot of threats, maybe too much.

Quagsire is an excellent fit for this team. Its ability, Unaware, ignores stat boosts, so let Thundurus or Gliscor get to +6; Quag still beats them! It also takes on common sand sweepers like Excadrill and Terrakion, giving you something to fall back on if you lose the weather war. In my opinion, Gliscor can be dropped to make room, since its roles are similar to Quag's, but Scizor isn't doing much either. It's up to you. Anyways the Quag set is

Quagsire @ Leftovers | Careful | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Curse | Recover | Waterfall | Earthquake

Give it a shot. Nice team!
Thanks, I had actually noticed the team fell apart a little after rotom faints, i love quagsire, so i'm definately giving that a try, thanks for your help!

a solid team but haxorus might be a danger to your team if ferro is out of the way and also if you lose the weather war a smack down landorous could give you some problems other than that a nice team
hmm, never really had problems with haxorus, even if ferrothorn is gone scizor can take a CB boosted outrage from it taking around 60% of its hp, and then dent or 2KO haxorus with bullet punch, if that fails, it will still be dented to be revenged by rotom, Smack down Landorus aren't common ut could pose a threat if toed is dead and if he has sand up

Hey there. Nice team. There a couple of things that you can change to make it even better:

First off, take 80 EVs out of Defense on Gliscor and put them into speed. This will let you outrun various threats such as Magnezone, Specially Defensive Jirachi, and most importantly: defensive Rotom-W. With Sub + Protect you can stall out their Hydro Pumps and make them virtually ineffective against Gliscor.

I also agree about replacing Scizor for a specially defensive Quagsire; Scizor would probably be better seeing as a specially defensive Quagsire can't handle threats such as Life Orb Excadrill well at all (Adamant Life Orb 2HKO's).

On Ferrothorn, definitely run Spikes over Leech Seed. Spikes will greatly help you stall out the opponent, racking up entry hazard damage while you force enormous pressure on walls such as Blissey with Rotom-W's Volt Switch. Also, run Power Whip over Protect. Without Leech Seed (assuming you replace it), Protect is a waste of a moveslot; Power Whip will allow you to destroy pokemon such as Starmie, Gastrodon, and Quagsire which would otherwise wall Ferrothorn to death.

Finally, run Psychic over Toxic on Politoed. This may seem like a weird suggestion, but it serves a very important purpose: Stopping Swords Dance Toxicroak from annihilating your team. Quagsire is 2HKO'd by Cross Chop, so is not a reliable counter; Rotom-W cannot ohko it, and the rest of your team gets decimated by it. Perish Song will only delay the sweep; it won't actually get rid of the problem. Not to mention, Toxicroak's presence gets rid of Toxic Spikes, amking your team much less effective as a whole. Seeing as how you have Toxic on Gliscor and Toxic Spikes, running Psychic over Toxic on Politoed will not cause much harm.

Overall, solid team and good luck!
That was useful, thanks. I'm totally considering quagsire right now but considering using it over gliscor, instead of scizor as suggested earlier, i'll try it both ways see which works out the best, i like your point on toxicroak with psychic on politoed, usually if i see toxicroak i expect the bulk up version, switch to gliscor, they SD up and i think oh shit, game over lol. I'll also test out the different set on ferrothorn, it will break my heart though i love leech seed </3 EDIT: ignore the bit in italics, replacing scizor is a better option

Hey, cool team here. Thundurus and ice punch Toxicroak are pretty large problems though. Toxicroak can set up a swords dance for free on Tentacreul while soaking up your toxic spikes and sweep your team clean. Your only check to Thundurus is scarf Rotom-W which is pretty shaky just on its own. In terms of winning against Toxicroak, a calm mind + wish Jirachi would fit perfectly on this team over Scizor. At the moment, Scizor seems to be the weakest link of this team. Jirachi allows you to win against Toxicroak while still maintaining an excellent defense against Reuniclus and Latios to an extent. Also, it provides your team with wish support which is great for teams such as this. Leftovers, a spread of 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe, bold, and a set of calm mind / wish / thunder / psyshock will really work well on this team.

Thundurus can really still pack a punch against this team. A very simple way of being able to check Thundurus to a good extent without opening up new holes is to run calm Chansey over your Rotom-W. This change will allow you to win against most Thundurus that you come across as well as giving you stealth rock support which is essential on teams such as this. It will also give you a good special sponge in general against threats such as Rotom-W which can actually be really annoying to this team. Calm, eviolite, a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD, and a set of stealth rock / toxic / softboiled / seismic toss will do pretty well on this team. With this change, I'd simply throw spikes on Ferrothorn over stealth rock. Now that Chansey is carrying stealth rock, you can have all three hazards on this team for Jirachi to sweep later in the match. Ice fang over toxic on Gliscor is also another good change for this team as it will give you a good way at winning versus balloon Excadrill. gl.
Thanks for the advice, if i did implement the changes suggested though it would start to look like the team whats his face made; the most 'liked' team on smogon at the moment, everybody knows it so i'd want a bit of originality to it and wouldn't really want to copy him, I like the jirachi idea though, a lot of people are saying scizor is the weak link on this team so i may change it, many thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)