Rate (and help) my team!

Hello! This is my first topic on Smogon and I think my second post. I am making a team for the VGC coming on April, and I am kind of stuck. I always have trouble with items and I also want some feedback on my move set. Anyways, now on to the team!
I chose a Gravity team after seeing the latest Smog (Smog #19 I think) and I am intrigued by it's great perks.
If you don't know what Gravity does, here's a quick summary.
- Lowers evasion by 3/5
This is really good, as moves with 60 or more accuracy will bump up to 100 accuracy. Moves like Thunder, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump really shine.
- Allows all moves to be hit by Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Ground type moves.
This shattters Pokemon like Zapdos and Thundurus, who have that immunity to ground. This also separates Gravity teams into two categories: A: A defensive type where you lay Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and rapidly use Toxic, Roar, Dragon Tail, etc. to force the opponent to switch out, or B: an offensive type where you use strong hitting moves w/low accuracy and Earthquake to dominate the playing field.
And that's about it. If you want to see more, check out the Smog!
Okay, so I picked the offensive type. Here is my team.
Also, I would like to thank TheMantyke for his Pokemon, which is the Ninetales, Hitmontop, and Swinub. His Thread is linked here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3462090

1. Clefable
I chose Clefable because while Chansey is better as a support, Clefable has a decent special attack, and let's face it. Do you ever see a Chansey with something other than Seismic Toss as it's main attack?

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs:252 HP 252 SpAtk, 4 Spe
Nature: Rash
- Gravity
- Sing
- Blizzard
- Fire Blast

I chose these moves as I needed nice coverage. Sing with 55 accuracy is now at 92 accuracy w/Gravity. As I did not have a Blizzard user, I decided that was a good choice. Fire Blast seems good as I wanted some early damage. Gravity is... Gravity. I cannot use Follow Me as I have already evolved Clefable and I don't want to waste time.

2. Starmie

I chose Starmie for a backup Gravity user with a purpose in a Gravity Team.

Starmie @ Sitrus Berry
Ability:Natural Cure
EVs:252 SpAtk, 124 Def, 124 SDef, 8 Spe
Nature:Timid
- Hydro Pump
- Gravity
- Blizzard
- Psychic

I took Hydro Pump because it's, well, Hydro Pump. It helps get rid of Ground and Rock types, and also, it has 100 accuracy in Gravity. Gravity is a great move to have, and Thunder is also a great move overall, and it also hits those pesky flying types which are in almost every team. Psychic also helps with the Fighting types that check Starmie, plus Starmie gets the STAB.

3. Hitmontop

I chose Hitmontop for a good support with Quick Guard and Fake Out.

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs:252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard
- Sucker Punch

Notes:
Mach Punch:Great Priority, ok damage
Fake Out: Simple meta, good Priority.
Quick Guard. Helps W/Fake Out, making Hitmontop a great Support.
Sucker Punch:Good move, good priority.

4.Heracross

I picked Heracross for the awesome Stone Edge and Megahorn power. Also, with Gravity, those moves become 100 accuracy. I think Heracross really shines in Gravity Teams.

Pokemon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs:252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Stone Edge

I picked Megahorn and Stone Edge for the reasons above. Close Combat is a great STAB move, and is just pure awesome. Protect is just common meta..

5.Ninetales

I chose Ninetales for a great Fire Blast user, with a great Heat Wave and a good ability when it comes out. Ninetales helps widen my type coverage even more, helping me a lot.

Ninetales @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs:252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Nature:Timid
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

I chose Protect for the Protect Stall and the awesome immunity from most attacks for the rest of the turn. Heat Wave is a great move, and allows you to hit everyone on the other team. Originally I was going for Hidden Power Ice, but then I thought that Energy Ball can hit Water Types better, and because HP Ice gets rid of Grass Types, and Heat Wave already does that.. Drought also boosts Ninetales' Fire moves, helping me out in every way possible (not really :) )

6. Mamoswine

Now for the Core of my Offensive Gravity team, Mamoswine. Gawd, Mamoswine helps out in so many ways it's not even funny. With Ice Shard and Earthquake, this an unstoppable force to be reckoned with. And with Gravity allowing every Pokemon to be hit by Ground types, who wouldn't want Mamoswine?

