Rate My Mono-Rock Sand Team

Hello all! This is my first RMT, so give me honest feedback! This team has served me quite well in OU, and is one of my favorite teams to use.
(P.S. Each Pokemon is named after a song.)

MonoRock Style (Tyranitar) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar starts the battle with a bang, setting up infinite sandstorm immediately. It also has excellent coverage to destroy popular leads like Gliscor, Ninetales, Ferrothorn, and Forretress. It relies on brute force, and with its good defenses, it can survive a 2x effective hit. Only Fighting OHKO's it.

Titanium (Aggron) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Blizzard

My Dragon counter, as they are all too common in OU! It resists Dragon moves, and can OHKO Garchomp and Haxorus with Blizzard and Salamence and Dragonite with Stone Edge. Its Air Balloon prevents it from being OHKO'd itself by Ground-type moves from Garchomp and Flygon.

YOU Cry (Archeops) (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Defeatist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Pluck

Fighting counter, anyone? STAB Pluck plus the Flying Gem brings swift doom to any Conkeldurr who thought he'd just waltz in and demolish my entire team! Ha! After the Gem is used up, Acrobatics compensates. Head Smash is for any Ice-type trying to spoil the fun. Defeatist doesn't really get in the way much.

I Will Wait (Cradily) (M) @ Big Root
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Gentle Nature
- Giga Drain
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Earthquake

This Pokemon has murdered countless Rain teams. Not only does it absorb Water attacks on switch-in with Storm Drain, but it also acts as a great staller with its great defenses and healing move. Once that annoying Politoed is out of the way, and once Sandstorm is restored by Tyranitar, the rest is toooo easy.

BackTogether?NEVER (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

The Glass Cannon of the team. It hits a wide array of opponents fast and hard, although it's often OHKO'd by Earthquake afterwards. As long as it's faster than its opponent, it kills.

SumbodyIUsedtoKnow (Regirock) @ Wide Lens
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

And finally, the rock wall. Its titanic defenses (boosted by sandstorm!) prevent it from being OHKO'd by anything that's not 4x effective and boosted, so it has a nearly guaranteed chance to set up Stealth Rock, paralyze the opposing "sweeper," or badly poison the opposing "wall." Hehe.

So, what do you think? Be honest!

Sorry for the short rate, but to be honest, I feel that you're using several Pokemon that frankly, aren't viable in OU. For example, Aggron, although it has a decent physical defense, is easily taken down by any special move. And I haven't seen a Regirock in OU in a long long long time. Still if this team has served you well, I'm sure you could build off this base. Regarding Archeops, since it does have Defeatist, would Stone Edge or Rock Slide be preferred over Head Smash? And for Terrakion, you'd be better off trying something like this.

BackTogether?NEVER (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Close Combat>Sacred Sword
X-Scissor>Iron Head

I think the main problem is that you've limited yourself to mono-rock which isn't the best of types to begin with, having only two official OU Pokemon: Tyranitar and Terrakion. Either way, good luck with your team!

Hey Steam Punk, glad to see someone using Monotype in OU. It's really fun. On to the rate.

The biggest problem I see with the team is Scizor completely destroys you and your own reliable come back is to paralyze him with Regirock. Even then Bullet Punch still lets him go first, so you can only hope he can't move, and the only thing that can decently do a chunk of damage is a Fire Blast from Tyranitar. Once he's gone, you're most likely out of it. For this reason I'd suggest a Omastar over Archeops. Archeops is too frail too reliably kill Conkeldurr, so you're wasting a spot on your team anyways for a much better check to Scizor, who is a much more potent threat. Set below:
Omastar @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire

The health EVs cause an Adamant Choice Band Technician BP from Scizor to do 19.54% to 23.45% damage, which is only enough to 3HKO after Life Orb damage. You can set up with Shell Smash one turn, then hit back with HP Fire to OHKO. Swift Swim is used in case of Politoed outlasting your Tyranitar, giving Omastar much more speed to sweep. White Herb is essential to the set as you remove the Def and SpD drops that would cripple Omastar against priority, essentially rendering the set useless. A great mid to late-game sweeper, Omastar can help end those close games when played right.

Some other small changes I see are Regirock's item, Terrakion's moves, and Aggron's moves. Regirock should be using Leftovers, no exceptions. He needs the recovery. If accuracy is a problem, switch Rock Slide to Earthquake. He's a wall, not a Sweeper, you don't need the STAB bonus. Next, Terrakion. Iron Head is a horrible choice, Steel isn't a good attacking type, even with Choice band. Switch it to Close Combat should you need to hit a Pokemon for their Defense, not their Special Defense, with a STAB Fight move. Lastly, Aggron. Blizzard is a terrible idea. You don't need an ice move, STAB Head Smash will do just fine. You could change it to Autotomize, which allows for some more speed and let's you outspeed much more, specifically walls. If you don't care for the extra speed, simply throw on Aqua Tail or Fire Punch for larger coverage. Once you drop Blizzard, change his nature to Adamant, and put the 4 extra EVs into Spe for Autotomize or into SpD if not.

Although Scarf Terrakion is certainly viable (and your team does lack speed), CB Terrakion does hit like a truck so is still worthwhile. Either way Iron Head should go, as it doesn't hit anything better than Fighting does. X-scissor is an option here, and so is Quick Attack, which due to the CB has a pretty wide KO range to finish off a battered team.
Also always keep in mind the dangers of being choice-locked into Earthquake!

As for the others:
Special attacking Aggron just doesn't seem viable. According to my calcs it does not OHKO Garchomp or Haxorus with uninvested Blizzard. Haxorus can switch in and outspeed and KO with Superpower, and Garchomp can break the balloon first turn and finish with EQ.
If you want to use Aggron, your best bet seems to me to be an Autotomize set which takes advantage of that monstrous Head Smash to dent everything on the opponents team and clear the way for everything else.

Assorted Quick Hits:
- Wide Lens? This has really no competitive use, as the 10% boost simply isn't enough to be worth it. Leftovers is far superior on a defensive pokemon.
-Cradily seems like an interesting counter to Rain, but Giga Drain and Seed Bomb seems extremely redundant. Swords Dance instead of Giga Drain allows you to focus on boosting one attacking stat to pretty high levels, and Recover+Leftovers should keep you alive long enough to abuse it without missing Giga Drain.
-I'm not sure what Pluck is doing for Archeops. Acrobatics is still doubled on the first turn that Flying Gem is used, so you don't need another Flying attack to activate it (plus their BP is only 5 off anyways). Instead I'd recommend Stone Edge, to give you Rock STAB that won't render you completely useless afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)