SS Doubles OU Rate my SS Doubles OU Team

My my has it been a while since I've been on this site, and if you remember me you probably know why :bloblul:. I'll fully admit to my mistakes back then. I was still rather new to comp pokemon back then and didn't have much of a strong grip on the meta. However, new meta new me. After following a decent amount of vgc twitch streamers and seeing several popular teams, I think I have at least a decent grip on Sword/Shield's meta. I'm gonna start my clean slate by posting two doubles teams, one that I'm currently climbing with on the doubles OU ladder, and another that I successfully reached masterball rank with this month. The team below is the former (I should note that due to forum rules the masterball rank one won't be posted until 2 weeks after this one).

Team building

I started with this duo right here. I wanted to make use of some of the returning pokemon from the isle of armor, and these two felt like a decent place to start with.

I then went with some pokemon that would do well in the rain along with add support to Politoed and Kingdra. Both Amoonguss and Scizor fit that bill rather well, and I'll talk about as to why later.

I finally went with some offensive threats that could help pull the team's weight when Kingdra couldn't. Based on what was lacking in the previous four members, Togekiss and Volcarona seemed like the best options to me at least. With that being said, let's get to the team.

Palpitoed GIF - Politoed Pokemon Clapping - Discover & Share GIFs

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Protect​

The first member on the team is the cute little froggy boi Politoed. Obviously his role on the team is much more of a support one than an offense one. Icy wind slows down pokemon that can possibly threaten your teammates, mainly opposing sweepers that can get OHKO'd by said teammate the next turn once their speed's been lowered. Scald is simply for chip damage and possible burn chance against physical attackers, but most of the time it's for chip damage. Protect because... duh, and Helping Hand is to support your offensive teammates, mainly Kingdra and Togekiss (You're almost never gonna have this and Volc out at the same time cuz of the rain). All in all he does well at his job and helps make my teammates just all the more difficult to handle.

Kingdra GIF | Gfycat

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump​

Next up is Politoed's partner in crime, Kingdra. While his moveset is mainly directed towards VGC (cuz dynamax), it still works very well here. Hurricane allows you to deal with most grass types with relative ease, with the only exceptions being Ferrothorn and Assault Vest Rillaboom. Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump can both be boiled down to "Haha big power STAB go brrr". They're both super powerful and when helping hand boosted, can OHKO many things that it can hit neutral, especially with Life Orb. The only real threats to Kingdra are special defense walls and Tailwind Whimsicott, but thankfully, those aren't too much of an issue thanks to some other members of the team.

Amoonguss | Smogon Forums

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Calm Nature
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb​

One of those members is our little fungus friend, Amoonguss, who has already done wonders for the team as it currently stands. Because Amoonguss is the only (viable) pokemon with access to Spore, it has a complete monopoly on the sleeping market, allowing you to shut down one if not multiple pokemon. Once they're asleep, you use your teammate plus sludge bomb to chip away at their health and slowly regain yours thanks to Black Sludge. Rage Powder to redirect moves that would threaten your teammates such as Fisheous Rend, Moonblast, Thunder/Thunderbolt, Drain Punch along with other moves. And finally, thanks to Amoonguss's slow speed, it can help you out tremendously against trick room, something that the team otherwise somewhat struggles against. They're quite an asset to the team overall and has already been worth their weight in gold.

Scizor | Pokémon Amino

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Dual Wingbeat
- Brick Break
- X-Scissor​

Scizor is another member who has proven themselves to be an exceptional member on the team. Thanks to its offensive capabilities and overall bulk, Scizor can make for a good Kingdra partner by Bullet punching any would be Sash-mon, but even with any other member, it can do some damage. Technician boosted Dual Wingbeat is essentially Brave Bird without recoil, X-Scissor can do some D A M A G E to pokemon unprepared to take it, Brick Break to deal with any pesky screens, and finally bullet punch to either finish off a mon, break sash, or just for some chip damage before Scizor faints. It all depends on the situation at hand.

Aura Sphere GIF - Aura Sphere Pokemon - Discover & Share GIFs

Togekiss @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect​

Anyone familiar with the doubles format knows just how versatile and unpredictable Togekiss can be. Whether it be bulky Follow me support, classic ThunderSlash NoFun4U, or in this build's case, Crit-kiss, or Toge-krit, or whatever you like to call it. As stated before, both Togekiss and Volcarona are here to help give offensive pressure for when Kingdra inevitable bites the dust. Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam are for STAB and Heat wave for coverage against steel types. Whether or not Togekiss can successfully pressure your opponent normally comes down to how often you crit, which might sound bad, but thanks to Super Luck and Scope Lens, it isn't as bad as you think it is.

