Rate my first "competitive" team... ever

Okay, I'm going to be really honest... I really don't have any idea what I'm doing.

As a bit of background information, I'm not a complete competitive pokemon ignoramus, but I never actually bothered to make a competitive team. As such, my "knowledge" level is... Ok-ish, but my "experience" level is basically zero. I pretty much threw together this team just to see how it did and go from there, but the opinions of more experienced players would be greatly appreciated. :)

That being said, here's the team itself:

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Hi Jump Kick
- Fake Out

Ok, this is my "lead" pokemon, but I've been hearing stuff about leads becoming somewhat inferior this gen due to team preview. However, as team members go, I have found Mienshao to be surprisingly powerful. I find it taking out more pokemon than I expected at first, and U-turn really is fantastic on it.

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

I haven't been using Starmie for too long, because before I used Donphan for Rapid Spinning (which didn't work out very well). However, I feel like I haven't been having THAT much more success with Starmie... I really have no idea what to look for in a Rapid Spinner, but as long as I'm using Volcarona, I need one. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

I've been using Skarmory for SR and Spikes, obviously. It's pretty efficient actually, but I don't know if it's necessarily the best choice. I feel like Skarmory is pretty effective at what it's doing, but not very threatening to much. I don't know if this is acceptable as long as the other team members make up for it, or if this kind of needs an overhaul.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

My revenge killer, and it does a pretty good job too. I don't see anything wrong with it, but it can probably be improved somehow, so please tell me if you do.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Toxic

This is one pokemon that I'm highly considering changing... it fills the role of just a generic "wall" pokemon, but other than taking hits and Toxic-ing stuff, it doesn't do very much. It also seems to be really predictable, I have had steel types switched in on my Toxic many times, but maybe that's just a problem with my playing :P

Volcarona (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This is my powerhouse, but... I think that unless I can construct a team that more effectively supports it, it should be changed. When it successfully sets up without getting seriously hurt, it is very effective (I actually 6-0'd someone with it once o_o but I don't think they were that good), but it's really hard to do that. I really like it and would like to keep it, but it's not my highest priority.

A few final things, one, I would prefer to stay away from "cookie-cutter" as much as possible, but I would much rather have an effective team that I can actually get better with. If that means using what the majority of others are, then I am okay with it. Finally, I would like to keep as much of my team intact as possible, but, again, learning what actually works and what doesn't is a priority to me. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this :P

Also, I'll get pics as soon as possible. If you read this before then, deal with it please.

With Volcanrona and Cressy on this team, I'd suggest going Sun with Ninetails. Obviously that compromises Skarmory, but that can be fixed. Hitmontop is also a solid Rapid Spinner this generation. Replacing Mienshao with Ninetails and Starmie with Top would be the start. Then I guess you could replace Skarmory with Heatran. I'm not that good at playing with Sun, so I'll leave it at a really basic rate at first and let someone else do most of the work haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)