RainRoom Team

I hate rain teams. So when I was building my team for VGC 2012, I instantly ruled them out. However, after more and more practice on PO, I realized that rain boosted water attacks were a force to be reckoned with. Still, I didn't want to build a standard rain team. My problem with rain teams was that they were susceptible to sandstorm teams, and anything else that could get weather up over the rain. So I thought about this, and realized that the main problem with rain teams, is that they relied on rain to not only make moves powerful, but also to go first, and add survivability. Well, I knew of an alternate way to go first, Trick Room!

This team is based around beating out the opponent's weather, and then setting up Trick Room to blast off rain boosted Water Spouts, Surfs, and Hurricanes. It partly relies on the opponent not being prepared to counter both rain and Trick Room and the same time. Also, it does a good job of beating both Rain and Trick Room teams. I set up one of the assets while the opponent sets up the other one for me!

Politoed @ Iron Ball
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Rain Dance
- Protect

Every rain team has Politoad. Iron Ball is what makes this set hilarious. Opponents sit there confused and helpless as I set up rain in their Tyranitar's face. Surf can heal Jellicent and deal impressive damage in the rain. Ice beam hits grasses that resist water. Psychic is for Conkeldurr and friends. I am considering Rain Dance to stop the opponents who get weather up later.

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Bronzong is my TR setter upper. Under rain, he essentially has no weaknesses, and with 67/116/116 base defenses, that means he isn't dying any time soon. Mental Herb, along with Bronzong's defenses almost ensures that I get up TR. Gyro Ball helps finish off weakened pokes while Bronzing's teammate protects. Zen Headbutt adds coverage and lets Bronzong take out fighters and Amoongusses. EVs let me wall Chandelure and friends under rain, ensuring I get up TR.

Jellicent (M) @ Water Gem
Ability: Water Absorb
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Surf
- Protect

150 BP STAB rain boosted water gem boosted Water Spout is scary, even from 150 special attack. If I can pull off a Water Spout at full health, it is usually over for the opponent. Shadow Ball is extra STAB, and Surf is for when Jellicent gets hit by a Thunderbolt. Originally Jellicent set up Trick Room, but it just didn't have the survivability to use TR and then shoot off Water Spouts.

Dragonite @ Dragon Gem
Ability: Multiscale
- Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Protect

Dragonite is one of my favorite Pokemon. It can tank more or less anything, thanks to Multiscale, making it the obvious switch in for if Politoad is threatened or the weather changes. Dragon Pulse with a Dragon Gem is my go to move if I need something dead, fast. Hurricane gets 100% accuracy in Rain, and excels at taking out those pesky Ludicolos and other bulky grasses. Thunder helps in taking out bulky waters, who wall Jellicent and Politoad. Dragonite may not be the slowest Pokemon around, but it outspeeds anything that puts EVs in speed. And most of Dragonite's checks do.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

I replaced Porygon2 because I wasn't using it enough. Ferrothorn provides me with a check to Thunderbolts. Rain helps lessen Ferrothorn's fire weakness, though it is still a problem. If my opponent tries to stall out TR, Ferrothorn gets to sap health with Leech Seed. The next two moves are powerful STAB.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Hariyama is my emergency go to for Brelooms, Amoongusses, or anything that I think has a way for stopping Trick Room. Close Combat does steady damage, after Guts. Rock Slide helps hurt flyers and hitting both opponents is just generally nice. I tried using a Hitmontop, but it just felt useless after getting the Fake Out and Intimidate off.

As far as threats go, my team has almost every threat in the metagame covered, but relies heavily on me predicting the opponent's leads, and setting up efficiently. There is, however, a gaping hole. Zapdos destroyed my team. I am not completely sure how to deal with Zapdos. I've tried Gastrodon, but while Gastrodon can wall Zapdos, it can't do much to fight back. Suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not very experienced with rain, so I can't say too much about the team in general, but two comments:

It seems like opposing Jellicent would give you a lot of trouble. It underspeeds Dragonite and can do massive damage with Ice Beam (if Multiscale is broken, it'll usually be a OHKO), and your only other mon that can hurt it is your own Jellicent.