Mamoswine @ Ice Gem
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs:252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Protect
Earthquake and Ice Shard help me for the reasons mentioned above, and Icicle Crash has 100 accuracy in Gravity. I don't even need to explain Protect.

Well, that's my team. Please leave feedback and try to help out my team.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You need to post your complete team at once, as it's almost impossible to rate it as is. One suggestion, though: don't use Meteor Mash on Clefable. Steel is an awful offensive type, and you don't have any Attack investment.

You need to post your complete team at once, as it's almost impossible to rate it as is. One suggestion, though: don't use Meteor Mash on Clefable. Steel is an awful offensive type, and you don't have any Attack investment.
Sorry. I started this on my tablet, and switched to my computer as soon as possible.

*changed Meteor Mash to Fire Blast*

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
All right, a few more suggestions then. Team seems pretty solid at a glance, no major defensive weaknesses or coverage issues.

Reuniclus should not be running both Psychic and Psyshock. Blissey is almost nonexistent in doubles outside of Minimize shenanigans, and the power difference is negligible on everything else I can think of except Snorlax, which easily falls to Heracross anyway. Give it Shadow Ball for better coverage, or Protect because Protect is always good.

Heracross: Close Combat >>>>>> Brick Break. And with as many weaknesses as it has, along with the Focus Sash being priority bait, Protect will probably be better than Night Slash. I'd also suggest Swarm over Guts, since you aren't actively using it and most people won't risk trying to status it.

Ninetales shouldn't be running two Fire moves. Like Reuniclus, the loss of coverage or support moves isn't worth the minor gain in utility. For instance, you could use Energy Ball for those pesky bulky waters, Disable or Will-O-Wisp to shut down opponent's attackers, or Safeguard for team support.

As for Mamoswine...that just screams gimmick. 70 base Special Attack with almost no EVs isn't going to hurt anything that isn't 4x weak (and if your opponent leaves in two Ice-weak Pokémon against Mamoswine they deserve to lose), and not using an Attack-boosting nature takes away power from the moves that are actually useful.

All right, a few more suggestions then. Team seems pretty solid at a glance, no major defensive weaknesses or coverage issues.

Reuniclus should not be running both Psychic and Psyshock. Blissey is almost nonexistent in doubles outside of Minimize shenanigans, and the power difference is negligible on everything else I can think of except Snorlax, which easily falls to Heracross anyway. Give it Shadow Ball for better coverage, or Protect because Protect is always good.

Heracross: Close Combat >>>>>> Brick Break. And with as many weaknesses as it has, along with the Focus Sash being priority bait, Protect will probably be better than Night Slash. I'd also suggest Swarm over Guts, since you aren't actively using it and most people won't risk trying to status it.

Ninetales shouldn't be running two Fire moves. Like Reuniclus, the loss of coverage or support moves isn't worth the minor gain in utility. For instance, you could use Energy Ball for those pesky bulky waters, Disable or Will-O-Wisp to shut down opponent's attackers, or Safeguard for team support.

As for Mamoswine...that just screams gimmick. 70 base Special Attack with almost no EVs isn't going to hurt anything that isn't 4x weak (and if your opponent leaves in two Ice-weak Pokémon against Mamoswine they deserve to lose), and not using an Attack-boosting nature takes away power from the moves that are actually useful.
Again, thanks.

*changed Fire Blast on Ninetales to Will-O-Wisp*
*changed Mamoswine's Nature to Adamant*
*changed Mamoswine's Blizzard to *placeholder**
*change Reuniclus' Psychic to Protect*
*changed Heracross' Brick Break to Close Combat and Night Slash to Protect*
*changed Heracross' ability to Swarm*

I like the team. It's different and utilized gravity very well. But just one thing. Under gravity, Rotom-W will fall down to the ground and making levitate useless. If you were to only have Rotom-W and Mamoswine left, you don't have protect on Rotom-W to protect against the Mamoswine earthquake. Which will do a lot to Rotom-W. so I suggest that you add protect

I like the team. It's different and utilized gravity very well. But just one thing. Under gravity, Rotom-W will fall down to the ground and making levitate useless. If you were to only have Rotom-W and Mamoswine left, you don't have protect on Rotom-W to protect against the Mamoswine earthquake. Which will do a lot to Rotom-W. so I suggest that you add protect
Thanks! I will add that in soon.