Volcarona used Fireblast! - Album on Imgur

Volcarona @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Protect​

Last, and possibly least on the team, Volcarona. Like Kiss, it's here as a means to pressure offensively and put the hurt on the opponent with STAB Heat Wave. Quiver Dance isn't terrible hard to set up thanks to Volcarona's speed and Amonguss's support in Rage Powder, and when combined with Aguav Berry and Giga Drain can allow for it to stick on the field for a decent amount of the time. However, due to Politoed, Volcarona can sometimes struggle to even get on the field in the first place. Thankfully that's not a HUGE deal, because the rest of the team is easily suited to be able to deal with pokemon that Volcarona can struggle against. Regardless though, there have been a handful of matches where Volcarona just kinda sat on the bench and did nothing. While that isn't inherently a bad thing, it is possible that perhaps another pokemon could fill Volc's spot better (what that pokemon is though I've yet to be able to answer).

I'm also going to quickly cover some duos that work well together for one or more reasons.

How to piss people off

Spore plus Icy Wind is very annoying for teams to deal with, along with Scald and Sludge Bomb for chip damage. This is also a common opener for me due to their bulk.

It's Raining Men

Set up that rain, smash heads with Helping Hand and whatever move Kingdra needs to use. Nothing much else to say.

A Spear and a Shield

One's bulky support, the other's an offensive threat. Simple as that

DEATH TO ALL

This is almost never a lead, and can only properly be paired together when rain is already set up, but when they are, there ain't much that's gonna stand in their way.

Why only hit one?

Heat Wave and Dazzling Gleam can deal quite the amount of damage when paired together, especially with Quiver Dance. Speaking of which...

Quiver Dancin'

Rage Powder and Spore make it pretty easy for Volcarona to just start setting up Quiver Dances.

Those are all the main parings, but other pairings I didn't mention such as Scizor and Togekiss or Togekiss and Amoonguss work well too.
I don't have anything in terms of replays, but I do have a screenshot of the record I have with them as of the making of this post. You also get to see my not so pretty winrate in Gen 7 OU.
Annotation 2020-06-23 201619.png

Well anyway, that's the team. Let me know what your thoughts are on it along with possible advice as to how I can do better with it. As you can see I'm currently at 1384 with it and climbing steadily, so any advice to help me climb that ladder better would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
AustinXX555

Hey! I actually really like your team. I have just a few suggestions that I think will make your team better. I'll go member by member.

Politoed
A more efficient spread you could try is 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD with a Calm Nature. This allows Politoed to survive a Jolly Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat, with the rest of the EVs dumped into Special Defense. Toxic is another option over Helping Hand, but I actually like HH for this team so I think you should keep it.

Kingdra
I would absolutely fit Muddy Water on the moveset. Muddy Water is Kingdra's most spammable STAB attack and is what you'll probably be clicking most of the time. Honestly, you could replace Draco Meteor, Hurricane, or Hydro Pump with it. Personally, I would drop Hydro Pump since you already have Water STAB and Draco Meteor and Hurricane hit common switch-ins such as Rillaboom, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Blastoise, etc. Some other people would drop Draco, so it's up to you.

Amoonguss Rillaboom
I would change Amoonguss to a Rillaboom for a few reasons. First, I think Rillaboom is overall the better pokemon: Fake Out, priority STAB, terrain control, etc. You lose out on redirection, but Togekiss can provide that for you so it's not the biggest lost. Grassy Terrain is very useful for getting rid of Psychic Terrain, which lets Scizor use it's best STAB move in Bullet Punch. The EVs on my set survive two +2 Kommo-o Clanging Scales. You can also move some EVs from Defense to Speed to try to get the jump on other Rillaboom.
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Scizor
Choice Band Scizor is developing to its best set in the current metagame. You're able to hit incredibly hard, pivot out with U-Turn, and be a strong check to Fairy types. I have not seen AV Scizor used, and I have a feeling it doesn't provide much damage unfortunately. Brick Break doesn't really make any sense on your team; you would rather pivot out against Steels and screens aren't seen much in Doubles. I would absolutely go U-Turn instead. Furthermore, instead of X-Scissor, I'd use Bug Bite. It hits harder than X-Scizzor due to Technician, and can eat Sitrus Berries from Blastoise, Togekiss, etc. I like going max speed so you can (hopefully) outspeed Rillaboom and hit it before it U-Turns out, which is even more important when running Rain.
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Bug Bite
- Duel Wingbeat

Togekiss
I would definitely use a Support Togekiss since you don't have a solid Urshifu switch-in. Furthermore, with Kingdra, Scizor, and Volcarona, you should be doing enough damage. Tailwind and Follow Me support can be critical for your damage dealers. They can let Volcarona set up, let Kingdra keep spamming Muddy Water, and well as have Scizor be fast. The EVs on my set outspace Zeraora in Tailwind, as well as survive a Jolly Life Orb Plasma Fists from it.
Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 44 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me
- Tailwind

Volcarona Urshifu
It seems you're not too set on using Volcarona on rain; I would suggest Urshifu take its place. Urshifu is one of the best pokemon in the metagame and punishes the common bulkier style of play. It also gives you a more consistent answer to Rain threats such as Sand (Tyranitar/Gigalith), Chansey, and Blastoise. I like Choice Band because you do so much damage.
Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)