On Hariyama, Fighting/Ground gives redundant coverage unless you're really worried about Toxicroak. I'd suggest switching Earthquake for Rock Slide or another coverage move.

The ultimae decision is up to you, but I would recomend making Jellicent another TR user. Maybe hold a Wacan berry so you can survive the Electric type attacks that are aimed at it. In which case Water Spout would be switched for TR. Bronzong's Light Screen is a little bit gimmicky, my experience with that and Reflact had shown that opportunities to use it won't be all that common. And if your opponent is stalling out TR, they will also be stalling out Light Screen. Porygon2 could be Quiet instead, and have 252 HP, 6 Def, 252 Sp Atk. Regardless, Tri Attack should be switched for Ice Beam or Thunder. Probably Thunder, but if you wanted Ice Beam enough, you could switch Recover for it

Its possible something could replaced with gastrodon maybe? You don't have anything that really shrugs off electric type attacks, much less thunder, and gastrodon takes those, can earth power the opponent, and also agives you another pokemon that can a boost out of surf instead of being hurt by it. also right now jellicent the only thing on your team that does that, while a lot of you're other pokemon like hariyama, bronzong and porygon-2 get hurt quite a bit by surf, which can sometmes limit what you can at risk of hurting your own team (switching in I'm guessing?) Also gastrodon's grass weakness is covered by dragonite's hurricane.

The ultimae decision is up to you, but I would recomend making Jellicent another TR user. Maybe hold a Wacan berry so you can survive the Electric type attacks that are aimed at it. In which case Water Spout would be switched for TR. Bronzong's Light Screen is a little bit gimmicky, my experience with that and Reflact had shown that opportunities to use it won't be all that common. And if your opponent is stalling out TR, they will also be stalling out Light Screen. Porygon2 could be Quiet instead, and have 252 HP, 6 Def, 252 Sp Atk. Regardless, Tri Attack should be switched for Ice Beam or Thunder. Probably Thunder, but if you wanted Ice Beam enough, you could switch Recover for it
Light Screen works well on Bronzong, because under Trick Room, Bronzong goes first, and can anticipate incoming special attacks and use Light Screen to help protect himself and his teammate from them. Jellicent simply doesn't have the bulk to set up TR. It gets destroyed by Zapdos, Thundurus etc.

I actually like the idea of using Gastrodon over Jellicent quite a bit- thanks to Storm Drain, it prevents your opponent from taking advantage of the boost to water attacks; it absorbs electric moves, unlike most members of this team; and it's really slow which is always a plus :D

I'd also consider throwing some more EVs into attack and running Zen Headbutt over Light Screen. Bronzong is very good at setting up trick room, but if you can't do any damage once it's set up, then you have a dead weight, resulting in you doing only half the damage during your precious 5 turn window. As such, it would be in your best interest to make Gyro Ball hit as hard as possible. Zen Headbutt gives you additional coverage on the numerous threats that resist Gyro Ball, while also allowing you to dent enemies of trick room like Amoonguss, Breloom, etc. I'm sure Light Screen comes in handy, but Bronzong needs more offense, not more defense.

Light Screen works well on Bronzong, because under Trick Room, Bronzong goes first, and can anticipate incoming special attacks and use Light Screen to help protect himself and his teammate from them. Jellicent simply doesn't have the bulk to set up TR. It gets destroyed by Zapdos, Thundurus etc.
Did you read what I said about the WACAN BERRY ON JELLICENT?

Wacan berry halves the damage of the first electric type attack that hits you super effectively.

Zapdos and Thundurus are both very unlikely to prevent you from setting up TR. Those seem to be the 2 you are most worried about, so try the Wacan. It is also not the most common strategy out there, and may catch people off guard.

Did you read what I said about the WACAN BERRY ON JELLICENT?

Wacan berry halves the damage of the first electric type attack that hits you super effectively.

Zapdos and Thundurus are both very unlikely to prevent you from setting up TR. Those seem to be the 2 you are most worried about, so try the Wacan. It is also not the most common strategy out there, and may catch people off guard.
Right, but Jellicent will be severely crippled and not be able to abuse Water Spout anymore. Also, why try to force Jellicent to use TR when Bronzong can do better in every situation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)