Thanks! I will add that in soon.
While Protect is a good move on Rotom-W, I feel it should be noted that it can evade Earthquake with its ability Levitate.

EDITSorry, forgot about Gravity there. Protect over Shadow Ball, Shadow Ball only help against Latios.

Reuniclus shouldn't have Timid, he is an incredibly slow Poke that will barely benefit from the speed boost. HP Ev's would likely work better then the Def ones for more general bulk

Hey bro! (Yes, he is my brother) I see that you are putting in your team here. I remember how your team evolved into a simple sun team into one of the most overlooked strategies in the entire metagame. I'm not going to say anything on the rate, mainly because the rate would be biased into me saying it's terrible, just rate his team so that it can be ALMOST as good as mine! *trollface.jpg*

I was JUST about to say that it was a Gravity team Drifblim...

Just something I noticed while looking over your team. The way it stands now, the only poke you have with Gravity is Clefable. If you are sticking to your Gravity team, you might want to address this. Sorry I couldn't be much more help, but this seemed like a deal breaker for your strategy.

Thanks everyone!
I changed enough things to not put in as a changelog type thing
ConverseBob, I will change the pokemon around soon™.

Okay, nice, gimmicky team... Let's see what I can do...
(I played against a gravity team during Spring Internationals! Just sayin')

Okay, well, I can only really come up with two suggestions, but they may help.
Suggestion 1: Follow Me on Clefable. You never know when you may need it, especially against that Breloom who outspeeds plenty of your team. One possible replacement is Fire Blast, though it's really up to you.

Suggestion 2: Starmie over Rotom-W. I noticed that your team's overall speed is a bit lackluster, and that you had limited users of Gravity. Starmie remedies both problems. It's movepool is massive, with all sorts of Gravity abuse moves such as Blizzard, Thunder and Hydro Pump.

Suggestion 1: Follow Me on Clefable. You never know when you may need it, especially against that Breloom who outspeeds plenty of your team. One possible replacement is Fire Blast, though it's really up to you.

Suggestion 2: Starmie over Rotom-W. I noticed that your team's overall speed is a bit lackluster, and that you had limited users of Gravity. Starmie remedies both problems. It's movepool is massive, with all sorts of Gravity abuse moves such as Blizzard, Thunder and Hydro Pump.
Thanks!
I'm thinking of changing Blizzard to Follow Me (read the next one)
I'm also thinking of changing Ninetales completely. I might not get it in time, so I'm thinking of something else.

I didn't think Starmie could learn Fire Blast, somehow :p
You should change it for Blizzard because of the great coverage it gets with Thunder.

I harmonise with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be enough, for the exceptional clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business endeavors!
onlinesbp
sbponline
sbp online banking

Also, just noticed Mienshao.
If it's a supporting Fake Out 'mon you're looking for, Hitmontop is probably a better choice. It has far better bulk than Mienshao and stong priority in Sucker Punch, and it has Intimidate. The only reason you'd use Mienshao over Hitmontop is because it's faster than a lot of current threats and has a very deadly Hi Jump Kick, and you're not using either.

Also, just noticed Mienshao.
If it's a supporting Fake Out 'mon you're looking for, Hitmontop is probably a better choice. It has far better bulk than Mienshao and stong priority in Sucker Punch, and it has Intimidate. The only reason you'd use Mienshao over Hitmontop is because it's faster than a lot of current threats and has a very deadly Hi Jump Kick, and you're not using either.
Thank you for pointing that out! Also, Hitmontop also has Quick Guard, which is mainly what I am looking for!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
There's a bit of a clash between Starmie and Ninetales - I assume you just never use both of them together, but that does limit your options somewhat.

There's a bit of a clash between Starmie and Ninetales - I assume you just never use both of them together, but that does limit your options somewhat.
Naw, that will just only hinder the Hydro Pump. I can just work around it, plus I can just use a Thunder or something to get rid of them.

Changed some stuff! I felt like I needed some fighting checks, so I got rid of Blizzard on Starmie for Psychic.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Keep in mind that sun also reduces Thunder's accuracy, bringing it down to 83% in Gravity.

Also, since you now have both Psychic and Will-O-Wisp, Hitmontop's Intimidate is a lot less important, so you might want to switch it for Technician to boost Mach Punch's power. Otherwise, maybe consider Close Combat instead, to make better use of that Fighting Gem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)